The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 25th May 2020
plx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
It doesn't from what i recall.it had some kind of "snapshot"of the noisefloor harmonics,but they never changed in intensity beyond the entire profile being amplified when you decrease input gain.i could be wrong,but that is what i remember noticing(think i commented on a similar observation in the CB thread as well)
as far as i tested it it does no waveshaping and putting bunch of sinewaves through it didn't do absolutely anything.

AMEK on the other hand does things - whether pleasant or not is up to debate.

as far as curvebender go, i skipped it. I like how it behaved a lot, but the "doing nothing" thing kinda turned me away for 139€.

I have 3 "do nothing" EQ's and one of those even has "do something" mode if i enable it.
Old 25th May 2020
Deleted 9949851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Now there's a new "any Plugin for 49.99" offer which with the 25-tier-voucher translates to "any Plugin for 25 + VAT"

Which are the obvious choices to try? I was interested in the Oberhausen before but in some examples I heard it was pretty obvious that it doesn't get anywhere close to the OG. Might still give it a try, though
Except for the small GUI (man, I wish PA would go back and update some of these older GUIs), I think the Vertigo VSM-3 looks and sounds (from examples) quite promising and extremely flexible. I just now downloaded it. I haven't used it yet. I'm always looking for different takes on harm/sat/dist because many times I'll reach for that instead of EQ. I didn't even know this plugin existed of the VSM-2 Mix Satellite hardware. I like how they have it laid out. I just wish it wasn't so small.

Just in case you weren't aware of it. I'm not pushing it.
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
it does? how? I barely got any harmonics from curve bender wtf.
It’s very subtle, with a sinewave at 0dB the harmonics were at around -70dB, I don’t remember the exact numbers but I can post some screen shots later
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

I find those atmospheric sine wavey arpeggio sounds popular in current rap/ r&b music really tricky to EQ. The Curve Bender and the NSEQ-2 seem to handle it better than other EQs I tried but I don't trust my conclusion enough yet to call it a final conclusion.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Now there's a new "any Plugin for 49.99" offer which with the 25-tier-voucher translates to "any Plugin for 25 + VAT"

Which are the obvious choices to try? I was interested in the Oberhausen before but in some examples I heard it was pretty obvious that it doesn't get anywhere close to the OG. Might still give it a try, though

The BAX eq and the 'little' Maag eq are very useful. The Maag has few controls yet I seem to be able to get a good mix curve everytime out of it that stands up to more complex fully parametric eq's.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post

I run VST3 whenever there's an option for it. So AMEK 200 is installed on my Win10 Pro PC as VST3 at the moment. I have pretty good display, both res and size, EIZO 27" so I streched AMEK to 150%. When shut off/closed and opened again and 100% is chosen, container goes down in size but rendered plugin within stays at previous 150% size leaving you with smaller container and bigger plugin drawn inside that smaller container so only 2/3 is visible. Zero is top left corner. I hope I explained that well. ;-) If not, oh well, stick that to my English not being native language. Hehe... :-P
i reported this issue ~2 months ago and sent a vid when the first support rep was dismissive until i sent a "proof" screen capture vid. second rep was very friendly though, although the issue is still there and present with every PA plugin that allows resizing. funny enough you find a similar issue with Fuse Audio when resizing. (its a former PA employee) thus they may use a similar underlaying framework. With FA its even worse, as the option to change back to 100% is in the part that is missing. you have to delete the ui size setting manually in the registry to get it back working

i have this issue only in ableton though. in reaper it behaves fine (i use repaer for mixing/ mastering the stems). also those plugins will resize without issue when you open them inside metaplugin (in ableton).
theres an option in ableton to push a plugin to resize or not but it didnt affect the behavior (forgot how its called im right now in reaper and cant look

cheers
Old 26th May 2020
plx
Gear Addict

the oversampling plugins also have identical 32 samples of latency, as Fuse Audio plugs.

makes you wonder. (not to mention plugin frames of BRA/FAL/PA all look oddly familiar)
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
i reported this issue ~2 months ago and sent a vid when the first support rep was dismissive until i sent a "proof" screen capture vid.
Hey Ultra,

I think you might be on to something there. Fuse Audio Labs and one of his Compressors if I'm not mistaken, it's a VCL-864, is giving me same sh***. It sounds good thou. I really like that Comp. ;-)

Yeah, exactly. Ableton here on PC at the moment, latest version (10.1.14). It is annoying really. You forget yourself and close the plugin's window.

I have to install VST2.x also and try that one. Also, my Msc came back from doctor's office so I need to test both VST2 and 3 on OS X as well.

But I can say this right now. F*** that! Beta testing time is over so I see it like this - it should all work untill now when it's on open market. I am sending mail to tech support as well.

Other than that, it's all good. I like the softness and smoothness of this EQ. I put their older AMEK 209 side by side and tried as close as possible to make similar value on one or two simple points just to hear both. EQ 200 sounds smoother. More pleasant to the ears. That doesn't mean 2098 isn't good digital EQ. Love it's sound as well.

Well, let's see what happens. So far I am glad I took it for the spin and tried it. I am not that hyped as when PA put out bx_v3, bx_bax or hybrid v2
Those EQs were (still are) really nice and pretty versatile digital tool. Especially bax. So little control points and so huge result it gives.

Now, to GUI. Lately they're doing few sizes. And that's normal now because displays are getting bigger and bigger but perhaps more important are the resolutions. And that's OK if you ask me. They develop tools that are not scalable but static, photo realistic ones with few animated buttons or knobs on mouse over/click option. OK. Their prerrogative. I don't have a problem with that. But I am also aware it is impossible (well, I am making an asumption now) to update old plugins with (nowadays) tiny GUIs. If it can't ne done, it can't be done. What I'm not clear is how FabFilter and that crew (just to name one example) can think ahead for GUI enlargement. Or any other devs who immediately incorporate few sizes. Or scalable if coding and GUI re-drawing allows that of course!

And one last thing. Those super tiny meters. Really? If you het them there then at least make them more usable. Like for instance metering as DMG.

Oh well, enough with that bit**ing. It is what it is.

Love the sound. So far, with all those issues, I can refer anyone to AMEK 200 to try it out. Will it find it's way to a particular use is on her/himslef of course.

Stay safe and healthy!

Krešo
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangechild View Post
A little secret: PA wasn't on the grassy knoll either.
You're right, they weren't.

BUT I WAS
Attached Thumbnails
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200-gk.jpg  
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Other than that, it's all good. I like the softness and smoothness of this EQ. I put their older AMEK 209 side by side and tried as close as possible to make similar value on one or two simple points just to hear both. EQ 200 sounds smoother. More pleasant to the ears. That doesn't mean 2098 isn't good digital EQ. Love it's sound as well.
Are you aware this is marketed as a recreation based on the gml 8200 eq,
which has as much similarity to the amek brand and products as a grapefruit with an apple ?

As much as I love PA products
this is such a stupid idea
and I do hope George Massenburg‘s lawyers sue the hell out of PA.
Old 26th May 2020
Deleted 9949851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post

BUT I WAS
Haha! You sure were. I recognize that view. Wrong year, thankfully.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post

BUT I WAS
Looks more like a Glassy Noel
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
as far as i tested it it does no waveshaping and putting bunch of sinewaves through it didn't do absolutely anything.

AMEK on the other hand does things - whether pleasant or not is up to debate.

as far as curvebender go, i skipped it. I like how it behaved a lot, but the "doing nothing" thing kinda turned me away for 139€.

I have 3 "do nothing" EQ's and one of those even has "do something" mode if i enable it.
In regards to AMEK i couldn't fathom why anybody would want crossover distortion or even a hint of it across a master.i cannot think of anything more heavy handed when it comes to harmonics apart from maybe non-oversampled wavefolding

Crossover distortion has its uses creatively.i abuse it a lot with gear that has crappy amps and power supplies(old mixing desks for example),but it doesn't belong on a mastering EQ.i'd consider it broken or inferior if it did
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Are you aware this is marketed as a recreation based on the gml 8200 eq,
which has as much similarity to the amek brand and products as a grapefruit with an apple ?

As much as I love PA products
this is such a stupid idea
and I do hope George Massenburg‘s lawyers sue the hell out of PA.
I hear you. But let me ask you. Don't you think PA has gotten this big and not understand the possibility of breaking copyrights, lawsuits etc.?

But now maybe more important thing. What the heck does this anything to do with sound. And other aspects of digital tools? I mean, we are all here for sound, experience exchange, issues with tools, tricks how to do something... And bit***ng, hehehe...

If PA took something (I doubt, but let's suppose they did) and it ends up with lawsuit I will still be listening to some digital tool, write praises or not so much praises, ask about issues, bi**h around some. Hahaha, GML, Massenburg, lawsuit - I really don't care. Honestly.

I listened yesterday to this EQ 200 and I can't say that it's bad. It is not to my ears anyway. Of course, not all ears are the same, head shape, everything counts... Was it what real life EQ users expected (I have NEVER worked with real one so...) it to be? Can't tell you. I bet you that 99,99% of people who bought or demoing have NEVER seen one in life or heard one. So, I am still sticking to what's in front of me, with it's good and bad. There's both. As I said in previous post. Or two.

Stay safe and take care!

Krešo
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Does it have oversampling? Trying the bx_oberhausen was a somewhat shocking experience to me in that regard, I expected a smoother top end (when stressing it).
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear you. But let me ask you. Don't you think PA has gotten this big and not understand the possibility of breaking copyrights, lawsuits etc.?

But now maybe more important thing. What the heck does this anything to do with sound. And other aspects of digital tools? I mean, we are all here for sound, experience exchange, issues with tools, tricks how to do something... And bit***ng, hehehe...

If PA took something (I doubt, but let's suppose they did) and it ends up with lawsuit I will still be listening to some digital tool, write praises or not so much praises, ask about issues, bi**h around some. Hahaha, GML, Massenburg, lawsuit - I really don't care. Honestly.

I listened yesterday to this EQ 200 and I can't say that it's bad. It is not to my ears anyway. Of course, not all ears are the same, head shape, everything counts... Was it what real life EQ users expected (I have NEVER worked with real one so...) it to be? Can't tell you. I bet you that 99,99% of people who bought or demoing have NEVER seen one in life or heard one. So, I am still sticking to what's in front of me, with it's good and bad. There's both. As I said in previous post. Or two.

Stay safe and take care!

Krešo
Pa bought amek. So, unless they sue themselves I think their good.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
Pa bought amek. So, unless they sue themselves I think their good.
Hahahahaha!!! Right! ;-)
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

I’ve actually had a play with this one. Very smooth, very transparent. I’m not sure what a GML or Sontec sounds like, it I’m assuming you can probably hear some of that heritage in this. This one would definitely be great on just about anything, especially the mixbuss and for mastering purposes.

I’m a big fan of these additional features Brainworx keep adding to their plugins. The Mono Maker, TMT, a Mix control, all very valuable additions.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
I’m a big fan of these additional features Brainworx keep adding to their plugins. The Mono Maker, TMT, a Mix control, all very valuable additions.
What good is TMT in the mixbus and especially mastering?
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
TMT would have been modelled on the Amek this case. Part of what made them such great eqs was also the subtle harmonics the infected.

Harmonics doesn’t always have to be about track recording and big and in your face.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Maniac
who actually bought this plugin?
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
TMT would have been modelled on the Amek this case. Part of what made them such great eqs was also the subtle harmonics the infected.

Harmonics doesn’t always have to be about track recording and big and in your face.
Excuse me if I got it wrong. TMT is not about harmonics. It is about the slight variance of the settings between left and right, or additionally between the various instances of the plugin in the mix.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Excuse me if I got it wrong. TMT is not about harmonics. It is about the slight variance of the settings between left and right, or additionally between the various instances of the plugin in the mix.
He was Talking TMT and THEN harmonics

Notice that TMT also affect the hramonics BALANCE understand here a slight diff between L/R harmonic wise ...
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
He was Talking TMT and THEN harmonics

Notice that TMT also affect the hramonics BALANCE understand here a slight diff between L/R harmonic wise ...
I see...
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
who actually bought this plugin?
I bet almost nobody...and that seems to have been PA's whole strategy. Accessibility via subscription.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
There isn't one. Unless you like the idea of modelling a high grade mastering unit that needs calibrating (the channels can be 0.5dB out from each other). Somewhat of an oxymoron.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
There isn't one. Unless you like the idea of modelling a high grade mastering unit that needs calibrating (the channels can be 0.5dB out from each other). Somewhat of an oxymoron.
PA should build in a knob for dialing in the amount of TMT to taste optionally in all their plugins. That would be perfect, at least for me.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
PA should build in a knob for dialing in the amount of TMT to taste optionally in all their plugins. That would be perfect, at least for me.
Not a bad idea at all! Start from a 'perfect' channel and then be able to 'sweep' a knob to find the 'sweetspot'. TMT is 90% hit or miss and I generally don't bother. But I do flip through on busses to see if there is a 'magic' TMT channel that just instantly works on the material. Especially guitars and drum Ohs/Rooms.

But your idea would make it less luck and more intuitive.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
I agree on that with you. Dialing in would be nice touch. OTOH those tolerances and differences are subtle. Very subtle. And set all bit***ing aside and ghis or that, some TMT positions can really add value on certain source that's crazy how it feels right. But yeah, optional dialing in would be a plus!

Hehehe, we need to press PA thru Customer Tech Support and have them make us bx_TMT Master! Dang! How great would that be. Total rhapsody of tolerances - wires, connectors, patch bays, switches, cables, power outlets... Any and all stuff that has hum/noise ans you can possibly imagine. Of course, pots for dialing in are mandatory!

Ahhhaaahahahaha... ;-) :-P

Stay safe everyone!
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Not a bad idea at all! Start from a 'perfect' channel and then be able to 'sweep' a knob to find the 'sweetspot'. TMT is 90% hit or miss and I generally don't bother. But I do flip through on busses to see if there is a 'magic' TMT channel that just instantly works on the material. Especially guitars and drum Ohs/Rooms.

But your idea would make it less luck and more intuitive.
That would probably need such a big overhaul of the code that they just won't bother. The reason is, they're starting from an already modelled channel "Ch.1" where the knobs aren't even moving linearly along the freq/amplitude.

In fact I believe there is a major mistake/oversight in their TMT where the knob movement behavior is exactly the same on all channels, and it is just the frequency centerpoints & amplitude scaling that's changing, which can't be right. In other words the differences per channel are always static along the freq/amplitude axes, when TDR's own modelled "TMT" in SlickEQ GE (which is actually physically modelled from an SSL desk, not calculated) has even the knob behavior differences modelled, so the differences are dynamic.
📝 Reply