The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korneff 4K LMC clone plugin - Talkback Limiter
Old 12th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Regardless, I just demoed the plugin and it’s fantastic.
Yep, sure is.

I'm finding it more versatile than the SSL Listen Mic Comp.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Strange.. they are public links and I got it working from my wife's computer.

Anyhow, lets see if Gearslutz embedding works! Attached to this post.
I can barely hear any difference, and I couldn't tell that one was "better" than the other, but I guess I don't have mixing/mastering ears.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by occultron View Post
I can barely hear any difference, and I couldn't tell that one was "better" than the other, but I guess I don't have mixing/mastering ears.
Well, there's quite a large bump in bass and quite a lot of changes in the highs, from a frequency spectrum point of view. But what I found the most useful is how high frequency transients get slightly "smeared". This you should be able to hear quite clearly on the hihats. There's a clear "edge" and a few ringing resonances on the original file and those have been completely smeared out in the processed file, where the hi-hat now sounds a lot more even and more like "noise" instead of a ticky ringy thing.

Hard to explain.. but once you hear it, you can't unhear it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hard to explain.. but once you hear it, you can't unhear it.
The thing that struck me right away was the 'de-digitizing' of the snare reverb reflection. Now that you brought my attention to the hats I'm gonna have to finally give this a demo
Old 14th June 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
The thing that struck me right away was the 'de-digitizing'
The circuit incorporated a filter that acted kinda like a de-esser. I nice dip in the 8K range. That really lends itself to the "de-digitizing" effect.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Sounds like a cool plugin! It’s now on my wish list. Here’s an interesting thread I found while searching for it SSL Talkback Limiter
Old 16th June 2020
Here for the gear

I'm loving this plugin and using it a lot. Watch out for low end (20hz) build up if you use it on several channels.
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

This plugin is magic...
Old 17th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can not stress enough how good of a "sound un-sterilizer" this thing is. I feel like I'm sharing a secret here that I almost do not want to spill..

Original source (addictive drums 2, default sound and beat):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h5u...ew?usp=sharing

LMC enabled, set to MIC input, -48dB level drop before plugin (!!!), FET voltage set to max (28v) and Distortion trim pot set to minimum (-20dB):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b4V...ew?usp=sharing

Examples are 24bit 48kHz wav files.

Yeah.. just listen to the hihat and room. LMC is doing virtually no compression at all but just listen to the overall sound itself and the mojo. THIS is why I want internal digital volume compensation. There is a lot more to this plugin than just smacking things up. Sigh.. secrets spilled.

EDIT: Files attached to post below in case Google Drive doesn't work.

EDIT2: My bad, had wrong settings on the files in google drive. Links work now!
Damn bM, that works an absolute treat. Prefer it to any softening plugin I have.

You're a damn wizard. Thanks for sharing.

@ Dan Korneff - the 48dB internal gain control would be very handy indeed. bM's tip aside, still a great plugin worth buying. Thanks!

Last edited by b0se; 17th June 2020 at 10:31 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
the 48dB internal gain control would be very handy indeed.
Absolutely!
Here for the gear

Is there maybe a chance for a sale for the Pawn Shop Comp in the near future, too? I really like this plugin, but price is a little too high for me atm..
Just bought the Talkback limiter, great piece of software - Congratulations !
Old 26th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete303 View Post
Is there maybe a chance for a sale for the Pawn Shop Comp in the near future, too? I really like this plugin, but price is a little too high for me atm..
We have an upgrade to the PSC coming out very very soon. Whenever we release a new product or an upgrade, we try to give our people discounts and deals.

A lot of plugin companies do sales all the time. This drives us crazy, because, well, let’s say you buy something for $60, and then two days later it goes on sale for $20... then you’re pissed off because you missed the sale.This is bull****. Why do we want people who buy from us to be mad at us?

We don’t do a lot of sales and ridiculous price reductions - seriously, $199 to $19??? What does that even mean?

We offer discounts on plugins at release time, but we don’t want someone that misses a release to feel bad because they payed full price. I mean - we LOVE you that you paid full price! You’re helping us grow our business!

So what we do is we keep track of everyone who buys from our website, and we know what you bought and how much you paid. And when we release a new product, or there is an upgrade, we make sure people that paid full price for a plugin get the newly released plugin for free, or at a price that takes into account how much they've spent. So, if you buy anything from us, even a coffee mug, you’re automatically going to be getting some sort of discount on plugins and such when they come out.

With all that said, make sure you’re on our mailing list, or go get a hat or a mug... or a plugin... and I promise you, we will take care of you. We mean to be here for a long time. We want to be your favorite company.

Warm regards,
Luke DeLalio
Korneff Audio
https://korneffaudio.com
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korneff Audio View Post
We have an upgrade to the PSC coming out very very soon. Whenever we release a new product or an upgrade, we try to give our people discounts and deals.

A lot of plugin companies do sales all the time. This drives us crazy, because, well, let’s say you buy something for $60, and then two days later it goes on sale for $20... then you’re pissed off because you missed the sale.This is bull****. Why do we want people who buy from us to be mad at us?

We don’t do a lot of sales and ridiculous price reductions - seriously, $199 to $19??? What does that even mean?

We offer discounts on plugins at release time, but we don’t want someone that misses a release to feel bad because they payed full price. I mean - we LOVE you that you paid full price! You’re helping us grow our business!

So what we do is we keep track of everyone who buys from our website, and we know what you bought and how much you paid. And when we release a new product, or there is an upgrade, we make sure people that paid full price for a plugin get the newly released plugin for free, or at a price that takes into account how much they've spent. So, if you buy anything from us, even a coffee mug, you’re automatically going to be getting some sort of discount on plugins and such when they come out.

With all that said, make sure you’re on our mailing list, or go get a hat or a mug... or a plugin... and I promise you, we will take care of you. We mean to be here for a long time. We want to be your favorite company.

Warm regards,
Luke DeLalio
Korneff Audio
I really like this. Actually experienced it already when I got a refund for paying too much because turned out I was eligible for a discount. Definitely my favorite business model already. I'll probably even buy a coffee mug just to show my appreciation.
Lives for gear

Great attitude, classy.

I picked up the Talkback Limiter for $30 USD, and I believe the full retail price is $40.

$40 folks.... that's peanuts considering the quality of this piece of DSP.
Gear Head

How does this compare to Hofa’s free CompListenMic?

Very interested in this plugin
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Head

Intriguing
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear
Bought it, loving in on drums as bmanic described. Thing is, if setting to Mic rather than Line (as recommended), the volume bump occurring is insane, no matter how much I pad the input (OSX Mojave / Live 10.1 / vst3) : is it to be expected ?

On a related note, the nasty (yet positively good) distortion(s) one can get with it is an awesome bonus, these -/+18V toggles are super fun. Just lower the volume of your monitors prior to switching' em off
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
Thanks for replying Dan - sorry man, I understand folk are saying machine-auth is less secure but it's that or nothing for me. Fingers crossed you'll reconsider that at some point
Cheers
Mark
A man's gotta eat.

Quote:

Warm regards,
Luke DeLalio
Korneff Audio
Two huge, virtual, virus protection gloved thumbs up!
Lives for gear

Quote:

Warm regards,
Luke DeLalio
Korneff Audio
Hey Luke, I love the sentiment here in your post. However, it seems kind of at odds with the fact that I've emailed twice over the past few weeks and never received a reply. That left much more of a sour taste for me than the lack of getting in on the $10 intro sale.
Old 27th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Bought it, loving in on drums as bmanic described. Thing is, if setting to Mic rather than Line (as recommended), the volume bump occurring is insane, no matter how much I pad the input (OSX Mojave / Live 10.1 / vst3) : is it to be expected ?

On a related note, the nasty (yet positively good) distortion(s) one can get with it is an awesome bonus, these -/+18V toggles are super fun. Just lower the volume of your monitors prior to switching' em off
You have to pad it on the input (insert a volume plugin before the LMC) a crazy amount. I recommended -48dB to get the Mic button into "usable" territory.
Lives for gear

Quote:
You have to pad it on the input (insert a volume plugin before the LMC) a crazy amount. I recommended -48dB to get the Mic button into "usable" territory.
I’m having a similar situation...

Really unsure why the two modes are so vastly different. And, while I’m a big believer in using something like an Airwindows gain at optimum places in the chain, I’m surprised something this good requires that amount of added conditioning to be able to get full functionality and utility.

*really* would like an embedded linked input/output
Lives for gear
Quote:
-6 bits with BitShiftGain with an already quiet signal (0VU = -24). I suppose it’s to be expected then ? It works super nicely with Line too I must say.

+1 to additional clean in/out, with a huge range of padding/gain and optional link. Or something like the headroom knob on Kush’s UBK-1, or a calibration knob. That’ll turn an already fantastic plugin into something even better.
Old 28th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Warm regards,
Luke DeLalio
Korneff Audio
Transformer going to do something now?
Old 28th June 2020
Gear Maniac

This thing at 30% blend on almost anything is useful on busses to tame dynamics and add some grit.

I feel weird using the same plugin so often...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post
However, it seems kind of at odds with the fact that I've emailed twice over the past few weeks and never received a reply..
What address are you sending to? We're usually pretty quick about responding.
Quote:
for everyone wanting an input trim:

This circuit was originally designed as a down and dirty limiter for studio communication systems. It's meant to level off a signal (whether it be a shotgun blast 2 feet from the mic, or a mouse fart 20 feet away) at any cost (including sonic integrity). That's the beast we are dealing with. With that in mind, it was never intended to gently kiss your audio.
With the input level set to Line and the Listen knob set fully CCW, the threshold sits around -24dB, so if you wanted to get the operating level to a point of no compresssion, you'd have to trim the input around 24dB.
Switching the input to MIC removes a 30dBpad on the input, allowing even more fun to be had with the limiter. At that point, the meter is useless. It'll be pegged at full deflection. BUT you can really dig in and create some fun sounds.

I'm not fully opposed to adding in some i/o metering and trim, but I encourage you to work with this limiter in a different way first. The Wet/Dry knob will be your most valuable function on the limiter. Smash your audio to a really excited, super exaggerated state, and then knock it back into reality with that Wet/Dry knob. I think at that point you'll really harness the magic of the unit.
Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by Dan Korneff; 28th June 2020 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: bold text for easier reading
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Transformer going to do something now?
Old 28th June 2020
Lives for gear

I'm simply abusing the back panel stuff. I know what it was designed for and what it is meant to be used for.. but equipment is most fun when NOT using it as intended. I do encourage you to listen to my audio examples I posted (page 2 maybe?) and experiment yourself with really dialing back the gain and ignoring the compressor altogether (try it all the way to -60dB, then abuse the back panel FET voltage and distortion trimmer thing). There is a lot more to this little thing you've created than just what it was meant to do.

Roland's TB-303 was supposed to be a realistic bass guitar emulator for bands to practice with... just saying.
Old 28th June 2020
Lives for gear

Agreed, and it's rare that a great sounding plugin offers a bit of magic of this level outside of its sweet spot. It's something to be very happy about - it'll only add to it's reputation.

The additional plugins and workflow workarounds just make it cumbersome to achieve, while a tiny tweak (we're only talking increased gain ranges) could make it flawless.

If you're not sure about the default UI needing such a range, perhaps just add a back panel toggle for x2 gain range?

Pretty please?
Old 28th June 2020
Lives for gear

📝 Reply