The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Rooster Audio announces the KH-COMP1
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

Although of course I'm now comparing it to my normal bus compressors and preferring it. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh :-D
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

Bloody good on bass too.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

I'm just going to continue chatting to myself on this thread :-D

I just downloaded the unisum demo, and I tried everything I have on a drum buss, using 8-10 db of GR to really test them. Waves RComp and the Scheps channel were crap on similar settings to BR ash, BR KH Comp and Unisum. I wish the range of attack and release times was bigger on KH Comp (unless I misundestood the units), but I really like KH comp. I indeed got a very transparent sound after playing around, but with a bit of oomph. I agree that unisum is more transparent, but it's not like KH comp is that far off when you play with it.

KH comp is delivering a great version of the slightly crazed Britpop drum sounds I love. Smashed, but without sounding flat, and transparent when you back it off.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Haha. I want to end your loneliness. Yes KH can get close or evenly good as Unisum. Unisum can go everywhere. Whatever situation you got on a 2 bus, you completely can reshape or take exactly like you want it. KH is great on its own and sounds really good also. Both are great plugins for different tasks imo. Cool you like KH, it was a blind buy for me. Would blindbuy again. Cheers.

PS. Is anyone of you into Edelweis from BRA? I'm a sucker for channel strips and this can do a lot, but I have to work myself much deeper into it. I wonder myself why there is hardly any information about it.
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

I recently purchased Unisum.
I can't say I understand and use it all yet, but I like it.
I downloaded the demo from yesterday and tried KH-comp1 on drums, vocals, etc.
It seems to be comparable to Unisum in basic quality.
At first glance, Unisum seems to be able to do what KH-Comp1 can do.
I tried to reproduce with Unisum where KH showed a good performance on drums and vocals, but it was rather easy to do.
I haven't found a reason to use Unisum and KH separately yet.
Should I buy KH too, or should I concentrate on using Unisum more?
I'd like to hear from users who are highly proficient with these two compressors about the advantages of KH that Unisum doesn't have.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

The KH-Comp1 obviously have a much faster workflow... In which I think is much more useful across multiple tracks/busses in a mix... While Unisum IS a mastering compressor by nature.

Fiddling around the mixing stage with many Unisums may take you a long time to dial in... It will probably take you a long time just to put it on to good use on your mixbus.

So, in any way, shape or form, I see these two as different tools for different stages in your mix/production... But that's me

PS. Yes, I have both... and they are both GREAT compressors, but for different tasks IMO
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

I'm still working on learning it. I sold one compressor (IRON) and bought this one - the $35 or whatnot was too good to pass up. So far, I don't think it's as transparent as Kotelnikov GE. I tried Unisum after it was released and didn't think I'd get $120+ more utility out of it than KGE, and still don't, as I'm not a pro engineer - KGE seemed like it could get me 90% of the way there in a fraction of the time, but I also didn't master Unisum before uninstalling it.

As of now, I'm seeing KH1 maybe at track level as one of a few to try, likely at bus level of a smaller set of comps, but not mixbus, because that's solely KGE. I don't know that I'd call KH1 "transparent", but it can be "clean, or have punch".

The re-sizable UI on the BRA plugins now is a godsend.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

That pre-sale price of $95 doesn't seem so great now that you can get it for $42 a couple months later. Ouch.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

As of now, I'm seeing KH1 maybe at track level as one of a few to try, likely at bus level of a smaller set of comps, but not mixbus, because that's solely KGE. I don't know that I'd call KH1 "transparent", but it can be "clean, or have punch".

The re-sizable UI on the BRA plugins now is a godsend.[/QUOTE]

I have Kotelnikov and the other TDR plugins on the mixbus as well. I agree KH1
is a great low CPU track compressor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDX View Post

The re-sizable UI on the BRA plugins now is a godsend.

39€ today !

70% on all BLA.

I'm redownloading the whole pack because:

Version 2.5.1 (August 3rd 2020)

+ Installer Post-Script Compatibility Extension
+ BlueAsh SC-5 Renaming
+ BlackAsh SC-5 Renaming
+ Added resizing options (150% & 200%)

Thanks BLA !!

Last edited by DownSideUp; 4 weeks ago at 11:31 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's dope. Thanks for the information. Greasy to know. BRA doesn't give mail information when a new version of the installer is out as far as I know. Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
That's dope. Thanks for the information. Greasy to know. BRA doesn't give mail information when a new version of the installer is out as far as I know. Cheers
you're welcome !

I'm demoing it on a master bus and I like it. Hard for me to judge the detection option. I'll have to dig in a bit.

I own way too many compressors but some I didn't gel with or understood them totally ( Iron, Shadow Hill Class I'm not sure I like the workflow). I won't get unisum. Magic Death Eye, I could check the hype ( Greg Wells has it on ALL his buses).

I still want Alpha Compressor now that it's fixed officially, I have always connected with it. density and movement, focus. Instant better maker for me most of the time, and fast to get great results. MS mode king.

Anyway I might get KH, also because I love BLA. They helped me get rid of UAD, with other options, plenty of cool emulations: easy on the eye and great sounding. Also this is going partly to a relief fund.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You're welcome too

I also got many comps. But not too many. I appreciate all the different characters, actions and functions different units offer. There is a place for every single plugin comp. Usually I go for all the Softube comps and Fuse Audio comps and limiters. The new Neold Telefunken emulation is in the same league now. Absolute amazing. Sometimes I go for Trackcomp2 (kind of its own). Or something from Plugin Alliance. Now the Elysia comp is fixed I'm getting interested. And of course MJUC pro, my all time favourite... or the new Unisum.
Why do I love the BRA comps and think they are great additions? They are vintage emulations - except KH1 - but they are not what everybody else did 100 times before already. They absolutely do offer something different to the palette. I like them too for their simplicity and love such tools on single tracks. The higher the mix track order goes, the more high end and complex a comp can get for me, eg on stems or in a master. BRA made excellent single track comps for fast effortless shaping or taming certain sounds. With the KH1 they now offer a great stem tool too imo. Great work guys.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
You're welcome too

I also got many comps. But not too many. I appreciate all the different characters, actions and functions different units offer. There is a place for every single plugin comp. Usually I go for all the Softube comps and Fuse Audio comps and limiters. The new Neold Telefunken emulation is in the same league now. Absolute amazing. Sometimes I go for Trackcomp2 (kind of its own). Or something from Plugin Alliance. Now the Elysia comp is fixed I'm getting interested. And of course MJUC pro, my all time favourite... or the new Unisum.
Why do I love the BRA comps and think they are great additions? They are vintage emulations - except KH1 - but they are not what everybody else did 100 times before already. They absolutely do offer something different to the palette. I like them too for their simplicity and love such tools on single tracks. The higher the mix track order goes, the more high end and complex a comp can get for me, eg on stems or in a master. BRA made excellent single track comps for fast effortless shaping or taming certain sounds. With the KH1 they now offer a great stem tool too imo. Great work guys.
Interesting, indeed BLA comps are easy to dial in. I have to say just like Pulsar (I own Mu and Smasher) they are instant color and vibe, like it or move on.

Iron and a few other are more " toggle for minutes and go nowhere" but that's just me.

Alpha compressor is old but there is something to it in MS mode on my "music" buss ( or master) that is magical. MU doesn't do exactly the same thing.

And finally BLA gave me DBX style comp that I was lacking after ditching Waves (and UAD). Neold is interesting too !

I have "too many comps" I can explore, yet I'm sure it's never too many and they could find a use. I Just baught KH.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bug in KH-COMP1 in Tracktion Waveform 11: there's no ability to route an external side chain to the compressor.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Bug in KH-COMP1 in Tracktion Waveform 11: there's no ability to route an external side chain to the compressor.
email them or message via Facebook, they relied pretty fast.
Old 3 weeks ago
GBP
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
PS. Yes, I have both... and they are both GREAT compressors, but for different tasks IMO
Yes I am quite getting into this comp. Really liking the Low edge dial and learning through using the limited amount ( in a good way ) of presets.

Must take a look at the manual to understand the new detector properly...

I also recently acquired Unisum ( certainly need to read that manual at some point!) but this is good also and as you say quicker on individual tracks etc.

Great price currently as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Can someone explain in layman's terms what the hilbert detector does? Should I just think of it as another flavor of peak detection? Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clbraddock View Post
Can someone explain in layman's terms what the hilbert detector does? Should I just think of it as another flavor of peak detection? Thanks!
Pushes the signal more forward so it pops out in your face more.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

...in a kind of upward compression style?
📝 Reply