The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So I decided to start my own little company... Audio Interfaces
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus View Post
I'm really trying to use locally harvested, sustainable wood sources as much as possible. I know guitar amps aren't the most planet friendly devices out there but I want to try to make it as "green" as possible. Do you know of a wood supplier that practices sustainable wood harvesting?

Not off the top of my head, but I'll ask around.
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVD View Post
Not off the top of my head, but I'll ask around.
Cool thanks! I just checked out your website and you have some sweet looking stuff on there!
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

- not very exotic, but maybe recycled lumber? I've seen nice hardwood flooring and molding... old barn and ship timbers and the like - just a thought.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
- not very exotic, but maybe recycled lumber? I've seen nice hardwood flooring and molding... old barn and ship timbers and the like - just a thought.
Actually I am having ten cabinets built next week that are made from a vintage basketball court!
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually I am having ten cabinets built next week that are made from a vintage basketball court!
That's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm really trying to use locally harvested, sustainable wood sources as much as possible.
i doubt it's local, but bamboo is sustainable.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
i doubt it's local, but bamboo is sustainable.
That was my first thought also, as I have a relative who grows the stuff commercially. I'm not sure it would be my first choice for cabinetry, not that it can't be done. BTW, It could be grown locally.

Apparently, Jatoba (aka brazilian cherry) is a sustainable lumber. Obviously not local but it is a very pretty wood and is rather inexpensive as well. It also has a very high spacific gravity and your cabinet maker might curse you as his tools are burning up. heh
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict

2nd the Jatoba. I have worked with it and it is beautiful, redder than mahogony with similar grain. Very dense, strong and super stable. I have used it for guitar making forms, etc.

A sample of unfinished Jatoba:
Attached Thumbnails
So I decided to start my own little company...-sample_jatoba.jpg  
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was my first thought also, as I have a relative who grows the stuff commercially. I'm not sure it would be my first choice for cabinetry, not that it can't be done. BTW, It could be grown locally.

Apparently, Jatoba (aka brazilian cherry) is a sustainable lumber. Obviously not local but it is a very pretty wood and is rather inexpensive as well. It also has a very high spacific gravity and your cabinet maker might curse you as his tools are burning up. heh
I will have to look into that. The first cabinets will be made of locally farmed cherry and the recycled maple I mentioned but I would love to try out different woods if this little project takes off at all. Thanks to all for the advice!
Old 27th September 2008
Lives for gear

Here is a photo of the first batch of cabinets!!
Attached Thumbnails
So I decided to start my own little company...-img_4993.jpg  
Old 27th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
very nice!
Old 27th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice. Where do I sign up?

Have you had a chance to do any clips yet?
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice. Where do I sign up?

Have you had a chance to do any clips yet?
Well you can sign up right here!! heh

We will be doing sound clips hopefully this week. I had Avatar build a pretty cool closed back 2x12 cab for me to test it with. It is loaded with a Celestion Heritage G12H on one side and an Alnico Blue on the other. I think that I may mic up both speakers individually and the do a mono room mic. It is pretty amazing how loud it gets with that cab!
Old 8th October 2008
Lives for gear

Things have been a little delayed in doing the sound clips. Sorry to any who were waiting for it. I am hoping to be able to record some quick clips tonight. I got the first batch of tubes today so the first amps can ship at the end of the week. Thanks!
Old 9th October 2008
Lives for gear

Here is a quick sample that I recorded last night. I just did it at my church so it's pretty raw. I just used the gear that they had there. The recording chain is G&L Legacy Special loaded with Fender Fat 50's pickups-> Anklebiter->Avatar 2x12->Heil Sound PR20->Presonus Firebox. It's just a short clip of my brother noodling around. The amp is turned up to about 3 o'clock but he has the volume control of the guitar backed off to get a warm clean sound that can get a little more grit when you dig in.
Attached Files

anklebiterfingerstyle.mp3 (3.97 MB, 315 views)

Old 9th October 2008
500 series nutjob

nice!
Old 9th October 2008
Gear Addict

Nice sample.

Would you mind posting a sample of the amp dimed?
Old 9th October 2008
Lives for gear

Here is something a little more distorted. The amp is still a 3 o'clock but the guitar's volume is up a bit. Thanks.
Attached Files

anklebiter choppy.mp3 (2.68 MB, 225 views)

Old 12th October 2008
Lives for gear

Just in case anyone is curious I posted more pictures of the Anklebiter here.
Old 14th October 2008
Gear interested

Just checked out the products, look cool.

Congrats!
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleibo View Post
Just checked out the products, look cool.

Congrats!
Thanks!!!
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

I have had a few requests for pics of the "guts" of the amp, so here's one:
Attached Thumbnails
So I decided to start my own little company...-anklebiter-inside.jpg  
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

Hey David,

Have you expermiented with using other electrolytics besides the Illinois caps? Spragues are pretty popular and sound a bit better IMHO even though they cost a few dollars more. Also, are those Mallory 150's in the tone circuit?

Brad
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Hey David,

Have you expermiented with using other electrolytics besides the Illinois caps? Spragues are pretty popular and sound a bit better IMHO even though they cost a few dollars more. Also, are those Mallory 150's in the tone circuit?

Brad
Brad,

I basically just trusted Jim Nickelson (owner of Little Dawg Amps, and builder of the Anklebiter) on the choices for the parts in the amp. We actually discussed the caps and he felt that the Illinois we just as good. If someone were to want to order an amp with the Spragues I would do it at no additional charge. I will ask Jim to get on here to see if he can answer the questions more specifically. Thanks!
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Just in case anyone is curious I started a thread on the Anklebiter here. Thanks!
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear
looks awesome... what ever happened to the AudioThrottle?
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
looks awesome... what ever happened to the AudioThrottle?
Oh that is still happening. I was just able to bring the amp to market first, that's all. Thanks for your interest!
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear
Excellent - I'm excited (and will hopefully buy) BOTH heh
Old 30th January 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Oh that is still happening. I was just able to bring the amp to market first, that's all. Thanks for your interest!
keep us all posted!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search