The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BLISKO VIOLA - expressive viola textures in motion * INTRO PRICE *
Old 9th April 2020
Software BLISKO VIOLA - expressive viola textures in motion * INTRO PRICE *

Hi guys! I'm excited to introduce the first part of the Blisko collection - the Blisko Viola. Inspired by the works of John Luther Adams, Henryk Gรณrecki, Ben Frost and Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow, even the simplest, softest patches have a sense of constant motion, that gets denser and more emotional as you move through the dynamic layers.

It's designed with the ROLI Seaboard in mind, but is also compatible with standard MIDI controllers. The viola is available now, and the violin and cello will follow later this year. The content is already recorded, it's only a matter of editing.

The library was recorded through a beautiful collection of hand-made microphones, going into vintage Neumann, Telefunken and REDD-style tube preamps. The kit was hand-picked for itโ€™s character.

You choose between two close and two room signals and blend between them to your liking. And since we recorded in a dry studio, even the room mics are tight.

It works as a standard VST / AU plugin so you don't need any third-party software to play.

Available now at an intro price of 69GBP, going to 79GBP on April 16th.

More info:
https://feltinstruments.com/Blisko-Viola
Old 11th April 2020
GCL
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Nice, but would need an AAX version.
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL โžก๏ธ
Nice, but would need an AAX version.
It's possible. For now, most Pro Tools users seem to be using it in the Blue Cat Audio Patchworks wrapper.
Old 12th April 2020
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Sounds great!
Old 13th April 2020
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I like the appearence of your stuff very much! still not sure what is inside but what I hear sounds intriguing. strange that I didn't notice before.

Once you finsih the violin and cello, will you also have a complete bundle price including JASNO and LEKKO?

thank you

bojan
Old 14th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan_1 โžก๏ธ
I like the appearence of your stuff very much! still not sure what is inside but what I hear sounds intriguing. strange that I didn't notice before.

Once you finsih the violin and cello, will you also have a complete bundle price including JASNO and LEKKO?

thank you

bojan

Thanks! No, Blisko won't be bundled with the other two instruments as I feel it wouldn't be fair for people who decided to grab them before another deal was out. That's one of the reasons I don't do sales past the intro offer.
Old 15th April 2020
Just a friendly reminder that the intro price ends tomorrow midnight, CEST :-)
Old 15th April 2020
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thank you for your answer. Will the violin and cello be the same (you wrote multi-instrumentalist Marta Zalewska) or a different performer? (For violin I can somehow see this, but for cello this would be difficult I think.)

all the best

bojan
Old 15th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Thank you for your answer. Will the violin and cello be the same (you wrote multi-instrumentalist Marta Zalewska) or a different performer? (For violin I can somehow see this, but for cello this would be difficult I think.)

all the best

bojan
It's the same performer. She really is amazing and plays everything from medieval instruments, through acoustic bass, electric bass, guitar, violin, viola and cello. And who knows what else.
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Very interesting library.
It reminds me the Spitfire free frozen string (or Tundra), but even more organic and radical.
I would have loved a more detailed video presentation, but it seems very intriguing - and beautiful...
Old 15th April 2020
Deleted e1b9f94
Sorry for going offtopic. I rarely post these days. I must say that your very first video (intro) was one of the most impressive video for a product i ever seen. Very minimal and tied to core of a product.

It goes without saying that sound clips in videos are equally impressive.

I won't forget your intro video for a long time (sorry for offtopic but that opening cube, postproduction and everything else is special)

These days when everyone brag about "next gen","best of the best" or "analog" blah blah your humble product thread actually made me visit your website and i am considering buying your product.

Keep up the good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod โžก๏ธ
Sorry for going offtopic. I rarely post these days. I must say that your very first video (intro) was one of the most impressive video for a product i ever seen. Very minimal and tied to core of a product.

It goes without saying that sound clips in videos are equally impressive.

I won't forget your intro video for a long time (sorry for offtopic but that opening cube, postproduction and everything else is special)

These days when everyone brag about "next gen","best of the best" or "analog" blah blah your humble product thread actually made me visit your website and i am considering buying your product.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks! Doing these is a lot of fun, actually :-) I'm huge into non-descriptive art and I love doing videos that don't show the sampled instrument but rather reference it in a more or less abstract way.

I'll be posting a short walkthrough of the intro piece, by the way. It was literally written in about 15 minutes (well, the backbone of it) with the Sul Tasto Pulse patch. A few chords and some automation of the Mod Wheel and the Players knob (which introduces more players - up to 3 in total) and there it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan โžก๏ธ
Very interesting library.
It reminds me the Spitfire free frozen string (or Tundra), but even more organic and radical.
I would have loved a more detailed video presentation, but it seems very intriguing - and beautiful...
I did a more detailed walkthrough on Lekko, my first instrument but then I thought "ok, if I actually removed my voice and left the music in, what would remain?". So yeah, I know it's kind of brief at less than 2 minutes per section but that's really all there is. Some moving patches that you can animate a lot using the mod wheel or the Seaboard.

There's a lot of motion in the samples so it really doesn't require much controller wiggling.
Old 16th April 2020
Here's a screen capture of the main chord sequence of the Blisko Viola demo:

As you can see, not much is happening automation-wise. All the motion comes from the recordings. It really feels like cheating sometimes :-)

The intro price ends today midnight, CEST.
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Where does the pitch movements come from (from 0'20) ?

Are they in the samples (that would be very strange), or are you using the pitch bend wheel (or anything else) ?
Old 16th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan โžก๏ธ
Where does the pitch movements come from (from 0'20) ?

Are they in the samples (that would be very strange), or are you using the pitch bend wheel (or anything else) ?
There's some vibrato baked into some of the dynamic layers. The idea is that the higher you have the mod wheel, the more loudness, textural density and expression there is. The expression bit varies depending on the patch - in case of the Pulse Sus (second layer here), it's vibrato, among other things.
Old 16th April 2020
Or, if you mean a new note coming in than the Pulse Sus layer has a lot of motion so if you hold a chord, the notes will come in and out in a semi-random way. The motion is baked into the samples. The chords are not, obviously ;-) The engine allows you to control the amount of players, from 1 to 3. The more players, the more motion there is.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
convinced. just bought the pre-sale bundle.

Thank you, Tomek!
Quote:
convinced. just bought the pre-sale bundle.

Thank you, Tomek!
The pleasure is mine :-)
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi there,

Congrats on the release.
Just saw it, so I'll miss the intro, but no big deal ...

One thing though, why is your price tag in GBP ?

Looks like you guys are stationed in Poland, or ... ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon โžก๏ธ
Hi there,

Congrats on the release.
Just saw it, so I'll miss the intro, but no big deal ...

One thing though, why is your price tag in GBP ?

Looks like you guys are stationed in Poland, or ... ?
Yup, I'm in Poland but the currency has nothing to do with that. It's just something people can relate to without going to the currency converter to know how PLN translates to other currencies. By the way - the intro offer ends today so there's still time :-)
Old 17th April 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Well yea, not so much time to check it out first then ...

Anyway, thanks for your reply !
Old 17th April 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Really like the design, its aesthetic and simplicity. Lovely intimate sound character of the samples. Nice VI.
Old 20th April 2020
I just released a 1.0.2 update that fixes a mapping bug (everything was playing an octave higher than other string libraries) and some little things behind the scenes. If you didn't get the email just grab the latest version here: https://feltinstruments.com/Blisko-Viola-installers
Old 11th May 2020
Blisko Viola is now at v1.0.4. This update adds two new features I'm truly excited about. First is the DIVISI mode (proudly named by the community), which cycles the notes between different players.

The second one is an addition of a capture of my super-rare WSW EQ modules. You can now have the sound, including a WSW line preamp, right in the interface. And it sounds great.

You can grab it here: https://feltinstruments.com/updates
Old 13th May 2020 | Show parent
DSK
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt Instruments โžก๏ธ
Here's a screen capture of the main chord sequence of the Blisko Viola demo:

As you can see, not much is happening automation-wise. All the motion comes from the recordings. It really feels like cheating sometimes :-)

The intro price ends today midnight, CEST.
That's a very nice sounding library!
Love these kind of textural libraries, and I'm glad to see more releases as this will influence our sound culture and the market in a positive way.

But unfortunately for me there seems to be just a bit too much character and movement in the recording from the demo, too much cheating like you said, for such a high entry fee.

Sorry for the TL/DR below but I have a compulsion to critique and express my hopefully well articulated and relevant views when something that I really appreciate rubs me a bit off...

Communication
I see that you're creating this air of mystique with all the blurry images and minimalist, Bauhaus-like approach that caters to a high end audience.. but this communication is rather confusing, when it comes to the more practical and quantitative questions.

It does help to set the tone of your intent, ethos etc. so good job on that, but it doesn't help me, as a customer to fully understand, why would I buy this compared to the other similar options out there (which fortunately exist)

MPE
Also there is no video demoing the MPE implementation properly, which I find a bit odd as I don't immediately see these kind textural/phrase instruments that fitting, although I can imagine fades per notes would be useful. But since I can only imagine it, it doesn't convince me.

Again all that mystique doesn't help but rather deters.

The way I mainly use MPE is on basic sound sources/libraries and customize them to bring my own expression into them (physical modelling like Ache, lifeless Solo Kontakt instruments with great basic texture etc).

From this last video there is so much movement in the recordings, I can't see where my own MPE expression would fit, beside some texture changes?

Content
I don't see that there is that much content from the demo videos considering the asking price. I see there are 10 articulations, and some you can distinguish from the demo videos, but like the whole thing there's this layer of confusion of how exactly are they sounding per se and how are they playable.

A bit on the high end price wise as well compared to the direct competition.

.. and that's OK since it's gate keeping these instruments from impulse buyers and niches them towards discerning/tasteful "composers" that either:
- have no time/resources to record these kind of textures
- or the will to find ways to express themselves more personally with other means

Same reason I didn't buy into another gem (Bohemian Violin).
If I didn't have a Seaboard with breath controller, and a real violin that I somewhat play (good enough for my own textures though) these kind of "personality" in a box libraries would be very high on my list of priorities.
I'm mentioning this because you heavily push MPE as a selling point.

Even if this should be for me as it ticks most of the right boxes, it definitely isn't as it doesn't tick them in the way that I would like.

I can definitely see this as a niche tool for one or two projects.

Pricing policy
Also regarding your no discount ever pricing policy that you and others are trying to push into the market, with the message that it's not fair to early adopters is quite misguided.

Personally I think it is actually more unfair in the grand scheme.
If you mean doing huge sales just after a brief period of time after launch? Of course that's unfair. But doing sales after a good while, and the people who bought had the chance to actually use it, they got their time with said tool. That's why not ever having sales is more alienating than a bastion of fairness.
Again personally I think this is just to get those first critical impulse purchases in, by creating pressure on the buyer (with that said I do appreciate that you don't have HUUUGE 40-50% intro discounts for individual instruments, that really pray on said emotions of the buyers)

Still for example I learned about this intro period of this library and bundle offer by chance, and if I wanted I could have gotten the Pre-order bundle at a sale price. Now that would have been a 30% discount!! But how is that fair?

Why would someone who just found out about this not be able to get in that sweet deal?

Or why would someone who is in between projects and needs to save up not be able to ever get a chance in the future to afford such a tool?

Why would poor communication skills and/or resources as a company should be a punishing factor in the buying power of a perspective buyer?

Is not everyone deserving of a fair chance to believe in your project?

That's why I don't buy the "fairness" angle at all. Life is inherently unfair, people with more money will always win, they can always afford to buy into a deal. That's why the rich only get richer. Somewhat regular sales mitigate some of that effect.

I personally see discounts (especially seasonal) as a way in for musicians/composers/producers with tighter budgets to have an in as well, as you can set aside a wish-list and wait for a sale. Alas you get the library well after it has been heard on other productions, but it's a small price to pay compared to not being able to afford it/justify it at all.

Also you have to factor in that libraries, even more forward thinking ones like yours (arguably with the amount of personality and catering to the seed of your influences, which are rather current), morally degrade.

For me as a perspective buyer not having the chance to purchase it discounted in the future, after this trend is passed for example, is a message that this sound is indeed timeless, in it's inherent commercial value. Which from my opinion it is not

end of TL/DR
With all that criticism being said I thoroughly love the overall approach (it's the only reason I devoted so much energy into this post) and I wish you good luck!
Old 13th May 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I'm not agree with everything the previous poster said, but I'm agree on two points :
- price is a bit high for an unknown developer
- as a potential buyer that loves the sound esthetic of your product, I think it definitely lacks a comprehensive tutorial/demo/walkthrough that could make me more confident into the usability of it

I almost bought it, but I was not so sure I could truly use it.
Like everybody (specially here on gearslutz), I had some impulse buying that I regret now, and I try not to buy anything without being sure I will truly use it (specially at this price).

And like DSK, if I take the time to post this, this is because I find Blisko Viola very attractive and interesting.
Old 14th May 2020
Ok, that's fair, thanks for some constructive criticism! Let me answer some of these points :-)

Communication

First thing I'd like to make clear here is that Felt is my personal project and while I understand that the aesthetic may not be for everyone's taste, it simply how I enjoy things. I'm not interested in doing more standard videos, showing sampled instruments or flying a drone over a forest to link the character of the instruments to some imagery. I love abstract, non-descriptive art for example and I know this is not how most people do this stuff but well, I do. The interfaces are kept in a similar spirit and upcoming projects will be there, too.

I think you raised a very important point here, and that is there are (fortunately) other options on the market. I'm not interested in doing what the fine developers out there already did. I see no point, really, because there are awesome tools that do great things. I really make tools for myself and I'm happy to share them with the community. They won't do everything, they won't serve every purpose but they're not trying to.

Also, the videos show a playthrough of all patches. My thought process behind that approach was this: if I take the standard walkthrough of any other library and remove the talking, I'll be left with the patches only. If there's something more specific you'd like to see - please, let me know and I'll be happy to include that in the future.

MPE

I'm working on videos showcasing that, but being a one-man-band and doing all the recording / editing / design / development / video content myself means making priorities. I'm currently focusing on getting the rest of the Blisko collection out (the cello will be out next week) for people who preordered because I feel it's fair for the community. Once these are out, I promise I'll shoot some fingers on the keywaves ;-)

The reason for MPE being there is that you can blend different textures via the interface (that's the articulation mixer / the split rectangles on the interface). Some have more motion, some less, and each has a different character. With mod wheel, play a chord, move the mod and all notes will change (which is cool, by the way). With MPE, you can change each note independent of the others.

Content
Think of this library as either a collection of solo string textures or textures for small ensembles. Everything is recorded in a beautiful way (that's obviously my personal opinion) and I think these textures have no equivalent in other stuff that's currently on the market.

This library has no legatos and no standard articulations. It doesn't try to be a do-everything instrument. It's all about textures and movement.

Pricing policy
I feel very strong about this, but here's the approach: I'd much rather give an offer to early adopters and a fair price (again - that's just my opinion) for everyone else than do sales. I've been in a situation when I bought something myself only to see it being available at 50% off a few months later. I didn't like the feeling and I won't do this to people who support me.

Also, the libraries come with lifetime free updates and everyone who bought either Blisko or one of my previous releases will confirm that I keep adding new features all the time.

Again - thanks for all feedback!
Old 15th May 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Do you plan NKS support?
Old 15th May 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali โžก๏ธ
Do you plan NKS support?
Not for now, but every knob can be MIDI-learned and they're also available for access as parameters for automation in your DAW.
๐Ÿ“ Reply