The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 22nd May 2020
  #241
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Humanoid View Post
And yet, you are still perusing the forums here (still), and whining away... Just like us trolls, apparently. I just find it deeply ironic.

And if the trolls are absent there, why not stop wasting your time here, and just chat to those insightful dudes?

Of course, people wouldn't be trolling, if Dirk hadn't been such a cretin in the first place.
You keep hinting that I shouldn’t be here, but your dim witted bully tactics won’t work. People like you are poisoning this forum, and you need to be called out on it.

If you’ve got some personal problem with Dirk, you need to get over it and move on with your life bud.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #242
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
I think you might be missing some context here, going by your join date. What you see isn't just out of the blue.
I know what happened, they went sub and stopped giving away their plugins for $10 a pop.

If it’s upsets someone so much that they spend night and day complaining about it in the forums for months on end, I’d suggest perhaps they need to see a therapist.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #243
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
You keep hinting that I shouldn’t be here, but your dim witted bully tactics won’t work. People like you are poisoning this forum, and you need to be called out on it.

If you’ve got some personal problem with Dirk, you need to get over it and move on with your life bud.
Nah... It's not personal with Dirk, I don't know the chap. I just don't like some of his business tactics and censorship.

Bullying, what are you 11 years of age? I'm questioning why you are here, because of your own whining. Apparently, it's okay for you to bitch, and for others it's not. Don't forget we are all PA customers here...

Just feel free to ignore the bitching, and read what you want. But asking others to stop, won't really help your cause.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #244
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Humanoid View Post
Nah... It's not personal with Dirk, I don't know the chap. I just don't like some of his business tactics and censorship.

Bullying, what are you 11 years of age? I'm questioning why you are here, because of your own whining. Apparently, it's okay for you to bitch, and for others it's not. Don't forget we are all PA customers here...

Just feel free to ignore the bitching, and read what you want. But asking others to stop, won't really help your cause.
I said bully tactics. Which is what you’re employing. That doesn’t make me childish but it sure makes you seem like one. Well adjusted adults don’t use bullying tactics during conversation. Nor do they carry personal vendettas against gear companies, and incessantly complain about them, trolling the internet in every thread they’re mentioned in.

I already explained to you that I’m here for the good, and try to ignore the bad. Not sure what exactly you don’t understand about that.

If every thread about PA is over run with the trolls crying about dirk and pricing, maybe they DO need to be called out for a change. I assure you most people don’t care to hear about it any more. It’s not interesting.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #245
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
I assure you most people don’t care to hear about it any more. It’s not interesting.
Doesn't look that way to me... More people are complaining here then not.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #246
Gear Maniac
 
Constant_K's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
You keep hinting that I shouldn’t be here, but your dim witted bully tactics won’t work. People like you are poisoning this forum, and you need to be called out on it.

If you’ve got some personal problem with Dirk, you need to get over it and move on with your life bud.
There are two useful things you can do here (this thread): use the ignore function and say constructive things about PA. The third thing "calling people out" is neither useful nor constructive IMO and as others have pointed out, time and time again (not specifically to you canadian farmer), it's just adding to the noise that's upsetting you and others in the first place.

We had some libertarian philosophizing going on around here quite a bit with regards freedom of choice; people can choose to complain it's an important function of, you know, "a forum"? Trying to offset or contain peoples grievances on a forum is a waste of energy IMO because it's the mods job to police members not other members.

I understand peoples frustration that the majority of these PA threads are not solely about the products but this forum is about among other things, the buying and selling (and lusting after) audio gear and a company's conduct falls firmly within that remit and is a valid point of consideration.

Last edited by Constant_K; 22nd May 2020 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: a word
Old 22nd May 2020
  #247
This is a really freaking nice EQ on a well recorded grand piano track! It's brightening up a dark Steinway rather beautifully.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #248
Lives for gear
 

My guess - PA will be like Waves, but with a sub (honestly, surprising Waves hasn't fully embraced a subscription model - I know they have one, but it is a weak offering. Maybe the LTV of customers is better with the $35 deals they do for everything every week, but I would've guessed they could make more with a $15 / mo sub for all the plugins or something). It's probably way less overhead than managing all these deals all the time to try and spike sales and make the month's financial target. Plus, annual LTV? Gotta be way higher with the sub. Couple that with them most likely re-using DSP code from the massive catalog of plugins they have (just like Waves likely do) and you essentially get very similar plugins with very little new apart from the GUI. I imagine Slate will eventually be doing the same thing (though their release cadence is way slower so maybe Fabrice is actually researching stuff more diligently).

UA, Softube, Fabfilter - they put out new stuff more rarely and it is usually absolutely killer. It also is usually pretty unique (Granted UA just released a 1084, but...it's insanely good). You can tell the amount of time that goes into it. It doesn't really matter if I'm spending $30 or $300 - I'd rather support the companies that are putting in the work. I have enough plugins and don't "need" anymore. Elevate the bar and you'll earn my money.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #249
Gear Maniac
 
Durk Diggler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Mike falls in love usually with every PA plugin. His reviews are completely undifferentiated and useless as reviews. But they are good as walkthrough lessons.
Every review should be taken with a grain of salt. It is not common for us humans to be able to look past our preferences and view the actual thing that is in front of us. I agree, the video serves as a walkthrough of the plugin.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #250
Gear Addict
 
Aux13's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
I mean bx_digital is a good EQ, but charging 399$+VAT for a reskin and a clipper is a bit much
OT I know, but for this money you'll get 7 Reaper licenses = owning DAW for aprox. 50 years.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #251
Lives for gear
 
nichttuntun's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
Every review should be taken with a grain of salt. It is not common for us humans to be able to look past our preferences and view the actual thing that is in front of us. I agree, the video serves as a walkthrough of the plugin.
First part could have been said by the historical Buddha as well
Old 22nd May 2020
  #252
Gear Maniac
 
Durk Diggler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
First part could have been said by the historical Buddha as well
Well, I am certainly no Budda and have no ownership over facts if i happen to stumble upon them once in a blue moon. Facts are the way things are.

So anyways, while some people are pleased with the new Amek, for others is redundant compared to the other EQs in PA's lineup. Those who are looking for a fairly priced quality EQ might want to demo the OverTone DSP AF2-10/M plugin.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #253
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
Those who are looking for a fairly priced quality EQ might want to demo the OverTone DSP AF2-10/M plugin.
Their Fairchild plugin is underrated and worth checking out also.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #254
Gear Maniac
 
Digital Crush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpga View Post
This plugin cost me 437$ If I buy It.
WTF is happening?
Shipping cost
Old 22nd May 2020
  #255
Here for the gear
 

Yes the full prices of Plugin Alliance plugins are ridiculous but let's not pretend that we wont all be able to get this one for $25 - $50 in the near future. That would make it cheaper than the majority of other EQ plugins, no reason to get upset in my eyes

As far as I can tell, it's a fairly accurate emulation of a relatively rare hardware unit. Either buy it or don't, reading some of the posts on this thread it's clear that some people just have an axe to grind.

I am worried about how far the censorship might go in the Facebook group, but as long as legitimate concerns get heard I have no problems with it. Plugin Alliance is a company that has benefitted greatly from criticism, such as when they planned to make licenses NFR, plus it made them change the subscriptions to a kind of rent to own deal.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #256
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallumS View Post
As far as I can tell, it's a fairly accurate emulation of a relatively rare hardware unit.
Did you A/B with the actual hardware to come to this conclusion? No being a smart ass just honest question. I did at my buddy studio and it was not close. I mean emulations are not 1:1 but this was not even close. It's not a bad eq is just not a close emulation. Piece this at $50-75 and it will be a ok deal. Once again not a horrible eq by no means. If interested you can pm and I'll have my buddy send a video of his hardware vs this and you can see and hear the real thing in action vs this.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #257
Gear Maniac
 
Konfus's Avatar
 

2x eqp-kt for the price
Old 22nd May 2020
  #258
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
If interested you can pm and I'll have my buddy send a video of his hardware vs this and you can see and hear the real thing in action vs this.
That would be great to see but it sounds like a lot of effort for your buddy, might be a useful comparison for the community though.

I've always seen Plugin Alliance emulations as a little bit better than Waves - not 100% but it generally reminds you of the thing that it's based on.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #259
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
Did you A/B with the actual hardware to come to this conclusion? No being a smart ass just honest question. I did at my buddy studio and it was not close. I mean emulations are not 1:1 but this was not even close. It's not a bad eq is just not a close emulation. Piece this at $50-75 and it will be a ok deal. Once again not a horrible eq by no means. If interested you can pm and I'll have my buddy send a video of his hardware vs this and you can see and hear the real thing in action vs this.
Why not just the up the vid to this thread.i would be interested in hearing it myself and im sure others would too.long time since i heard a Sontec as i'm not involved with the mastering side of projects anymore so don't attend the sessions.i can just say without a shadow of a doubt though that this does not sound like a top tier solid state EQ even by the slightest of margins and the crossover distortion in the THD is bizarre.this will definitely be the last Brainworx model i even bother demoing as i find them to be on the whole consistently shyte(the focusrite console was ok i guess)
Old 22nd May 2020
  #260
Lives for gear
 

Is this supposed to be a 1:1 emulation of any hardware though?

Maybe my understanding is incorrect, but I thought that it's a made up fantasy design that is merely inspired by certain hardware.

Based on the first parametric equalizers that started it all, the AMEK EQ 200 is a beautifully transparent plugin EQ, inspired by the classic sound of icons like the GML 8200 and vintage SONTEC EQs.

I have used the hardware GML before, but I have never encountered or used any Sontec hardware before.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #261
Gear Nut
 
UltraByte's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
I know what happened, they went sub and stopped giving away their plugins for $10 a pop.

If it’s upsets someone so much that they spend night and day complaining about it in the forums for months on end, I’d suggest perhaps they need to see a therapist.
no, its afaik not about the $ in the first place. Have a look at the unisum compressor thread. Participating humble dev, engaged beta testers and everyone praising the sound and quality although its at the higher end of (real) compressor prices especially for an indie dev. everything is respectful.
The PA/Bx sage goes back to the ssl E release at least as far as i could "research".
you have attitude towards valid reports and inquiries (longtime unresolved bugs, quality concerns(truncation, OS, aliasing, limiter issues, metering, generally put out a product and rush to the next one), lack engagement regarding discussion about features (variances, OS downplayed than released as shadow update to the new version of the SHMC), mocking of GS users (iE your customerbase) etc

its strange for a company to get so detached and tone deaf imo.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #262
Gear Nut
 
6000's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
no, its afaik not about the $ in the first place. Have a look at the unisum compressor thread. Participating humble dev, engaged beta testers and everyone praising the sound and quality although its at the higher end of (real) compressor prices especially for an indie dev. everything is respectful.
The PA/Bx sage goes back to the ssl E release at least as far as i could "research".
you have attitude towards valid reports and inquiries (longtime unresolved bugs, quality concerns(truncation, OS, aliasing, limiter issues, metering, generally put out a product and rush to the next one), lack engagement regarding discussion about features (variances, OS downplayed than released as shadow update to the new version of the SHMC), mocking of GS users (iE your customerbase) etc

its strange for a company to get so detached and tone deaf imo.
Exactly. I could care less if they priced this EQ $1000, it's not about $ but the ****ty attitude...that 'positive' group, mocking of his user base, deleting any posts that aren't exceedingly positive...that's moronic and short-sighted.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Humanoid View Post
Dirk's new positive echo chamber.
Sounds like a new plugin idea.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #264
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
Sounds like a new plugin idea.
LOL
Old 22nd May 2020
  #265
Here for the gear
 

So it's official.

Plugin Alliance completely lost the plot. If you say something, which is relevant and justified, but they deem as "negative" you are kicked out of the Facebook group and your post is deleted.

North Korea would be proud of you Dirk, they love all forms of suppression over there, from little suppression to full on suppression.

I don't even feel sorry for them losing customers to pirated software anymore.

Oh and the Amek plug in.........:
They price is that high cause they don't really want anyone to buy it, they want pressure everyone on to the sub model.

But they promised it would be up for sale too not only renting. So they do this, put in up for sale, but for a ridiculous high price, which no sane person will pay........

Do they seriously think their customers are that stupid that they don't see what they are doing?
Old 22nd May 2020
  #266
Gear Maniac
 
Durk Diggler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffasplaffa View Post
So it's official.

Plugin Alliance completely lost the plot. If you say something, which is relevant and justified, but they deem as "negative" you are kicked out of the Facebook group.

North Korea would be proud of you PA, they love all forms of suppression on all levels.
While I do not agree with how PA/Dirk is managing resentment, comparing the management of a facebook group to how proud North Korea would be goes to show you have lost the plot too.
Old 22nd May 2020
  #267
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
Its a ****ty marketing strategy and companies should be scrutinised for it
The problem is, the same plugin might be worth a different amount to different people, there is no "one true price", but unfortunately, you have to set it to something. It is more market-efficient to differentiate the prices if you can, and so, a weak argument that we should be doing it.

Because the companies do not want their marketing strategy to be gamed too easily, they require certificates which say "this plugin is worth to me less than X". An example of this are "education pricing" schemes in which you have to provide some kind of id or .edu domain email, whatever. The amount of time you are willing to wait is just another such a certificate.

Please remember that it is not PA who is deciding how much the plugin is worth to you personally, and if there are better and cheaper alternatives, then these at least provide a cap.

Is TDR SlickEQ M a better and cheaper alternative? For me it is , but that is something everybody has to decide for themselves. Hypothetically, if for some magical reason PA plugins were the only ones that reliably work on my computer, that would change a lot.

Best regards,
Cpt. Obvious
Old 22nd May 2020
  #268
plx
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
The Logic Channel EQ is pretty darn good eh? I often open up Pro Tools stock EQ and sweep around at various Qs to see how it compares to what im used to hearing from EQuilibrium (and now MAAT and EQ1). Its not bad, and I no longer get anxiety when I see clients using them in a mix, but IMO this Amek EQ easily beats it top to bottom.
Yeah, it even has oversampling since 10.4.0. (Like the Amek lol)
not that i'm the biggest fan of solving HF cramping by oversampling, but hey!

Top to bottom is an over-statement, really
I tried it. THD is weak, even logic's own Vintage EQ Collection has more inventive "drive".
Old 22nd May 2020
  #269
plx
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by random musican View Post
The problem is, the same plugin might be worth a different amount to different people, there is no "one true price", but unfortunately, you have to set it to something. It is more market-efficient to differentiate the prices if you can, and so, a weak argument that we should be doing it.

Because the companies do not want their marketing strategy to be gamed too easily, they require certificates which say "this plugin is worth to me less than X". An example of this are "education pricing" schemes in which you have to provide some kind of id or .edu domain email, whatever. The amount of time you are willing to wait is just another such a certificate.

Please remember that it is not PA who is deciding how much the plugin is worth to you personally, and if there are better and cheaper alternatives, then these at least provide a cap.

Is TDR SlickEQ M a better and cheaper alternative? For me it is , but that is something everybody has to decide for themselves. Hypothetically, if for some magical reason PA plugins were the only ones that reliably work on my computer, that would change a lot.

Best regards,
Cpt. Obvious
Did i imply i'm judging its value?
I'm not really judging its value in $$. I'm judging their strategy
Old 22nd May 2020
  #270
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
Did i imply i'm judging its value?
I'm not really judging its value in $$. I'm judging their strategy
Do you mean that you disapprove of price differentiating in general?
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump