Solid State Logic’s 9000 J joins Brainworx’s SSL-Console Series - Page 22 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic’s 9000 J joins Brainworx’s SSL-Console Series
Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar View Post
The BX 4K EQ is nice, but the compression isn't really convincing. I wonder how come people didn't noticed that in the beginning? How many of you in this thread, convincing everyone, this is the most authentic SSL channelstrip, had actually experience with working on a real 4K board? Just curious?
I never saw anyone praising the accuracy of the compressor.

I have worked and compared the EQ, and, to my ears, it's the best one on plugin land.
Old 29th November 2020
Gear Nut

I was under the impression that Brainworx 'fixed' the compressor after the 4000 E strip got the SSL stamp during their collaboration?
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
Tried the CLA mixhub last night. My first thought was that it's more hifi sounding, but not open as the bx_console SSL E.
The bx_console eq was more brutal in a nice way. Every eq move On the E was audible right away, something that I also miss on the J
Thanks for posting! I actually prefer CLA to Bx E, precisely for the same reasons! For open, transparent and punchy i like the Bx J. On the 'rock n roll' tracks (bass, kick, gtrs, vox etc.) in parallel or alone, i find myself reaching for CLA Mixhub.

But the dynamics on the Bx J, IMO are about the best of any SSL strip i've heard.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
But the dynamics on the Bx J, IMO are about the best of any SSL strip i've heard.
Totally agree about the compressor :-)
And the eq is very very good too.
Actually most of the time I find the J hard to beat.
Old 3rd December 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I’m not an SSL aficionado, so I don’t know how close to a real console it sounds like, but the bxJ makes is so easy to get a good mix going across all areas, vox, instruments, drums, bass. You can then just supplement a few things for more character with, parallel processing, saturation, etc. Great channel strip.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
I got the bx SSL 9kJ when it first came out, and I am still digging it. I do wish the compressor section was better, but it's pretty damn good for a grab and go channel strip plugin. I don't usually push the compressor on the SSL like a lot of SSL guys do so I don't feel I am missing much.

Most recently I did a mix with the SSL 9KJ and then did the mix over again from scratch with the Slate FG-S. The bx was a clear winner for me, so much more open and "real". The mix just had more breath. I don't really push the SSL into any saturation or anything, I was just never really into SSL saturation - though I have tried this on many mixes, I never stick with it, not on the channels at least. Master bus is a different story.

Lately I am using the bx 9KJ on channels and Slate VCC 4KE on my master bus with amazing results.
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic View Post
I got the bx SSL 9kJ when it first came out, and I am still digging it. I do wish the compressor section was better, but it's pretty damn good for a grab and go channel strip plugin. I don't usually push the compressor on the SSL like a lot of SSL guys do so I don't feel I am missing much.

Most recently I did a mix with the SSL 9KJ and then did the mix over again from scratch with the Slate FG-E. The bx was a clear winner for me, so much more open and "real". The mix just had more breath. I don't really push the SSL into any saturation or anything, I was just never really into SSL saturation - though I have tried this on many mixes, I never stick with it, not on the channels at least. Master bus is a different story.

Lately I am using the bx 9KJ on channels and Slate VCC 4KE on my master bus with amazing results.
In my experience, a lot of SSL guys don't push the comp but rather tickle the first yellow light. In fact, the bx J is one of not many where it sounds good doing more.

The J is also not the desk to push, even better the plugin has the THD screw which sounds really good.

There's no FG-E, do you mean FG-S EQ and the VCA comp? I never liked those, especially the EQ. They have a somewhat plasticky feel for lack of a better word. Almost every Slate plugin feels somewhat hyped to me, when you open them, you go wow, after a few minutes you go this is too much of everything.

But the old VCC 4k on the master bus with OS on still hold its own.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Been using the 9000J across several mixes today and trying to justify categorizing it as a ‘want’ and not a ‘need’ but it’s too good. They got me at $99. Buying.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Been using the 9000J across several mixes today and trying to justify categorizing it as a ‘want’ and not a ‘need’ but it’s too good. They got me at $99. Buying.
I got it around 60 or so and it's def worth it. The EQ and comp alone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
In my experience, a lot of SSL guys don't push the comp but rather tickle the first yellow light. In fact, the bx J is one of not many where it sounds good doing more.

The J is also not the desk to push, even better the plugin has the THD screw which sounds really good.

There's no FG-E, do you mean FG-S EQ and the VCA comp? I never liked those, especially the EQ. They have a somewhat plasticky feel for lack of a better word. Almost every Slate plugin feels somewhat hyped to me, when you open them, you go wow, after a few minutes you go this is too much of everything.

But the old VCC 4k on the master bus with OS on still hold its own.

Yes! The FG-S is what I meant. Thank you for correcting. I do think that the Slate stuff can be heavy handed. The VCC channels feel restricting to me, almost like they pump and breathe instead of saturate.
When I first got the Slate stuff I was blown away, it just sounded soo much better than most plugins I had tried at that point, but the more I found myself as a mixing engineer the more I realized that my mixes sound better with less Slate, just as you said "too much of everything".

I typically keep the THD knob pretty low if not off on the J. Have you found a sweet spot with the THD or do you keep it on the default off position?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
I got it around 60 or so and it's def worth it. The EQ and comp alone...
How you got it for $60?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
How you got it for $60?
With a 75 voucher and cross sale offer for having other consoles. Something like this, I don't remember exactly and could have been 69 Euro. Some time ago. Not sure any more.
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
With a 75 voucher and cross sale offer for having other consoles. Something like this, I don't remember exactly and could have been 69 Euro. Some time ago. Not sure any more.
I could only get it down to $75 a while back with a $75 voucher and owning other strips. I passed though.

Not NEEDING it, I was waiting for better sales thinking I could eventually get it gor $29-49. But they now only seem to have sales after vouchers expire and before they issue new ones.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
I could only get it down to $75 a while back with a $75 voucher and owning other strips. I passed though.

Not NEEDING it, I was waiting for better sales thinking I could eventually get it gor $29-49. But they now only seem to have sales after vouchers expire and before they issue new ones.
You won't get it for 49 until it's a few years old. That seems to be the policy with these newer high profile products. But 75 for one of the very best channel strips around seems like a great deal to me.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic View Post

Most recently I did a mix with the SSL 9KJ and then did the mix over again from scratch with the Slate FG-S. The bx was a clear winner for me, so much more open and "real". The mix just had more breath. I don't really push the SSL into any saturation or anything, I was just never really into SSL saturation - though I have tried this on many mixes, I never stick with it, not on the channels at least. Master bus is a different story.

Ssshhhhhhh!! Don’t give that comb away.

I’m actually using Slates on the busses after bxJ. So bxJ on individual channels for EQ and comp. then Buss those channels based on groups. And put Slate SSL VCC on these Buss inserts. Nice!!
Old 13th December 2020
Lives for gear

Hi. Recently there has been a short discussion about posting audio examples.

So here is a comparison of unprocessed drum tracks and procession ONLY using SSL9000J channel strip.
The strip is on every track (7 instruments tracks plus 3 Room mic tracks). No other plugin was used, neither on the stem-bus nore the stereo out bus. The 3 Room mic tracks have been key-sidechained by snare, kick and toms.

I think it´s a killer plugin.

Afterthoughts from 22.01.2021:
I know that many thought this audio examples sounds terrible and one person even got very massive about it, posts deleted already.
I wanted to add that I got the drum tracks and they are what they are, as many mix engineers have to deal with what they get. In this example I only made the most rudimentary moves with the 9000J and used no other single plugin. If listened closely (even is only MP3) its clearly audible what the J does and that everything sounds much better and has more movement. I can assure, using a preamp on each channel, than a digital EQ for precise pocketing and than the 9000 J leads to very convincing results easily.
Attached Files

No procession.mp3 (1.60 MB, 2655 views)

Drums with SSL9000J.mp3 (1.60 MB, 2677 views)

Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No - YOU don’t understand. Whether I listened has absolutely nothing to do with it - you were being harsh for no apparent reason. It really doesn’t matter if what someone posts is complete s***e. Your comments were unkind and unnecessary.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone know how long the current sale last?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD View Post
Anyone know how long the current sale last?
Their spam bot says: Sale ends January 4, 11:59 PM (PST)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

What do you guys think? How does it compare to Satson CS?
I have both and really like the Satson. For some reason I don't use the SSL J ... perhaps because I'm more used to the Satson sound.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I see that PIA are offering the J for 99 today and with my voucher I can get it for 75 dollars. Really tempted by it but wonder if it wears off and how much use you others guys still use it after the honeymoon period?

I use the E and G as needed and wonder if this will really add or just gather dust..

Thanks.

I got it and on Honeymoon now.. its lovely..
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman18 View Post
I see that PIA are offering the J for 99 today and with my voucher I can get it for 75 dollars. Really tempted by it but wonder if it wears off and how much use you others guys still use it after the honeymoon period?

I use the E and G as needed and wonder if this will really add or just gather dust..

Thanks.
Consensus here is that the J is the best SSL from PA, especially concerning the authenticity of the compression.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If anyone has a $75 voucher to trade I will trade you my $25 voucher and give you my license for bx_focusrite console. PM me!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Strange. I still see it for 199 on the PA page.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

The initial discount was in an email puff from PIA..

SSL-9000J-9999

And you can use personal vouchers for the first time too..

got it for 50
Lives for gear

Since some time I don't get those voucher mails any more. I even didn't get the API into offer voucher. Already contacted the support which was kind and very fast and they helped me out with the API and wanted to check out the problem. Now I know they weren't successful

By the way a thought to all of who preferring other SSL emulations. Never underestimate the cumulative effect and power of the TMT. This in the end, as well as the CPU friendly code - so you really can use it on every channel to get a signature sound - it's the killer argument for me to use PA consoles over other brands. I agree with you that the J compressor is awesome. But I also like the ones from the 4K E+G, especially as they can be pushed a lot with input gain and THD. I usually use them for GR only lighting up the first index LED barely. Of course it depends on source and situation.

Have you tried the API?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone got a $75 voucher they aren't going to use? :D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont feel too bad. I paid $74 for the SSL J plug, but didnt have to wait. Plus they dropped my voucher down to $50.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

I bought this channel when it was released. Not bad. But I prefer the E channel or the G for vocals and stuff. But it doesn't matter it's a good channel strip. A bit stuffy but in the long run ok.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Anyone got a $75 voucher they aren't going to use? :D
I echo this question.

If anybody has a $75 voucher that they have no use for, I would greatly appreciate a PM.
📝 Reply