Celemony announces Melodyne 5 - Page 9 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Celemony announces Melodyne 5
Old 18th June 2020
Lives for gear
I bought the MDv5 upgrade because I was interested in the chord track and chord recognition feature - I never apply any form of auto-processing to re-pitch vocals - always manual edits - so the issues in this area don't really affect me - I generally use Cubase variaudio 3 these days for fixing vocals coz it's 90% as good and far, far more convenient. But that said, I blindly upgraded so I'm stuck with whatever issues come with MDv5 - didn't realise the upgrade is effectively permanent!!
Old 18th June 2020
Gear Addict

I am currently doing a remix of the first tracks that I ever recorded, 20 years ago.
I use Melodyne 5 assistant and Soothe 2 to treat the vocals in this video and thought people might find it informative.

Overall, I think that Melodyne 5 is a good update, but fairly buggy as well and in need of further updates.

I have experienced some quite bad audio artifacts with Melodyne 5 so far, that appear to mostly be related to the sibilant detection.
Also, when using ARA in Cubase, the vocals were detected as percussion and had to be re-scanned as melodic. This happened to all of the vocal takes in this particular project.
There were a few other quirks as well, like Melodyne not showing the playback of the vocal from the correct position or general laggy behavior.

Old 18th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
Also, when using ARA in Cubase, the vocals were detected as percussion and had to be re-scanned as melodic. This happened to all of the vocal takes in this particular project.
This might just be a setting issue. Check to make sure "Melodic" is set as the default in the algorithm dropdown. That said, there was an issue in a previous release when I would set this and it wouldn't "stick" - in my case it kept changing back to "Universal".
Old 2nd July 2020
Lives for gear

Just wanted to re-iterate how damn annoying the whole vst2 being discontinued/not allowing us to use the old version or even just keep our old license so we can install the old version when it is needed for old projects thing is.

Yes. they make it perfectly clear that this is their policy.. This is not a communication issue. This is an annoying policy issue.
Good job looking towards the future etc etc. But crippling an old license with a new one whilst providing certain customers with no backwards compatibility is so infuriating (for certain customers).

They have literally made it impossible to maintain backwards compatibility for me. Even if I buy two separate licenses.
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
Just wanted to re-iterate how damn annoying the whole vst2 being discontinued/not allowing us to use the old version or even just keep our old license so we can install the old version when it is needed for old projects thing is.

Yes. they make it perfectly clear that this is their policy.. This is not a communication issue. This is an annoying policy issue.
Good job looking towards the future etc etc. But crippling an old license with a new one whilst providing certain customers with no backwards compatibility is so infuriating (for certain customers).

They have literally made it impossible to maintain backwards compatibility for me. Even if I buy two separate licenses.
I agree. I haven't updated just yet to Studio 5 from 4 for this and other numerous "teething troubles" which have so far been mentioned.

I will update soon though but it would be good if they implemented backwards compatibility.
Old 3rd July 2020
they just came out with I guess a bug fix update.
Old 3rd July 2020
Gear Maniac

I was hoping the new update (5.0.2.003) would address some of these annoying artifacts with breaths, esses, etc. Or address the problem that when you separate notes on playback, the audio drops out for a split second. But neither of these issues seem to be addressed in this update as I'm still dealing with both of those issues.

I have found that if you separate the esses, etc, from the blobs, it usually fixes the artifact. But then you are back to editing like you do in Melodyne 4 where you separate everything.

I think everyone experiencing these issues should send something to Celemony about it. I sent one and they sent me back that the prior update should have fixed the problem, but it didn't. I'm still hearing artifacts on Esses, etc until I split them from the notes.
Old 3rd July 2020
Here for the gear

I am having the same problems (Pro Tools 2020.6).

I've written to Celemony support, and they asked for sound samples illustrating the problem. I sent them samples, along with a video showing other glitchy behavior, and they did reply, but would not acknowledge any issues with version 5.

Their help-center (http://helpcenter.celemony.com/M5/do...h?env=proTools) implies that they do not support Pro Tools 2020. I asked them whether or not this is true, and didn't get a reply.

I love the new features, but version 5 is overall sonically glitchy as compared to ver 4. I wish they would acknowledge the issues described by many users in this thread, and say that they're working on it.

Last edited by mtpleasantroad; 5th July 2020 at 05:23 PM..
Old 3rd July 2020
Here for the gear

Yeah, there was even an issue in version 4.2 that wasn't present in 4.1 - scrolling with the magic mouse in the edit window got significantly slowed down/laggy in standalone. I was beta testing for celemony at the time so I sent a bunch of videos, a session, as much as I could to illustrate the issue, but they wouldn't acknowledge the problem. Other colleagues have done the same to no avail.

I'm perfectly happy staying on 4.1.1 - it's the snappiest, most responsive, and most stable version I've used in recent memory. Workflow is the top priority!
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericscholz View Post
Yeah, there was even an issue in version 4.2 that wasn't present in 4.1 - scrolling with the magic mouse in the edit window got significantly slowed down/laggy in standalone. I was beta testing for celemony at the time so I sent a bunch of videos, a session, as much as I could to illustrate the issue, but they wouldn't acknowledge the problem. Other colleagues have done the same to no avail.

I'm perfectly happy staying on 4.1.1 - it's the snappiest, most responsive, and most stable version I've used in recent memory. Workflow is the top priority!
Precisely my experience too! As a beta tester I got completely ignored after raising a problem. I also decided to not bother with version 5. Version 4.1.1 might be my last version for a very long time and it works great.
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

Of all the deleted comments, I really liked Will The Weirdo's best
A poll to ask everyone would be conspicuous anyway
Old 22nd July 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post

Edit: also thinking about it I would have loved an improvement in the detection of "raspy/harsh" vocals
which are still very difficult to detect correctly by melodyne and most of the time have to edit them "by ear"
Have you tried adjusting the algorithm?
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Can anyone comment on how well the DNA Polyphonic tuning works with piano tracks? Also, will it work with choirs? I'm enquiring to see if it is worth upgrading to the Editor version over Assistant?
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Thinking about potentially upgrading to Studio 5 from 4 but would really appreciate peoples' opinions who are currently using 5 whether it might be better to hold off for a little longer or whether everything is working sufficiently well now...

Thanks.
Old 11th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I went from Assistant 4 to Editor 4 the other day (nice; happy) and yes they did upgrade it!

It wouldn't surprise me if they have a sale either; they're known for two a year and it's getting to the 6-mo mark... I think I'll pop for Studio and be done with the chase for a little while if that happens soon...

Frugal advice might be to get the 30-day demo and see if a sale happens in the meantime
How was it moving from assistant to editor? What kind of functionality did you gain? I'm debating between the two options right now and can't figure out if it only adds polyphonic editing, or what.
Old 11th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Can anyone comment on how well the DNA Polyphonic tuning works with piano tracks? Also, will it work with choirs? I'm enquiring to see if it is worth upgrading to the Editor version over Assistant?
Did you ever get any insight as to the differences between Assistant and Editor?
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie0801 View Post
How was it moving from assistant to editor? What kind of functionality did you gain? I'm debating between the two options right now and can't figure out if it only adds polyphonic editing, or what.
All I can say is I used it when it was Melodyne Assistant v4-to-Editor 4, then when v5 came out I lucked into that, and it was a big mess now ! It didn't live up to what I wanted it to do and when the first update came out I got that installed but I haven't messed with it since. I'm considering selling it but have never transferred an iLok license and it seems pretty scary.

Tip: get the demo and really go over it. You'll know if its for you or not pretty quickly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Does anyone else feel like this upgrade is way worse than 4?

I only started really using Melodyne intensely in the last year or so but the new version seems to detect way less sensitively, so I have to go in and chop everything up. Instead there's a bunch of slide notes everywhere, how am I supposed to tune that?

Does anyone know how to tune slide notes actually? It's like if I break the note up and put them where they're supposed to be it sounds robotic, but if I leave it unbroken then the notes aren't accurate
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am also wondering whether anyone can comment on their experiences with version 5 -vs- version 4. Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Supply 30 seconds of audio with your choosen piano and tel me what you want doing with it - I'm happy to have a go and post the results.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Supply 30 seconds of audio with your choosen piano and tel me what you want doing with it - I'm happy to have a go and post the results.
Hi. Thanks for the offer. I have bought Melodyne 5 Editor now and it is excellent! A huge step up from VariAudio in Cubase!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi. Thanks for the offer. I have bought Melodyne 5 Editor now and it is excellent! A huge step up from VariAudio in Cubase!
I use Auto Tune, Melodyn, VariAudio and Revoice pro.

Autotune only when i really want the "auto tune" Effect.
Melodyn most of the time cause quality and ease of use gives me the best over all user experience. I like 5.
Revoice pro sounds the best imo but its a pita to use.
And variaudio just dont sound good enough.

Of course my personal opinion. So best to try for urself
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diem View Post
Does anyone else feel like this upgrade is way worse than 4?

I only started really using Melodyne intensely in the last year or so but the new version seems to detect way less sensitively, so I have to go in and chop everything up. Instead there's a bunch of slide notes everywhere, how am I supposed to tune that?

Does anyone know how to tune slide notes actually? It's like if I break the note up and put them where they're supposed to be it sounds robotic, but if I leave it unbroken then the notes aren't accurate
Yeah I'm sticking with 4.1.1, the last version before the laggy scrolling bug was introduced. I'm not huge on the new features - I just need to tune a lot of vocals tastefully and efficiently, and I think melodyne reached its peak at 4.1.1. Version 5 is a lot slower and more cumbersome to use for me.
📝 Reply