The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toontrack releases EZBass
Old 24th May 2020
Here for the gear

It sounds cool. Toontrack has a great products.
Old 24th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Well, I don't think it sounds sub par at all, it just doesn't sound like a Vintage Fender by any means. I ended up using a preset I had on Trillian and it just killed it on a country thing I was doing. For more modern stuff it's probably great.

I've had a LOT of inconsistency with MIDI. I tried recording directly into the plug in but it doesn't seem to erase previous takes, it's like always in midi merge mode, so that doesn't work for me. So I did a part directly into Cubase and then dragged the part into the editor the other day, and added articulations. That was nice.

Today I tried it again on another song, and when I dragged in the midi it transposed it, no matter how I set the Key (which I didn't have to do the other day). It also mysteriously added about 10 of the same notes over and over again at the end of the piece, which was of course not in the midi track in Cubase. So, it's very cool in some ways, but ...
Yikes. I bought it Friday but have not had time to mess with it. I'm ambivalent anyway. Old guy being dragged into new ideas. I like actually PLAYING and creating my own stuff as opposed to allowing someones algorithm to participate. Give me sounds, don't give me notes. That's what I do. But I'm willing to experiment. Hey I have Superior Drummer for YEARS but only use it as a drum module. LOL. I'll try. I will. I promise. I don't like the mixer either. LOL. So I'm curious to see how EZBass works. I like ModoBass. Biased.

But the midi issues sound dreary and very bad for me. And I'm not planning on playing my guitar and having EZB create some bass line me. To me that just sounds dumb and laz and unimaginative. But that's me. WTF.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Yikes. I bought it Friday but have not had time to mess with it. I'm ambivalent anyway. Old guy being dragged into new ideas. I like actually PLAYING and creating my own stuff as opposed to allowing someones algorithm to participate. Give me sounds, don't give me notes. That's what I do. But I'm willing to experiment. Hey I have Superior Drummer for YEARS but only use it as a drum module. LOL. I'll try. I will. I promise. I don't like the mixer either. LOL. So I'm curious to see how EZBass works. I like ModoBass. Biased.

But the midi issues sound dreary and very bad for me. And I'm not planning on playing my guitar and having EZB create some bass line me. To me that just sounds dumb and laz and unimaginative. But that's me. WTF.
Well what you can do is play your bass into Ezbass, have it generate midi from your own playing, then you can try all the different sounds and articulations to see if you like something other than just your bass. And then mix that down and use it either instead or maybe in parallel...
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Lol the people that buy stuff without researching it and then complain about it without even trying it...

Also, if you're literally the only person that is on the side of "this sucks", you may want to think about your evaluation criteria.
Old 24th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
Lol the people that buy stuff without researching it and then complain about it without even trying it...

Also, if you're literally the only person that is on the side of "this sucks", you may want to think about your evaluation criteria.

Before attacking me remember I never said it sucked. I said sub par because to me it does. BUT I play both guitar and bass at an advanced level. I bought this for those times I get clients who have sent me something formed in midi or a quick bass lines during song writing with particular people. When playing my own stuff I play. Maybe I had too high hopes, but I understand why many like it. Sorry I didn’t praise it so I could fit in with everyone else.
Old 24th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post

I use SD and (now) EZBAss. I never use midi patterns or similar. I always program my midis for the specific needs of the song. In my opinion EZBass gives you the sound. Furthermore, the articulations are east, fast and usuable. I think it is a product whose next level is to directly record a bass.

I encourage you to test it thoroughly and share your impressions.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
For those curious about the sound, I can say that I've used EZ Bass on a slew of tracks and it falls into music unlike any other VI I've used. The basic sound itself is closer to what a real bass sounds like, and its implementation (i.e. ability to include and edit all the idiosyncrasies of a bass like slides, finger noise, hammers, etc.) is second to none. It takes eq and compression properly. Odd as it may seem, that's been a challenge for most bass VIs.
When you say the basic sound , are you talking DI ?
Can this actualy do simple bass part not line but stuff more basses to ba ck un kikcks and give griove without taking the whole time ... what i m trying to say (i struggle in fact ) is a few notes parts more like staccatos , but where you feel it , feel the realness and human imperfection !
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Can this actualy do simple bass part not line but stuff more basses to ba ck un kikcks and give griove without taking the whole time ... what i m trying to say (i struggle in fact ) is a few notes parts more like staccatos , but where you feel it , feel the realness and human imperfection !
All I can is this. I 'fed' Ezbass a real bass line, guitars, vocals, and drum midi. By the time I was done the 'machine' spit out a line that made me play 'air' bass

Edit: TO put it in context. The ONLY bass lines I play 'air' along with are Flea's!
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those curious about the sound, I can say that I've used EZ Bass on a slew of tracks and it falls into music unlike any other VI I've used. The basic sound itself is closer to what a real bass sounds like, and its implementation (i.e. ability to include and edit all the idiosyncrasies of a bass like slides, finger noise, hammers, etc.) is second to none. It takes eq and compression properly. Odd as it may seem, that's been a challenge for most bass VIs.
I think that's becuase other bass VI's are released with too much eq and comp already baked into the sound. That's my number 1 gripe with Trillian.

I'm definitely going to demo EZBass after your positive comment on the sound.
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
I meant unmixed. No eq/comp/etc. But it's not limited to the DI preset -- the others sound good, too.

I can understand how this would anger some bass players, but as far as the "sound" of that bass, they've captured it properly. Extremely well, I'd say. Some may wish that it had more or less of this or that, but those are elements that we, as players, would likely tweak after the bass, and we still can. As someone said above, the overly-processed VIs (e.g. Trilian, at times) don't offer that option because you can't remove their effects. With EZB, I often run it through the REDDI plugin, or one of the brainworx Ampegs.

So, in my experience and opinion, the comments that it doesn't sound good are just not proper. It might not sound how someone expects their bass to sound, but that's not really a fair assessment of the *basic* tones of EZB, which stack well with the *basic* tones of my Fodera and API combo. Both require some degree of engineering in the mix stage, however.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I meant unmixed. No eq/comp/etc. But it's not limited to the DI preset -- the others sound good, too.

I can understand how this would anger some bass players, but as far as the "sound" of that bass, they've captured it properly. Extremely well, I'd say. Some may wish that it had more or less of this or that, but those are elements that we, as players, would likely tweak after the bass, and we still can. As someone said above, the overly-processed VIs (e.g. Trilian, at times) don't offer that option because you can't remove their effects. With EZB, I often run it through the REDDI plugin, or one of the brainworx Ampegs.

So, in my experience and opinion, the comments that it doesn't sound good are just not proper. It might not sound how someone expects their bass to sound, but that's not really a fair assessment of the *basic* tones of EZB, which stack well with the *basic* tones of my Fodera and API combo. Both require some degree of engineering in the mix stage, however.
Thks Elambo , made the jump !!

by the way talking about ampegs , still a fan of the PA 's? how do you find Pa's versus IK ones ?
Old 25th May 2020
Mho
Lives for gear

Which are the actual instruments sampled? The vintage is a Precision?
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Which are the actual instruments sampled? The vintage is a Precision?
No, it's a Jazz bass.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Thks Elambo , made the jump !!

by the way talking about ampegs , still a fan of the PA 's? how do you find Pa's versus IK ones ?
You're not asking me but it's a public question, so I hope you don't mind me offering an opinion.

I recently spent countless hours searching for a low watt bass amp emulation and settled on the B-15N. Luckily, there are versions from both from PA and IK. Personally, I think there is no comparison at all between the PA (programmed by Nembrini - and I think this is why it is so much better) version and the IK version. PA is in a completely different league. A/B ing between the two is like flipping the 'depth' or 'life' switch on and off. It's not subtle at all.

Get both demos for yourself of course. For sounds and feel that appeal to me, the PA B-15N is, in my opinion, the very best bass amp sim I have ever used. For me, this was immediate and obvious.

YMMV, to each their own, IMHO, etc, etc.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Guru

Thks @ kindafishy

Guyz i"'ve been playing with ez bass since one hour and i'm really not that happy ...

First no way to drag and rop anything from studio one (midi or audio) ? Really ? do we have to use systematically the transfert audio plugin ?

Second is that the editing is making me dam nervous !!! the stretch arrow alwayz dissapear

I'm not a fan of the sound i played with the tone it's better , but i love that motown and hard to

I love those staccato note with that does of mute i can get from modo bass , still trying to get that in there ....

I will update my review ....

EDIT : MUTE i guess this might be Damping is see in the automation lanes ...
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thks @ kindafishy

Guyz i"'ve been playing with ez bass since one hour and i'm really not that happy ...

First no way to drag and rop anything from studio one (midi or audio) ? Really ? do we have to use systematically the transfert audio plugin ?

Second is that the editing is making me dam nervous !!! the stretch arrow alwayz dissapear

I'm not a fan of the sound i played with the tone it's better , but i love that motown and hard to

I love those staccato note with that does of mute i can get from modo bass , still trying to get that in there ....

I will update my review ....
To get a muted staccato you can play with the Length and Dampening knobs on the Edit Play Style option.

On Pro Tools I can only drag the midi inside EzBass to a PT track. I can't drag a clip on a track nor on the clip list to EzBass, as far as I know. I think I can't drag MIDIs from the DAW to EzBass neither.

About the editing, I think it's the best part. Well, the articulations are the best part, imo. I don't have any problem with the stretch arrow. Use Cmd + to zoom in closer to the note and that should do it.

About the sound... The presets covers a lot of grounds, but I would love more options and more basses (this will for sure come out on paid expansions).
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
To get a muted staccato you can play with the Length and Dampening knobs on the Edit Play Style option.

On Pro Tools I can only drag the midi inside EzBass to a PT track. I can't drag a clip on a track nor on the clip list to EzBass, as far as I know. I think I can't drag MIDIs from the DAW to EzBass neither.

About the editing, I think it's the best part. Well, the articulations are the best part, imo. I don't have any problem with the stretch arrow. Use Cmd + to zoom in closer to the note and that should do it.

About the sound... The presets covers a lot of grounds, but I would love more options and more basses (this will for sure come out on paid expansions).
Thks SameOH ,(didn't saw those macros) the lack of Demo is such a pain , if the drag and drop of midi and audio does'nt work , i have no interest to use this think more than modo , trillian or scrabee ...
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thks SameOH ,(didn't saw those macros) the lack of Demo is such a pain , if the drag and drop of midi and audio does'nt work , i have no interest to use this think more than modo , trillian or scrabee ...
Drag and drop from DAW to plugin is a limitation of the DAW not the plugin. If the DAW supports it, EZbass can import it via drag and drop.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can drag and drop from the Finder (or explorer if on Windows). I already have done this workaround: Clip List - Select Clip - Show on Finder - Than finally drag and drop to EzBass

But yes, the lack of a trial is very bad.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
You can drag and drop from the Finder (or explorer if on Windows). I already have done this workaround: Clip List - Select Clip - Show on Finder - Than finally drag and drop to EzBass

But yes, the lack of a trial is very bad.
There is a demo in the works that wasn't quite ready at release date.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone care to share a nice, deep Reggae setup?
Old 25th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
Drag and drop from DAW to plugin is a limitation of the DAW not the plugin. If the DAW supports it, EZbass can import it via drag and drop.
Any idea of Reaper's support?
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkijani View Post
Any idea of Reaper's support?
Sorry, I.don't use Reaper so I'm not sure. The last version of Reaper I had was 4.something and it wasn't supported.
Old 25th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
Sorry, I.don't use Reaper so I'm not sure. The last version of Reaper I had was 4.something and it wasn't supported.
No worries. Checking Reaper's forum. 6.10 is going on now.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkijani View Post
No worries. Checking Reaper's forum. 6.10 is going on now.
I believe you should be able to record MIDI from Reaper or onto the EZbass Song Track.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

But I have 6 basses , a REDDI, & Ampeg B15N, in the studio !
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Anyone care to share a nice, deep Reggae setup?
It's not reggae but deep bass can bee optained , i'm testing their with Darkglass fallow by Purple 77 on bass ....i didn't evn tweak bass tone (you have a deep knobs ) i just wanted to try their audio track grabber ...

you can only use on in the session and you move it around , i tried to insert sveral in all sources i needed but nada !!

Snippset is 2 bars 80 bpm if you can import and check

Second file is solo bass , i've used Softube Eden for you to apreciate the body i 'm puttin the setting , everythime i use the DI in EZ bass
Attached Thumbnails
Toontrack releases EZBass-eden-basss.jpg  
Attached Files

Ghost.wav (1.65 MB, 1062 views)

Reagga.wav (3.30 MB, 1058 views)

Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
PA's are what I like. I have and have used quite a few Ampeg amps and preamps and find PA's to capture the essence of those products.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
PA's are what I like. I have and have used quite a few Ampeg amps and preamps and find PA's to capture the essence of those products.
Thks .

I was watching videos and they say in one of them "drag and drop midi " from any Toontrack software or click the open file

2020 : no drag and drop from DAW .... bravo and no demo
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Taking advantage of the topic, has anyone compared the PA Ampeg with the Helix Ampeg?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear