The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Massenburg MDWEQ v6 is out
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml View Post
most recently the question was asked (again) on the UA forum, and a UA representative said 'i'll get right back to you'. we're still waiting.
There appears to be a strong disconnect between forum reps and any decision-making brass at UA. I'm sure you're not relying on that particular connection for sole influence in a decision of such gravity, but those 'we'll get back to you' responses are practically rubber stamps over there. And I'm guessing that other non-responses indicate that they're just not going to press forward with it. I'd love to know why.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Weird reading last page of this thread, in my opinion and according to my long-time experience UA has the best support in the business together with Waves. Always received detailed and dedicated support in no time from them, let it be UAD or HW related.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Weird reading last page of this thread, in my opinion and according to my long-time experience UA has the best support in the business together with Waves. Always received detailed and dedicated support in no time from them, let it be UAD or HW related.
That’s not been my experience. In the early 2000s it was pretty great. But they were super small and it was one guy. But I had a series of problems about 10 years ago. They just ignored me. I got loud on the forum. Then I got attention. Finally they sent me a new unit basically to shut me up. Lol.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
And I'm guessing that other non-responses indicate that they're just not going to press forward with it. I'd love to know why.
I'm sure @ Universal Audio is aware of this question as I keep tagging them all the time and also was mentioning it in on of their GS threads.

George and us (the users) deserve to get an answer, don't you think so @ Universal Audio ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
That’s not been my experience. In the early 2000s it was pretty great. But they were super small and it was one guy. But I had a series of problems about 10 years ago. They just ignored me. I got loud on the forum. Then I got attention. Finally they sent me a new unit basically to shut me up. Lol.
I have used UAD ever since they were Mackie. ( I can't remember the year UAD divorced, mid 2000?)

Anyway, every time I have called UAD I get a reply from a actual real and knowledgeable person, without those idiotic phone mazes that are really intended to tell the customer to just go away, in a timely manner. If they don't have the solution when I call, they offer one shortly. This is just one reason I continue to purchase from UAD.

I spent at least 3 team viewer sessions in 1 week with Waves for what must have been close to a total of 5 hours attempting to fix a Wavelab 9.5 issue. While I value UAD more overall, this is why I continue to purchase some Waves tools on occasion.

I too prefer MDW over ProQ3 for iso-peak surgical issues and how transparent that can be compared to ProQ3. I view MDW as more uncluttered with pure tasks. I use ProQ3 as a luxury EQ that achieves a lot more objectives than MDW. Knowing when and why to use which tool really is a good thing.

I too would love an updated UAD MDW. But it would be nice to have a switch to turn off the updated visual when needed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just realized that I didn't tag @ Universal Audio in this thread already since one week.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Compared this EQ blindly to several others a few days ago and this was the winner. As a result I bought it and it will be my new go to. It kept the depth of the original signal and retained the transients best compared to Crave, Sonnox EQ, and the new empirical labs bigfreq.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I have been using this heavily, daily, for two months now. For the life of me I can’t explain how or why it should sound the way it doe. I’ve A/B’d it multiple times against the usual suspects... and every time those deliciously crisp and clear transients pop right out, making the competition sound (sometimes very subtly, sometimes very musically significantly) sludgy and slow in comparison. The only thing I own which sonically compares favorably (perhaps better, but not, it’s hard to say; I have come to use them for different tasks) is MAAT ThEQblue, which is similarly snappy and clear but somehow always “deeper” sounding than any other digital EQ I have tried.

It really is clearer, more transparent, more respectful of transients. My knowledge of digital filtering tells me this should be impossible, or imperceptible - but the evidence of the ear is for me inarguable.

In addition to the excellent tight cuts, I also love it for boosting. Tight, clear, crisp boosts.

It makes mixing easier and faster. The GUI is not my favorite, but the sound more than makes up for that, and now that I am used to the GUI I don’t even mind it (using the knobs with the scroll wheel is quite fast and comfortable; the graph dragging really needs a better way of controlling Q value, currently it is very clunky and slow next to Equilibrium or Pro-Q)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
I have been using this heavily, daily, for two months now. For the life of me I can’t explain how or why it should sound the way it doe. I’ve A/B’d it multiple times against the usual suspects... and every time those deliciously crisp and clear transients pop right out, making the competition sound (sometimes very subtly, sometimes very musically significantly) sludgy and slow in comparison. The only thing I own which sonically compares favorably (perhaps better, but not, it’s hard to say; I have come to use them for different tasks) is MAAT ThEQblue, which is similarly snappy and clear but somehow always “deeper” sounding than any other digital EQ I have tried.

It really is clearer, more transparent, more respectful of transients. My knowledge of digital filtering tells me this should be impossible, or imperceptible - but the evidence of the ear is for me inarguable.

In addition to the excellent tight cuts, I also love it for boosting. Tight, clear, crisp boosts.

It makes mixing easier and faster. The GUI is not my favorite, but the sound more than makes up for that, and now that I am used to the GUI I don’t even mind it (using the knobs with the scroll wheel is quite fast and comfortable; the graph dragging really needs a better way of controlling Q value, currently it is very clunky and slow next to Equilibrium or Pro-Q)
Can you post some AB files with screenshots of matched EQ curves?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Can you post some AB files with screenshots of matched EQ curves?
Should be able to get around to that this afternoon!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Completely agree! The difference is there with the transients. MAAT blue and MDW EQ6 just sound more “correct” and pleasant to listen to. I find using EQ6 throughout my mixes I can push things forwards and backwards and fit things into the mix better. It doesn’t make sense, but it’s there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Should be able to get around to that this afternoon!
Legend - thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This is the answer from Massenburg:

"Unfortunately, the only upgrade path to EQ6 is from MDWEQ5-AAX and MDWEQ5-AAX-Native and UAD is a completely separate platform hence not applicable for upgrade and we do not have any plans to move EQ6 to UAD at this time."

So, no availability on UAD and no crossgrade/upgrade options from UAD. Seems like every 3th party developer is running away from UAD.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambox811 View Post
Seems like every 3th party developer is running away from UAD.
Read the messages earlier in this thread... @ Universal Audio refuses to reply to George Massenburg who would like to bring it to UAD.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Read the messages earlier in this thread... @ Universal Audio refuses to reply to George Massenburg who would like to bring it to UAD.
The whole thing is getting a bit weird now:

1. 29 March - very soon after the plugin was announced, UA posted on the UAD Forum: "Ask MDW. It'll be up to them to bring it to the platform."

So at this point it seems like UA haven't heard anything from MDW about it.

2. 30 March - someone else on the UAD Forum posted that they had reached out to MDW, and were told "our sincere apologies, but at this time we have no plans to publish MDWEQ6 on the UA platform." UA replied "I suppose they have a reason not to bring this out for their customers."

At this point, point 1 makes sense because MDW have said they don't plan to port it to UAD.

3. 3 weeks ago - George posts here that "well, guys, despite our many attempts to reach UA to discuss an MDWEQ6 for UA, we've been met with silence. it's hard not to conclude that we're being ghosted for reasons unknown." George's post is mentioned on the UAD forum and UA replies "I will be seeing what I can find out and facilitate any communication I can."

So now it just seems like a communication issue - MDW tried reaching out but were unsuccessful for whatever reason, but the goodwill seems there to make it happen.

4. 2 weeks ago - George posts here "as i've mentioned many times here and elsewhere, UA has not responded to any of our requests to support MDW on the UA platforms. most recently the question was asked (again) on the UA forum, and a UA representative said 'i'll get right back to you'. we're still waiting. we've simply been ghosted. maybe if there's enough interest in the MDWEQ5 to MDWEQ6 upgrade from UA users, it can be appealed directly to the salespersons at UA. we have not been able to get anywhere."

Shame that they still aren't figuring out the communication issues at this point but there must be a reason for it.

5. 6 hours ago - Jambox811 posts here that MDW told them: "we do not have any plans to move EQ6 to UAD at this time."

Now MDW are back to point 2 and don't plan on porting it anymore?

<shrug emoji>
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post

Shame that they still aren't figuring out the communication issues at this point but there must be a reason for it.
Yeah. Money.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
NOT A SCIENTIFIC COMPARISON

Sorry for the delay here, I had a work concern that got in the way of doing this earlier, but here we are! Audio comparison time!

Up for consideration are three bounces of a Chili Peppers-ish drum and bass groove I tracked for a client a month ago, utilizing three of premium, top-shelf EQs, one of which is MDWEQ6 of course.

I started from scratch doing some quick and somewhat exaggerated tweaking with one of the EQs and then I matched the curves with the others as close as I could. In some cases those nulls reached down to -55dBFS or so, while others refused to null very low at all, staying up around -33dBFS no matter how much I poked or prodded.

Interestingly when the two-mixes are nulled against each other the null is quite high/audible, presumably due to the bus processing (from the actual mix session, and which I forgot to turn off here) reacting to the slight differences between the EQs.

Other than the respective EQs, we have Softube Eden WT800 and Neold V76U73 on bass, Dyn3 gate on kick and snare, and some bus processing that I forgot to turn off Softube Chandler Germanium on drum bus, Softube Chandler Zener Limiter on parallel drums, and Vertigo VSC-3, Softube Chandler Curve Bender, Softube Tape, and Acustica Ruby2 (preamp disabled) on the two-mix.

Hardly scientific with a big messy bus chain like that, I know. If people are really cranky about it and my schedule remains open I may go back and turn off the bus processing, but there is also some merit to a "live fire exercise" comparison that demonstrates how these differences affect a "real" mix.

I have my opinions but I'll keep them to myself until some other folks have a chance to form theirs.

Files are 24-bit/48kHz, as they were tracked (I've been dying to try 96kHz but that will have to wait until my new computer shows up!). Dithered with Airwindows NJAD.

Cheers!
Attached Files

EQ Shootout A.wav (11.15 MB, 947 views)

EQ Shootout B.wav (11.15 MB, 965 views)

EQ Shootout C.wav (11.15 MB, 951 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry for the delay here, I had a work concern that got in the way of doing this earlier, but here we are! Audio comparison time!

Up for consideration are three bounces of a Chili Peppers-ish drum and bass groove I tracked for a client a month ago, utilizing three of premium, top-shelf EQs, one of which is MDWEQ6 of course.

I started from scratch doing some quick and somewhat exaggerated tweaking with one of the EQs and then I matched the curves with the others as close as I could. In some cases those nulls reached down to -55dBFS or so, while others refused to null very low at all, staying up around -33dBFS no matter how much I poked or prodded.

Interestingly when the two-mixes are nulled against each other the null is quite high/audible, presumably due to the bus processing (from the actual mix session, and which I forgot to turn off here) reacting to the slight differences between the EQs.

Other than the respective EQs, we have Softube Eden WT800 and Neold V76U73 on bass, Dyn3 gate on kick and snare, and some bus processing that I forgot to turn off Softube Chandler Germanium on drum bus, Softube Chandler Zener Limiter on parallel drums, and Vertigo VSC-3, Softube Chandler Curve Bender, Softube Tape, and Acustica Ruby2 (preamp disabled) on the two-mix.

Hardly scientific with a big messy bus chain like that, I know. If people are really cranky about it and my schedule remains open I may go back and turn off the bus processing, but there is also some merit to a "live fire exercise" comparison that demonstrates how these differences affect a "real" mix.

I have my opinions but I'll keep them to myself until some other folks have a chance to form theirs.

Files are 24-bit/48kHz, as they were tracked (I've been dying to try 96kHz but that will have to wait until my new computer shows up!). Dithered with Airwindows NJAD.

Cheers!
Thanks for doing this - will have a listen in the studio
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The whole thing is getting a bit weird now:

1. 29 March - very soon after the plugin was announced, UA posted on the UAD Forum: "Ask MDW. It'll be up to them to bring it to the platform."

So at this point it seems like UA haven't heard anything from MDW about it.

2. 30 March - someone else on the UAD Forum posted that they had reached out to MDW, and were told "our sincere apologies, but at this time we have no plans to publish MDWEQ6 on the UA platform." UA replied "I suppose they have a reason not to bring this out for their customers."

At this point, point 1 makes sense because MDW have said they don't plan to port it to UAD.

3. 3 weeks ago - George posts here that "well, guys, despite our many attempts to reach UA to discuss an MDWEQ6 for UA, we've been met with silence. it's hard not to conclude that we're being ghosted for reasons unknown." George's post is mentioned on the UAD forum and UA replies "I will be seeing what I can find out and facilitate any communication I can."

So now it just seems like a communication issue - MDW tried reaching out but were unsuccessful for whatever reason, but the goodwill seems there to make it happen.

4. 2 weeks ago - George posts here "as i've mentioned many times here and elsewhere, UA has not responded to any of our requests to support MDW on the UA platforms. most recently the question was asked (again) on the UA forum, and a UA representative said 'i'll get right back to you'. we're still waiting. we've simply been ghosted. maybe if there's enough interest in the MDWEQ5 to MDWEQ6 upgrade from UA users, it can be appealed directly to the salespersons at UA. we have not been able to get anywhere."

5. 6 hours ago - Jambox811 posts here that MDW told them: "we do not have any plans to move EQ6 to UAD at this time."

<shrug emoji>
@ gml this indeed seems strange. Maybe you can get it sorted out and finally bring the MDWEQ6 to UAD?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
@ gml this indeed seems strange. Maybe you can get it sorted out and finally bring the MDWEQ6 to UAD?
would be great.. ! +1 from me
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers!
I like C then A then B. Although whatever EQ you first picked to make the moves on should sound best
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

<shrug emoji>
That is indeed the answer I got from Massenburg after asking whether there will be crossgrade/upgrade options for UAD users. Keep in mind I got that answer around the end of july, so things might have changed... or not. Wonder how long Softube, Antares, Sonnox etc will still be supported on the UAD platform.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Cheers!
A>C>B
I think I can use A or C either, it depends on the taste.
but I should not use B.
Can you PM me the result?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I would love to see VST version of this someday. Implement it with iLok, and that should take care of the piracy issues.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

George, why don´t you just partner with softube for native plugin formats
like Daniel Weiss did ?
Brilliant company and the copy protection seems to work well.
He seems to have sold quite some of his high end eq / dynamics plugins...

Or with Plugin Alliance.
O.k. they ripped of your 8200 EQ but why don´t you partner
with them like they did with SSL / FOCUSRITE for an even more precise version of your heritage analog designs 8200 / 9500 - while at the same time you release the
more modern mdw eq / dynamics on your own ?
I really hate to watch that AMEK logo on a GML EQ - I bet you do too ?
Really would be a win/win situation.

Avid / UAD dsp based plugin versions are dead.
Native plugins with the most powerful mac one can afford is the new paradigm shift.
The upcoming ARM macs will have power for days - contrary to uad / avid dsp from the stone age -
bundled to mediocre converters and mic pres.

I for my part used your AAX mdw EQ religiously and recommended
it to many colleagues and friends. But times are changing and most of us
changed from Avid PT to more budget friendly DAWs like logic pro / studio one etc.

Really would love to have your plugins on a native format !
And please do stop that PA AMEK action - what a weird and ridiculous thing to see
this otherwise really good company stealing your heritage.

All the best !

shaman
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
The upcoming ARM macs will have power for days...
Well yes, if you’re talking about battery life.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
Well yes, if you’re talking about battery life.
Probably the most valuable
computer company on the planet screws
their own silicon.
So glad you made us aware of it.
📝 Reply