Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   TBProAudio releases DSEQ, a dynamic spectral equalizer for Windows and Mac OS X (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1306847-tbproaudio-releases-dseq-dynamic-spectral-equalizer-windows-mac-os-x.html)

sokoleski 27th June 2020 03:11 PM

I've testing this for a while now and really like what i does. It can be subtle or not so subtle, but rarely sounds bad. An exxelent precision instrument.

Does anyone know how it compares to Sonibles Smart:Comp , from what i gather you can achieve similar results!?!

Or are they to different animals to compare. yingyang

stripealipe 27th June 2020 08:29 PM

Different beasts entirely tbh, but, download the Sonible demo and see for yourself. Smart:comp is cool, but very much a straight up transparent compressor with the optional spectral part and some AI thrown in.

sokoleski 27th June 2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripealipe (Post 14825495)
Different beasts entirely tbh, but, download the Sonible demo and see for yourself. Smart:comp is cool, but very much a straight up transparent compressor with the optional spectral part and some AI thrown in.

Aha, i see... thanks for reply

Dowloading the demo now. hooppie

I assume, you use them for different task's or do they overlap?

stripealipe 27th June 2020 08:47 PM

So i've only been using the demo of DSEQ for now, as i also own Melda MSpectralDynamics which is quite similar, or indeed i can get similar results.

But yeah, i use smart:comp quite a bit if i want nice typical side-chain pumping style compression effects as it's very smooth for this. But i very much enjoy how easy DSEQ is to dial in and control harshness, and i think i'm gonna buy it soon enough, especially seeing as how the dev listens and improves on his code.
It works great as a flattening style dynamic processor too and as such works great on smoothing and bringing out detail on individual tracks or complete mixes or busses.

dan98 29th June 2020 12:40 PM

I have a concern with my DAW (Sequoia12).
Very large sessions with 100s of objects and fully loaded with VSTs including Soothe/Waves/DMG etc, are never more than 1.5MB in size.
However since starting to use DSEQ the project size has exploded to more than 20MB.

Also when these sessions are open they take many GBs of RAM, whereas before would be well under 1GB.
There is some problem here which I'll need to solve if I can continue using the plugin.

TBProAudio 29th June 2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan98 (Post 14828186)
Very large sessions with 100s of objects and fully loaded with VSTs including Soothe/Waves/DMG etc, are never more than 1.5MB in size.
However since starting to use DSEQ the project size has exploded to more than 20MB.

Also when these sessions are open they take many GBs of RAM, whereas before would be well under 1GB.
There is some problem here which I'll need to solve if I can continue using the plugin.

Thank you for this.
How many DSEQ instances do you have?

dan98 29th June 2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBProAudio (Post 14828334)
Thank you for this.
How many DSEQ instances do you have?

In the current session there are 82 instances - session size=25MB, RAM=8GB.

If I replace all DSEQ with Soothe2 - session size=1.3MB, RAM=1GB

TBProAudio 30th June 2020 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan98 (Post 14828399)
In the current session there are 82 instances - session size=25MB, RAM=8GB.

If I replace all DSEQ with Soothe2 - session size=1.3MB, RAM=1GB

We recently measured the following in Reaper 6.11, x64:

- session data per DSEQ instance: 18 kB (mainly custom threshold data)
- RAM per DSEQ instance: 40 MB (mainly GUI stuff)
(RAM per Soothe2 instance: 30 MB)

A quick calculation shows that there is a difference ...

dan98 30th June 2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBProAudio (Post 14829972)
We recently measured the following in Reaper 6.11, x64:

- session data per DSEQ instance: 18 kB (mainly custom threshold data)
- RAM per DSEQ instance: 40 MB (mainly GUI stuff)
(RAM per Soothe2 instance: 30 MB)

A quick calculation shows that there is a difference ...

I've made a test - in my DAW, each DSEQ instance is adding 250KB to the sessison size, and 48MB to the RAM.

Somehow it's using 14x more session data in my DAW than in your Reaper.
(Soothe is only adding about 4KB per instance)

TBProAudio 30th June 2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan98 (Post 14830146)
I've made a test - in my DAW, each DSEQ instance is adding 250KB to the sessison size, and 48MB to the RAM.

Somehow it's using 14x more session data in my DAW than in your Reaper.
(Soothe is only adding about 4KB per instance)

Thank you.
OK, 48 MB RAM sounds reasonable, so 82 instances should give around 4Gig RAm and not 8Gig.

The session data size needs more investigating, as Reaper also creates a 4 MB file with 10 DSEQ instances (400k per instance), which does not match what DSEQ saves directly in the DAW.

Belka 30th June 2020 04:58 PM

So one have to load the Mono and the normal DSEQ VST i guess?

TBProAudio 30th June 2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belka (Post 14830758)
So one have to load the Mono and the normal DSEQ VST i guess?

Yes, Mono is for mono tracks, normal for stereo tracks kfhkh

uarte 30th June 2020 07:10 PM

Thank you guys for looking into the session size issue. As we all use DSEQ more and more (and how can we resist?), it could make a difference. 82 instances of DSEQ though!?!?!?! That's awesome. I haven't come close to that with DSEQ, but I do have sessions with 200+ tracks and I use a variety of plugins on many of them, but I've only been using DSEQ mainly on a handful of selected tracks, buses, and for mastering. Very cool that it's already part of someone's 82 instance workflow, though! I guess I should check out my other TBProAudio plugins for their session size too... I think I have some sessions with lots of CS-5501 and dEQ6 instances. (BTW, all of TBPA's other plugins rock too, although DSEQ is particularly special as everyone here knows.)

sokoleski 30th June 2020 08:28 PM

In the latest update there is a 'automatic calculation of slope parameter' that i've been trying to wrap my head around,
does anyhow care to elaborate on how it works and how to apply it..!?

Thanks in advance :)

1.6.0:
- NEW: automatic calculation of slope parameter (from current slope value and optional custom threshold)

E-Irizarry 30th June 2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uarte (Post 14673066)
Superb plugin.....

This plugin really is bae!!!! It slaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uarte (Post 14673066)
We live in an amazing time with so many great products out there

Yes indeed when it comes to TB Pro Audio, my favorite plugins by them are the following:
-- Impress (what a character of a transparent track bus compressor...perfect moniker for the plugin I like it more than Kotelnikov compressor but for master bus, I use Pulsar Mu which glues it nicely all together
-- FinalLoud 2 -- "ridiculous" -- gets the LUFS/RMS pro settings of loudness correct every time with minimal deviation of error
-- DSEQ - which some think it means "De-Esser EQ" but that's what it does actually lol...although it stands for Dynamic Spectral EQ

When it comes to other developers:
-- Verbum Entropic Hall -- the plugin that makes your music sound "stiff" and like "vocal doesn't mix with the reverb of the track" to sounding like a studio vault sounding master, don't do 100 percent wet!!! It's extremely detailed for a reverb so 15-25 percent wet should do it for any setting. The only plugin that rivals it is iZotope Ozone (the Reverb module), but VEH is slightly better!!!!
-- God Mode -- by Denise Audio -- sick just sick...the configuration for distortion is so controlled that it's not even funny
-- Gullfoss -- by SoundTheory -- the flagship of "taking the muffed blanket off of the speakers" plugin -- it's just whoa whoa whoa
-- FireMaster & FireCobra -- I get studio master sounding pristine quality out of these plugins - nobody has the right to denounce these two here!!! And definitely not the former!! (i.e. Gulfoss)!!!
-- RaisingJake SideMinder Mastering Edt -- sick just sick -- I love how controlled you can stereo image something without going out of phase
(but LeapWing StageOne has slight more control but hey as the ol' adage goes: "pick your poison")
-- A.O.M Invisible Limiter Gen2 slaps too!!

With a good audio interface and you're rockin' nowadays. It's no wonder studios in Manhattan had gone out of business in the last 10 - 15 years!!!!
When I first came onto this forum, I remember the outboard gear haters on here e.g.
"Oh plugins will never outperform hardware" blah-blah-blahzay blah blah blah
They are quiet now and nowhere to be heard and/or seen from!!!
ablian
)

Saturatio 1st July 2020 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Irizarry (Post 14831353)
This plugin really is bae!!!! It slaps.

Yes indeed when it comes to TB Pro Audio, my favorite plugins by them are the following:
-- Impress (what a character of a transparent track bus compressor...perfect moniker for the plugin I like it more than Kotelnikov compressor but for master bus, I use Pulsar Mu which glues it nicely all together
-- FinalLoud 2 -- "ridiculous" -- gets the LUFS/RMS pro settings of loudness correct every time with minimal deviation of error
-- DSEQ - which some think it means "De-Esser EQ" but that's what it does actually lol...although it stands for Dynamic Spectral EQ

When it comes to other developers:
-- Verbum Entropic Hall -- the plugin that makes your music sound "stiff" and like "vocal doesn't mix with the reverb of the track" to sounding like a studio vault sounding master, don't do 100 percent wet!!! It's extremely detailed for a reverb so 15-25 percent wet should do it for any setting. The only plugin that rivals it is iZotope Ozone (the Reverb module), but VEH is slightly better!!!!
-- God Mode -- by Denise Audio -- sick just sick...the configuration for distortion is so controlled that it's not even funny
-- Gullfoss -- by SoundTheory -- the flagship of "taking the muffed blanket off of the speakers" plugin -- it's just whoa whoa whoa
-- FireMaster & FireCobra -- I get studio master sounding pristine quality out of these plugins - nobody has the right to denounce these two here!!! And definitely not the former!! (i.e. Gulfoss)!!!
-- RaisingJake SideMinder Mastering Edt -- sick just sick -- I love how controlled you can stereo image something without going out of phase
(but LeapWing StageOne has slight more control but hey as the ol' adage goes: "pick your poison")
-- A.O.M Invisible Limiter Gen2 slaps too!!

With a good audio interface and you're rockin' nowadays. It's no wonder studios in Manhattan had gone out of business in the last 10 - 15 years!!!!
When I first came onto this forum, I remember the outboard gear haters on here e.g.
"Oh plugins will never outperform hardware" blah-blah-blahzay blah blah blah
They are quiet now and nowhere to be heard and/or seen from!!!
ablian
)

Haha. I’m right here. My hardware isn’t going anywhere. I love my plugins and they’ve come so far. Plugs likes DSEQ and others are 100% indispensable. But let’s not start saying ridiculous things reckless things. Hardware is dope when you find the right pieces for you. They also tend to sound like hardware; whereas really dope plugins that I use all the time (for the most part); tend to sound like really dope plugins that I use all time. Hypebeasting isn’t much my style!

E-Irizarry 1st July 2020 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturatio (Post 14831740)
Haha. I’m right here. My hardware isn’t going anywhere. I love my plugins and they’ve come so far. Plugs likes DSEQ and others are 100% indispensable. But let’s not start saying ridiculous things reckless things. Hardware is dope when you find the right pieces for you. They also tend to sound like hardware; whereas really dope plugins that I use all the time (for the most part); tend to sound like really dope plugins that I use all time. Hypebeasting isn’t much my style!

It's not reckless what I say. It's opinionated, not necessarily factual. Therefore, your emotions, supposed as a man, shouldn't matter what I say. I'm originally from the patriarchal era of NY..pre-social justice, I was raised with both parents so my father taught me how to be a man and one of them is standing firm in one's statement. No need to social police me. That's why DJ Trump is liked by people of my ilk; because he's masculine and no, non-sense. He and I are both old-school native NY'ers.

Now I will finally acquiesce: I love using the RME ADI-2 64/768 audio interface. It slaps! The most pristine ever crystal DAAD converters ever!

Thank you for replying, carry on and enjoy GS like I will!

Saturatio 1st July 2020 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Irizarry (Post 14831755)
It's not reckless what I say. It's opinionated, not necessarily factual. Therefore, your emotions, supposed as a man, shouldn't matter what I say. I'm originally from the patriarchal era of NY..pre-social justice, I was raised with both parents so my father taught me how to be a man and one of them is standing firm in one's statement. No need to social police me. That's why DJ Trump is liked by people of my ilk; because he's masculine and no, non-sense. He and I are both old-school native NY'ers.

Now I will finally acquiesce: I love using the RME ADI-2 64/768 audio interface. It slaps! The most pristine ever crystal DAAD converters ever!

Thank you for replying, carry on and enjoy GS like I will!

Haha okay! Do you. Wasn’t trying to police you just sharing my opinion like everyone else here. Hope you were joking about Trump... (That dude sucks so harrrrrrrd). Anyway I won’t comment on any of your posts anymore. Sorry if I offended you. Enjoy your summer!

E-Irizarry 1st July 2020 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturatio (Post 14831786)
Haha okay! Do you. Wasn’t trying to police you just sharing my opinion like everyone else here. Hope you were joking about Trump... (That dude sucks so harrrrrrrd). Anyway I won’t comment on any of your posts anymore. Sorry if I offended you. Enjoy your summer!

I'm not joking actually, but this is a gear forum, not a political one so out of respect for this forum, I shall absolve myself from expounding on politics.

I did say "thank you for replying". It's always welcomed; I will just speak my mind as I see fit. Thank you for clarifying that you weren't trying to police me. I appreciate your candor.

TBProAudio 1st July 2020 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uarte (Post 14831029)
... Thank you guys for looking into the session size issue.

We will do :)

profvonsok 3rd July 2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elanore Sawinski (Post 14836425)
One of the best mix engineers in the world worked on one the song "Lonely after all" by Atona Rain. I saw that he used Maag EQ4(man,it is my favorite equalizer too).Nevertheless, Brainworx V3 and the Dangerous music BAX EQ were on the master bus. I wish I could see the whole vocal chain.

Apparently you enjoy spamming this in various unrelated threads. It has no relevance here either.

TBProAudio 4th July 2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBProAudio (Post 14831976)
We will do :)

We analysed the session data topic:
1) At least Reaper converts internally the session data to get platform compatibility (WIN/OSX). This could increase the session data by factor 20 (at least for DSEQ).
2) DSEQ uses a special session data format to ensure the parameter backward and forward compatibility (factor 10).

dan98 4th July 2020 11:53 AM

Do you think you’ll be able to fix this? I haven’t experienced it with any other plugins and realistically couldn’t continue to use more than a few instances.

TBProAudio 4th July 2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan98 (Post 14838234)
Do you think you’ll be able to fix this? I haven’t experienced it with any other plugins and realistically couldn’t continue to use more than a few instances.

Hmm, we don't think that there is anything "broken" ;)

We cannot do much regarding fact 1).
2) As we want to keep backward/forward compatibility we need to see if we could implement some kind of lossless data compression.

We need to think more about it kfhkh

TBProAudio 5th July 2020 11:01 AM

Update to V1.6.1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan98 (Post 14828186)

V1.6.1: FIX: session data size reduced

In deed there was bug which caused DSEQ to store more data in the DAW session than necessary. We reduced session size by factor 20, just a matter of right configuration ;)

Thank you for pointing this out kfhkh

denork 5th July 2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBProAudio (Post 14839755)

In deed there was bug which caused DSEQ to store more data in the DAW session than necessary. We reduced session size by factor 20, just a matter of right configuration ;)

I'm still amazed at how quickly you apply improvements and fixes, just out of curiosity, how many programmers does TBPro Audio have?

JfromRVA 5th July 2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

The most responsive developer I've encountered on GS. DSEQ deserves to be plugin of the year. Now we need developer of the year award for actually listening to the users!

no genre 5th July 2020 02:25 PM

Yep. TB Pro Audio = above and beyond the call of duty in customer service and big, friendly ears.

dan98 6th July 2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Uh that's impressively quick!

Indeed session size is and RAM requirements are back down to something normal - still quite a bit higher than Soothe, but I guess it's a more complex plugin.

Thanks again.

TBProAudio 6th July 2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan98 (Post 14841843)
Uh that's impressively quick!

Indeed session size is and RAM requirements are back down to something normal - still quite a bit higher than Soothe, but I guess it's a more complex plugin.

Thanks again.

Thank you kfhkh