Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   TBProAudio releases DSEQ, a dynamic spectral equalizer for Windows and Mac OS X (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1306847-tbproaudio-releases-dseq-dynamic-spectral-equalizer-windows-mac-os-x.html)

TBProAudio 21st April 2020 05:33 PM

Update to 1.0.4:
- FIX: CPU spikes (show/hide GUI) reduced
- FIX: OSX GFX glitches

uarte 21st April 2020 05:53 PM

Thanks for the responsive service and quick updates! kfhkh rockout

TBProAudio 21st April 2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uarte (Post 14677846)
Thanks for the responsive service and quick updates! kfhkh rockout

:cool:

AreYouHuman 21st April 2020 06:51 PM

And it has no ilok or other annoying online activation when I'm not missing something. When the quality is near soothe I finally have an alternative without the restrictive copy protection hassle. I'm exited to test it. Pricing is really great too.

Greco87 21st April 2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

When the quality is near soothe
Well I'm A/B'ing them today... first impressions is that DSEQ sounds much better - AND/OR - can get to the desired effect much quicker... Which is great !
Still demoing but man o man, this is great !

trevon 21st April 2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greco87 (Post 14678048)
Well I'm A/B'ing them today... first impressions is that DSEQ sounds much better - AND/OR - can get to the desired effect much quicker... Which is great !
Still demoing but man o man, this is great !

I agree dseq sounds better and easier to get what I was looking for. The price is much cheaper. This is a must have for anybody mixing or mastering. I had some vocals I couldn't get to deharsh without sounding unnaturally balanced. I used analog, dynamic and static eqs still were harsh or boxy. Even tried sooth and it gave some artifacts that made it not sound natural. Thus worked perfect. Threw some tdr Nova deresonate on the vocals and woolah perfect n ready to move on.

dab0815 21st April 2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevon (Post 14678276)
I agree dseq sounds better and easier to get what I was looking for. The price is much cheaper. This is a must have for anybody mixing or mastering. I had some vocals I couldn't get to deharsh without sounding unnaturally balanced. I used analog, dynamic and static eqs still were harsh or boxy. Even tried sooth and it gave some artifacts that made it not sound natural. Thus worked perfect. Threw some tdr Nova deresonate on the vocals and woolah perfect n ready to move on.

So you saying dseq is better than soothe and a must have but it failed to fix the vocals when tdr nova did get the job done?

trevon 21st April 2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dab0815 (Post 14678389)
So you saying dseq is better than soothe and a must have but it failed to fix the vocals when tdr nova did get the job done?

If you read again, I said I tried everything including soothe but this worked perfect in deharshing and tdr nova helped in getting some resonances out of the vocal.

traumerei1838 21st April 2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast (Post 14675480)
This tool is phenomenal! I own Soothe, and SpectralDynamics (which is absolutely the most underrated tool in the audio universe) and DSEQ is definitely going to replace Soothe (I did not upgrade to v2). It is more intuitive, more adjustable, and the algo seems to be really fluid. At the moment, I’m not in a rush to buy anything, but as soon as the world will get back to any form of rational existence, this will be my first purchase. Bravo TBProaudio!

Thanks for the brief review amongst the 1,000 posts of feature requests. Can't wait to try this myself!!!

What kind of material did this plug excel at? Full mix vs solo tracks....

trevon 21st April 2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traumerei1838 (Post 14678404)
Thanks for the brief review amongst the 1,000 posts of feature requests. Can't wait to try this myself!!!

I tried it on vocals mainly and it instantly was a improvement. I did try it on a full mix but I think I already had the overall mix great to begin with. The vocals were recorded in a not so good room so there was lots of nasty frequencies and resonances. I tried soothe and I couldn't tell a huge difference unless I cranked it so hard that I got ugly artifacts. This will be one plugin I learn in and out

alibling 21st April 2020 11:19 PM

i tryed it and I really liked it. Its more heavy handed then soothe, so u have to be a little careful.
I would buy immediately, when I wouldn't own soothe 2. I still prefer soothe over DSEQ, because I like the work flow on soothe. But I bet when u get used to DSEQ its also great.

uarte 22nd April 2020 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traumerei1838 (Post 14678404)

I've been testing it successfully on:
  • a full mix correcting an old master I did many years ago that was a little dull and flat
  • another old master I did that was too harsh and brittle
  • a new master where I smoothed out some digital grittiness and added more clarity, made it sound much more expensive, lol
  • a full mix taming some vocal harshness that I couldn't solve before but I no longer had stems (long story)
  • individual mic tracks for post production on a film with different mics to smooth things out a bit - still have a lot to experiment here
  • a nasty vocal track with tricky de-essing problems I couldn't solve with other de-essers -- this was surprisingly useful for this specific case and resulted in a much more natural sound than any of the various de-essers I normally use
  • a tricky dialog track where the speaker had a lot of lisping, and I was able to control it much better than a normal dynamic eq or de-esser while retaining more transparency
  • individual piano track to get rid of unwanted annoying resonances -- I was able to "de-mud" the piano nicely on the low end, and clean up the piano on the high end, better than dynamic eqs
  • started experimenting with some sound design to creatively shape individual sounds in ways I haven't tried before -- DSEQ can be pushed relatively hard compared to the competition, so it's interesting to see what it does on more extreme settings with certain material

Have NOT tried it on drums (individual drum tracks or drum bus) yet, but looking forward to it. Probably will be great on toms or tricky snares IMO. Also not tried it on guitars yet, but I have a feeling it will probably help a lot with poorly mic'd guitars and/or with trouble resonances.

I think this will excel with anything with annoying resonating or harsh or overly digital problem areas. It's very easy to focus in on problem frequency areas with the pre-filter curve (which is frankly *super* flexible, maybe even overkill, lol -- I mean, it has 12 pre-filter bands), so you can leave other frequencies untouched and really focus on problems. It's also lovely at rebalancing and clarifying full mixes. I'm still learning of course, but it's very impressive. I also look forward to testing with M/S situations.

I think this is a fantastic complimentary tool to regular EQs, dynamic EQs and multiband compressors. This is, for me, a tool that lets me think a little differently about sound. It's like getting a whole new kind of flexible filter/dynamics processor to work with that can help with complex mixes all the way down to focusing on tiny problem areas.

As I mentioned in another post, the obvious competition is also a very good plugin that I respect a lot, and I don't want to say anything negative about it, but for me, I think DSEQ allows me to push further and shape things better for the kind of work I need to do. YMMV of course.

papaki23 22nd April 2020 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevon (Post 14678510)
I tried it on vocals mainly and it instantly was a improvement. I did try it on a full mix but I think I already had the overall mix great to begin with. The vocals were recorded in a not so good room so there was lots of nasty frequencies and resonances. I tried soothe and I couldn't tell a huge difference unless I cranked it so hard that I got ugly artifacts. This will be one plugin I learn in and out

Maybe compared with Gullfoss?

traumerei1838 22nd April 2020 02:12 AM

Just demo'd. Confirming this thing is awesome. Will be bought by the end of the week,

Full mix. 500 hz HPF at 24db crossover. 88 sensitivity. Ultra mode. I did not like the OS, even at 2x it loses depth (session already at 96k)

I wanted to do a Soothe style harshness removal and not touch the transients, so attack 10ms and release 50ms. Absolutely fantastic plugin. Smooth as silk

Oh and I much prefer the full mix harshness tactic in MS mode over stereo.

Very excited to use this more, and it takes no time at all to dial in.kfhkhkfhkhkfhkhkfhkh

trevon 22nd April 2020 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papaki23 (Post 14678899)
Maybe compared with Gullfoss?

I have gullfoss but I did not test it against that as their trying to do different things. I'll test it against it for kicks and giggles.

denork 22nd April 2020 08:05 AM

I tried it on vocals, synthesizers and masterbus, good results are obtained very quickly. I don't like to use this kind of tools, I don't have soothe or gullfoss, but considering the DSEQ price, I will most likely buy it.

TBProAudio 22nd April 2020 08:24 AM

Update to 1.0.5:
- FIX: Mix dry/wet (OS) improved

b0se 22nd April 2020 08:53 AM

This looks promising!

@ TBProAudio - even with low sensitivity, I'm seeing sharp dips pop in/out - does this look like normal/expected behaviour?

https://cl.ly/86fec9cbcf19/Screen%20...08.50%20am.gif

I've exaggerated the threshold as to make it more obvious, but it also happens at any level.

Example is from a male vocal. Mac 10.11, Reaper. AU/VST3.

The-Zeronaut 22nd April 2020 09:03 AM

May I ask for some context or more detail explanation about this and its use?
"support of pink noise mixing/mastering"

dab0815 22nd April 2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevon (Post 14678396)
If you read again, I said I tried everything including soothe but this worked perfect in deharshing and tdr nova helped in getting some resonances out of the vocal.

Ok got it now. Maybe if you had written "dseq worked perfectly. Plus adding tdr nova.." it would have been clearer what you meant.
But nevermind..

papaki23 22nd April 2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevon (Post 14679026)
I have gullfoss but I did not test it against that as their trying to do different things. I'll test it against it for kicks and giggles.

What exactly Gullfoss trying to do and what Soothe?

TBProAudio 22nd April 2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0se (Post 14679384)
This looks promising!

@ TBProAudio - even with low sensitivity, I'm seeing sharp dips pop in/out - does this look like normal/expected behaviour?

https://cl.ly/86fec9cbcf19/Screen%20...08.50%20am.gif

I've exaggerated the threshold as to make it more obvious, but it also happens at any level.

Example is from a male vocal. Mac 10.11, Reaper. AU/VST3.

Well yes, as the spectrum view (based on FFT) is just a visual approximation.
It is brute force input spectrum minus output spectrum. So if there is a sharp dip in the curve it does not say that the GR curve (sensitivity) is not smooth. It says that there is no impact of DSEQ on this specific frequency.

I hope this makes it more clear.

TBProAudio 22nd April 2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut (Post 14679393)
May I ask for some context or more detail explanation about this and its use?
"support of pink noise mixing/mastering"

Yes, DSEQ supports it with the slope parameter:

There are thousands of dynamic EQs, one for each frequency. Each dEQ uses the same threshold (parameter threshold).

Slope 0dB: Now if you lower the threshold lower frequencies would get earlier into the focus of the dEQ array, highs later. So using more threshold will kill the lows.
Slope +3/4.5 dB: now depending what you are playing lows and highs should be processed equally. You can see this while watching the spectrum view.

Usually we mix and master along pink noise (-3dB) or brown noise (-4.5) spectrum curve. Take any song or dialog, insert SPAN from Voxengo. Look at the spectrum curve: it falls from left to right. Hard to judge where you should set the EQ.
Set slope (SPAN) to +3dB: now it looks more balanced from left to right. And it is much easier to set your EQs etc.

Maybe this is a better explanation

So back to DSEQ: setting the slope to +3 or +4.5dB and pulling threshold gives you an instant and nicely sounding effect. No fiddling with pre-filters, no search for disturbing frequencies. Just play with the threshold!

b0se 22nd April 2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBProAudio (Post 14679449)
Well yes, as the spectrum view (based on FFT) is just a visual approximation.
It is brute force input spectrum minus output spectrum. So if there is a sharp dip in the curve it does not say that the GR curve (sensitivity) is not smooth. It says that there is no impact of DSEQ on this specific frequency.

I hope this makes it more clear.

Ah I see, thanks. Looking forward to testing it properly later today!

denork 22nd April 2020 11:50 AM

I finally had to buy!

Waiting for my license, I hope it doesn't take long.

no genre 22nd April 2020 11:52 AM

Also waiting for my license key. :)

TBProAudio 22nd April 2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no genre (Post 14679594)
Also waiting for my license key. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by denork (Post 14679589)
I finally had to buy!

Waiting for my license, I hope it doesn't take long.

just send us an email if it takes too long;)

denork 22nd April 2020 12:05 PM

recived!

b0se 22nd April 2020 12:11 PM

I just 'cheated' on a male vocal, using only these automated plugins, in this order:

1) TDR Nova GE (Smart Operation: Static Deresonate)

2) Sonible Balancer (Bright mode)

3) DSEQ (default settings, with a push at 7K to deess)

It sounds great! How lucky we are in 2020 with these sorts of plugins.

It feels like having a skilled assistant prepare a track for you for quick/easy mixing. All it needs is a few manual tweaks to be perfect.

The thing that surprised me the most is how well DSEQ dynamically balanced the vocal. There's a phrase in the vocal that has extra low boom and stands out to the ear, which was handled so well (reduced) by DSEQ it now sounds like a great mic performance by the singer. Less compression is needed, keeping it more natural sounding.

Edit: will compare to Soothe later!

no genre 22nd April 2020 12:19 PM

Email sent. :)