The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
waveTracing SP950 effect plugin: SP1200 & S950 combination
Old 4th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevizzles View Post
I've tried a ton of these bit sampler plugins and while I like TAL and Decimort they aren't as good as this
Those two advanced bitcrushers together will emulate most samplers quite well, but not the SP12/1200. I'm not so sure SP950 can emulate other samplers as well as Decimort and TAL-DAC can. I'd say get them all!
Old 5th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuz2019 View Post
Are we talking about the same drum breaks?
You are right, I did not check your link properly.
This sample bank looks much better than the one I tried.
Thanks!
Old 5th May 2020
Gear Head

This is spot on at some settings. Bravo!
Old 5th May 2020
Here for the gear

Bought. Nice sound nice plugin. Very easy for use.
Thank you.
Old 5th May 2020
Gear Maniac

I saw in a youtube comment you are planning on making aax available. Do you know that if your plugin will support the pro tools Control + Option + command automation shortcut?
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglion View Post
I saw in a youtube comment you are planning on making aax available. Do you know that if your plugin will support the pro tools Control + Option + command automation shortcut?
+1 for this!
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Congratulations on this Thomas. Great work. It's made me resurrect some audio files from this old thread:

What an E-MU SP-12 does to a Drum Break (w. Soundclips)

Where I ran the drum break 'Laying Eggs' by Paz through my SP-12 Turbo (alas sold it years back).

So here's a refresh comparing them to of your plug, which is great!

Break straight from Turntable to DAW:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/auy2dwpr2b...20DAW.wav?dl=0

Break pitched down in SP-12, same percentage as sampling at 45rpm and slowing down to 33 (output 7/8 on SP12, i.e no lpf):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jj9surommg...%2033.wav?dl=0

Break pitched down '-6' in SP950 plugin, no lpf engaged:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/23c71uxxty...S%206.wav?dl=0

Not bad! The SP12 is a bit more suave, doesn't grab onto the hats as much. The aliasing/ringing is slightly brighter on the plugin too. To match it closer I had to engage the plugin's lpf.
Old 5th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Thanks for posting this, the SP makes something unique with that snare
The result of the plugin is really nice though
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos_ View Post
That is pretty strange indeed.
If you manage to reproduce this can you please see if hitting the bypass button on the plugin interface does stop the noise?
It happened again. The plugin starts sending a really hot signal out and redlines. I cant hear the sound if the reverb is off. It must be something with ableton and VST3s. I cant figure it out.

Bypassing on the interface indeed stops the noise.
Old 6th May 2020
This is awesome. When is the MPC60 coming out?
Old 6th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglion View Post
Not sure what that implies yet as I have never worked with AAX, but I will try to address this.
Old 6th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by utters View Post
Congratulations on this Thomas. Great work. It's made me resurrect some audio files from this old thread:

What an E-MU SP-12 does to a Drum Break (w. Soundclips)

Where I ran the drum break 'Laying Eggs' by Paz through my SP-12 Turbo (alas sold it years back).

So here's a refresh comparing them to of your plug, which is great!

Break straight from Turntable to DAW:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/auy2dwpr2b...20DAW.wav?dl=0

Break pitched down in SP-12, same percentage as sampling at 45rpm and slowing down to 33 (output 7/8 on SP12, i.e no lpf):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jj9surommg...%2033.wav?dl=0

Break pitched down '-6' in SP950 plugin, no lpf engaged:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/23c71uxxty...S%206.wav?dl=0

Not bad! The SP12 is a bit more suave, doesn't grab onto the hats as much. The aliasing/ringing is slightly brighter on the plugin too. To match it closer I had to engage the plugin's lpf.
Thanks for the comparison!
Have you tried to compare your SP12 with a SP1200.
I will probably add several response profiles to address the requests I have received so far.
Have you tried the -5 setting? This should be the one to use here.
Old 6th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
This is awesome. When is the MPC60 coming out?
December 08, 1988

thanks
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

MPC 60 and S950 are the same thing.
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

I haven’t no. I can’t believe how much sp1200s are selling for nowadays

If I could add one suggestion it would be for a mix knob. Sometimes the artifacts are a touch too loud so would be nice to be able to dial it down

Quote:
Thanks for the comparison!
Have you tried to compare your SP12 with a SP1200.
I will probably add several response profiles to address the requests I have received so far.
Have you tried the -5 setting? This should be the one to use here.
Old 6th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by utters View Post
If I could add one suggestion it would be for a mix knob. Sometimes the artifacts are a touch too loud so would be nice to be able to dial it down
Yes, that is on the todo list.
This is needed because the wet signal will not sum properly with the dry one when mixed with a wet/dry knob in a DAW, due to phase shifts (as well as pure delay).
Old 6th May 2020
Gear Addict

This plugin is one of this missing link plugins.
Old 8th May 2020
Here for the gear

I want input/output knobs because I like clipped sound when over-input.
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltonsister View Post
I want input/output knobs because I like clipped sound when over-input.
But i believe this plugin is only focused on replicating the pitch algorithm of the SP1200 (which is already a fantastic idea) , not its analog signal path.
So overcharging input and output of the plug would only clip your DAW output level , with terrible results .
Please keep also in mind that the input stage of the original SP was not particularly pleasing and musical when pushed .

Now if the dev wants to work on emulating the analog behavior of the machine in the future , that could make this plugin even more exciting , that's for sure !
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js.theracon View Post
But i believe this plugin is only focused on replicating the pitch algorithm of the SP1200 (which is already a fantastic idea) , not its analog signal path.
So overcharging input and output of the plug would only clip your DAW output level , with terrible results .
Please keep also in mind that the input stage of the original SP was not particularly pleasing and musical when pushed .

Now if the dev wants to work on emulating the analog behavior of the machine in the future , that could make this plugin even more exciting , that's for sure !
So maybe using TAL DAC might work? I don’t remember off hand, but TAL Sampler has ADC and DAC for the Emu emulation fo DAC might have it too?
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Nut

I will add in/out gain knobs in a coming update. The input gain will let you clip the ADC.

Tomorrow I will release the 1.0.1 version with no functional change but some bug corrections (thanks Methlab!) and Catalina support.
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I will add in/out gain knobs in a coming update. The input gain will let you clip the ADC.

Tomorrow I will release the 1.0.1 version with no functional change but some bug corrections (thanks Methlab!) and Catalina support.
Oh , you've also modeled the ADC ! great .
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Bought.
Old 9th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js.theracon View Post
Oh , you've also modeled the ADC ! great .
Yes, what is missing right now is the analog input stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan View Post
Bought.
thanks
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Several days in

No sign of the Honeymoon being over
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Purchased.
Impressed.
Recommend.

Just playing around. If you want to tame some of the digital crunch, I suggest Kush Omega N (between the SP950 and the Omega N, you will definitely have a warmer sound - so don't expect crisp highs with that combo!). I'll have to try some other "warming" plugins, as well. Kush TWK just barely tames/warms it, but does other nice things instead. Black Box HG2 can warm it up or kill you with crispy.
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

I bought this yesterday.

I have used hardware sp1200s and Akais before, but that was a very long time ago, and I don't have any of that hardware on hand right now to make a direct comparison with, but I'm liking this. It's easy to use. It gives that sp1200 crunchiness to sounds and you can go from mild to extreme.

I have a few different bit crushers, but they're not the same thing as this.

I find that sounds and presets sometimes sound too good these days. The fidelity is too high and everything sounds nice, clean and glossy. Sometimes it's nice to throw a bit of dirt and mud and digital artifacts on certain sounds, as that can give them more character and vibe.

A lot of the old songs that I like from back in the day were made using samplers and gear that was pretty lo-fi compared to today's gear, and those old records sound great, and they still do.

I look forward to seeing the various updates to this plugin that were mentioned above. Good job.
Old 10th May 2020
Gear Addict

This thing is amazing for the thing that it does, and it's also very nice price
Old 11th May 2020
Lives for gear

It needs two true bypass buttons.

First to fully bypass bit cruncher.
Second to fully bypass LPF

Afterwards, output should be bit identical to input.
Old 11th May 2020
Lives for gear

https://youtu.be/1RPA9qx_l60

Match it with this and have fun

Last edited by trevon; 11th May 2020 at 08:22 PM..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear