The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube releases Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor plug-in
Old 3rd March 2020
News Desk Editor

Software Softube releases Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor plug-in

Softube releases Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor plug-in-germanium-compressor_2000x1200.jpg

Softube releases Chandler Limited® Germanium Compressor plug-in

Linköping, Sweden, February 21st, 2020. A highly versatile mojo machine, capable of replacing multiple plug-ins in a chain – EQ, distortion, transient designer, you name it – the Chandler Limited® Germanium Compressor is so much more than gain reduction. Engineered with an ear for music before mathematics, this is a trusty companion for producers, recording engineers, and creative musicians of all kinds.

This is a meticulous model of the Chandler Limited® hardware, tested in our lab to ensure it performs like the hardware does, for the same excellent sound quality and inspiring vibe.

The Germanium Compressor’s unique character comes from a blend of several innovative approaches. The ratio settings are tuned by ear rather than arithmetic. The dial takes you from less to more rather than fixing on especially precise numerical values. And what does it matter as long as it sounds fantastic? Knee settings are similarly artistic, named as they are after the different combinations of diodes which achieve each color of curve.

With a FET gain reduction element, the Germanium is capable of fast and heavily-saturating compression. So there’s a choice of clean or dirty compression, toggling between modes which compensate to varying degrees for the harmonic excitement naturally brought about by the unit. It’s never transparent, but you have a lot of control over Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) in this compressor.

You also have control over the speed of operation – the attack and release times can be combined to extremely musical effect. Ease off on the attack and the Germanium Compressor becomes a punchy powerhouse for drums. Slow down the release and creamy, smooth tones can be introduced to vocals or bass. Acoustic guitar can be brightened and tightened, or rock axe heated and seated in a dense mix.

The Germanium in software lets the user take advantage of exclusive features: Mid/Side Processing and External Sidechain allow you to make better-sounding mixes than ever before.

And every track this thing touches will benefit from the drive and feedback on output – this is the real secret sauce. A gain circuit which can gently caress a signal as easily as it can sizzle and sear it into submission.

All the character, the musicality, the fun of the original hardware Germanium Compressor from Chandler Limited® is right here. Whatever flavor of music you’re making, add this sound to the recipe.

Features

• A meticulous model of the Chandler Limited® Germanium Compressor that performs like the hardware
• Far from just a compressor, it’s a mojo, color and character machine that almost feels like a musical instrument
• Capable of replacing many other plug-ins used in a chain, like distortion, EQ/filter, compression, and transient designer
• Perfect for tone shaping, sound tweaking and sound designing when tracking, producing, mixing and, in some cases, even mastering
• Clean Comp / Dirty Comp settings with the ability to control the Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
• Comp Curve with its unique combination of diodes
• Attack / Release work in a musical and inspiring way, making an average drum kit go from dull
and flat sounding to tight and crisp or to fat with long decay
• Gain / Germanium Drive and Feedback give you the ability to feedback signal to the input and
control the gain the distortion and tone shaping capabilities
• Unique tones not found in any other compressor – not only in plug-in format, but in general
• Software-exclusive features: External Sidechain / External Sidechain Gain / Mid/Side Processing /
In/Out: Left/Mid | Right/Side / Output Gain
• Console 1-ready: can be used within the Console 1 mixing ecosystem

Price: USD 199 intro offer (reg. USD 249)

For more information: https://www.softube.com/products/germanium-compressor#/
Attached Thumbnails
Softube releases Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor plug-in-germanium-compressor_2000x1200.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2020
Here for the gear

Software Softube release Chandler Limited® Germanium Compressor

Last edited by The Press Desk; 3rd March 2020 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Addict

A quite unique sounding compressor.
Really cool sound when pushed/abused.
Full of character.
Old 3rd March 2020
Wasn't expencting this from Softube...I rather thought they would release the native version of the Zener Limiter.
I see there's a Zener mode, is it something close to the Zener Limiter topology ?
Anyway, I bet it sounds glorious.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Nut

yes!!! yes!!! and yes again!!! everything chandler is just great!
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

That sub bass boost is something else! Fatness
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Softube is on fire! Can't wait to install the demo and start abusing it! Also curious to know how it compares to the Zener Limiter on the UAD platform (which is also made by Softube as most people probably know already).
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Wasn't expecting this, as I thought the Zener Limiter would be first to released as native. £175 A bit pricey as usual with Softube premium release, but going to demo anyway.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Guru

Guyz i m litteraly near buying the hardware , so if this is anyhthing near , even if i find it pricey , it will make save way more lol ...

I was testing yesturday the only solid option witch is the zeer from Dmg in track comp witch is really exellent ...so death match time !! The ability to have it in C1 is a plus !!

EDIT :

Here we go guyz , a fast one lol (40 min ahah)

1) Plugin Tour (fuking crucial lol)
2) All curves
3) Drive Feedback section analysis
4) Dual mono test
5) Conclusion

Thks for watching

NB : Add to cons : No A/B and not easy to master / find the sweet spot / better mix in ...

Last edited by Jeezo; 4th March 2020 at 05:33 AM..
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Addict

With the subscriber club 30% discount it's £151

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Wasn't expecting this, as I thought the Zener Limiter would be first to released as native. £175 A bit pricey as usual with Softube premium release, but going to demo anyway.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim View Post
With the subscriber club 30% discount it's £151
witch subscriiber stuff ?
Old 3rd March 2020
unr
Gear Addict

I've been testing it for some months now and it really is something unique in plugin land. Especially using the feedback knob it's fun to experiment.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Addict

An email went out from Softube to newsletter subscribers offering a 30% off discount.

Use THEIMPERIALMARCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
witch subscriiber stuff ?
Old 3rd March 2020
Full price: USD 249
Intro price: USD 199

It is very expensive.

Plugin Alliance and Waves they do right.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
An email went out from Softube to newsletter subscribers offering a 30% off discount.

Use THEIMPERIALMARCH
Yep got it

Gain stage is key for this one , i have my input all the way down lol
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

Use THEIMPERIALMARCH
I get the same price whether I use that code or the intro code. It's $174.
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks for letting us know about the code.

The compressor seems too aggressive (never used the HW) and yeah as @ Jeezo said the gain-stage is key, I'm too running input pot on lowest (my source is already -18 dbfs!) and gain reduction reach ~5 dbs.

It seems like a mojo compressor that can not do transparent compression, the way it deals with transients is more to excite them than control them. The only comps in my folder managed to get somehow close are the ACME Opticom and UA 175-B.*

There's is something in the SC filter, on 60hz cutoff with some dry mixed in the bottom-end of the drums bus is fat and solid like nothing else!

I do have the Curve Bender EQ, while it's an EQ but I can tell they come from the same sonic family and that really tells Softube did a good job here. Would love some AB from people with the HW unit.

I think Softube lost the opportunity to make the VU support I/O readout beside the GR.

Edit:
* Seems like the AA Gold comp can get a similar results too.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Addict

Yeah i agree, the input is way too hot on this one.
This is the first compressor that i have tried in ages that really didn't work for me. I guess this unit is not for my taste. It just spits and pops the transients more like an expander. Besides it adds a HUGE ass low bump even with the wet/dry knob 100% on the dry setting. Almost 8db at 25 hz, does the original do that?

Phew, money saved.
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

No demo?
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Nut

The low-end bump on this thing puts even El Rey to shame! Wow. Pretty much unusable on the mix bus for stuff that already has a lot of low-end.

Is the hardware actually like this?
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Code: INTROSUBCLUB
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Nut

I didn't demo, I just bought and it's giving me butterflies from what it sounds on my vocals. I've everything Softube
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

A little pricey for me...
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Guru

About the gainstage it depends on the curve choosen , the more agressive the curve the more it s reacting , headroom knob like PA would be great instead of headling two set of control ...

It def have the hw mojo guyz , that snap , grab without being clicky is tipical , with the ability to get punch and snap with body , love it , at least on acosutic ....
Vu just near too small .... gui could be a liitle better imho ...( but it s because it ssoftube lol i know what they re capable of)
Old 3rd March 2020
I like it now lol

Last edited by cyjanopan; 6th March 2020 at 05:04 PM..
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Guru

Guyz , i'm using it on acoustic drums but not sure , need to analyse but clean comp calm down the bump
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Music View Post
Full price: USD 249
Intro price: USD 199

It is very expensive.

Plugin Alliance and Waves they do right.
Boy have times changed. Lol!

I remember one Drawmer plugin, and many others, going for $750+.

These days anything over $50...
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbeats View Post
The low-end bump on this thing puts even El Rey to shame! Wow. Pretty much unusable on the mix bus for stuff that already has a lot of low-end.

Is the hardware actually like this?
I use a matched pair of hardware on the Mixbus. But I always mix into my mix bus processing.

Just slapping stuff on at the end...

Will check this plugin when I get some downtime.
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

I'm reading many have gain staging problems? Right? Way too hot signal, mainly ITB workflows I suppose?

These tools are made for soft touch sort of speak. A levels way lower than modern hot production.

Would you say if levels were as low as when all was done with outboard gear and thru consoles, with way larger dynamic range on most of recorded signals would you say units like these then are showing their tru face?

Just a thought, just a thought...

Anyway, great news from Softube! I really like how 2020 started.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Guru

@ Softube

output gain : a +/- 12db switch is absolutly needed , we need resolution bewteen 12 and 24 !! even iw the crtl click for fine adjust is here
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search