The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tone Projects announces Unisum Mastering Compressor
Old 10th August 2020
unr
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Why is everyone so obsessed with presets for a mastering compressor?
I guess it's about the "Advanced" presets, which sets the style of the compressor.
Not the folded normal view.

So actually people are interested in compression flavors, similar as it is in Compassion's Mod Presets.
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Because so many different parameters are adjustable, which leads to so many various results, and there's only limited time in our life
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because it's also a very powerful compressor for mixing.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because this is the age of the presets lol. Soon presets will be a thing of the past making way for AI technology and we will remember how we used to trawl through the presets wasting time...
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because to each own. Some people use them as starting points and some don't (I don't)
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

I don't use presets that much. But in this plugin I'm finding them extremely useful.

First because they are very well done. Second, because Unisum has lots of options, so you can learn a lot choosing a preset and messing with it, seeing how it was done.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I don't use presets that much. But in this plugin I'm finding them extremely useful.

First because they are very well done. Second, because Unisum has lots of options, so you can learn a lot choosing a preset and messing with it, seeing how it was done.
^ This. I've learnt a lot from studying the presets for each particular type of compression, the guys who made them know what they're doing :¬)
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Win95hy is everyone so obsessed with presets for a mastering compressor?
Because it is Unisum. Flexible, advanced, pro. Adjustable. Presets for starting point. Program dependent, but may work if tweak further.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

.. because it is so program dependent (that is, it morphs it's attack, release and ratio according to incoming program material) presets tend to work better than on other compressors. You usually just need to do minor tweaks mainly to the main release and the threshold to fit any given preset to it's intended use.

Release being the main control for controlling how it "flows" with your track. Threshold for the actual amount of gain reduction you want to achieve. Now you could further tweak attack for the punch or squeeze you want.. and perhaps Dry/Wet mix to blend in some of the original groove and dynamics.

The more program dependent a processor is, the less you usually require to tweak things to make them fit for complex program material. This is what makes some analogue compressors so great and so easy to use. A prime example being any Vari-Mu type compressor.. or even some Opto compressors (for instance LA-2A and it's siblings).

Having said that, presets are great for sharing and exploring ideas. Especially when it comes to really capable and complex devices (synths, complex effects processors with tens or hundreds of parameters etc). Very rarely are they meant to "just work".. even though some do.

I absolutely love abusing processors like Unisum. Exploring the unknown. For instance, now that we have a lot of control over the 'ratio' parameter and how it is modulated, the 2nd envelope actually gets a lot more complex as well because it too takes it's ratio from the same source. Thus you can set the 2nd envelope to 100% and use the whole multiband ratio/weight thing to abuse the behavior of that envelope detector and basically get a completely separate compressor with it's own character.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unisum is so flexible because of its detector. Learning what the beta testers are doing with it, is actually a great starting point.
Old 11th August 2020
Motown legend

I think of it as a kit. The presets are as different as choosing between completely different compressors.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly! From source to source, from track to track, settings needs to be adjusted. Which doesn't last an hour. Or more. So I really agree with this observation. And with preset dependancy in general. I'm not judging. Just saying.
Old 11th August 2020
DSK
Lives for gear

My god this plugin is amazing. Definitely purchase of the year for me....

After I filled my "dirt" needs with emulations I've been looking more and more into surgical tools.

Honestly this year for me has been a revelation, seriously working with these digital towards their inherent strengths (flexibility, transparency, resolution, control).

It all started last year with the Weiss compressor limiter, added some Sonnox.. and this one is just... Incredible!
I think this one may be one of the best compressors in the world, OTB or ITB, doesn't matter I really feel there is nothing to lose with using it as you could always dial down the effect.

It's so deeeeeep as well! And everything has this smoothness (working at 96k really helps getting those delicate transient changes it inflicts)

Has a very 3D movement, not dissimilar to the Weiss, but still different enough to warrant both!

Honestly I finally feel ITB compression is more than just an effect, it's a serious transformative process that can dynamically shape your audio in amazing ways.

Just WOW

Last edited by DSK; 11th August 2020 at 09:08 PM..
Old 12th August 2020
plx
Gear Addict

Quote:
i'd say "ikr, what dumbasses" for every compressor i tried except this one.
because getting the hang of the advanced section takes some time, and presets can help you get started.
i've read the manual twice and if i haven't used it for a week i'm still "what does this button do again? why isn't this damn "LED" doing anything it was wiggling just last week when i turned this"
Old 15th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I think of it as a kit. The presets are as different as choosing between completely different compressors.
Indeed! Each preset is a totally different compressor.

At first instantiation, I messed with the many parameters, but I ended up looking at the presets to help learn what is going on, and to get to a place, a type of compression behavior quickly. And I am usually pretty unconcerned with presets.

Unisum is deeeeeep. We have to do the calculus ourselves in the case of Unisum. I consider that a good thing.

Mostly, I've been starting with presets now, something I haven't been able to (or had to) say about most plugins for a long time.

There is a lot of there there.

Last edited by ericbridenbaker; 15th August 2020 at 10:53 AM..
Old 15th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
i'd say "ikr, what dumbasses" for every compressor i tried except this one.
because getting the hang of the advanced section takes some time, and presets can help you get started.
i've read the manual twice and if i haven't used it for a week i'm still "what does this button do again? why isn't this damn "LED" doing anything it was wiggling just last week when i turned this"
Yes, I've been thinking 5 to 10 to 20 manual readings to really know one's way around this one.
Old 18th August 2020
Here for the gear
after all of the many recommendations from some of the trusted GS mainstays, and seeing Unisum pop up in the Acustica threads, I didn't even demo it. happened to catch it while it was on sale, but even at the full price I would have thrown my money at them... was actually looking REALLY hard at DMG's TC2, but I just feel like I'm good for a while with this! LOL!

already used it on a handful of projects and while I keep reading how "deep" and "tweakable" Unisum is, I very much appreciate how easy it is to get a vibe and great sound without digging so deep! so much to uncover, but still able to put it to use right away!

and while this may not be a major factor for sum (yep), I LOVE the UI experience! certainly makes for easy navigation, which in turn makes the learning part more enjoyable... well done all around!
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear
I find Unisum surprisingly intuitive and fast to operate for such a versatile tool. Stellar compressor really.
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear
Many engineers have their compressors set permanently on certain parameters and they then mix into them, without touching anything on the compressor. Presets are also good starting points to further tweaking.
For example if you find using similar settings for your kick, it makes sense to create a preset and then tweak it from there. It saves time.
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Unisum V1.1.1 now available

New in version 1.1.1:

- IMPROVED: Internal bypass is now latency compensated and host bypassing has been smoothed to prevent clicks.

- FIX: xRatio Slow/Peak and RMS/Peak speed settings could cause clicks with certain bass heavy material.

- FIX: Next/Previous preset buttons didn't browse the expected directory after using the Load button.

- Minor updates to factory presets.

Want to support future updates?
There are many exciting new features planned for Unisum, but we also need to balance the time we spend working on free updates versus new products. If you want to support the continuous improvement of Unisum and allow us to prioritize working on updates, you can do so by making a small donation here.
Old 25th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
New in version 1.1.1:

- IMPROVED: Internal bypass is now latency compensated and host bypassing has been smoothed to prevent clicks.

- FIX: xRatio Slow/Peak and RMS/Peak speed settings could cause clicks with certain bass heavy material.

- FIX: Next/Previous preset buttons didn't browse the expected directory after using the Load button.

- Minor updates to factory presets.

Want to support future updates?
There are many exciting new features planned for Unisum, but we also need to balance the time we spend working on free updates versus new products. If you want to support the continuous improvement of Unisum and allow us to prioritize working on updates, you can do so by making a small donation here.
Why ask for a donation to update the product when you're already selling it? Aren't customers entitled to fixes (read as updates) when they purchase the product?
Old 25th August 2020
Here for the gear
For whatever reason in 1.1.1 the link knobs function is broken in Logic Pro. Works fine in Pro Tools.
Old 25th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Why ask for a donation to update the product when you're already selling it? Aren't customers entitled to fixes (read as updates) when they purchase the product?
I agree with you. Nonetheless, he asks for donations for 'faster' updates.
Old 25th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed, and when asking for donations there should be a roadmap detailing which features are planned / needed funding. Akin to Kickstarter levels or Patreon access.

I'd rather buy another product (or upgrade for a more functional version) than send an ambiguous donation anyway, at least you know what you're paying for
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I am not a part of Tone Projects, merely a customer, so I cannot provide you with proper answers. But I do trust that fixes for v1.x will manifest if needed.

From my point of view asking for a donation (for support/developing new features) is unproblematic. I can simply choose not to donate. Or I can choose to do it, if I want to.
Old 25th August 2020
Lives for gear

I won't donate for a bug fix.

I think it is in the goodwill of the developer to actually fix it so that we as users are happy and as a results we do recommend this plugins to other users. The plugin then stays relevant and popular as a wishlist for many potential buyers.
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
I am not a part of Tone Projects, merely a customer, so I cannot provide you with proper answers. But I do trust that fixes for v1.x will manifest if needed.

From my point of view asking for a donation (for support/developing new features) is unproblematic. I can simply choose not to donate. Or I can choose to do it, if I want to.
I don't know how it's unclear that he's talking about 'new features' and not bug fixes. Everytime a new plugin is released (this one included) there's dozens of posts immediately requesting features that were never in the scope of the original product. Then many (not all) will just expect and assume these features will come for free in a later update.

I got the plugin for a discount (intro price), it's been exceptional and IMO priced well below what it could have been and what I would have paid, so I have no problem 'donating'... and did. Small donation now and getting new features sooner sounds better than waiting longer and paying more for a v2.0 to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Absolutely! Updates are free, issues will be fixed and features will be added. Just like with the 3 updates released so far.

It seems I've worded this poorly, so just to be clear:
No one needs to pay anything for this or future bug fixes.

I would like to keep adding extra value to Unisum, but since updates are free I'm exploring this as a way to cover some of the development cost. It's a very fair point that it's vague, and I'll have to think about whether to improve or dump the idea. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
Rune
Old 25th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune L-H View Post
Absolutely! Updates are free, issues will be fixed and features will be added. Just like with the 3 updates released so far.

I would like to keep adding extra value to Unisum, but since updates are free I'm exploring this as a way to cover some of the development cost. It's a very fair point that it's vague, and I'll have to think about whether to improve or dump the idea. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
Rune
Hi Rune,

I really appreciate this plugin and it is instrumental to all my mastering sessions.

I would pay for a webinar session with @ bmanic @ Lagerfeldt and you to see how each one of you are using the plugin detector and how you guys came up with the preset.
Old 25th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune L-H View Post

Cheers,
Rune
Thanks for taking the time to clarify this, Rune.

Maybe just leave this v1.x as is with just bug fixes until a v2 comes up with new features and then you could charge for an update fee.
📝 Reply