The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
waveTracing SP950 effect plugin: SP1200 & S950 combination
Old 1st May 2020
  #31
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
I use the 950 but this to me is better. The filter is off the chain and you can do more with the sound. Really good timing as I was about to mix with a track with r950s all over it.
Sounds promising. I checked out the web version a while ago. I might pick this one up sometime soon!
Old 1st May 2020
  #32
Gear Nut
 
pos_'s Avatar
I have had a few reports of incompatibility with MacOS 10.15 Catalina.
Seems to work for most users though.

I am working on it, but in the meantime if you are running Catalina and have compatibility issues please contact me.

Also, if you had incompatibility problems in Catalina but managed to overcome them, I would love to hear how you did it.
Old 1st May 2020
  #33
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos_ View Post
Not in the immediate future I am afraid.
In the meantime you can check the controls and sound on the youtube demo video, and also try on your own samples with the online web app: https://wavetracing.com/products/sp950web
(use the speed-up functionality together with the tune slider in order to get the same behavior as the real time plugin, eg x1.3 and -5 semitons, or x2 and -12 semitons)
+1 for bypass SP and using filter solo.

-----------------


The FINE and EXT buttons are a bit quirky. Other VSTs would offer FINE by holding the shift key down and moving the slider. Thus you don't need a FINE button.

I personally think it should be in EXT mode all the time. However... if we must have EXT toggle - maybe you should improve it...

Follow these steps: turn on EXT and set the slider to a large value... then turn off EXT and you'll see the value jump. Then click EXT on again and the previous value (before it jumped) is forgotten - which is annoying.

To improve this... simply remember the last EXT value and if the slider hasn't been moved when in NON-EXT mode then set it to that value when EXT is switched back on.

I hope that makes sense. It's such a simple change and would make a huge difference in usage. The reason for this is that I experiment a lot with my sounds and try various options... and forgetting my EXT value is plain annoying.

ANYWAY... THUMBS UP. BOUGHT IT. USING IT. LOVING IT.
Old 1st May 2020
  #34
Gear Nut
 
pos_'s Avatar
Thanks for the feedback, I will think about all this when reworking the controls in future updates
In the meantime you can leave the ext button on all the time as you suggested.

The reason for the "non ext" mode is because this is the original maximum tune range of the SP1200.
Old 1st May 2020
  #35
Lives for gear
 

I wanted to chime in to say:

THIS IS A VERY BIG DEAL

This is what we’ve asked for from this dev and many others.

It’s significantly better sounding and laughably cheap.

For those that want a demo, simply use the free webapp in Chrome.

The quest is over.

Thank you!!!!!

And

Thank you!!!!
Old 1st May 2020
  #36
Here for the gear
 
JBmBeatz's Avatar
Nice plugin. Thanks pos_
Old 2nd May 2020
  #37
Gear Head
Congrats on the release!

Definitely want to purchase, but PayPal seems to be deactivated at the moment?
For various reasons, Spire/Credit Card is not an option at the moment.
Would very much appreciate if the PayPal-option could be activated

All the best,
L
Old 2nd May 2020
  #38
Gear Nut
 
pos_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
This is what we’ve asked for from this dev and many others.
Thanks David.
You know you did put a lot of pressure on me on that one
Old 2nd May 2020
  #39
Gear Nut
 
pos_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
Congrats on the release!

Definitely want to purchase, but PayPal seems to be deactivated at the moment?
For various reasons, Spire/Credit Card is not an option at the moment.
Would very much appreciate if the PayPal-option could be activated

All the best,
L
Yes sorry, I had to deactivate it yesterday because there were a lot of slowdowns with some people having to wait one hour or more before the payment went through and they could get their download link.

I turned it back on for now, let's hope it is back to normal.
Old 2nd May 2020
  #40
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos_ View Post
Yes sorry, I had to deactivate it yesterday because there were a lot of slowdowns with some people having to wait one hour or more before the payment went through and they could get their download link.

I turned it back on for now, let's hope it is back to normal.
Thank you so much! Just purchased, the whole transaction took ≈ 1 minute; hopefully this applies to others as well, as SP950 is just great in every way.

FWIW I think the way you handle customer interactions is outstanding (both during the beta and now here). Hope tons of people buy this.

Peace to all, I'm off crushing drums
Old 2nd May 2020
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos_ View Post
Thanks David.
You know you did put a lot of pressure on me on that one
Well, I personally spent hours going through old sessions and replacing previous tools with this one and was delighted with the results.

I’m one of those people that actually would speed up audio in my daw, resample, slow back down and then bit crush.

Not only does this sound better (more alive?), but it saves a ton of time!!

For those of us that started in the 90s it is a “cake and eat it too” kind of plugin. For those who listen back, and wonder how to get that little bit of “fairy dust” this will get you the closet of anything I’ve found (and I really think I’ve used all of them...).

I still have hardware: Triton Classic, SP404, MPC... but I also have three kids, limited space and a full time job. The practicality of my laptop has won out more and more. But my aesthetic preferences still craved *this* sound.

Let’s all expect someone to say “yeah but...” and mention something that the original can do better. That’s just how the world of emulation works. But for the *first* time I personally here a sound that truly satisfies me AND surpasses the original in many ways by integrating into a daw with all the perks that brings (edits, fades, track counts, delay/verb, sample time, recall, etc...).

^^adding this to justify my enthusiasm and hopefully intrigue others who are looking to take the plunge. (Again, in our Covid-influenced world I understand money is tight, but this should be at least 2x the price, and I would have paid at least 5x...).

I also noticed one of the more prominent YouTubers was already featuring it in the thumbnail. Normally that indicates that it will spread and get the attention it deserves.

I truly hope this becomes a success for you in every aspect of the word!
Old 2nd May 2020
  #42
Gear Addict
 

I totally agree with David Ray.

This is an absolutely amazing plugin for capturing some of the 90s texture and sheen.
Old 2nd May 2020
  #43
Lives for gear
 

So it looks like you change the “pitch”, but the pitch doesn’t actually change, instead you just get the artifacts? The sound of the pitch change was part of the charm of the old samplers, can someone explain why the pitch change artifacts without the actual pitch change is desirable? Or am I misunderstanding the video?
Old 2nd May 2020
  #44
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
POS..Are you gonna make Paypal active again?
Old 3rd May 2020
  #45
Lives for gear
 
streetbeats's Avatar
 

Bought. This is super!
Old 3rd May 2020
  #46
Lives for gear
 
streetbeats's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
So it looks like you change the “pitch”, but the pitch doesn’t actually change, instead you just get the artifacts? The sound of the pitch change was part of the charm of the old samplers, can someone explain why the pitch change artifacts without the actual pitch change is desirable? Or am I misunderstanding the video?
The second post in the thread summarises it well:

Quote:
If you are familiar with the E-mu SP-1200* workflow, you know the way the device is typically used is with a pitched-up source such as a turntable playing a LP record at 45RPM or 78RPM, and a detune after sampling in the SP-1200* to get back to the original pitch and duration. This was initially done to save sampling time, but the resulting artifacts soon became the signature of the device, and of whole musical trend.
This plugin isn’t meant to be a sampler, you’ll be typically running running your sounds through it that are already at the desired pitch.

Last edited by streetbeats; 3rd May 2020 at 02:21 PM..
Old 3rd May 2020
  #47
Lives for gear
Very very nice that you also made this plugin beside the webapp!
Congrats on that

I also really like your website.Clean, no trash, just the information a customer need to know. And the way you provide the plugin is exactly how it should be done IMO. Packed in a zipfile, no installer.....perfect.

Fair pricing too. (unfortunatly I'm into financial problems so I can't spend any money on musi stuff)

At last the research of Yeh,Nolting and Smith found a way in the plugin world I found this years ago and was very impressed by the sound demos. Always wondered why noone with expertise made a plugin. Now it's here. Thank you.

BTW they used an SP12 as reference. Does that mean your plugin is more an emulation of the SP12 sound? The samplerate of the 12 is slightly different and as far as I understand, this should make a difference when a sample gets pitched.


Someone asked in this thread about the ability to actually pitch the audio in your plugin. That doesn't make sense and as long as the plugin is not fitted with a time machine it's impossible
The way I would use it is not on an audiotrack but on an instrument track behind a sampleplayer. Thats the place where samples played back in different pitches.
That brings me to an idea for future devlopment of your plugin: What about a midi implementation? MIDI note on messages could control the tune parameter in the SP950. That way the pitch of a sample in the sampleplayer and the tune parameter in the SP950 would be synced.
It would also allow to implement a filter envelope (emulation of the output 1&2 of the SP which is as far as I know an envelope that close the filter to ca 450Hz in 0.5sec) that is triggered by a MIDI note. Ok, this triggering could also be realized with the audio signal itself.

just some ideas

Again: You did a great job.

peace
Old 3rd May 2020
  #48
Gear Nut
 
pos_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
POS..Are you gonna make Paypal active again?
It is active again, for the time being.
Sorry for going back and forth on this.
Old 3rd May 2020
  #49
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos_ View Post
It is active again, for the time being.
Sorry for going back and forth on this.
Thanks. Just purchased.
Old 3rd May 2020
  #50
Gear Nut
 
pos_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
Very very nice that you also made this plugin beside the webapp!
Congrats on that

I also really like your website.Clean, no trash, just the information a customer need to know. And the way you provide the plugin is exactly how it should be done IMO. Packed in a zipfile, no installer.....perfect.

Fair pricing too. (unfortunatly I'm into financial problems so I can't spend any money on musi stuff)

At last the research of Yeh,Nolting and Smith found a way in the plugin world I found this years ago and was very impressed by the sound demos. Always wondered why noone with expertise made a plugin. Now it's here. Thank you.

BTW they used an SP12 as reference. Does that mean your plugin is more an emulation of the SP12 sound? The samplerate of the 12 is slightly different and as far as I understand, this should make a difference when a sample gets pitched.


Someone asked in this thread about the ability to actually pitch the audio in your plugin. That doesn't make sense and as long as the plugin is not fitted with a time machine it's impossible
The way I would use it is not on an audiotrack but on an instrument track behind a sampleplayer. Thats the place where samples played back in different pitches.
That brings me to an idea for future devlopment of your plugin: What about a midi implementation? MIDI note on messages could control the tune parameter in the SP950. That way the pitch of a sample in the sampleplayer and the tune parameter in the SP950 would be synced.
It would also allow to implement a filter envelope (emulation of the output 1&2 of the SP which is as far as I know an envelope that close the filter to ca 450Hz in 0.5sec) that is triggered by a MIDI note. Ok, this triggering could also be realized with the audio signal itself.

just some ideas

Again: You did a great job.

peace
Thanks for the feedback and ideas!

The plugin is an emulation of the SP1200, but the SP12 actually uses the same sample rate with aliasing mirroring around 13kHz.

By the way I added the 27.5kHz sample rate as an option in the web app, just for the grins, so you can try and hear the difference.
Old 3rd May 2020
  #51
Lives for gear
Does anyone have the plugin just start making noise randomly? I though there was a small storm outside of my place because I heard wind, but I realized it was my studio. This plug was sending signal out for no real reason, as I had left a project open while I was taking a break.

I use ableton and Windows 10.
Old 3rd May 2020
  #52
Here for the gear
Hi,

how is the cpu usage of the plugin? And since there is no demo would it be possible to make a proper demo video? A video which is aimed to the buyer (e.g. classic 90s beat maker stuff). Thanks
Old 4th May 2020
  #53
Gear Nut
 
pos_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Does anyone have the plugin just start making noise randomly? I though there was a small storm outside of my place because I heard wind, but I realized it was my studio. This plug was sending signal out for no real reason, as I had left a project open while I was taking a break.

I use ableton and Windows 10.
That is pretty strange indeed.
If you manage to reproduce this can you please see if hitting the bypass button on the plugin interface does stop the noise?
Old 4th May 2020
  #54
Gear Nut
 
pos_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseresearch View Post
Hi,

how is the cpu usage of the plugin? And since there is no demo would it be possible to make a proper demo video? A video which is aimed to the buyer (e.g. classic 90s beat maker stuff). Thanks
Reaper indicates a CPU usage around 0.9% in mono on my fanless laptop with this CPU:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....10GHz&id=2664

Regarding the demo, I used some classic 90s sampling material (piano, violin, intros) but I did not manage to find good drum loops.
Any pointer to good loops to use?
Old 4th May 2020
  #55
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos_ View Post
Reaper indicates a CPU usage around 0.9% in mono on my fanless laptop with this CPU:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....10GHz&id=2664

Regarding the demo, I used some classic 90s sampling material (piano, violin, intros) but I did not manage to find good drum loops.
Any pointer to good loops to use?
Nice to hear that the CPU usage is that low. About a proper demo: I don't know if it would be a copyright infringement if you would simply use some classic 90s drum breaks and a well know sample. You don't need to copy a particular beat but it would be nice to catch the vibe properly. Unfortunately there is no demo and I'm always tight on money so I can not justify the 20 bucks atm. Otherwise I would like to make a proper demo for the community.

But I wait maybe another gearslut chimes in ....
Old 4th May 2020
  #56
Gear Maniac
 

Music Radar has these free drum breaks:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech...samples-522667

Some of the clean (unprocessed) ones are pretty nice and useful.
Old 4th May 2020
  #57
Gear Nut
 
pos_'s Avatar
That is what I used, but the hip-hop loops in there were not my cup of tea, so I made do with one of the jazz loops.
Old 4th May 2020
  #58
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos_ View Post
That is pretty strange indeed.
If you manage to reproduce this can you please see if hitting the bypass button on the plugin interface does stop the noise?
Sure. I’ll update. May be an ableton thing as vst3s are still not always stable on them.
Old 4th May 2020
  #59
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos_ View Post
That is what I used, but the hip-hop loops in there were not my cup of tea, so I made do with one of the jazz loops.
Are we talking about the same drum breaks? Here's one of those drum breaks sampled with various samplers at lower sample rates.
Attached Files

Lotuz Music Radar Drum Break Original 44.1 kHz S-330 15 kHz MS-1 LONG 2 SP-202 STANDARD DJX.wav (2.55 MB, 2183 views)

Old 4th May 2020
  #60
Here for the gear
This plugin actually rocks pretty hard

I've tried a ton of these bit sampler plugins and while I like TAL and Decimort they aren't as good as this

I'm just looking for character and style so this is perfect
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear