The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tone Projects announces Unisum Mastering Compressor
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRyda View Post
Thats right! Even better than SHADOW HILLS MASTERING COMPRESSOR CLASS A (im my opinion)
May I ask,
From your perspective, in what way does this better than SHADOW HILLS MASTERING COMPRESSOR CLASS A?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sorry to interrupt, both are fantastic from my perspective. SH ClassA has some nifty tweaking possibilties as well but Unisum, man...no comparison possible. With Unisum you can tweak everything to the last detail with absolute precision. SH is fast to work with and uncomplicated and usable for certain situation. Unisum can be used for every sound source and come out with the result you imagine. SH is limited in this department. I use SH for mixing into it on a 2-bus or group-busses. It´s awesome on that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Sorry to interrupt, both are fantastic from my perspective. SH ClassA has some nifty tweaking possibilties as well but Unisum, man...no comparison possible. With Unisum you can tweak everything to the last detail with absolute precision. SH is fast to work with and uncomplicated and usable for certain situation. Unisum can be used for every sound source and come out with the result you imagine. SH is limited in this department. I use SH for mixing into it on a 2-bus or group-busses. It´s awesome on that.
Sounds like a high quality versatile compressor. I’ll go check it out. Thank you my friend!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by citytape View Post
Sounds like a high quality versatile compressor. I’ll go check it out. Thank you my friend!
You´re welcome. Also visit the tread on Unisum at GS. Many many veterans, firm with hardware praise this thing without an end, especially for mastering situation and 2-bus treatdment. This thing in my opinion is the next step in plugin development, not only sounding like hardware, but going far beyond hardware options too. Have joy and be sound
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Also visit the tread on Unisum at GS.
Wott? Another one?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Cent View Post
Wott? Another one?
No no no, forget it, I was flying around somewhere else. THIS IS the Unisum thread of course. Soooory
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I believe it is time for an EQ of the same incredible quality @ Rune L-H ???

G
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
@ David Carlyon :

You have some good points there: SC slope control, SC Emphasis (more control) - OK. But, in my opinion, CS slope as it is now at 12dB/oct is right on point. Maybe add continuous value up to 18dB/oct or simply 6, 12 and 18 (or even 24). When talking Emphasis - well, maybe Gain and Q control. Yes. But I think that is overkill. What I disagree, don't know is it your statement os someone else's about Att/Rel curve being synced. Unisum has pretty broad Att/Rel controls, "first" ones and additional ones. I don't think developers (and anyone else) would expect Unisum Att/Rel to "dance" in 16th notes just to name one as an example. What I would do when those additional modifiers is that their values are not in ratios but in % or in ms. I don't know. Maybe it's just taking time to get used to it.

I think Unisum has plenty of Att/Rel control. With basic oneas as well as additional conteols in the Advanced view so I'd stay at this.

Have you noticed how fine tune you can behaviour if you switch either to fast or slow (in Advanced drawer) with modifiers. Look carefully at the animated display around buttons in the main section. Tweak behaviour of modifiers and you will see how rings around main controls guide you to perfect adjustment of the whole unit!

Anyway, I am so happy I had a pleasure of trying this one and buying it in the end. It really is a new way of thinking over digital tools.

Stay safe everyone!

Krešo

Upon reading your comment i agree about the att/rel - it wouldn't make sense for a comp that breathes so much and has att and rel 'memory'
However on the SC - have you ever tried using Kotelnikov GE and using a 3db slope and setting the SC higher than you normally would?
I find this to be a fantastic and transparent way to glue a mix. I love that design. I aoso find 6db to be very useful on lots of material.

As for the emphasis, i agree gain and Q would be perfect. Even gain alone would be very useful, but with Q it would be incredible.

I think those are my two main ones to be honest. Again, i absolutely love this comp, there is nothing else like it and i will buy everything this company puts out off the back of it - so i would hate for anybody to think i am complaining.

I agree i would love to see an EQ from these guys. That would be an insta-buy for me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
I agree i would love to see an EQ from these guys. That would be an insta-buy for me.
Yes, and to avoid hyping the imaginary forthcoming release too much and add pressure for it to be beyond breathtaking, here is a suggestion for a slogan:

UnirEQuiem, your hearing just died only to live forever in audio heaven.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post

G
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
I personally don't think the world needs another straight EQ after what we just went thru with Weiss, Maat and BX Amek, however I do think they could take on Sonnox Dyn EQ and DMG Multiplicity using some of Unisom's amazing detection code and deliver a winner.

Unisum has the best sounding attack and release behavior I've heard in software (my Foote is now for sale as a result), so imagine splitting things up and being able to tackle low end shaping and de-harshing / de-essing using the same or similar envelope control as Unisum. Not to mention all the other mid band uses like shaping a snare attack in a crowded mix...

Implemented to the same degree as Unisum, it could give the venerable Maselec MLA-4 a run for its money. I know im conflating Dynamic EQ and Multiband compression, but in the software world they seem joined at the hip.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Upon reading your comment i agree about the att/rel - it wouldn't make sense for a comp that breathes so much and has att and rel 'memory'
However on the SC - have you ever tried using Kotelnikov GE and using a 3db slope and setting the SC higher than you normally would?
I find this to be a fantastic and transparent way to glue a mix. I love that design. I aoso find 6db to be very useful on lots of material.

As for the emphasis, i agree gain and Q would be perfect. Even gain alone would be very useful, but with Q it would be incredible.

I think those are my two main ones to be honest. Again, i absolutely love this comp, there is nothing else like it and i will buy everything this company puts out off the back of it - so i would hate for anybody to think i am complaining.

Yes, I have it but not the GE edition. Regarding slope on SC I agree that lighter slopes are better. As for high-pass (low-cut) are better shelves than brick-wall cuts. Too many artefacts. And from the experience, better results. On all my gear, whether outboard or ITB whenever there's an issue that needs addressing to, lowest slope makes all the difference. I have modded SSL G 4k and 300Hz with gentle slope makes great (GREAT!) SC control over signal going into compressor. ;-)

So, let me say this - I love Unisum. So far, it is the best and most versatile digital tool for the purpose of gluing stuff together. Of course it works on individual busses and tracks. But the full power is really showing on complete tracks.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
I personally don't think the world needs another straight EQ after what we just went thru with Weiss, Maat and BX Amek, however I do think they could take on Sonnox Dyn EQ and DMG Multiplicity using some of Unisom's amazing detection code and deliver a winner.

Unisum has the best sounding attack and release behavior I've heard in software (my Foote is now for sale as a result), so imagine splitting things up and being able to tackle low end shaping and de-harshing / de-essing using the same or similar envelope control as Unisum. Not to mention all the other mid band uses like shaping a snare attack in a crowded mix...

Implemented to the same degree as Unisum, it could give the venerable Maselec MLA-4 a run for its money. I know im conflating Dynamic EQ and Multiband compression, but in the software world they seem joined at the hip.
I agree to a point. The technical suggestions are the reasoning behind them seem spot on to me.

I will say that I sent @ Rune L-H a simple pleasant email about this and he responded in kind. THAT is a great example of why I would love to see an EQ come out of Tone Projects. I would be thrilled to support them again if the opportunity presented itself. PA and ST not so much, personal opinion only of course.

Stay healthy All.
G
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Yes, I have it but not the GE edition.
Side note: It's totally worth picking up, given the price - especially if you wait until it's on sale at some point from an online store (TDR only does one sale per year usually). Not as many knobs to fiddle with like Unisum, in terms of really dialing things in, but KGE is surprisingly powerful - the GE edition makes a substantial difference. I doubt it'd replace Unisum for you, but you might find yourself reaching for it for tracks where you want more transparent compression, for example, while leaving Unisum for the mixbus (or both in serial in small amounts,etc.).
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Okay I heard so much hype about this compressor. A itb compressor thats strictly math. Its the best compressor this and that and we have many great compressors but typical gearslutz people hyping it up as the holy grail. Never tried the demo until today, because so many plugins are hyped and I'm way underwhelmed.

This thing has way too many knobs for tweaking and twotting the sound. I sat down finally finally today to give it a try. And lord almighty the hype is real. This thing is THE BEST itb compressor on the market by far. I did everything possible to make it pump or sound bad and I couldn't. This thing has voodoo. Maat eqs, dseq, and this. Getting closer and closer to making hardware obsolete. Everything can be done in the box. fantastic compressor. I'm holding out on buying until I finish thus album I'm mixing as I know I'll go back and replace every compressor if I buy it now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search