The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Rooster Audio announces the KH-COMP1
Old 7th June 2020
Lives for gear

KH-COMP1
ORIGINAL LEVELLING AMPLIFIER
OVERVIEW
Creativity and innovation have long been restrained by a set of rules on how music is to be created and how tools are intended to be used. A new generation of mix artists is here to challenge those archaic concepts that rely on the limits of 50-year-old studio gear, while still making use of our beloved vintage classics. The time has come to push the limits of sound and unleash your creativity!

When we first started working with the multi-platinum, award-winning mix engineer, producer and sound enthusiast Koen Heldens on our plugin series, we had no doubt that we were going to produce some extraordinary tools.

Koen Heldens Signature Compressor
Studio Compressor
Levelling Amplifier
Audio plug-in
Koen is the expert when it comes to producing some of the best and most streamed albums in the hip-hop genre - and while his experience and understanding of music allow him to create and shape the emotional foundation of a song, he also has a deep knowledge of the technical aspects and limitations of each plugin and DAW he holds in his arsenal.

His go-to tools were missing some fine-tuning, so he was in need of a very specific, bespoke compressor solution, that was like no other on the market today. His ideas of process timing, channel linking and sidechain filtering have really pushed the team to come up with an entirely new tool.

The result of countless development hours and listening sessions is a one-of-a-kind, beast of a compressor, that is up to the standards of one of the greatest producers of the moment, and that includes the best levelling amplifier that Black Rooster Audio has developed to date.

FEATURES
4 DETECTOR MODES - HILBERT/PEAK/VINTAGE/RMS
The KH-COMP1 Compressor offers incredible versatility for shaping the envelope that drives this unit - for broad or precise capturing of the sidechain level. The 4 detector modes allow for the most flexibility with time parameters and precise threshold control. The Hilbert detector is a 90-degree phase shifter, that will show the signal’s exact envelope, without any distortion or overshoots. Forget about true peak, this is the real deal!

INVERTIBLE SC FILTER
The sidechain signal can be trimmed perfectly using the 2-band invertible filter. Both the low and high ends can be processed according to your needs, which will allow for more control with ducking, pumping effects and de-essing. With inverting the filter, you are able to surgically cut out the mids. With the “listen” option, you can double-check your SC filter settings, before it will be handled by the envelope detector.

BLENDED STEREO-LINK
Blending dual mono to stereo is very helpful when you need detailed control over the relation between the stereo channels and their processing.

KNEE PARAMETER
The knee parameter smoothes out the compression effect beautifully, for a seamless result. If you’re aiming for a harsher effect, just let your signal brush over the hard edge.

SSE2 OPTIMIZED CODE
DSP operations are pipelined using the SSE2 instruction set. This ensures a high-performance operation despite its very complex computations.

ZERO LATENCY
The KH-COMP1 is a zero-latency compressor that does not require sample delay compensation, making it ideal for real-time monitoring or live environments.

HIGHDPI/RETINA SUPPORT
The user interfaces support high pixel density on both Windows and Mac OS systems, giving you the most enjoyable user experience on high DPI displays. Please refer to your DAW manual to learn whether it is HighDPI compatible if you're working on Windows.

ABOUT THE KOEN HELDENS SIGNATURE SERIES:
The collaboration between Black Rooster Audio and Koen Heldens began with a genuine artist endorsement and has evolved into a great creative partnership. We have maintained a close dialogue over the last 2 years, exchanging technical and artistic knowledge. This dialogue ultimately turned creating original software together into a very inspiring symbiosis. Koen is one of the most knowledgeable and hard-working engineers in the business and has produced music with world-renowned artists, shaping their sound in his very unique style at every opportunity. We are pleased and proud to have Koen use our plugins extensively in every mix and to create his Signature Series.

The series begins with the very unique and versatile KH-COMP1 studio compressor (AAX/VST/AU) and will be followed by three additional units, all designed by Black Rooster Audio in collaboration with Koen Heldens.

https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/products/kh-comp1
Old 8th June 2020
This thing looks very cool, demos are impressive... are you giving any discounts to anyone who purchased the Stay Home Bundle?
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcenter View Post
This thing looks very cool, demos are impressive... are you giving any discounts to anyone who purchased the Stay Home Bundle?
I'm not affiliated with black rooster. I'm just posting this to make people aware it's our since there's absolutely no talk about it which im shocked they won't even at least promote it here the largest audiophile forum around.
Old 8th June 2020
Yeah I found it odd that there is no official thread abou it.
Old 8th June 2020
Gear Head

I beleive there was supposed to be a intro price sale of $95 or something like that. For people who signed up for the mailing list.
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

they know it will find its way here to plugin doctor firing squad lol...they've put money and focus on a broader audience...I see an ad every 3 secs on IG
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Walker View Post
I beleive there was supposed to be a intro price sale of $95 or something like that. For people who signed up for the mailing list.
That's exactly like it is.
Old 8th June 2020
Gear Maniac

How is it? Can't demo at the moment, too much on. Will demo at the end of the week. Blurb sounds interesting tho.
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

Following. There are options on this I'm not at all familiar with.
Old 8th June 2020
Gear Addict

KH-COMP1 |Koen Heldens Signature Compressor

Koen Heldens is one expert when it comes to producing some of the best and most-streamed albums in the hip-hop genre - so when the collaboration opportunity arose, we knew that we'd create some exceptional tools together.

His go-to plug-ins needed some fine-tuning to meet his needs, so we developed a bespoke solution that is like no other compressor on the market today. Koen's ideas of process timing, channel linking and sidechain filtering have really pushed the BRA team to create this one-of-a-kind tool.

The result of countless development hours and listening sessions is this beast of a compressor, that is up to the standards of one of the greatest mixing engineers of the moment, and that includes the best levelling amplifier that Black Rooster Audio has developed to date, available as AAX/VST/AU.

Please make use of our 14-day trial and check out this incredible compression unit.

The KH-COMP1 will be released on the 10th of June.
If you subscribe to our newsletter, you will get exclusive access to the pre-sale of the KH-COMP1 for only $95 instead of $139 for a limited time only!

-------------------------------

FEATURES
4 DETECTOR MODES - HILBERT/PEAK/VINTAGE/RMS
The KH-COMP1 Compressor offers incredible versatility for shaping the envelope that drives this unit - for broad or precise capturing of the sidechain level. The 4 detector modes allow for the most flexibility with time parameters and precise threshold control. The Hilbert detector is a 90-degree phase shifter, that will show the signal’s exact envelope, without any distortion or overshoots. Forget about true peak, this is the real deal! In fact, it is the fastet envelope detector on the market!

INVERTIBLE SC FILTER
The sidechain signal can be trimmed perfectly using the 2-band invertible filter. Both the low and high ends can be processed according to your needs, which will allow for more control with ducking, pumping effects and de-essing. With inverting the filter, you are able to surgically cut out the mids. With the “listen” option, you can double-check your SC filter settings, before it will be handled by the envelope detector.

BLENDED STEREO-LINK
Blending dual mono to stereo is very helpful when you need detailed control over the relation between the stereo channels and their processing.

KNEE PARAMETER
The knee parameter smoothes out the compression effect beautifully, for a seamless result. If you’re aiming for a harsher effect, just let your signal brush over the hard edge.

SSE2 OPTIMIZED CODE
DSP operations are pipelined using the SSE2 instruction set. This ensures a high-performance operation despite its very complex computations.

ZERO LATENCY
The KH-COMP1 is a zero-latency compressor that does not require sample delay compensation, making it ideal for real-time monitoring or live environments.

HIGHDPI/RETINA SUPPORT
The user interfaces support high pixel density on both Windows and Mac OS systems, giving you the most enjoyable user experience on high DPI displays. Please refer to your DAW manual to learn whether it is HighDPI compatible if you're working on Windows.

* For further info, please click here.
* To register for our newsletter, please click here.

#blackroosteraudio #koenheldens #khcomp1 #stayhome #staysafe
Old 8th June 2020
unr
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcenter View Post
Besides the second demo, it does not sound as they are gain matched.
Especially Drums and Violins Demo.

I'm testing it currently on the master channel, but the Make Up gain control is not fine enough to easily match the input. I'm really not sure why the scale begins with +3 db :(
Anyway, compared against Unisum on the Master this is not better for the price. Maybe I need to dig deeper. But the demos are not saying much because the lack of matched (perceived) loudness.

Anyone tested it on something where it excels?
Old 9th June 2020
Despite all the raving reviews about Black Rooster on GS and how great quality their plugins are, it's odd than not many people talk about it or tested it yet.

I downloaded the demo and so far I have mixed feelings it seems it can be great but also,but sometimes I need to tweak it a bit to make it appropriate for some tracks. I can say it's a grabby, clean it has great features which I belive are its strengths, soft knee makes it much more easy to work also I like the MOJO you get from the vintage section not a lot just a touch.

Tried it on mix bus, drum busses and instrument busses, so far I can say it can become a quick great buss compressor when you learn how to set it and make use of the filters, knee. And modes.

I'm not sure I would buy it for that price based on how many compressors I already got but I must say I'm really interested in it.

Forgot to mention that you can make the output gain work with small values but you should touch it softly I make 2dB adjustments all the time, it's just the values start on 3dB.

I would like also the possibility to click on the difrent modes to select them (on their names) hope it will get that soon
Old 9th June 2020
[Sorry double post]
Old 10th June 2020
Gear Head

I just published a review of KH-COMP1. I spent the last week working with it and was impressed by its breadth of features, especially the Listen feature coupled with the invertible filtering, the multiple detector modes and sidechaining, and the extremely low CPU use.

Check out the review here:

https://homestudiotoday.com/black-ro...-comp1-review/

Cheers!
Old 10th June 2020
Gear Maniac

First I wanted to ignore this compressor because it is a bit on the pricey side but I just tested it, wow. It is really amazing! I really like the open sound of it, I used it on a pretty dynamic vocal track and it really nails it! I compared it Nebula libraries : C660 of Cupwise, TimP U76. Off course those are very different compressors but this comp is so easy to set up! I will think about it but guys, you did really an amazing job!!!
Old 10th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd83 View Post
First I wanted to ignore this compressor because it is a bit on the pricey side but I just tested it, wow. It is really amazing! I really like the open sound of it, I used it on a pretty dynamic vocal track and it really nails it! I compared it Nebula libraries : C660 of Cupwise, TimP U76. Off course those are very different compressors but this comp is so easy to set up! I will think about it but guys, you did really an amazing job!!!
Thank you very much!
Old 10th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster View Post
Who said I would not grant you your discount, even if you have received the email late or felt you didn't have time enough to properly test the plug-in? We are not Plugin Alliance, you can get back to me at any time and we will find a decent solution for whatever issue you might have.
BlackRooster == quality customer service

After the covid sale last month, I am seriously impressed by this company / André. Also, the plugins are awesome as well
Old 10th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
BlackRooster == quality customer service

After the covid sale last month, I am seriously impressed by this company / André. Also, the plugins are awesome as well
Thank you!
Old 10th June 2020
Lives for gear

I hope you will come to a good end.

My experience with BRA is very good concerning the support philosophy and of course the excellent audio quality. I already had several email correspondence and they always help directly or try to find a solution.

Here's an interesting video:

And this interesting interview:
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

I guess its time to downlosd this and see what all the hub bub is about
Old 11th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Did a pretty intensive test with this compressor, putted it on vocals : the vocals really shine true it! They sound open and transparent! Putted it on drums (in combination with the Talk Back Limiter!) and it really nails it! I had Pink4 (Acustica Audio) on the drum track and this compressor blows it away! I am so impressed. Putted it also on synths. Most of the time I don't like compressors on a synth buss because it is doing way to much to it but I used the vintage setting and just a touch of compression and bam, it blends in very well in the complete mix!

First I thought this is being a bit overhyped but this compressor is so versatile! It is amazing. This is my new standard compressor where I am going to reach out for

I bought it this morning
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

I checked it also. It´s on par sound-quality-wise with UNISUM. Has not as much options of course (Unisum is THE reference now). But it is a great allrounder and just sounds fantastic.
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd83 View Post
Did a pretty intensive test with this compressor, putted it on vocals : the vocals really shine true it! They sound open and transparent! Putted it on drums (in combination with the Talk Back Limiter!) and it really nails it! I had Pink4 (Acustica Audio) on the drum track and this compressor blows it away! I am so impressed. Putted it also on synths. Most of the time I don't like compressors on a synth buss because it is doing way to much to it but I used the vintage setting and just a touch of compression and bam, it blends in very well in the complete mix!

First I thought this is being a bit overhyped but this compressor is so versatile! It is amazing. This is my new standard compressor where I am going to reach out for

I bought it this morning
Thank you!
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

I want to demo it and it asks me for a serial number when I load the plugin into cubase.

Please forum help me out what I am doing wrong here...
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

Aren't you given different options when opening it up the first time in Cubase?
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Aren't you given different options when opening it up the first time in Cubase?
Different options?

Maybe I missed something.
But I was seeing I my the plugin window with a lock symbol on top and when I click it another window pops up and wants my email address which is no problem because I am already a black rooster customer and a serial which as far as I know i didn't get.

More fumbljng Tomorrow. Maybe a reinstall...
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Different options?

But I was seeing I my the plugin window with a lock symbol on top and when I click it another window pops up and wants my email address which is no problem because I am already a black rooster customer and a serial which as far as I know i didn't get.

Go to your account on the BRA website and copy your serial number to the clipboard, then paste it when you click on the lock symbol.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please forum help me out what I am doing wrong here.
You might have to press a “demo” button where KH COMP-1 is listed to have a new serial number generated.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Different options?

Sorry, than I can't help. I never demoed BRA stuff, I always bought it blindly. Please mail Andre from BRA, the support is excellent.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you guys, I managed it.

It somehow slipped my mind that I had to insert a demo licence.

Up and running now
📝 Reply