IK Multimedia launches ARC System 3 - Page 13 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia launches ARC System 3
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
It definitely bumps the low end more, which for me is a welcome addition, but it removes much more muddiness around the usual 100-200hz buildup too.

I made a setup where i can A/B with Sonarworks with a single click, and i have always preferred the ARC. With Sonarworks I hear more of that ugly 170hz that i know i have in my room.
Also the stereo image is wider, and i can hear a little more instrument separation too.
The difference is not night and day, and Sonarworks worked for me brilliantly for years though.

And i HAAATE that i have to route through virtual cables and programs just to have my whole system go through the correction in Windows 10.
You lose your goddamn volume control if you use it that way...
Thanks for the reply. I mix quite a bit with headphones as well and like using Abbey Road Studios plugin by Waves after SW. Would it be possible to set that up with ARC or is it just for monitors as I use both (headphones if can't be noisy late on etc.)

Cheers.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I mix quite a bit with headphones as well and like using Abbey Road Studios plugin by Waves after SW. Would it be possible to set that up with ARC or is it just for monitors as I use both (headphones if can't be noisy late on etc.)

Cheers.
ARC is for speakers only
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
ARC is for speakers only
Thanks for the info.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
And i HAAATE that i have to route through virtual cables and programs just to have my whole system go through the correction in Windows 10.
You lose your goddamn volume control if you use it that way...
This is a common complaint about Windows (and one place where Apple has a clear advantage). The fact that no one has solved the problem leads me to think a solution might not be possible, or at least require replacing a chuck of the operating system. Sonarworks Systemwide is a good try but caused some stability issues for me on Windows 7. I'm pessimistic.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

http://sar.audio/ this works well here on Windows 10 Pro instead of any virtual cables, only Chrome browser sounds wont work but you obviously use i.e. firefox then

Matti
Old 5th August 2020
^Thanks for this tip! Gotta try it.

As for the bass response with ARC 3, I think it's not hyped at all. I have KH310 speakers in a heavily treated room and I’ve always enjoyed the huge subs they can produce. And ARC has actually cut it by a few dBs while also making the bass more defined. I liked the bass response more without the correction but with ARC applied I trust it more which is #1 importance for me.

I also agree that instrument separation is a bit better as well as stereo imaging. Although the highs I had to cut a bit manually after correction. Maybe it was more accurate but a bit too much for my taste (and also compared to my HD650s).
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

I just want to chime in with my experience comparing ARC 3 to ARC 2.

1) It actually takes longer to do the measurement because the test tone pulses last longer and you are required to do 3 layers of height. The marketing bull**** about how long it takes to do the measurement--don't believe it. If you're the Flash, maybe, but not if you're merely a normal person.

2) ARC 2's correction although improves the sound of my Klein + Hummel O 300Ds and Neumann KH 805, I always found it on the brighter side and on some material it can get a bit fatiguing at time. ARC 3 flattens out those frequencies even more and now there's no issue with brightness anymore. Well worth the $50 upgrade for just the software (I did the measurement with my ARC 2 mic).

3) I prefer the natural setting over the linear, because, well, it does sound more natural.

4) The monitoring options with different speaker types is nice, but since I already have other plugins that do the same thing, it's not really needed. For those who don't have other plugins with that feature, it's nice to not have to test your mix on your phone or in your car or with your laptop's speakers to see how it sounds on those devices.

5) Previous versions of the ARC, when used in J River Media Center, would not engage the measurement correction until I actually open up ARC and manually select the measurement. ARC 3 doesn't have this problem. If the plugin is already activated, I could just turn on Media Center and play music, and the measurement is already engaged and working.

Overall, I'm pleased with the upgrade. I don't know how much better it'll be with the upgraded mic, but I assume it's very minor to the point of unnecessary, if you already have a mic that's compatible with ARC 3.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear
Not sure if I missed the info on the thread.... But I have been using and loving Arc since early v2. I upgraded to 3, made a good analysis...and my OS crapped out. I am setting up a new computer, have Arc set up, and am wondering where the analysis file is saved (I have access to the old hard drives, they just don't boot).
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Not sure if I missed the info on the thread.... But I have been using and loving Arc since early v2. I upgraded to 3, made a good analysis...and my OS crapped out. I am setting up a new computer, have Arc set up, and am wondering where the analysis file is saved (I have access to the old hard drives, they just don't boot).
PC:
C:\Users\Username\Documents\IK Multimedia\ARC System 3\AnaylsisResults\

Mac:
/Users/Username/Documents/IK Multimedia/ARC System 3/AnaylsisResults
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.m.junior View Post
PC:
C:\Users\Username\Documents\IK Multimedia\ARC System 3\AnaylsisResults\

Mac:
/Users/Username/Documents/IK Multimedia/ARC System 3/AnaylsisResults
Oh wow.... THANKS!!!
Old 13th August 2020
Here for the gear

Using ARC3 for performing room treatment?

As I understand it ARC is a way around some level of room treatment. I am about ready to purchase ARC3 and my idea is to use the analysis to further enhance my room. It's a small home studio and has issues for sure. I have mainly concentrated on keeping it pretty dead for mixing. So I'm hoping that by seeing the input will give me an idea about further treatment, what frequency range I should be addressing, etc. This is in the hope that the sound in the room might be enhanced in several positions, not just my chair at the desk. Does this make sense? Not that I think I can ever do without the software. Just not lean on it so much. As I have no experience with ARC yet I am a little paranoid about what happens if I sit in a little bit different position. Or does the correction "bleed" over into other positions somewhat? Thanks.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheart411 View Post
As I understand it ARC is a way around some level of room treatment.
Actually: NO. If you have acoustical problems like 20dB+ bumps and valleys on specific frequencies or flutter echo all over the place there is no software that will help you.
Stuff like ARC and Sonarworks will never replace that.
What it will do is help you out a little bit *after* you have tried your best at correcting the room in the physical domain.

Quote:
So I'm hoping that by seeing the input will give me an idea about further treatment, what frequency range I should be addressing, etc. This is in the hope that the sound in the room might be enhanced in several positions, not just my chair at the desk. Does this make sense? Not that I think I can ever do without the software. Just not lean on it so much. As I have no experience with ARC yet I am a little paranoid about what happens if I sit in a little bit different position. Or does the correction "bleed" over into other positions somewhat? Thanks.
You might look into the excellent (and free) Room EQ Wizard. That'll help you in targeting specific areas of your room and mix situation. Or check out Eric Valentine's videos on Youtube on control room acoustics and monitoring situations. Quite a lot of bang for zero bucks there.

Herwig
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

I was looking to upgrade from ARC2 to ARC3 myself, but considering my headphones are duding I decided they need to come first. Hopefully, I'll be able to put it next my list.

I figured, that regardless of how good your speakers and your space is, unless you've got the budget of NASA, they can always use a little extra improvement. Hence the idea of upgrading ARC becomes even more appealing. Plus you can always switch it of giving you effectively 2 pairs of speakers you can compare between.
Old 15th August 2020
Here for the gear

Nothing software is going to eliminate echoes and reverb in any room. I'll try REW. As soon as I get an Omni-directional mic....
Old 16th August 2020
Here for the gear

I have the arc 3 and compared to 2.5 it is very bright to my tastes maybe it's my speakers I have Adam a7x with sub 10 and Yamaha hs8 but the low end seems right. Also is you have a Mac and have iCloud sync (optimize Mac storage) it will loose you measurement files when the os stores your file in the cloud.
Old 17th August 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticctacc View Post
I have the arc 3 and compared to 2.5 it is very bright to my tastes maybe it's my speakers I have Adam a7x with sub 10 and Yamaha hs8 but the low end seems right. Also is you have a Mac and have iCloud sync (optimize Mac storage) it will loose you measurement files when the os stores your file in the cloud.
It doesn't add any brightness and it is affected by your measurements and your room. I'd suggest redoing your measurements and see if that helps as ARC 3 doesn't add any extra high end/brightness it adjusts based on the measurements of your room. Also, there should be no lost files, that is not normal behavior. IF remeasuring doesn't help and you want to figure out why your files were lost, I'm sure IK Support would be happy to assist you directly.
Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear

One thing that still bothers me is why the middle height measurements aren't conducted first.

IK have you set the middle point at middle height first then have you move it six inches higher. Then back to the middle height.

Should be middle, six inches higher then 12 inches lower for the final set of measurements.
Old 19th August 2020
Guys I have lame question sorry if it already has been answered somewhere. Do I really have to make 21 measurements in ARC3 each time? What if I wanted to make just 3 for a peer review of the soundsystem? Is there such possibility? Thanks, Tom
Old 19th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasylek View Post
Guys I have lame question sorry if it already has been answered somewhere. Do I really have to make 21 measurements in ARC3 each time? What if I wanted to make just 3 for a peer review of the soundsystem? Is there such possibility? Thanks, Tom
Any room you use only needs to be measured once using the ARC 3 Analysis software. If you have multiple speakers for your room, we'd suggest measuring each pair of speakers in your room as they will react differently. Each measurement can be loaded in the ARC 3 plug-in.

Below is the tutorial in case you need it (Sorry if it's been posted before)

Old 19th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
Any room you use only needs to be measured once using the ARC 3 Analysis software. If you have multiple speakers for your room, we'd suggest measuring each pair of speakers in your room as they will react differently. Each measurement can be loaded in the ARC 3 plug-in.

Below is the tutorial in case you need it (Sorry if it's been posted before)

Thanks, guys but can you please answer my question:

Do I really have to make 21 measurements in ARC3 each time? What if I wanted to make just 3 for a peer review of the soundsystem? Is there such possibility?

During the speaker placement I make many corrections regarding their position, damping materials etc. So I could use really fast measurement to see if it works first, then make thorough measurements using 3 layers x 7 positions. Ok ?

Best, Tom
Old 19th August 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasylek View Post
Thanks, guys but can you please answer my question:

Do I really have to make 21 measurements in ARC3 each time? What if I wanted to make just 3 for a peer review of the soundsystem? Is there such possibility?

During the speaker placement I make many corrections regarding their position, damping materials etc. So I could use really fast measurement to see if it works first, then make thorough measurements using 3 layers x 7 positions. Ok ?

Best, Tom
Ryan basically did, but to make sure it is 100% clear - yes you need to follow the measurement steps.

However, they don't take long at all (7--8 minutes, as stated in the video Ryan posted). Also, would you want to evaluate the qualify of ARC 3 based on a severely abbreviated process that would reduce the quality of correction which you were evaluating?

If you do want a quick correction method, you could use iLoud MTM and since the functionality is built in and is made specifically for those speakers it is a shorter process with still amazing results.
Old 25th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
Hmmm

This new update to Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource might be a good solution for using ARC 3 Systemwide on a Mac.

It allows 3rd party AU Effects to be used to any audio out

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/
I've been using a JBL MSC1 forever but for some reason when I just moved and tried to measure my new room, I kept getting the dreaded "signal to noise ratio is too low". So I looked for an alternative after spending a weekend getting the MSC1 to measure the room and I was really shying away from ARC because I wanted to hear the same thing system-wide and not have to worry about disabling anything when bouncing.

SoundSource works great, and basically turns ARC into everything I loved about using the room correction built into the MSC1. IK should definitely look into licensing with Rogue Amoeba or create something similar because not being able to hear the correction system-wide is why I originally went with the MSC1 years ago and I'm sure it keeps a lot more potential customers from using it.
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Head

Regarding systemwide on Windows, I would suggest just to put a tutorial on how to use something like VB-Audio Voicemeeter.
It's donationware so not exactly free, but it's amazing. It gives you much more than systemwide options in the particular software so there is no point to put this into ARC itself, it would just get in the way (I don't have ARC yet but that's an experience trying out Sonarworks).
But yeah it's a bit more involving to configure of course.
Old 25th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedor.tche View Post
Regarding systemwide on Windows, I would suggest just to put a tutorial on how to use something like VB-Audio Voicemeeter.
It's donationware so not exactly free, but it's amazing. It gives you much more than systemwide options in the particular software so there is no point to put this into ARC itself, it would just get in the way (I don't have ARC yet but that's an experience trying out Sonarworks).
But yeah it's a bit more involving to configure of course.
The VB-Audio stuff is great. There is a guide in the FAQ here for system wide audio use, but I will be sure to pass your comments to the team.
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
The VB-Audio stuff is great. There is a guide in the FAQ here for system wide audio use, but I will be sure to pass your comments to the team.
Ah ok I see you're using VB-Cable there.
But with Voicemeeter (I think you should go for Voicemeeter Banana for that) you don't need Asio4All, it does ASIO and it has inserts across all virtual inputs and outputs, so you can put a Mic Room on your Skype, ARK on system output etc.
Old 25th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedor.tche View Post
Ah ok I see you're using VB-Cable there.
But with Voicemeeter (I think you should go for Voicemeeter Banana for that) you don't need Asio4All, it does ASIO and it has inserts across all virtual inputs and outputs, so you can put a Mic Room on your Skype, ARK on system output etc.
I've actually recently expanded into Voicemeter, it's a neat tool. That's a great suggestion. I'll pass it over to the team and see what we can do.
Old 26th August 2020
Gear Addict

I've just started using Voicemeeter, with Plogue Bidule as the plugin host. After climbing two learning curves on the use of both tools, it seem to be pretty solid now. With some extra routing, you can put ARC on your monitors and your choice of binaural crossfeed and headphone EQ on your headphones. I have MIDI controller pads programmed to switch between the speaker and headphone signal paths.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

What would the procedure be for correcting a MixCube type mono speaker?
📝 Reply