The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kazrog True Dynamics (2x Vintage Tube Comps) Released!
Old 18th March 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Kazrog True Dynamics (2x Vintage Tube Comps) Released!

From the website...



TWO RARE VINTAGE TUBE COMPRESSORS - AVAILABLE IN PLUGIN FORMAT FOR THE FIRST TIME!

True Dynamics emulates the Presto 41A and ITA LA1B - two of the most sought after and hard-to-find vintage tube compressors in all of pro audio. These are the rare secret weapons of some of the world's top mixing and recording engineers, and now they can be in your DAW for a tiny fraction of the cost of owning the real units (assuming you can even find those!).

The emulation technology behind True Dynamics incorporates the same industry leading analog-modeled DSP behind Kazrog's renowned True Iron plugin.

Features
  • Highly accurate emulations of the Presto 41A and ITA LA1B compressors, inside a single plugin.
  • Toggle between compressor models with a single click.
  • Unified Gain Reduction, Recovery Time, Mix percent, and Out Level controls.
  • VU meter.
  • Standard Kazrog preset manager with A/B compare.
  • Compensated internal bypass.
  • Advanced panels with power user options such as oversampling control, sidechain LPF/HPF, and Zero Latency mode for realtime tracking.

Price: $79.99

Link -> https://kazrog.com/collections/audio.../true-dynamics





Update: Mix With Mike walkthrough/review...


Last edited by b0se; 25th March 2020 at 10:44 PM..
Old 18th March 2020
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Kazrog plugin demos are time-unlimited, but have silent output every so often. Also, preset save is disabled. Purchasing the plugin removes these restrictions.

why do developers do this with things that require critical listening?
Old 18th March 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
The LA-1B sounds fantastic on vocals, especially pushed hard and in parallel. Back to testing on other sources...

Great release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazFromtheManor View Post
Kazrog plugin demos are time-unlimited, but have silent output every so often. Also, preset save is disabled. Purchasing the plugin removes these restrictions.

why do developers do this with things that require critical listening?
The silent output isn't very frequent, I didn't find it annoying or off-putting while testing vs other plugins. Plenty of time to A/B compare.


Update: It's worth it for the ITA LA1B alone imo, damn fine compressor. Very good at raising RMS and adding size.

Try it on the mixbus with 3-4dB GR, 140Hz HP sidechain and 0.1s release. Sounds fantastic!

Last edited by b0se; 18th March 2020 at 12:13 PM..
Old 18th March 2020
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

I am so excited - hope it can be a good complement to the Kush AR-1 and with the same sound quality
Old 18th March 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Here's two files (highest quality MP3 @ 48K, dithered) with TD on and off (sample audio from the mastering compressor test thread).

Peak difference is just 0.1dB.

Settings:



3-4dB GR.

Edit: Although different, I've added Pulsar Mu as a sound reference/comparison.
Attached Files

TrueDyn-OFF.mp3 (744.4 KB, 11942 views)

TrueDyn-ON.mp3 (744.4 KB, 12057 views)

TrueDyn-PulsarMU.mp3 (744.4 KB, 11856 views)

Old 18th March 2020
  #6
Gear Head
 

41A is thick and LA1-B is lush. as written in the manual
Old 18th March 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Here's two files (highest quality MP3 @ 48K, dithered) with TD on and off (sample audio from the mastering compressor test thread).

Peak difference is just 0.1dB.

Settings:



3-4dB GR.

Edit: Although different, I've added Pulsar Mu as a sound reference/comparison.
TrueDyn-On sounds the best to me.
Old 18th March 2020
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Used this on a mix last night: the LA-1B across the drum bus (with no other compression) and the P41-A on the bass. Sounds FANTASTIC !!

Since the attack and ratio is fixed on both flavors of this plug, I find the Mix knob extra-useful for getting the proper level of squash (that is, not too much). So glad there's a Mix knob....a little bit of heavy squash mixed in is a completely different sound than 100% of light compression.
Old 18th March 2020
  #9
Gear Head
 
vsignet's Avatar
 

Just bought this in a bout of isolationist irrationality.

I like its simplicity and from initial tests it suits the project i'm working on perfectly. Prefer the LA-1B so far. Avoiding plugin honeymoon is impossible but lush is definitely the right word to describe it.

It seems a bit grabby on certain material but maybe i'm overdoing it. Curious about the reception.

Old 18th March 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
TrueDyn-On sounds the best to me.
Agreed, it's more open (brighter/wider) and suits the track better. Following it up with a bit of clipping via Boz Big/Little Clipper works very well indeed.
Old 18th March 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

I don't know. I somehow don't like compressor action on this. I prefer Arturia STA or even Fuse audio vari-mu and levelers to this. I had high expectations based on True Iron, but I find I am getting better results with other comps combined with True Iron than True Dynamics ones.
Old 18th March 2020
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Sacha's Avatar
Awesome squishy action, nice to see some different things getting modeled and the CPU usage is good even with high oversampling.
Old 18th March 2020
  #13
Gear Maniac
How long will the sale price last? Stuck in home quarantine at the moment and am mixing from home. Feel that just getting things to work is enough of a challenge without adding new plugins, but I also suspect that this is right up my alley.
Old 18th March 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Lesha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheninja View Post
How long will the sale price last? Stuck in home quarantine at the moment and am mixing from home. Feel that just getting things to work is enough of a challenge without adding new plugins, but I also suspect that this is right up my alley.
If I am not mistaken the intro offer should end today, it was announced here: Kazrog Announcing True Dynamics
Old 18th March 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Kazrog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
If I am not mistaken the intro offer should end today, it was announced here: Kazrog Announcing True Dynamics
Pre-sale pricing has already ended, yes!
Old 18th March 2020
  #16
Gear Maniac
But when will the 79.99 price go up to 99.99?
Old 18th March 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazFromtheManor View Post
Kazrog plugin demos are time-unlimited, but have silent output every so often. Also, preset save is disabled. Purchasing the plugin removes these restrictions.

why do developers do this with things that require critical listening?
Why? Because of guys like Captain Hook and Sparrow
Old 18th March 2020
  #18
Lives for gear
 
nichttuntun's Avatar
 

Any known problems with VST3 version on Win Systems using Cubase 8Pro?

Completely broke everything up. Sound went irreversible to right mono channel. After new start, the Compressor distorted everything, no matter the settings and when I touched the volume knob it went into producing nasty overdriven sine-wave like sounds as an additional layer over the regular sound-source. There seems something went drastically wrong.

I check out the VST2 version next.
Old 18th March 2020
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Kazrog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Any known problems with VST3 version on Win Systems using Cubase 8Pro?

Completely broke everything up. Sound went irreversible to right mono channel. After new start, the Compressor distorted everything, no matter the settings and when I touched the volume knob it went into producing nasty overdriven sine-wave like sounds as an additional layer over the regular sound-source. There seems something went drastically wrong.

I check out the VST2 version next.
No known issues with Cubase 8. Perhaps a buffer underrun issue there? Open a support ticket if you need help.
Old 18th March 2020
  #20
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheninja View Post
But when will the 79.99 price go up to 99.99?
Seems like you desperately want this to be $99.99. Good luck!
Old 18th March 2020
  #21
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube63 View Post
Seems like you desperately want this to be $99.99. Good luck!
It was a fair question, no? Pre-order price was 59.99 IIRC.
Old 18th March 2020
  #22
Gear Maniac
yeeees! Released! Time to demo
Old 18th March 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
 

I need more compressors like I need more TP. Still I am looking forward to feedback on this one.
Old 18th March 2020
  #24
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I need more compressors like I need more TP. Still I am looking forward to feedback on this one.
iam in quaratane since 5 days got 100 euro left and after testing it for half an hour bought it today.

Iam very happy with the sound quality.(blabla nearest to analog, the compression and saturation sounds very pleasing) and its low on the cpu. The downside is it has no Sidechain input and no Trim function.
Old 18th March 2020
  #25
Lives for gear
 
nichttuntun's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog View Post
No known issues with Cubase 8. Perhaps a buffer underrun issue there? Open a support ticket if you need help.
Hi. I raised the buffer and that´s it. Works fine. Hadn´t experienced such a behavoir in live situation yet. Had to raise it relatively high to make it work.

It´s great for shaping drums and cleaning/tighten up. The coloration is fine. All in all nothing too crazy but a good addition. Solid sounding.

I tried to drive it extreme hard with plus 30db via the channel gain-input but I couldn´t get it into heavy distortion.

I really do wish an output trim into negative values too. Cheers
Old 19th March 2020
  #26
Lives for gear
 
nichttuntun's Avatar
 

Hi again, I made a cool drums treatment demo with Cubase to show the power of your new Compressors but unfortunately it´s completely impossible to make a mixdown in Cubase, when using True Dynamics. I tried it several times even in new projects and different settings. Every single time the same heavy error was shown and Cubase had to be shut down. It´s the first plugin I had such a behavoir. All your other plugins work perfectly in several projects without any problems. I already wondered about the high buffer size it needs, what I find completely strange and I don´t know that from any other of my (100+) plugins. Somethings seems to be messed up in the code. Anyone else experienced such strange things?
Win7 / 64bit/ Cubase8Pro
Old 19th March 2020
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
MDE and TrackComp blow it away after testing myself
Still have to test them Arturia compressors some day
Old 19th March 2020
  #28
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
I’ll pick this up just to support these boys...

And I need another comp about as much as I need more of my kids stuck at home with me because of this zombie apocalypse school closure
Old 19th March 2020
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Kazrog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Hi again, I made a cool drums treatment demo with Cubase to show the power of your new Compressors but unfortunately it´s completely impossible to make a mixdown in Cubase, when using True Dynamics. I tried it several times even in new projects and different settings. Every single time the same heavy error was shown and Cubase had to be shut down. It´s the first plugin I had such a behavoir. All your other plugins work perfectly in several projects without any problems. I already wondered about the high buffer size it needs, what I find completely strange and I don´t know that from any other of my (100+) plugins. Somethings seems to be messed up in the code. Anyone else experienced such strange things?
Win7 / 64bit/ Cubase8Pro
Really sorry you're experiencing issues. At this time, it appears that there are issues under certain conditions in Cubase with ASIO Guard enabled. Try disabling ASIO Guard for the time being. If you're still experiencing issues, please open a support ticket so I can help you more specifically based on your config.

A bug fix update is in the works to address some edge case host-specific issues discovered post-release.
Old 19th March 2020
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Kazrog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
MDE and TrackComp blow it away after testing myself
Still have to test them Arturia compressors some day
All of those are great plugins!

What you prefer for your music is ultimately subjective. The goal of True Dynamics was not to build the ultimate compressor plugin for everyone (far from it!) Instead, the goal was to accurately emulate two specific, rare vintage units that no one has ever emulated before. If you don't like True Dynamics in your mixes, you wouldn't like the hardware either. YMMV.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump