Softube releases Amp Room and Marshall Cabinet Collection - Page 4 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube releases Amp Room and Marshall Cabinet Collection
Old 16th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Well, there you have it. I "had" S-gear but finally trashed it. When I first bought it, it sounded great to me, then various other amp sims like Amplitube 4 and the UAD amps (some of which are Softube) came along and S-gear didn't sound so great to me anymore. Same fate met BIAS Amp 2 and Overloud TH-U..they didn't hold up against other amp sims I have, so goodbye to them. And they were expensive!
In the spirit of sound being subjective, I find S-Gear to be entirely on-point with its newest amps (Wayfarer and Custom '57) which seem to have a higher degree of realism than its other amps. Neural DSP and Fuse Audio Labs have risen up to join them, but I hesitate to say that they've surpassed S-Gear. It depends on the amp, the guitar, and the intended tone. I definitely feel that Amplitube is still trailing in every way. I can't comment on UAD, other than to say that the guitar-related software which lives in the OX hardware is all excellent (rooms, cabs, delays, etc.) and they've always held high standards.

If you've not toyed with S-Gear's Wayfarer and Custom '57 amps -- and their new IRs -- then I'd suggest that you give it another try.
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
In the spirit of sound being subjective, I find S-Gear to be entirely on-point with its newest amps (Wayfarer and Custom '57) which seem to have a higher degree of realism than its other amps. Neural DSP and Fuse Audio Labs have risen up to join them, but I hesitate to say that they've surpassed S-Gear. It depends on the amp, the guitar, and the intended tone. I definitely feel that Amplitube is still trailing in every way. I can't comment on UAD, other than to say that the guitar-related software which lives in the OX hardware is all excellent (rooms, cabs, delays, etc.) and they've always held high standards.

If you've not toyed with S-Gear's Wayfarer and Custom '57 amps -- and their new IRs -- then I'd suggest that you give it another try.
I’ve used both the Wayfarer and Custom 57 amps..
didn’t float my boat. But it all goes back to
being subjective..arguing about which amp
sim is better is pointless.
Old 21st June 2020
Gear Nut

Will other purchase Softube plugins run in Amp Room? I see Tube Delay is in there but that is it.
Old 21st June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelia View Post
Will other purchase Softube plugins run in Amp Room? I see Tube Delay is in there but that is it.
The list is here: https://www.softube.com/amp-room-ecosystem
Old 21st June 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Well, there you have it. I "had" S-gear but finally trashed it. When I first bought it, it sounded great to me, then various other amp sims like Amplitube 4 and the UAD amps (some of which are Softube) came along and S-gear didn't sound so great to me anymore. Same fate met BIAS Amp 2 and Overloud TH-U..they didn't hold up against other amp sims I have, so goodbye to them. And they were expensive!

It's all relative..if you like the sound of a particular amp sim, then it's good. "Sounds good" is always relative and a matter of personal preference, it can't really be an absolute.

So here's my personal response to the "new" Amp Room..maybe just a small improvement over the old, but not much. Not enough to make me want to use it. But $29 wasn't too bad a price to pay to find out.

What are the other sims they didn't hold up against? Amplitube and UAD?
Old 22nd June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayveekay View Post
Thanks, I thought the "Run these and more in Amp Room" implied that other Softube plugins would/should be showing up. Sadly I only have Tape and Tube Delay. Would have been nice to use TLA-100A, Dyna-mite, Drawmer etc. Still, I'm digging it.
Old 22nd June 2020
The higain amp has nice low-end.
Sounds pretty good on first try.
The Marshall definitely has the sound and the "ziiing" in the top end. Unfortunately it still has the gnarly/dry hi-mids that all softube amps has, without boosting with a pedal in front.
The IR-room thing is a nice feature to have it sound more realistic. A little goes a long way.
The pedals sounds good so far.
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3nge View Post
What are the other sims they didn't hold up against? Amplitube and UAD?
I’ll answer that with the disclaimer, they
didn’t hold up “for me” against Amplitube4 Fender and Fender 2
Brian May, and Ampeg SVX2, nor did they
hold up against STL Tonehub, UAD Diezel
VH4 and Herbert, UAD 55 Fender Tweed, UAD Marshalls, UAD Friedman Buxom Betty, UAD Fuchs Train II,
UAD Ampeg VR and Eden WT800 (which is
a Softube product, I know).
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Nut

Any opinions on the Marshall Cabinet Collection? I nearly bought it but stopped thinking it can't really bring much to what amp room does already. Right?
Old 23rd June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by morelia View Post
Any opinions on the Marshall Cabinet Collection? I nearly bought it but stopped thinking it can't really bring much to what amp room does already. Right?
I would say that the softube Marshall sound is pretty spot on in some regards.
If I compare to Slates IRs for THU rigplayer Softube definately has the right sound to it. Slates IR is more lowMid and dark.
S-gears Marshall is also good where you can change the sound of the amp in many ways.
Neural fortin also has that hi-Mid sound in their sound that I think is the sound of many Marshalls I tried. God knows im not an expert in this area so dont take my word to technical
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

So, they just unleashed a boatload of new amps for this and for standalone as well. The 29 usd for the upgrade was as suspected just to get us hooked. Now they start to reel us in.
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Addict
so what ? Does someone hold a gun to your head and forces you to buy it ?
geeez
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
So, they just unleashed a boatload of new amps for this and for standalone as well. The 29 usd for the upgrade was as suspected just to get us hooked. Now they start to reel us in.
Yes! It would be best if they didn’t issue those amp emulations because they just did it to take your money. Actually it would be best if there weren’t any plugins because they are all made to take your money. Now that I think of it there shouldn’t be any recording technology because all those mics and tape recorders are made to take your money. Of course there shouldn’t be any musical instruments too because they are all made to take your money. You could sit somewhere and sing. How’s your voice?
Old 23rd June 2020
Here for the gear
Has anyone talk to Softube about upgrading from Amp Room essentials? I emailed them two weeks ago about it and still haven't gotten a reply.

I love Softube's plugins, but it really sucks when you've literally given hundreds maybe thousands of dollars to a company and they can't respond to a simple email.
Old 23rd June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3nge View Post
Has anyone talk to Softube about upgrading from Amp Room essentials? I emailed them two weeks ago about it and still haven't gotten a reply.

I love Softube's plugins, but it really sucks when you've literally given hundreds maybe thousands of dollars to a company and they can't respond to a simple email.
Two weeks is a long time to be on hold. Did you try sending that email a 2nd time? Sometimes messages get diverted into their spam folders, same as us civilians.
Old 24th June 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Two weeks is a long time to be on hold. Did you try sending that email a 2nd time? Sometimes messages get diverted into their spam folders, same as us civilians.
Good point. I sent a reply in the same email thread, but maybe I should try a new one.
Old 24th June 2020
Is the Amp Room just their old amps and other stuff in a new package?
Or have they redone some of the plugins.
I mean its a nice package and all, and it sounds pretty cool.
Old 24th June 2020
Gear Addict

I`m fine with upgrade price,
but I can`t for the life of me find which specific modules are shipped with the platform:

"... Amp Room comes with 6 amplifiers, 16 cabinets, 10 effects pedals,
3 studio effects (including the American Class A channel strip as 2 modules), 8 utility modules ..."

Can someone shed some light on it?
Old 24th June 2020
dio
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar View Post
I`m fine with upgrade price,
but I can`t for the life of me find which specific modules are shipped with the platform:

"... Amp Room comes with 6 amplifiers, 16 cabinets, 10 effects pedals,
3 studio effects (including the American Class A channel strip as 2 modules), 8 utility modules ..."

Can someone shed some light on it?
From

https://www.softube.com/products/amp-room

scroll down and you will eventually see:

What's included?

Amps

One of the guitar amps is the Marshall JCM800, a classic from 1981 that embodies the essence of the Marshall sound. Other amps include a 1964 model that’s great for British Invasion tones, a 1966 version of a classic American combo amplifier that’s made for semi-dirty blues riffs, a German high-gain amp designed for metal, and a late 70s bass amp that’s perfect for classic rock. There’s also a custom DI direct input that adds direct injection functionality so you can blend the bass amp with an unprocessed bass track.

Cabs

The cabs include several 1960 Marshall models for rock and metal guitar and bass. Whether you want a bright and focused sound with weight and punch, lots of vintage character, tightness with a percussive mid-punch, or as much bass as you could possibly need while maintaining clarity and definition in the high mids, Amp Room has you covered with a wide variety of options from which to quickly achieve a great sound.

Pedals

The pedals are expertly designed by Softube as emulations of specific pedals or combinations of the best ones. There’s an overdrive pedal for rock and blues guitar, a reverb pedal for epic and almost infinite perturbations, an equalizer to give your sound a little more sparkle, a compressor for a funkier sound, a chorus pedal for 80s vibes, the Marshall Guv’nor pedal for heavy, distorted tones, a delay pedal to add rhythmic effects in musical arrangements, and more.

Mics & Options

All cabs have at least one mic that you can move around during any stage of the creative process. In some cab modules, you can move the mics anywhere, while in others, they have fixed positions with various combinations. For cabs with two microphones, there’s a mix slider that allows you to set the balance between the two and a continuous width fader that sets the overall stereo image. The cabs with Revisited in their names have been recorded with several mics so that you can select any single mic or combination that gives you the sound you want.

Studio FX

Amp Room is also compatible with a selection of Amp Room ready plug-ins that can be loaded as modules. One of them is the punchy American Class A channel strip included as two modules – a compressor and an equalizer. There are many other options available too, including Tape, Tube-Tech CL 1B, and more.

Utility modules

The utility modules included in Amp Room allow you to filter, adjust gain, mute, adjust the volume or pan, phase align between parallel signal paths, or frequency split signals in a path.
Old 24th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
From

https://www.softube.com/products/amp-room

scroll down and you will eventually see:

What's included?

Amps

One of the guitar amps is the Marshall JCM800, a classic from 1981 that embodies the essence of the Marshall sound. Other amps include a 1964 model that’s great for British Invasion tones, a 1966 version of a classic American combo amplifier that’s made for semi-dirty blues riffs, a German high-gain amp designed for metal, and a late 70s bass amp that’s perfect for classic rock. There’s also a custom DI direct input that adds direct injection functionality so you can blend the bass amp with an unprocessed bass track.

Cabs

The cabs include several 1960 Marshall models for rock and metal guitar and bass. Whether you want a bright and focused sound with weight and punch, lots of vintage character, tightness with a percussive mid-punch, or as much bass as you could possibly need while maintaining clarity and definition in the high mids, Amp Room has you covered with a wide variety of options from which to quickly achieve a great sound.

Pedals

The pedals are expertly designed by Softube as emulations of specific pedals or combinations of the best ones. There’s an overdrive pedal for rock and blues guitar, a reverb pedal for epic and almost infinite perturbations, an equalizer to give your sound a little more sparkle, a compressor for a funkier sound, a chorus pedal for 80s vibes, the Marshall Guv’nor pedal for heavy, distorted tones, a delay pedal to add rhythmic effects in musical arrangements, and more.

Mics & Options

All cabs have at least one mic that you can move around during any stage of the creative process. In some cab modules, you can move the mics anywhere, while in others, they have fixed positions with various combinations. For cabs with two microphones, there’s a mix slider that allows you to set the balance between the two and a continuous width fader that sets the overall stereo image. The cabs with Revisited in their names have been recorded with several mics so that you can select any single mic or combination that gives you the sound you want.

Studio FX

Amp Room is also compatible with a selection of Amp Room ready plug-ins that can be loaded as modules. One of them is the punchy American Class A channel strip included as two modules – a compressor and an equalizer. There are many other options available too, including Tape, Tube-Tech CL 1B, and more.

Utility modules

The utility modules included in Amp Room allow you to filter, adjust gain, mute, adjust the volume or pan, phase align between parallel signal paths, or frequency split signals in a path.
Thanks @ dio ,
I`ve seen that, pretty vague for the most part
so I aksed if some did a guess work based on purchase.
But it`s fine if not
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone else having problems with Amp Room crashing their Daw?

I am using Cubase Pro 10 on Windows 10 64 Bit version 1909 using RME FF UFX II via USB.

Both VST 2.4 and VST 3 are causing crashes.
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Addict

Here`s the the small print btw (reminiscent of a Softube mail),
owners of former standalones i.e. Bass Room are having legacies if no upgrade to Amp Room.
Remain to be supported but not updated (from my understanding).

After playing around with the shipped components
I`m not impressed that much, somewhat doesn`t sound "right" but rather plastic-ish.
I like the very idea of modules,
there`s plenty of room for competitiveness on the basic modules yet,
otherwise it`s more like a purchase to stay future-proof with Softube (see small print above).

Last edited by omkar; 4th July 2020 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 4th July 2020
Anyone tried or bought the new modules from Marshall and how do you think they sound?
Old 6th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Anyone else having problems with Amp Room crashing their Daw?

I am using Cubase Pro 10 on Windows 10 64 Bit version 1909 using RME FF UFX II via USB.

Both VST 2.4 and VST 3 are causing crashes.
Not crashing, but Amp Room appears to be a resource hog and I occasionally get a 'not enough resources to load' error in Pro Tools. I do not get this with any other amp sim plug-in.
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedMinds View Post
Not crashing, but Amp Room appears to be a resource hog and I occasionally get a 'not enough resources to load' error in Pro Tools. I do not get this with any other amp sim plug-in.
I have tried it in Cubase Pro 10, FL Studio 20 and NI Maschine 2 and it's a problem in all 3. I'll just submit a ticket to Softube I think.

I bought Amp Room and the Marshall Cabs.

Think I'll hold off getting the Marshall amp bundle until Softube sorts the problems as I want to use the amps in Amp Room.

I also don't get this problem with any other amp sim and I have quite a few.
Old 7th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedMinds View Post
Similar experience. Very high CPU load.
Old 7th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezident View Post
Yeah you could basically just use the amp room for the free API EQ and compressors.

Hopefully Softube will fix this and make it paid so that people won’t exploit their product for a cheaper and slightly reduced version of their API collection!

It’s definitely worth the money to buy the full version plus you get preamp emulation which is always worth it.
Dude, are you serious? Please tell us you're kidding. Otherwise you're about the biggest ****** I've come across here.. that's no small feat either.

WTF would even possess you to say something like that anyway? As mentioned (and quoted) before, the American Class A EQ and Compressor are listed in the product page as included. You'd prefer it wasn't so that you could pay more? Why? You completely blew my mind with that comment man. Wow.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Addict
A ********* with 20 posts insults others... classic
Old 7th July 2020
dio
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeru215 View Post
Dude, are you serious? Please tell us you're kidding. Otherwise you're about the biggest ****** I've come across here.. that's no small feat either.

WTF would even possess you to say something like that anyway? As mentioned (and quoted) before, the American Class A EQ and Compressor are listed in the product page as included. You'd prefer it wasn't so that you could pay more? Why? You completely blew my mind with that comment man. Wow.
He probably owns the full version and he hates that people may get a stripped-down version for a reduced price. The reason? I think that you've already mentioned it.
📝 Reply