The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
While I do not agree with how PA/Dirk is managing resentment, comparing the management of a facebook group to how proud North Korea would be goes to show you have lost the plot too.
No one is telling you to agree. If you actually read what I said, North Korea loves ALL forms of suppression, big and small.

That means it can be big suppression, like suppressing peoples physical needs to suppresing peoples opinions. Which is what PA does, they suppress peoples opinions.

So it's okay you don't feel the same, you are entitled to not feeling the same.

And I am entitled to say I think there is the similarities between types of suppression, it's the same mechanism at play, it's just a matter how much it's practised and how far they take it. But in the end, it's the same mechanism.
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear
This Joe Carrell quote cured my GAS for new plugins

Joe Carrell:

"Don't think that a plugin will change the world."

"Mixing better is not about a plugin its about a thousand little things that you do, some of which are plugins. If you base your whole mix on a certain brand of plugin your going to be frustrated a lot."
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by random musican View Post
Is TDR SlickEQ M a better and cheaper alternative? For me it is
Not just better but it's in an entirely different league. Unfortunately not many of those in "DPR" PA's group will get to realize that and they will truly think they will be missing out on such a "high-end plugin" (Dirk's own words ) if they don't buy or get the sub.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffasplaffa View Post
No one is telling you to agree. If you actually read what I said, North Korea loves ALL forms of suppression, big and small.
Comparing North Korea to anything that relates to PA and plugins is indeed losing the plot. You are of course free to do to do so, that is a given.

Quote:
So it's okay you don't feel the same, you are entitled to not feeling the same.
Yes, but I am mentally focused and do not find it useful to replace thoughts with anger, fear, disgust, happiness and so on when writing on forums. Sad.
Old 22nd May 2020
plx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by random musican View Post
Do you mean that you disapprove of price differentiating in general?
no, i disapprove of berating attitude toward your customers if they have a single complaint or suggestions that isn't 100% aligned with your point of view, providing a joke attempt at "listening to your customers" (because you complained, we will release the new EQ as perma-buy, but at a ridiculous price nobody in their right mind would pay), and having predatory marketing techniques in general.

i prefer plugin vendors that don't sound like used-car salesman, provide consistent quality, listen to good suggestions and actually fix bugs.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
and having predatory marketing techniques in general.
Are you a PA customer, or do you buy plugins elsewhere?
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
i prefer plugin vendors that don't sound like used-car salesman, provide consistent quality, listen to good suggestions and actually fix bugs.
don't we all?
Old 22nd May 2020
plx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Are you a PA customer, or do you buy plugins elsewhere?
i was, but due to Dirk's friendly attitude on a few of my observations, i sold most of them.

Mostly here for ****s and giggles (aka, his devout followers and his ridiculous marketing)
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
So it's official.

Plugin Alliance completely lost the plot. If you say something, which is relevant and justified, but they deem as "negative" you are kicked out of the Facebook group and your post is deleted.
Sounds like they've gone full on Scientology.

Gearslutz = Suppressive Person(s).
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Comparing North Korea to anything that relates to PA and plugins is indeed losing the plot. You are of course free to do to do so, that is a given.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
used since ancient times to make a point. Completely valid in a discussion for some thousand years.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
no, i disapprove of berating attitude toward your customers if they have a single complaint or suggestions that isn't 100% aligned with your point of view, providing a joke attempt at "listening to your customers" (because you complained, we will release the new EQ as perma-buy, but at a ridiculous price nobody in their right mind would pay), and having predatory marketing techniques in general.

Yeah but free plugs and townhouse for $4 in the glory days still leaves me
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
used since ancient times to make a point. Completely valid in a discussion for some thousand years.
Yes, hyperbole is a way of speaking or writing that makes someone or something sound bigger, better, worse etc. than they are.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Their Fairchild plugin is underrated and worth checking out also.
All their plugins are top notch IMO. Their SSL EQ4000 was the only one with properly implemented band interactions and DYN4000 was the only one with properly implemented Fast attack action
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Their Fairchild plugin is underrated and worth checking out also.
Oh yes. Definitely one of the best Fairchild plugins out (Overtone DSP FC-70). Also their Pultec emu. A real smasher

BTW Softube Curve Bender Mastering EQ: 139.- today
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Worth it if you ask me .. this is the best colouring bus EQ plugin.
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

Yes, but I am mentally focused and do not find it useful to replace thoughts with anger, fear, disgust, happiness and so on when writing on forums. Sad.

Oh well. Truth hurts

They ARE suppressing peoples opinions. They are trying to force their idea on to everyone, they block people who have genuine concerns, etc. That is exactly the definition of suppression.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Be careful guys - I already got kicked out of the Luna thread forever for much less than that (at a time where I was one of the most loyal UAD customers). Dirk Jong-Un might have enough influence to kick your ass as much as Bill Jinping kicked mine.
Old 22nd May 2020
Some bitter people here are really sad to me, waste of energy. specially when you have sold your PA plugs.

I'll not be in for the new Amek because I own great EQs include BXv3. A few PA plugins carefully chosen, on agressive sale.

Not caring much about politics or defending PA, but they let me post about Alpha compressor and its bug, with a video. on FB. I asked if they do anything, a lot of people are discovering that, I thought it's fair that they know. pretty open minded from them to let it show on their page, the day of the sale.
the bug is rare so I guess most people are happy anyway.

I have ditched UAD ( so my Alpha Compressor on their platform). I'm not going to bother with the native PA even at 25$, although I used to love it. Unisum maybe.

my other PA are ok, cheap and they do their thing ( metric AB, BXV3, Opticom, Vitalizer) colors I needed.

rage on
Old 22nd May 2020
plx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
Some bitter people here are really sad to me, waste of energy. specially when you have sold your PA plugs.

I'll not be in for the new Amek because I own great EQs include BXv3. A few PA plugins carefully chosen, on agressive sale.

Not caring much about politics or defending PA, but they let me post about Alpha compressor and its bug, with a video. on FB. I asked if they do anything, a lot of people are discovering that, I thought it's fair that they know. pretty open minded from them to let it show on their page, the day of the sale.
the bug is rare so I guess most people are happy anyway.

I have ditched UAD ( so my Alpha Compressor on their platform). I'm not going to bother with the native PA even at 25$, although I used to love it. Unisum maybe.

my other PA are ok, cheap and they do their thing ( metric AB, BXV3, Opticom, Vitalizer) colors I needed.

rage on
oh its you. i replied to your thread.

i don't know why holding principles is sad to you tho - also you seemed to like me more there on the group than here
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post

Just got the email, and bought it!

Smashing deal! Thanks Softube.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Humanoid View Post
Just got the email, and bought it!

Smashing deal! Thanks Softube.
I bought the UAD Version years ago for 67€
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Addict

Im compelled to share that I think Dirk is a good dude. Anyone who has been to a trade show in the past 10 years has seen Steven slate walk around like he just headlined Coachella. Dirk walks around like he's your long lost stoner buddy from high school. Super approachable, easy to talk to and down to earth.

That said, it seems clear that the drive to keep business growing year after year (in the true spirit of capitalism) might be affecting their business ethics. Playing number games to manipulate customers into subscribing is bad karma in any universe.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Okay, that beats my deal. Still, at 139 its pretty good.
Old 22nd May 2020
Quote:
oh its you. i replied to your thread.

i don't know why holding principles is sad to you tho - also you seemed to like me more there on the group than here
because you sound really hurt here, holding a grudge, plus "scrutinizing s PA marketing" is quite out topic on the Amek Release ( other than I personally find sad).

to me, it's actally out topic once you leave them. but you're like "resisting" , for others, from outside.

I ditched UAD, you won't hear me complain about them, or defend anything/anyone from their marketing. my wallet has spoke, and a couple of nicely put messages where I explain why, and some people were interested. but done now.

I'm really here to read about tools. anyway I won't prolongate the OT !

your Non repetitive, insightful opinion on a specific issue seems totally welcome on FB thought.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
Not just better but it's in an entirely different league.
If I disagree does that make me a suppressed PA fanboy?

Perhaps you're right, that they are in different leagues, because they are not that comparable to me
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Oh well. Truth hurts

They ARE suppressing peoples opinions. They are trying to force their idea on to everyone, they block people who have genuine concerns, etc. That is exactly the definition of suppression.
You used hyperbole, comparing North Korea and PA/Dirk to make the latter seem worse than they are. Why is that?

I do not like restricting free speech and think it is a bad move by PA to introduce censorship in their facebook group. Why? Because in places where posts do not get deleted, ideas and opinions are thrashed out by reason, contrast, comparison, logic and fairness. In such places truth will eventually emerge victorious from the ashes of resentment and overly emotional and distorted sentiments.

I do however understand there may be a need to manage rising resentment that will likely become toxic if not managed one way or the other. Genuine concerns are of course fine as long as they are genuine and not from people who merely portray themselves as genuine and caring.

What do you think of Gearslutz in terms of censorship? Does it allow for the range of human expression that exists in a forum for bikers or boxers?
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman View Post
If I disagree does that make me a suppressed PA fanboy?
No one said so, unless you've been whining about other opinions. How it sounds to you and how it helps your workflow & decision-making are king of course, although there ARE quite a few objective reasons why SlickEQ M is better. If you've been following Fabien & Vlad you'd know how competent and extremely thoughtful they are about every step in building their plugins... not to mention how open they are to technical discussions and criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
Im compelled to share that I think Dirk is a good dude. Anyone who has been to a trade show in the past 10 years has seen Steven slate walk around like he just headlined Coachella. Dirk walks around like he's your long lost stoner buddy from high school. Super approachable, easy to talk to and down to earth.

That said, it seems clear that the drive to keep business growing year after year (in the true spirit of capitalism) might be affecting their business ethics. Playing number games to manipulate customers into subscribing is bad karma in every dimension of any universe.
I've no doubt he's not a bad person, but one huge thing he could take from Steven's book is the total emotional detachment from criticism of his products. Throw anything at Steven and he will gracefully take it, and counter with solid objective arguments that are likely to make you look like a fool (it helps of course that his products are generally of a better technical quality than BX/PA's) Dirk on the other hand gets way too over-protective and emotional and will take it as some kind of personal vendetta.
Psychoanalysis session over
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post

That said, it seems clear that the drive to keep business growing year after year (in the true spirit of capitalism) might be affecting their business ethics. Playing number games to manipulate customers into subscribing is bad karma in every dimension of any universe.
Lol I completely agree about Steven Slate

The issue is not personal with Dirk at all, I also believe he's a good man. But those weird marketing tactics, the effort to suppress opinions, refuse to admit bugs and then take years to fix them. that's the real issue.
Old 22nd May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Worth it if you ask me .. this is the best colouring bus EQ plugin.
I was going to buy it when it came on sale but I compared it to Amek 200 in a bunch of blind tests and picked the Amek 9 out of 10 times. I found Curve Bender sounded smoother overall so I can see why some would choose it over the Amek. Very subtle difference though, I'm sure neither one would make or break a record.

Back to topic,

Overall I think Amek is a very welcome addition to the PA lineup, It's the most versatile coloring EQ I've got at the moment so I'm sure it will come in handy. I definitely wouldn't buy it at the asking price or anywhere close (I wouldn't buy any single plug-in at that price point honestly) but I have been very happy with the MEGA monthly subscription which is costing me $15/mo because of the heavy hitter sale they had when it was released.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Lucky you
Do you enjoy it still?
📝 Reply