The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Is there a 2nd AMEK EQ 200? As there was an email this morning in my inbox. PA are no spammers, are they?
No, there's no second one. You misread it somehow. It's their older EQ, Millennia. Emu of tube & discrete 4 band EQ. M/S option too if I'm not mistaken. Check your inbox and you'll see what that's all about. I think that one is on sale now for 29 or 39 bucks. One of these prices. I'm writing this from the top of my head. I don't think PA are spammers. ;-)

Haven't tried that Millennia EQ thou. Download demo and check it out if you're feeling it.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
No, there's no second one. You misread it somehow.
I was being sarcastic about the PA spam. Of course there is no second one, there‘s only repeated mails telling us the very same product being released just now.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was being sarcastic about the PA spam. Of course there is no second one, there‘s only repeated mails telling us the very same product being released just now.
Hehe, all good! Keep on being sarcastic. Need fun and distracions around here. Hahahaha!
Old 24th May 2020
plx
Gear Addict

you can't make this **** up
Attached Thumbnails
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200-100514782_545477919485001_8939076799933972480_n.jpg  
Old 24th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
I don't know how this compares to whatever HW of if another EQ is subjectively better. This has a 'sound'! The way it stretches the audio frequencies (i really don't know how else to describe the hi-mids being 'opened' up with this EQ!).

Given the way I was tilting the mix I needed to scoop some low mid out and it did it with ease and transparency.
I agree. High mid boosts + low mid cuts on Amek 200 sound great! And the more I listen, the more I appreciate the subtle color they achieved here. Its a sound that works across a ton of mixes and is tastefully done.

I personally value this plugin at $100 and will likely purchase once it drops below that. I refuse to subscribe to anything that jeopardizes session recall in the event I decide to stop bleeding money every month.
Old 24th May 2020
Gear Maniac
is that keith ross message a joke... I have all these plugins, cause i bought them and i am happy with them, cause most of them support AAX DSP, but this statement is... I have no words for it...sry except i used the word "them" to much...sry

Mr.Ross is telling you all... Go into this Mega Subscription and you won´t regret it...

Hey Keith... I hate subscriptions and i never will go that route... sry...
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
you can't make this **** up
Pure POSITIVE
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Is the NSEQ-2 still worth it in 2020? I think I don‘t have an M/S EQ. The actual price should be around 16,80€ incl. VAT according to my calculations.
I was also curious, but then I noticed the output trim knob only allows cuts and doesn't boost the volume. This alone might be a deal breaker for me.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Maniac

I honestly think I'm positive of ending my subscription.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
I personally value this plugin at $100 and will likely purchase once it drops below that. I refuse to subscribe to anything that jeopardizes session recall in the event I decide to stop bleeding money every month.
I'm a happy sub. I don't get into the politics of their biz model. I use the matching voucher to get the perpetual licenses of the plugs I use daily. Personally, I spent more on PA plugs per year in the past than I do now. It works for me, but I get why others don't go that route.

Edit: I mean I don't get into the politics of their biz model anymore. That's a waste of time for me!
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Maniac
So how does the Amek compete with something like Softubes Curve Bender...
And is it worth the price against something like Weiss EQ1 or Maat Blue or Equilibrium...thx
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
And is it worth the price against something like Weiss EQ1 or Maat Blue or Equilibrium...thx
I think its become clear that EQuilbrium is the only one of these EQs priced at or below its true value.

To justify the cost of the others you must find your own personal value in them, knowing that EQuilbrium can likely match or beat them with the right settings.

This is true for me at least.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
At least you are not dying of marketing starvation.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Curve Bender is for me a nice EQ to mix into it, nice tone easy to dial in and it look beautiful. Especially for the sale price a really nice EQ.

Weiss have a great sound and is very easy to dial in. The comp feature is a nice addon. The hights are so smoove it's imo unbeatable. I don't had any weiss software so the price and the tiny GUI was too much for me. But for sure a nice EQ and on my "want" list.

MAAT blue or Santa Cruz sounds very good and is easy to dial in, nice punch crisp hights. Great channel EQ. But price is high so u have really decide for u own if u can justify that.

DMG is the most versatile. Is in most departments with the right moves equivalent or better then the contenders. For sure u get the most for ur money. And imo a must have.

AMEK sounds not baad. Actually it sounds very good and it's versatile enough to use it one busses and even channels. But imo the price is just too much for it.

Just my humble opinion of course. Everybody should just trial and see by themself what works.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Tonite I added the Millennia NSEQ-2 EQ to my toolbox. Kind of a 'buy the sale' decision.

I already have AA's IVORY suite ... so I can do some A/B compares.

Earlier I had purchased the BAX eq ... even though I have AA's CORAL and Baxter.

There are some slight differences between these 'emulations' ... interesting that one may turn out to be better for the gig
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Now there's a new "any Plugin for 49.99" offer which with the 25-tier-voucher translates to "any Plugin for 25 + VAT"

Which are the obvious choices to try? I was interested in the Oberhausen before but in some examples I heard it was pretty obvious that it doesn't get anywhere close to the OG. Might still give it a try, though
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now there's a new "any Plugin for 49.99" offer which with the 25-tier-voucher translates to "any Plugin for 25 + VAT"

Which are the obvious choices to try? I was interested in the Oberhausen before but in some examples I heard it was pretty obvious that it doesn't get anywhere close to the OG. Might still give it a try, though
TRIAD for 24 bucks is a steal for how deep it is....
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

It is a trap, they will up their game and send you three e-mails about the memorial sale.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
It is a trap, they will up their game and send you three e-mails about the memorial sale.
At least they won't send another mail reminding me that the sale just started. If they'd send out a newsletter notifying everyone that the AMEK EQ 200 "50 bucks less"-offer will end soon, I'd consider that as "informative" as well LOL
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Tonite I added the Millennia NSEQ-2 EQ to my toolbox. Kind of a 'buy the sale' decision.
I like mid and high boost in this EQ, does have a nice character in that area. But not good for low-end work. YMMV
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
I did a few blind tests with these two and picked Amek 200 9/10 times

I also ran some tests to see the harmonic distortion of each and found that Curve Bender is about as clean as it gets, even a +60dB signal comes out as clean as it came in. On the other hand the Amek 200 is quite far from clean at the default THD setting.

Interesting that people consider the Curve Bender a “color eq” because in my tests it adds virtually no color. I was surprise to find that the PA Lindell TE-1000 also adds no color because I always thought of it as a coloring eq. I think the vintage look of the plugin was tricking my ears.
EDIT: ignore all this, I had the analog option in the Lindell TE-1000 off and I also found that Curve Bender actually ads more harmonic distortion than Amek 200 in real-world scenarios

Quote:
These are squeaky clean digital eqs and Amek 200 is far from clean, so wether any of them is worth the price will depend on your personal preference and/or needs

Last edited by ohmicide; 25th May 2020 at 07:54 PM..
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
I also ran some tests to see the harmonic distortion of each and found that Curve Bender is about as clean as it gets, even a +60dB signal comes out as clean as it came in. On the other hand the Amek 200 is quite far from clean at the default THD setting.

Interesting that people consider the Curve Bender a “color eq” because in my tests it adds virtually no color. I was surprise to find that the PA Lindell TE-1000 also adds no color because I always thought of it as a coloring eq. I think the vintage look of the plugin was tricking my ears.
The CV is considered a mastering EQ so the harmonics are there but just not so prominent.

The Lindell TE-1000 without EQing the signal (boosts and cuts) it is super clean, you have to EQ to get the complex harmonics enabled, the more you EQ the more those harmonics get pushed up (they can reach a ~ -50 FS).
Old 25th May 2020
The TE-100 offers quite some flexibilty, I did demo it and it's under my radar.

you basically turn off the modeling part.

Analog
The “Analog” menu option controls :
● Circuit harmonic distortions
● Noise floor and PSU noise
● Circuit tone and phase distortion
Turn it on to get a very faithful emulation of the analog hardware unit, with all its character. Turn it off to get an idealized version of the unit, with a perfectly flat frequency response and no distortion or noise. But you still get the very powerful filters from this unit.
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
The TE-100 offers quite some flexibilty, I did demo it and it's under my radar.

you basically turn off the modeling part.

Analog
The “Analog” menu option controls :
● Circuit harmonic distortions
● Noise floor and PSU noise
● Circuit tone and phase distortion
Turn it on to get a very faithful emulation of the analog hardware unit, with all its character. Turn it off to get an idealized version of the unit, with a perfectly flat frequency response and no distortion or noise. But you still get the very powerful filters from this unit.
Heck, I thought the analog option just turned off the noise! Now that I think about it, I haven’t used it since I turned that option off by default. That’s really odd that they wouldn’t give you a separate option to turn off just the noise.
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
Heck, I thought the analog option just turned off the noise! Now that I think about it, I haven’t used it since I turned that option off by default. That’s really odd that they wouldn’t give you a separate option to turn off just the noise.
Yes I was suprised you associate "TE-100", and "clean"! I guess you used it super clean then.
And then yes, when you click analog, it's ALL IN. makes sense in a way.

I'm very tempted, demo TE-100 had put a big smile on my face.

Worth comparing with the Amek then.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Maniac

I just wanted to say that the price is really insane...
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Hey girls & boys,

and now, after all sorts of engagements here on this subject, that subject... finally I took time to sit peacefully and put it to work on actual music ready for final touches. And I really don't care about anything said before because it was all discussion on different subject(s).

AMEK 200 is very nice if you listen carefully. Some things I would make in a different way. Things like automatically engaged High-Pass and Low-Pass Filters. They're on by default. I'd make them off by default. This is no biggy. Right?

Also, mono maker does something weird but I need to test this with something more detailed like Plugin doctor which I run in demo mode only so who knows what I'll find there. I didn't take it to spin at this time thru Plugin doctor. I was just listening to it.

I run VST3 whenever there's an option for it. So AMEK 200 is installed on my Win10 Pro PC as VST3 at the moment. I have pretty good display, both res and size, EIZO 27" so I streched AMEK to 150%. When shut off/closed and opened again and 100% is chosen, container goes down in size but rendered plugin within stays at previous 150% size leaving you with smaller container and bigger plugin drawn inside that smaller container so only 2/3 is visible. Zero is top left corner. I hope I explained that well. ;-) If not, oh well, stick that to my English not being native language. Hehe... :-P

Moving on. AMEK sounds pretty nice. I said that before, I know. I'm getting old by the minute. I have to say, it sounds smooth, especially broad shelves both high and low. The broader the better. Very soft sounding. Auto listen is nice option to have too. What I would remove is that nonsense noise options THD and those virtual channels TMT. OTOH, since they're there, I love 6/7 and 10/11 best. On lower values (below -60 dB or -70) THD can be useful. It's sad that devs are cramping in those silly noise-addons. Before digital tools architects were trying to make gear as quiet and clean as possible. Now, devs are stuffing noise and TMT and all sorts of noise cr**p back in. Darn, hard to please everyone I guess. Especially young generations who can't differentiate one from another. Sorry all, especially young people who charge 20 or 30 bucks for mastering a song after they bought "I-am-no-naming-any-company" plugin, a 5-in-1 magical tool that covers all bases for you. Ughhh, this was long and hard to type. Especially on stoopid moby and tiny kbd.

I am still testing this plugin and I will not buy it yet. Not that the price is not good. It is high. But I still haven't put it to work thru paces.

I just wanted to share my thoughts with you girls and boys here. Mostly we were bitching about prices and BS instead of real work put thru it!

So far, so good. I like it, like it a lot. Sounds silky, sounds smooth. I guess all those TMT and THD and noise added in makes it 'dirty" and that dirz manifests as "analog". But hey, I am judging here how music sounded after the 200 was put in chain. Result? Very quickly good sounding result witj low-cut where needed, low freq. boost with auto-listen option and founded low fundamental, cut away few problematix dB in cca. 450-500 Hz region and one higj shelf, broad and higj on freq. my tested track I'm working on sounded pretty good. 4 or 5 moves, super fast and small cuts/boosts made all the difference. One simple tool, one EQ plugin if built well can get you very far!

I warmly recommend this AMEK EQ 200 to everyone. The best, the only way, is to grab it and install and then listen. It really sounds good. Nice.

Only thing you need to forget from the get go is that this is unique digital EQ, nothing else like it, before or after. Give it a try. Don't look at the price or similarities with Sontec, GML, PG or whichever people are trying to stuff it in category with. It is it's own category and that way we must listen to it.

Forget this marketing BS that it's modelled after "this box" or "that box". Just forget about that. Take it, listen to it and after critical and careful listening I am sure you will like the result. If not, take 5-in-1 and a 6 pack, drink 6 pack first, master afterwards and do not listen the next day you wake up. It's for the best! Hahaha...

Have fun everyone, stay safe, stay cool!
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
The CV is considered a mastering EQ so the harmonics are there but just not so prominent.
I ran some more "tests" and found that Curve Bender actually adds more harmonic distortion than Amek 200 with signals below 0dB, once you get waaaaaaaay past that is when the difference becomes very apparent but that's not a very realistic scenario so my original tests were crap!
Old 25th May 2020
plx
Gear Addict

Quote:
I ran some more "tests" and found that Curve Bender actually adds more harmonic distortion than Amek 200 with signals below 0dB, once you get waaaaaaaay past that is when the difference becomes very apparent but that's not a very realistic scenario so my original tests were crap!
it does? how? I barely got any harmonics from curve bender wtf.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
it does? how? I barely got any harmonics from curve bender wtf.
It doesn't from what i recall.it had some kind of "snapshot"of the noisefloor harmonics,but they never changed in intensity beyond the entire profile being amplified when you decrease input gain.i could be wrong,but that is what i remember noticing(think i commented on a similar observation in the CB thread as well)
📝 Reply