The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube and Weiss Release EQ1, Gambit Series for Console 1 and Complete Collection
Old 30th May 2020
  #811
Gear Nut
 
808lab's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
First : Weiss sound better than it looks

Second : if i want something smooth like the 4000 curve i can do it with the weiss ...wistch introduce the next ... :

Third : those are different , tools need to be mastered , and then used right .

Conclusion : i'm with you with the Q guyz but i swear if you can't get the Weiss to sound at least superb , change job ....


Hope it's not too rude ?

Daniel nothing aginst you at all , needed your post cause there's the graph lol ...
I quote every word
Old 31st May 2020
  #812
Gear Maniac
 
Digital Crush's Avatar
Weiss gambit is just an indispensable addition to Console 1 imho
Old 31st May 2020
  #813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush View Post
Weiss gambit is just an indispensable addition to Console 1 imho
For me it pushes Console 1into being used as a utility with a high quality fixing EQ and not just a controller for retro channel strips.
Old 31st May 2020
  #814
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
For me it pushes Console 1into being used as a utility with a high quality fixing EQ and not just a controller for retro channel strips.
Even More Blayz , for me it close the gap , to the ability of C1 to be used from start to finish , i alwayz went 3rd party for master buss and some busses , now i will think twice , still will neeed some M/S or dual mono (at least the could propose a simple,option to tick to choose dual mono operation) from time to time but that's it , will do the rest in mastering !!
Old 1st June 2020
  #815
Gear Addict
 
Robb Robinson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Even More Blayz , for me it close the gap , to the ability of C1 to be used from start to finish , i alwayz went 3rd party for master buss and some busses , now i will think twice , still will neeed some M/S or dual mono (at least the could propose a simple,option to tick to choose dual mono operation) from time to time but that's it , will do the rest in mastering !!
We are about to build a lean and mean ITB mix rig and I want to keep it simple (and fast), so C1 is ticking all the boxes. Do you like the sound of all the C1 libraries or some over the others?
Old 1st June 2020
  #816
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
We are about to build a lean and mean ITB mix rig and I want to keep it simple (and fast), so C1 is ticking all the boxes. Do you like the sound of all the C1 libraries or some over the others?
Been a C1 user forever....

One thing you should consider before diving in -- Are you using a DAW that is fully supported? Ableton Live, Cubase, Reaper, Studio One all are 100% compatible and it makes a huge difference in how you use it.

In terms of the channel strips I own all of them except the Weiss (I have the DS1 bundle and didn't think the C1 strip was worth the price since it uses 3 sections of of the strip from the DS1) and the Zener Bender strips. For me, the SSL 9000 strip and the API are the two best. I always use the C1 after I run a corrective / surgical EQ to remove resonances. First EQ is usually an Eiosis Air EQ or Fabfilter and then the C1 to give it some vibe. I think it works better as an additive vs subtractive thing, personally, and I use it for broadstroke beefing up and fattening of tracks mainly.

The big upshot of the C1 is that all of Softube's plug ins work with it and you can mix and match EQ and compressor sections from anything in their product line.
Old 1st June 2020
  #817
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
We are about to build a lean and mean ITB mix rig and I want to keep it simple (and fast), so C1 is ticking all the boxes. Do you like the sound of all the C1 libraries or some over the others?
I own all Channels and preety all Softube FX , so it's a pleasure , if you want a trident eq or passive one , a cl1 B comp or a Fet .... ect ....so it's reall fun to use ....also UAD is another superb option . I don't know if i would have bougth all chennels if i had all the C1 uad compatible stuff ...

As for the sound it really depends on projects and tracks ....for me the all arounders are def the SSL ... anyb ody could mix any style with those ....

For rock and acoustic based hip hop , the API and Zerner will rock ...and the neve and summit i susually love those for vocals and instruments ....the TLA 100 comp is even used on some beats ....

Pretty always same sweet psot moves so not so good if abused ....

But again it depends on sources ...the quality of the drives makes other drive plugin useless when i'm fast unless i want a specific thing (others get used during product as part of the sound)

I love to use the drive to counter clikiness on some api /zener snap ....just like the real thing does to transients ....

And lately the weiss is a piece of art ... and i can say this with the control of all GS , this strip sounds and feel like HW !!

So to answer your question if i had to keep 3

SSL 9000
Zener
Weiss
Old 1st June 2020
  #818
Gear Addict
 
4fmb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
We are about to build a lean and mean ITB mix rig and I want to keep it simple (and fast), so C1 is ticking all the boxes. Do you like the sound of all the C1 libraries or some over the others?

You specified "lean and mean ITB mix rig," so I'm not going to include the Weiss's, although I absolutely love 'em and having them available in Console 1 (not that they can't be great for mixing as well, but I use them at the mastering stage). Same reason for not including the NEVE Console (I track through Neve). I didn't pick up the 9000 K, but I think the 4000 E works quickly and well for mixing (just like in analogue!). The API would be a great complement to the SSL (or vice versa).

I'd also want the Zener-Bender and Germanium options at the mixbus stage. Finally, I absolutely love the Summit's and we've got to get some tube love in here with all the SS. I have hardware, and Softube got *really* close. I know there were people on this forum who sold their hardware after shooting it out with the plugins. I will not, but I have a couple of Summit pre's as well, so those anchor me quite contentedly into the Dave Hill universe. I also think they've done a great job on the Tube-Tech's...I just find myself gravitating more personally to the Summit's over those.

So my C1 mix rig would be:

SSL 4000 E
American Class A
Chandler Limited Zener-Bender
Chandler Limited Germanium
Summit Audio Grand Channel
Old 1st June 2020
  #819
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
SSL 9000
Zener
Weiss
Hi Jeezo, if you had to choose between 9k and Weiss?
Old 1st June 2020
  #820
Gear Addict
 

SSL 4000E vs Weiss Gambit. +4db Low/High Bells.
Attached Thumbnails
Softube and Weiss Release EQ1, Gambit Series for Console 1 and Complete Collection-ssl-4000e.png   Softube and Weiss Release EQ1, Gambit Series for Console 1 and Complete Collection-weiss-gambit.png  
Old 1st June 2020
  #821
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
SSL 4000E vs Weiss Gambit. +4db Low/High Bells.
Isn't it possible to match the Q settings for this exercise ?
Old 1st June 2020
  #822
Gear Addict
 
Robb Robinson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
For me, the SSL 9000 strip and the API are the two best.

The big upshot of the C1 is that all of Softube's plug ins work with it and you can mix and match EQ and compressor sections from anything in their product line.
Those are two complementary flavors to have, so i'm happy to hear they did a great job on their emulations.

I used to have a 64 channel API Vision and when I listen back to those mixes now I grin ear to ear from the midrange punch. A flipping great sound to have in the bag for when it works.

We use PT and Reaper. Is C1 stable in PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
SSL 9000
Zener
Weiss
Thanks Jeezo. I'm lovin your guys enthusiasm for C1. I had a feeling it was bad ass all these years, but never had a reason to investigate till now. Sounds like I need to try them all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
SSL 4000 E
American Class A
Chandler Limited Zener-Bender
Chandler Limited Germanium
Summit Audio Grand Channel
We have some summit hardware here and so if they nailed that sound in the C1 that alone would be quite exciting. 32 channels of that on certain tunes would be unreal. Im all about limitations these days...

Ok guys, Im sold. Looking forward to a consistent interface track to track. Thank you!
Old 1st June 2020
  #823
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Isn't it possible to match the Q settings for this exercise ?
Hi,

C1 have fixed Q for high and low bells/shelves.

Daniel.
Old 1st June 2020
  #824
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Hi,

C1 have fixed Q for high and low bells/shelves.

Daniel.
I see, I've never had it on my screen, no idea.
cheers
Old 1st June 2020
  #825
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post

We use PT and Reaper. Is C1 stable in PT?
Protools has the least amount of Console One integration. It will not auto rename your channels for you. It won't track follow. If you're going to use Console One, you'd have to do Reaper if you really want to enjoy working with it.

I wouldn't bother with it in Protools because you'll get too caught up in the making sure the track you selected in PT is the same that's selected on Console One and renaming them, etc...I actually don't think C1 will re-arrange track order either, unfortunately. So if you decide to move channel 34 up to channel 16 in PT, it won't follow that move and you'll have to manually move it in C1.
Old 1st June 2020
  #826
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
SSL 4000E vs Weiss Gambit. +4db Low/High Bells.
I wouldn't look at the curves and just go by your ears.

When I'm using the C1, I try to not even pay attention to the FR view because it always looks off to me. I have a buddy who keeps keeps it on the view where it only shows generic knobs and no FR view so it forces him to just use his ears.
Old 1st June 2020
  #827
Gear Nut
 

Finally bought the whole Weiss Collection yesterday after testing it for a whole month. I can get it to sound really good really fast and that's what's important. EQ1 proved to be something I can count on being transparent, smooth and sweet whatever the task I want to achieve. It's great on some demanding tracks, buses and on a master bus too. Dynamic features are amazing.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me make my mind up and shared tips on how to make Equilibrium sound similar or, in some cases, better. I compared them thoroughly and I learned more about Equilibrium, but EQ1 is still proved to be indespensable to me. This thread helped me pay more attention to subtle aspects of this processor, so thank you all. In the end I'm not expecting it to work and decide instead of me, and I'm well beyond the honeymoon by now, but it's the fact that what it aims to do it does very well and I did my best to avoid bias here by testing countless times against other options. It still stands at least on par, in the same league with the best.
Old 1st June 2020
  #828
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyosha View Post
Finally bought the whole Weiss Collection yesterday after testing it for a whole month. I can get it to sound really good really fast and that's what's important. EQ1 proved to be something I can count on being transparent, smooth and sweet whatever the task I want to achieve. It's great on some demanding tracks, buses and on a master bus too. Dynamic features are amazing.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me make my mind up and shared tips on how to make Equilibrium sound similar or, in some cases, better. I compared them thoroughly and I learned more about Equilibrium, but EQ1 is still proved to be indespensable to me. This thread helped me pay more attention to subtle aspects of this processor, so thank you all. In the end I'm not expecting it to work and decide instead of me, and I'm well beyond the honeymoon by now, but it's the fact that what it aims to do it does very well and I did my best to avoid bias here by testing countless times against other options. It still stands at least on par, in the same league with the best.
I'm close to pull the trigger on this one too...workflow and sound are impressive. I reset my Equilibrium demo, testes it against EQ1, and as much as I love this EQ, at the end of the day, I'm not willing to deal with such an immersive interface. I'm more into efficiency/fast process than tweakability/deep settings. In that regard the EQ1 is the perfect balance between musical/clean sounding eq and efficiency in my case. But damn it's a bit expensive.
Old 1st June 2020
  #829
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
Those are two complementary flavors to have, so i'm happy to hear they did a great job on their emulations.

I used to have a 64 channel API Vision and when I listen back to those mixes now I grin ear to ear from the midrange punch. A flipping great sound to have in the bag for when it works.

We use PT and Reaper. Is C1 stable in PT?

Thanks Jeezo. I'm lovin your guys enthusiasm for C1. I had a feeling it was bad ass all these years, but never had a reason to investigate till now. Sounds like I need to try them all!
We have some summit hardware here and so if they nailed that sound in the C1 that alone would be quite exciting. 32 channels of that on certain tunes would be unreal. Im all about limitations these days...

Ok guys, Im sold. Looking forward to a consistent interface track to track. Thank you!
You re welcome Robb , anytime , pretty sure you will love it .... we focus a lot on the sound , but i swear even if the sound was just ok , i would go for it for the fun it provids wirkflow wise , the ice on the cake being that we get Softube exellence behind that , we can say anything , but softube knows a thing or too when it comes to make great tools ...
Old 1st June 2020
  #830
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
I wouldn't look at the curves and just go by your ears.
Hi, it doesn't apply when you can't set by ear a fixed Q setting.

Daniel.
Old 1st June 2020
  #831
Gear Addict
 
Robb Robinson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Protools has the least amount of Console One integration. It will not auto rename your channels for you. It won't track follow. If you're going to use Console One, you'd have to do Reaper if you really want to enjoy working with it.

I wouldn't bother with it in Protools because you'll get too caught up in the making sure the track you selected in PT is the same that's selected on Console One and renaming them, etc...I actually don't think C1 will re-arrange track order either, unfortunately. So if you decide to move channel 34 up to channel 16 in PT, it won't follow that move and you'll have to manually move it in C1.
Good to know, thanks man.
Old 2nd June 2020
  #832
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
Those are two complementary flavors to have, so i'm happy to hear they did a great job on their emulations.

I used to have a 64 channel API Vision and when I listen back to those mixes now I grin ear to ear from the midrange punch. A flipping great sound to have in the bag for when it works.

We use PT and Reaper. Is C1 stable in PT?

Thanks Jeezo. I'm lovin your guys enthusiasm for C1. I had a feeling it was bad ass all these years, but never had a reason to investigate till now. Sounds like I need to try them all!
We have some summit hardware here and so if they nailed that sound in the C1 that alone would be quite exciting. 32 channels of that on certain tunes would be unreal. Im all about limitations these days...

Ok guys, Im sold. Looking forward to a consistent interface track to track. Thank you!
If i recall well Wheelie did a A/B for the summit HW ...

here we go

but pretty sure you gonna give us you're own feedback , we have a tla 100 at school but never did an AB lol , shame on me !!
Old 2nd June 2020
  #833
Gear Addict
 
4fmb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
If i recall well Wheelie did a A/B for the summit HW ...

here we go

but pretty sure you gonna give us you're own feedback , we have a tla 100 at school but never did an AB lol , shame on me !!
1) Hey, thanks for this! I don't remember seeing this video. You know, this *is* really close! I own Summit hardware, but I have two MPC-100a MicPre/Comp's and a DCL-200 Stereo Comp/Lim, so I can't compare 1-1 with TLA-100. Some on this Forum who have (or have used) both MPC's and TLA's have said there's a difference in the compression. For me, in a mix, I've had zero complaints in throwing multiple Softube TLA's on tracks. My HW DCL-200 does double duty for me as a bus comp on strings or other orchestral during mixdown, and sometimes on my HW mastering chain as well.

On some things I could hear the difference Wheelie mentioned, on others I couldn't. When he added in a transformer from Kazrog's True Iron to the Softube on one track, the track got pretty much indistinguishable to me from the hardware. Maybe still a little more detail on the high's in the HW.

So I've picked up a little tip from watching this, which is to throw TI on in conjunction with the Softube Summit. Sweet. I'll probably experiment with Kazrog's True Dynamics as well. Wheelie mentioned a couple times that the differences he could hear could well just come down to the fact that his hardware unit was not the one modeled, and so the tubes between the two "units" were different.

2) As very useful as the video was to me personally, I'm still mindful that this thread is about the Weiss EQ-1. Haven't done exhaustive testing, but so far my conclusion is that between the EQ-1 and MAAT thEQred I'm 95% good for mastering. There could be tracks where my UAD Massenburg 5 might still be better, or one of the other options I have. But with the Weiss, I don't feel a need to keep deliberating on the MAAT thEQorange. They are *not* the same, but for the territory the orange covers, and the fact that my mixes usually don't need the kind of correction the orange can do, I don't think I will need both. The EQ-1 is golden.
Old 3rd June 2020
  #834
Gear Addict
 
streaky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
Looks more like a product endorsement/hidden sponsoring than a review (no real in depth examples and insights about technical usage). This guy's channel is made with lot of clickbates titles but very superficial content. Also is he so deaf that he has to shout instead of talking at a normal level ???

Unfortunately, I didn't get paid...I've not even been given a discount :(

I've used and loved the Weiss gear all my life so this coming out was great and I think they've done a good job.


Sorry for showing my excitement :(

I'm pleased you enjoyed the review anyway!


Best
Streaky.
Old 3rd June 2020
  #835
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streaky View Post
I'm pleased you enjoyed the review anyway!
Thanks for your work Streaky, but I'd wish you paid a little bit more attention to when do you pick EQ1 versus other processors that you use, other more advanced things rather than some basic UI tutorial. This costs a lot so most users already know what they're paying for and know how to use EQ.

Still enjoy your videos and wish you to get paid next time :D.
Old 3rd June 2020
  #836
Lives for gear
 
Robo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
SSL 4000E vs Weiss Gambit. 4db Shelves.
Some voices here I respect a lot so bear with me but.. are those shelves really that bad? Seems like they could sound very nice indeed—a bit of a Pultec vibe with the suckout at muddy/resonant frequencies (100-150Hz/4-8K), bump in the subs/highs (40-80Hz/10-12K) and a slight tapering off into ULF/UHF. Yeah we expect a smoother-looking curve in mastering-type EQs, but I think this kind of 'flat top' shelf can be just as good in a different kind of way—if that's how it is in the original hardware anyway. If not of course, I'll get me coat..!
Old 3rd June 2020
  #837
Gear Nut
 
yorgos's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Some voices here I respect a lot so bear with me but.. are those shelves really that bad? Seems like they could sound very nice indeed—a bit of a Pultec vibe with the suckout at muddy/resonant frequencies (100-150Hz/4-8K), bump in the subs/highs (40-80Hz/10-12K) and a slight tapering off into ULF/UHF. Yeah we expect a smoother-looking curve in mastering-type EQs, but I think this kind of 'flat top' shelf can be just as good in a different kind of way—if that's how it is in the original hardware anyway. If not of course, I'll get me coat..!
Jeezo suggested something clever further up the thread. He proposed to Softube to keep these shelves and replace the high and low cut filters (that already exist in the first section of C1) with smoother shelves.
Old 3rd June 2020
  #838
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyosha View Post
Thanks for your work Streaky, but I'd wish you paid a little bit more attention to when do you pick EQ1 versus other processors that you use, other more advanced things rather than some basic UI tutorial. This costs a lot so most users already know what they're paying for and know how to use EQ.

Still enjoy your videos and wish you to get paid next time :D.
To that point, advanced engineers will be less likely to rely on a review, so keeping the video basic makes sense to me as that's the larger audience.
Old 3rd June 2020
  #839
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaky View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't get paid...I've not even been given a discount :(

I've used and loved the Weiss gear all my life so this coming out was great and I think they've done a good job.


Sorry for showing my excitement :(

I'm pleased you enjoyed the review anyway!


Best
Streaky.
No offense intended man ! Maybe my post sounded a bit harsh. Thanks for taking the time to clear this out. I have to be honest and fairplay and retire my assumptions in this case.

According to your experience I still would expect some deeper and more "nerdy/techy" content...but hey to each his own I guess and I think it could help some young engineers.

All the best to you Streaky !
Old 3rd June 2020
  #840
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
Jeezo suggested something clever further up the thread. He proposed to Softube to keep these shelves and replace the high and low cut filters (that already exist in the first section of C1) with smoother shelves.
I suggested that too. I think that is perfectly doable especially if they act fast
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear