The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kazrog True Dynamics (2x Vintage Tube Comps) Released!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
That's a great point! There are some tools I own that I don't have a great concept of in my head and can't figure out how to work them into my workflow. LA-1B just has this crazy low/lowmid push to transients that my other compressors don't do. Great for drums, bass and vocals.
That’s good.

Over time, we all develop a gut for what is the right tool. Sometimes it just comes as a flash in your mind.

It’s important to continue to develop that intuition because therein lies our individual style and taste. As we spend more time with our tools They leave an impression: dark, crunchy, thick, transparent, edgy, smooth, harsh, etc.

While it’s great to compare notes on GS, it’s also important to follow those gut feelings as they develop. They will largely not be in agreement with many others, and that is more than OK. It’s actually essential to development.

Anyway, I prefer the other one! LOL
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
That’s good.

Over time, we all develop a gut for what is the right tool. Sometimes it just comes as a flash in your mind.

It’s important to continue to develop that intuition because therein lies our individual style and taste. As we spend more time with our tools They leave an impression: dark, crunchy, thick, transparent, edgy, smooth, harsh, etc.

While it’s great to compare notes on GS, it’s also important to follow those gut feelings as they develop. They will largely not be in agreement with many others, and that is more than OK. It’s actually essential to development.

Anyway, I prefer the other one! LOL
This is an interesting side topic that I've thought about, but has never put into words.

Why do you prefer the other model?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
This is an interesting side topic that I've thought about, but has never put into words.

Why do you prefer the other model?
Good question... I haven't spent much time with it yet; but my impression is P41-A is more open and clear, while LA-1B is darker and muddier. That being said...

I am reviewing True Dynamics for Synth & Software magazine and will be putting it to more serious testing soon. I'm not deep enough into its use to comment much beyond that at the moment.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Good question... I haven't spent much time with it yet; but my impression is P41-A is more open and clear, while LA-1B is darker and muddier. That being said...

I am reviewing True Dynamics for Synth & Software magazine and will be putting it to more serious testing soon. I'm not deep enough into its use to comment much beyond that at the moment.

I didn't even know about that magazine! I did a little work with Geary in Atlanta back in the 80's or early 90's -great guy! Please update us here when the article comes out!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
I didn't even know about that magazine! I did a little work with Geary in Atlanta back in the 80's or early 90's -great guy! Please update us here when the article comes out!
Yeah, cool! Will do. I’m actually down in Macon currently. Geary is up in Asheville NC now.

The new Synth & Software magazine is cool... Geary, Jim Aiken, Mike Levine, Marty Cutler, Gino Robair, me, several others.... a lot of the writers from the heyday of Keyboard, Mix and Electronic Musician. Honored to be included.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good question... I haven't spent much time with it yet; but my impression is P41-A is more open and clear, while LA-1B is darker and muddier.
That's what I'm hearing, although I wouldnt describe the LA-1B as muddier, I'd say it was beefier.

And I'm a vegetarian.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
That's what I'm hearing, although I wouldnt describe the LA-1B as muddier, I'd say it was beefier.

And I'm a vegetarian.
Absolutely. No mud at all
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Arg, I really did not want to like this and/or buy yet another compressor plugin. But, it is great.

To me, True Dynamics is the missing SoundToys compressor. Tons of character and mojo, without being overbearing. It reminds me a little bit of Devil-Loc, but Devil-Loc gets very gnarly, very quickly, and to me, Devil-Loc is not suitable for general compression duties.

I did a little shootout today with TD, Smart:Comp, Klanghelms, DMG, The Glue, bx_opto, etc. They're all great. But, once I buy True Dynamics, my main two compressors will be True Dynamics and Smart:Comp.

TD for when I am doing sound design and character compression. Maybe occasionally on busses.

Smart:Comp for when I want transparent mixing compression.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone1313 View Post
Arg, I really did not want to like this and/or buy yet another compressor plugin. But, it is great.

To me, True Dynamics is the missing SoundToys compressor. Tons of character and mojo, without being overbearing. It reminds me a little bit of Devil-Loc, but Devil-Loc gets very gnarly, very quickly, and to me, Devil-Loc is not suitable for general compression duties.

I did a little shootout today with TD, Smart:Comp, Klanghelms, DMG, The Glue, bx_opto, etc. They're all great. But, once I buy True Dynamics, my main two compressors will be True Dynamics and Smart:Comp.

TD for when I am doing sound design and character compression. Maybe occasionally on busses.

Smart:Comp for when I want transparent mixing compression.
Would it make sense to compare just the Vari Mu compressors to each another?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Would it make sense to compare just the Vari Mu compressors to each another?
It would indeed. If one wants to get clinical.

In my case, I wanted a “thing that controls dynamics with V I B E” to go with my other main dynamics controller. With those two main categories and my ears, the aforementioned compressors will be my starting points.

I may occasionally employ a 76, LA2A, E, etc. for certain classic cases, or whenever I am not getting what I want out of the first two.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search