The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
APS Klasik 2020
Old 9th March 2020
APS Klasik 2020

Not affiliated with APS, but i very much liked the old version of the Klasiks which imho was a great bang for the buck. Very happy to see they adressed the few downsides ( port noise at higher spl and the spl in general) and much more, while the price stays the same. They’re marketing is non existent, these should be much wider spread. Combine very well with my Amphion one 15.

http://www.aps-company.com/klasik-20...Ud0fxKxAyj_jco
Old 10th March 2020
Lives for gear

I have the original Klasiks here. Curious to see reviews...
Old 10th March 2020
I own the original APS Klasik´s as well as a second set of monitoring, eager to hear how the 2020 version does in comparison...
Old 11th March 2020
Lives for gear

Same. The Klasiks I have are simply excellent, not sure I'll upgrade ^^'.
Old 7th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hey,

I have just ordered a set!

Ray (the gatekeeper @APS) had a small batch incoming since some time now.
Tomorrow he'll send me a pair of Klasik 2020s.

Since I had to get rid of my Monitor Audio Silver 300 floorstanders with NC400 Monoblocks because wife -.-

I need to switch to smaller speakers (max. 6/7"), the Klasiks will have to fill in big shoes :D

cheers
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3forge View Post
Hey,

I have just ordered a set!

Ray (the gatekeeper @APS) had a small batch incoming since some time now.
Tomorrow he'll send me a pair of Klasik 2020s.

Since I had to get rid of my Monitor Audio Silver 300 floorstanders with NC400 Monoblocks because wife -.-

I need to switch to smaller speakers (max. 6/7"), the Klasiks will have to fill in big shoes :D

cheers
have you thought of the Monitor Audio Radius 270?
very elegant for home usage.. never mix on those.. but is surprising for such a small and skinny tower to get that kind of sound.. quite fullbodied, without the usual mud found on small speakers..
Monitor Audio does great stuff indeed..

let us know your thoughts on the new aps..

Cheu
Old 11th April 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aves View Post
Not affiliated with APS, but i very much liked the old version of the Klasiks which imho was a great bang for the buck. Very happy to see they adressed the few downsides ( port noise at higher spl and the spl in general) and much more, while the price stays the same. They’re marketing is non existent, these should be much wider spread. Combine very well with my Amphion one 15.

http://www.aps-company.com/klasik-20...Ud0fxKxAyj_jco
I got my 2020s 3/4 weeks ago.
I am no expert
I had some old hs80m and the improvement is significant. I almost cried while listening to my reference tracks.

Also had some focal 6be in the studio a while back.
Klasik 2020s are WAY better. Proper 3d sound.
Imaging is superb too.
Very impressed
Old 17th April 2020
Gear Addict

Hey guys!

My Klasik 2020's are on the way. First studio monitors for my home after 12 years of being a sound engineer (At work I've used big Genelecs, 8000 series Genelecs, and Focal CMS 65s)

Now I need to sort out the stands. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of these ones: https://www.thomann.ae/millenium_flo..._stand_dm1.htm

But it's a little annoying that there is no lip to prevent the speaker from sliding if I tilt them down. Any suggestions?
Old 18th April 2020
Gear Head

I am really interested to hear how these perform compared to the original. I demo'd the original and loved them but at the time needed the money for something else. If these are even better I may well invest
Old 21st April 2020
Gear Head
APS Klasik 2020 - introduction / Q&A

https://youtu.be/Ey18vPMHC7E
Old 21st April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knstntn View Post
APS Klasik 2020 - introduction / Q&A

https://youtu.be/Ey18vPMHC7E
What is the white loudspeaker in the back? A new “improved” ported coax based on the aeon2 port design?

Cheu
Old 21st April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
What is the white loudspeaker in the back? A new “improved” ported coax based on the aeon2 port design?

Cheu
I'm not sure either but he said he has the Aeons with the "extenders". So maybe bass extenders?
Old 21st April 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post

Cheu
I think it's AEON2 Bass Extender
Old 22nd April 2020
Lives for gear

and what about the three-way behind the white one? A trinity with ports?
Old 22nd April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
and what about the three-way behind the white one? A trinity with ports?
During the live stream he claimed that it was a prototype for the Trinity that was never put into production
Old 22nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it's AEON2 Bass Extender
Oh..ok..
I was almost excited to see a very compact coax design (there’s a small diy project on the seas website, which is interesting, besides the loki mkIII).

This is it:

http://www.seas.no/images/stories/pr...FC_AppNote.pdf

Cheu
Old 22nd April 2020
Lives for gear
I've had a set of APS Coax for years, and loved them. I've been recommending Klasiks to my students for a couple of years now, and they're all super satisfied with their purchases, contributing to much improved mixes from them.

Great monitors, excellent customer service as well.
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Head
Happy user of the "old" Klasiks here. Just watched the Q&A on youtube and the new version seems to be promising. Still don't know if its worth the hassle to sell the old ones and get the new ones...

Also by looking on the spec sheet I found out the old ones go down to 35Hz whereas the 2020s "only" go down to 39Hz.
Old 23rd April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ99 View Post
Happy user of the "old" Klasiks here. Just watched the Q&A on youtube and the new version seems to be promising. Still don't know if its worth the hassle to sell the old ones and get the new ones...

Also by looking on the spec sheet I found out the old ones go down to 35Hz whereas the 2020s "only" go down to 39Hz.
Less bass ? Boooo !
Joke aside, I'm in the same exact situation. I think I'm just going to forget about the 2020 version for a few years. I remember at some point I upgraded my headphone set for the "better" model, only to realize I liked the old one much better.
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Addict

Look what's just arrived

edit: yikes dont know why it's gotten flipped sideways
Attached Thumbnails
APS Klasik 2020-dsc_2408.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
Hey guys!

My Klasik 2020's are on the way. First studio monitors for my home after 12 years of being a sound engineer (At work I've used big Genelecs, 8000 series Genelecs, and Focal CMS 65s)

Now I need to sort out the stands. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of these ones: https://www.thomann.ae/millenium_flo..._stand_dm1.htm

But it's a little annoying that there is no lip to prevent the speaker from sliding if I tilt them down. Any suggestions?
No matter the stands you get (I used to have some from Thomann that were just fine, now I've build some as a part of my desk), do yourself a favor and insert some sorbothane bumpers between them and your Klasiks :

An inexpensive speaker tweak that works!

TL; DR: 30 duro is the way to go

Much better than say, Iso Acoustics, and less expensive.
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
No matter the stands you get (I used to have some from Thomann that were just fine, now I've build some as a part of my desk), do yourself a favor and insert some sorbothane bumpers between them and your Klasiks :

An inexpensive speaker tweak that works!

TL; DR: 30 duro is the way to go

Much better than say, Iso Acoustics, and less expensive.
Great! Thanks a lot for the tip. Will get them ASAP
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Addict

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbo...%2C322&sr=1-21

Seems like this one will be perfect for the weight of the Klasiks
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbo...%2C322&sr=1-21

Seems like this one will be perfect for the weight of the Klasiks
I use Sorbothane for my AEON2.
It costs every dollar spent.

What do you think about Klasik 2020?
Attached Thumbnails
APS Klasik 2020-2020-04-23-18.08.44.jpg  
Old 24th April 2020
Here for the gear

I have a pair of the 2020s coming to me in the US in a week and a half or so. I bought direct from APS. Interesting thing for all the Americans here: they do in fact have an 115V model of the Klasik 2020s which is what I got. Price is also still lower, even after international shipping, than stuff like the HEDD and the Adams as well. Can't wait to give them a listen.
Old 24th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinx7 View Post
I have a pair of the 2020s coming to me in the US in a week and a half or so. I bought direct from APS. Interesting thing for all the Americans here: they do in fact have an 115V model of the Klasik 2020s which is what I got. Price is also still lower, even after international shipping, than stuff like the HEDD and the Adams as well. Can't wait to give them a listen.
Let us know what you think!
Old 24th April 2020
Lives for gear

Guys, this might be a bit OT, but I have been seeing APS Klasik recommended often here on GS. I never heard them or even considered them when thinking of upgrading monitors until recently. As many people, my interest was always focused on the typical brands, sooooo.....for users that have experience with APS Klasik (old or 2020): What makes them stand out? Right now I use Yamaha HS8 and Presonus Eris (as second speakers) and would like to hear some user experiences about frequency response, transients, ear fatigue, translation etc.

Anybody can comment?
Old 24th April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
I use Sorbothane for my AEON2.
It costs every dollar spent.

What do you think about Klasik 2020?
So far I really like them, even though they are sitting on the plastic foam packaging from the box until my speaker stands arrive from Thomann. I come from a background of using big/ small Genelecs for 5 years and 2 years of Focal CMS 65.

If I was to describe them in a nutshell, I would say, Very natural sound, but with just enough low-end punch.

I also think that the 7" mid-woofers are perfect for typical bedroom/ living room sizes. 5" speakers I just find un-exciting to work on, even if they are accurate...
Old 24th April 2020
Here is my experience while having used them for about 2,5 years (original version, not 2020, of course) as a second "small" set of monitors for my mastering:

Pro:
- very low noise, even very close to them
- no electric 50/60hz hum (thanks to switchable ground lift)
- rather flat frequency response that reaches pretty low if using the extension switch at the back, although at the cost of some increase in THD < 100Hz (you just can´t make up for the fact that it is a 7" woofer that has to work very hard) and although I had them room-corrected EQ-wise with MathAudio RoomEQ with a calibrated measurement mic
- pretty smooth and detailed overall soundstage and stereo-image
- all the masters I´ve double checked on them and that sounded good on them, also sounded good and pretty much any other system afterward (again remember though that I had them EQ corrected to the room!)
- They´ve been able to handle my rather drastic room correction EQ which flattened them down to 27Hz (+-0.5dB), which is brutally good for a 7" woofer.
- Good bang for the buck for sure, never regretted having bought them!

Cons:
- Port noise at low frequencies (< 50Hz) has been terrible, so far that I have partially closed them with some foam material as I couldn´t stand the ugly noise However, they have addressed that in the 2020 version as I see, so that might be fixed now.
- If you are looking for really deep bass and flattening of frequency response via Room EQ, be prepared for some hefty bass-boosts being done and then be prepared to not being able to listen "loud" anymore, as the 7" woofers will start rattling and increasing THD pretty quick. But if you want to listen at low / moderate levels, they can handle even that just fine. However, that is also something they seem to have addressed in the 2020 version, as the woofer is now allowed to have more excursion.

So overall, I think the cons I´ve listed will most likely be gone with the 2020 versions and if you are looking for some decent monitors ~$1000, then the APS Klasik ware the way to go in my opinion. So why have I sold them? I am now using the KS Digital C88 Reference as a second set of monitors and they are a completely different league, to be honest, but they are more than double the price, so that is fully OK and they give a boot to most other monitors anyway (even more expensive ones and nearly my big mains too).

So my recommendation: get the Klasik 2020 ;-)
Old 24th April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Guys, this might be a bit OT, but I have been seeing APS Klasik recommended often here on GS. I never heard them or even considered them when thinking of upgrading monitors until recently. As many people, my interest was always focused on the typical brands, sooooo.....for users that have experience with APS Klasik (old or 2020): What makes them stand out? Right now I use Yamaha HS8 and Presonus Eris (as second speakers) and would like to hear some user experiences about frequency response, transients, ear fatigue, translation etc.

Anybody can comment?
I hope somebody who has proper experience with Yamaha HS8 can confirm what I am guestimating from my research- that the Klasiks will have a more natural sound with more information in the midrange than the HS8 which might sound more "scooped" in comparison.

Also APS is a more boutique company which take their time in designing their monitor systems. Yamaha and Presonus are awesome companies but they are more mass produced style and perhaps have to cut more corners with materials and design...
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear