The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
I was going to buy it when it came on sale but I compared it to Amek 200 in a bunch of blind tests and picked the Amek 9 out of 10 times. I found Curve Bender sounded smoother overall so I can see why some would choose it over the Amek. Very subtle difference though, I'm sure neither one would make or break a record.
The Amek strongest point is the tight kinda snappy Qs, which is something totally different than the CV.

The CV is about wide-Q tonal colouring, which doesn't do the whole master bus EQ'ing on its own. Best paired with the MAAT Blue or Weiss EQ1 or even bx_digital3.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Lucky you
Do you enjoy it still?
I actually bought it in a 10+3 custom bundle with an additional voucher and an end-of-the-year 10% off, a deal that didn’t come back since then.

I use and enjoy the Curve Bender every now and then, however it didn‘t become one of my most essential plugins. I like what the Massive Passive can do to a bass for example and I didn’t find a similar task where the Curve Bender is super important to me. But I might be missing something, though... I use the GML EQ mostly and the thread about the v6 of that EQ got me thinking I should consider to use other EQs more often as some sound examples were posted where that EQ sounded a bit inferior compared to others... However I am not sure how well this comparison translates to my own process of making music.
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
You used hyperbole, comparing North Korea and PA/Dirk to make the latter seem worse than they are. Why is that?

I do not like restricting free speech and think it is a bad move by PA to introduce censorship in their facebook group. Why? Because in places where posts do not get deleted, ideas and opinions are thrashed out by reason, contrast, comparison, logic and fairness. In such places truth will eventually emerge victorious from the ashes of resentment and overly emotional and distorted sentiments.

I do however understand there may be a need to manage rising resentment that will likely become toxic if not managed one way or the other. Genuine concerns are of course fine as long as they are genuine and not from people who merely portray themselves as genuine and caring.

What do you think of Gearslutz in terms of censorship? Does it allow for the range of human expression that exists in a forum for bikers or boxers?

I actually explained to you why. I told you that it's the same mechanism, just in different scales. But you seem to want to thread the same waters, even after I explained it.

Suppression - the action of suppressing something such as an activity or publication.
(https://www.google.com/search?q=supp...rome&ie=UTF-8=)

I am fairly new to Gear Slutz, so I can not have an opinion on how Gear Slutz work. I mean I have been a member for years, but it's not a forum I frequent a lot, so not sure how things move in here.

I saw that Dirk said that if people didn't have anything nice to say, they should move on to Gear Slutz. They have been handling this thing badly for a long time and it just shows more and more. And at the moment, I don't have a lot of nice to say about PA, to be honest, so here I am, by recommendation from Dirk. And it seems like a lot of people feel the same.

Personally I have probably only bought a couple of plug ins directly from PA. When they started with the rent scheme all of their plug ins dropped like flies in second hand marked, so I managed to get pretty much every single plug in I wanted for very very low price, without putting money in their pocket. So actually for some of the customer groups, their strategy pushes people away and they will find other ways. They might have gained some customers, but they lost another bunch.

They choose to handle things like they do. I just can't support it anymore as they are blatantly trying to force people to the rent scheme.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffasplaffa View Post
I actually explained to you why. I told you that it's the same mechanism, just in different scales. But you seem to want to thread the same waters, even after I explained it.
No one is being physically offed for speaking their mind and the plugin starvation has not kicked in just yet. In different scales indeed.

Quote:
I am fairly new to Gear Slutz, so I can not have an opinion on how Gear Slutz work. I mean I have been a member for years, but it's not a forum I frequent a lot, so not sure how things move in here.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/faq....q_new_faq_item

Quote:
And it seems like a lot of people feel the same.
Do you use "think" and "feel" interchangeably, or is there a particular feeling you seem to share with other people?

Quote:
They choose to handle things like they do. I just can't support it anymore as they are blatantly trying to force people to the rent scheme.
I have read Dirk stating that he wants people to sub, but no one is forced to subscribe as of now. Even if PA change their business tomorrow, subs only, nobody is forced to sub. Free will is still intact.

Other than not pushing for subs, how should PA conduct business in order for you to support them?
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Free will is still intact.
Sam Harris thinks otherwise.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Nothing, as long as you don't buy.
Thank you,,,
What a reminder.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
Sam Harris thinks otherwise.
Some people also state "there is no truth". It is of course stated as the truth.

I choose freely between any options I am able to discern and am responsible for my choices. A part of my free will is regarding or disregarding my conscience. I do so even if Sam Harris would disagree, but he does not care about my opinion and why would he. Sam Harris, are you here and can you tell us what you think about PA forcing us to sub and buy their plugins against our will?
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sam Harris, are you here and can you tell us what you think about PA forcing us to sub and buy their plugins against our will?
Yes I am here.

Please stay on topic.

The illusion of choice is yours to make alone.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Harris View Post
Yes I am here.

Please stay on topic.

Ok. What do you think of the latest PA release?
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Harris View Post
Yes I am here.

Please stay on topic.

*chef's kiss*
Old 23rd May 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousbliss View Post
Hope you got a cpu with a real high single core score along with a lot of cores, you’re gonna be floored with what it can do at 88/96 and think you’re in some parallel universe if you keep things at 48 lol

If you got something as good as a Ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3.6, you’re in good shape. I use the scores at cpu.userbenchmark.com

UAD unison and console makes recording much easier and they have some really brilliant stuff. Capitol Chambers is probably a must-have. It can definitely help you if your native cpu power runs low.

I’ve been comparing the IK432 against Scarlet4 in preparation for this PA release. Never really used Sontec-based stuff before. What you said about it is spot on. I was just doing simple stuff with it. Boost 1-3 at 100hz cut 1 at 470 or whatever that 400 frequency is and boost 1-3 at the 7 or 8k frequency. Sometimes I’d play around with the Q values on Scarlet and the 5 and 6 numbers on IK. I’d almost always use the filters on both to move things down one notch each.

Results were hard to tell apart between the IK and Scarlet. Also got similar results trying to match it with Dangerous Bax, Nseq, VSE-2, and Tube Tech MK2. Scarlet would be cool to have, but I feel it can wait until they have another one of those 70% off sales. But I wouldn’t be surprised if AA ran a flash sale on it if they wanted to pick up people who were disappointed with this Amek.

Looks like I don’t even need to try this out. Maybe if it were $50. Even then, Acustica always has some plugin or plugin suite on sale for a little more than that. Waves has their blowout sales as usual too. If this eq is really this bad, sounds like the other PA offerings that go for $25 are a better investment. For $350, these plugins have to be absolute game-changers.
Hey VB, thanks for the reply. I'm getting the Mac Pro 12 core x2 24 core upgrade to my Mac Pro 4 core Mac now.
I mainly use Logic Pro for music and Pro Tools 11HD for recording and mixing.
The fact that I can mix on the 4 core tells you I'm very proficient and know my plugins and what power they use and how to get around using computer power.
With that said, I've tried AA plugins before and they never did well with my system. Way too power hungry so, I stay away from those.
The IK 432 is probably in my top 10 hungry computer hungry plugins ala Waves Reverbs (25%+), Relabs (All Of Them (35%+), Tverb (25%+), CLAMixHub (12%+), Softube Harmonic (23%+), Kush Clariphonic (12%+) and a few others. This has forced my to use other plugins that I probably would have either stopped using or just didn't buy/use and I'm so thankful for that.
There are some absolutely amazing plugin that are very low on cpu but are amazing in quality and vibe.
I only use the IK 432 EQ when I'm 90% done. It's mainly for part of the finished sound. It's a lot that goes into that sound.

Thanks again, Marc
Old 23rd May 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Studio one ? man you know my heart is fragile !!!

As for DSP , i would GO UAD if i really need dsp^(UAD, half of the stuff are there in native) simply because of consistant quality , maintenance AND DRIVERS .

Antelope (stories around the software side aren't encouraging , for me it's not quite mature and stable but i migt be wrong)

As for waves , if more plugin dev would have embraced it it would be great , but i dodn't even know if PA still does it .... sonnox if i recall well still ... notice i did my research and digigrid has a fan
Yeah, not really sure of the Digigrid either due to not a lot of support, not really into buying Waves that much anymore due to weird upgrade and wack practices.

Antelope looks promising but you can only do 6 plugins per unit or something like that? Is that true?

UAD seems cools but then I feel like I'm buying into Pro Tools HD again but, I guess that will always be the case.

Let's see when I get the processor upgrade if that will be enough. Hopefully it will for a while.

Thanks as always my friend, Marc
Old 23rd May 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
All their plugins are top notch IMO. Their SSL EQ4000 was the only one with properly implemented band interactions and DYN4000 was the only one with properly implemented Fast attack action
This is true. The only company to actually get the compressor correct. Unfortunately, once they did that, SSL reached out and stopped that.

Marc
Old 23rd May 2020
MAAT Red is out.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Maniac
the latency of the red is unacceptable for use with tracks, busses and co...
It sounds great, but its unusable for some tasks...
Even the orange has lower latency....
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
the latency of the red is unacceptable for use with tracks, busses and co...
It sounds great, but its unusable for some tasks...
Even the orange has lower latency....
Yeah red is a big hard pass for me until they fix a few things. Mid/side per band, latency/cpu and the slugginess of the gui. Sound is there, but i think they rushed this.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
Sound is there, but i think they rushed this.
Totally. As if they had some sudden urgency to release it this week...
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
Yeah red is a big hard pass for me until they fix a few things. Mid/side per band, latency/cpu and the slugginess of the gui. Sound is there, but i think they rushed this.
CPU seems very acceptable here on my machine. it's only using 3% while with the same amount of bands on Weiss 13% and Orange 11%.

Change the DSP resolution for the real-time to 32k (that's same as Weiss) and enable the high-quality DSP rendering mode.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
Totally. As if they had some sudden urgency to release it this week...
They might of been catching heatfrom pre order buyers and some might of been asking for refunds. Hopefully this is not the final version.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Addict

So the Amek sounds as if it might have been rushed?
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
So the Amek sounds as if it might have been rushed?
The Red.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

490dollar for the red is worth noticing, too.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
490dollar for the red is worth noticing, too.
Sure if it doesn't sound 2x better at least than EQuilibrium (FIR, 32k Linear) then it's a money waste for me. I didn't buy the Orange for that reason.

The Blue was the exception compared to EQuilibrium, as it offered to me a much tighter sound (better transients) in the minimum-phase region and can boost top-end more than EQuilibrium (or Pro-Q, Sonnox, bx_digital3) before it sounds harsh.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Maniac
I think we should get back on topic...
Someone shoud bump the release of the red, cause the original thread is old, but now its released...
And for me personally yes the orange,blue sounds better than equilibrium and pro q...
Even the mdweq sounds better... my personal opinion... Others say, that Equilibrium beats every Eq out there... why not..

So back to AMEK... Whats so special with this plugin... Its expensive and sounds not special to me... What makes it so expensive... the q behavior?...
Old 23rd May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
in the case of this Amek that's maybe better.
the THD is again a form of clipper, just like previous X PA plugs.
lazy, lazy.
How are you able to test that? Ive always wanted to see how different the saturation was between the various SSL Channels and other various consoles
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Maniac
i think PA always use the same THD algos in their channelstrips and now the amek...
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

The THD it's a generic soft-clipping that add harmonics.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
So back to AMEK... What makes it so expensive... the q behavior?...
Marketing.

Seriously, it’s not an official emulation so no licensing agreements or royalties.

There’s nothing special technically. No unique filter topologies, no new intuitive metering, no significant r&d has gone into improving the UX (like Fabfilter, iZotope etc.), no new formats to support.

I’m pretty certain it’s just a bunch of elements from brainworx’ DSP framework chucked together, probably with a few changes to the Q / gain/Q behaviour.

If this wasn’t a fairly cheap product to make I’d be very surprised. Of course, what makes something expensive or cheap doesn’t necessarily define its value

Last edited by iliveinacake; 23rd May 2020 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Pesky autocorrect
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinacake View Post
There’s nothing special technically. No unique filter topologies, no new intuitive metering, no significant r&d has gone into improving the UX (like Fabfilter, iZotope etc.), no new formats to support.

I’m pretty certain it’s just a bunch of elements from brainworx’ DSP framework chucked together, probably with a few changes to the Q / gain/Q behaviour.
Exactly this, and that's translating why it's so easy to match the sound of this EQ against the bx_digital v3. Man, even the built-in THD it's just a plain soft-clipping .. what a shame!
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Exactly this, and that's translating why it's so easy to match the sound of this EQ against the bx_digital v3. Man, even the built-in THD it's just a plain soft-clipping .. what a shame!
It's crossover distortion which is actually worse i'd say than a generic tahn or whatever function.the THD's in all the desks and the 2098 EQ are not all identical as i see people keep saying.they all are basically soft clipping functions,but they have sensitivity to certain frequencies which is what i would expect for desk modelling(they still dont sound good though either way.probably the way they are implemented).the only one that actually is a generic waveshaper and i am confused it got so much praise is the HG-2.there is absolutely nothing special about the DSP in that plugin.

I sent PA an email about why da fewk there is crossover distortion in a mastering EQ.if they even answer i'll post the response here
📝 Reply