The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fuse Audio Labs releases the VPRE-2C
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Addict

Software Fuse Audio Labs releases the VPRE-2C

VPRE-2C VINTAGE TUBE BOOSTER RELEASE / VCL-25A SALE

BRAND NEW PLUGIN

The VPRE-2C is an authentic recreation of an early 1950s booster amplifier, adding carefully tuned features in the digital domain. The VPRE-2C is a very simple, yet effective and versatile processor requiring only a few mouse clicks to introduce some serious vintage vibe to your signals. Fuse Audio Labs has rebuilt the original circuit using a set of NOS tubes and modern transformers.

On sale for only $24.50 ($49 regular) until the 7th of March.

Download your fully functional 14-day trial here!

50% OFF THE VCL-25A

Get the VCL-25A for only $34.50 ($69 regular) until the 22nd of February. Use the following voucher at checkout: G9PY-7C3B-V25S

TRIALS AND PLUGIN ACTIVATION

You can test our plug-ins without any restrictions for 14 days. Simply click the "Activate Trial" button in the plug-in GUI after the installation to start your trial period. To activate your full license you can purchase a product activation key on our website. The activation key will be sent to you by email once the payment process has been completed, successfully. Click "Activate plug-in..." in the plug-in GUI or the drop down menu below, enter your email and product activation key and hit the "Activate" button to proceed.

FAQS AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT

An overview of Frequently Asked Questions can be found under the following link

https://fuseaudiolabs.com/faq.html

Our tech support can be reached via the following link

https://fuseaudiolabs.com/support.html
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Always excited for a new fuse plugin
Old 7th February 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

Good sounding plugin. I just wish they had an option w/o oversampling. I'd rather have the lower cpu. Most times I find myself never needing OS when plugins offer it. It's the difference of 1% to 2% with their LA4A plugin (Has no oversampling) and this plugin and all the others at 7% to 12% cpu on my system. Just a global switch on each plugin would be great.

Thanks as always, Marc
Old 7th February 2020
Can't wait to give it a try !
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear
How does this compare to Phil’s Cascade and Black box?

VCL-25A is one of the best Vari MU compressors on the market. Don’t sleep on the sale.
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Tube saturation, with amazing auto-gain feature? Didn't need to test long, almost instant buy
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Lol. Fuse? No demo. Bought.
Old 7th February 2020
The tones... the extreme ease of use... on a vocal/12 string track one Vpre 2 on FLAT, gain about 6: can't take it off again the way it enriches the harmonics and particularly the region one finds by turning up the gain. But then the HI setting also had something i like - try one on the master and play with wet-dry: can't take it off again. O so why not massage the track with a bit of VCL-25A? Can't take it off again. Three minute job, thank you very much ha ha! Perfection à la Ray? You bet. Viiiielen Dank Chef!
Old 7th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
How does this compare to Phil’s Cascade and Black box?

VCL-25A is one of the best Vari MU compressors on the market. Don’t sleep on the sale.
Based on demos and just a quick try on a track, I would say that VPRE-2C is far more subtil than Phil's Cascade. Seems more on the realistic side rather than the exciter/saturator side of the Phil's Cascade. The VPRE-2C might be closer to Soundtoys Radiator I think. I'll have to test it deeper and see if I really need it.

Anyone knows which piece of gear is it based on ?
Old 7th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
Anyone knows which piece of gear is it based on ?
RCA BA-2C

http://www.coutant.org/ba2c/
Old 7th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Wow nice !
Thanks for the info !
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Bought
Old 7th February 2020
Just saw that it's based on a circuit which replicates the RCA one, so it's not a direct emulation of a RCA existing unit. Would be cool to have someone who is used to the sound of the original unit and see if it sounds close to it.

I think it was the same approach on the VCL-25A and the VCL-864U right ? (Building a clone then coding it)
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Being Fuse it's an instant buy anyway, but this time I thought I'd try it first.

Test 1: Male vox (crooning). Tone = Flat, Gain @ 5, Boost [Off], 45% mix - Added lovely warmth and body. It's not coming off.

Test 2: Mixbus/Master. Tone = Hi, Gain @ 7, Boost [On], 33% mix, Trim @ -0.2dB - WTF! Subtle (but gorgeous) opening up top with a fuller body. It's not coming off.

Very happy to have this before releasing my EP next week, this will be added to the master on each track. Knocked this out of the park Ray, a tube saturation go to (something I've been actively searching for the last few weeks and testing HW). On top of that, it's so easy/fast to dial in and AB. Reaper showing 0.4% CPU (I run 24/96) and very low latency.

TL;DR the usual: instabuy

P.S. I realise this sounds like the usual new release / honeymoon hyperbole, but I am going to stick my neck out and say it isn't. This is going to be very popular.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
P.S. I realise this sounds like the usual new release / honeymoon hyperbole, but I am going to stick my neck out and say it isn't. This is going to be very popular.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayTheLordBe View Post
Lol. Fuse? No demo. Bought.
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
My thoughts exactly.
I've spent hours upon hours comparing all the tube plugins I can get my hands on recently (dedicated Reaper project for it, same for 1176, opto, vari mu etc), and putting them up against hardware.

None of them made me smile like this. I'm not saying it's the best, as that's personal, I'm saying it's exactly what I've been searching/hoping for in a tube saturation plugin.

Like Paul G's Greedy Beats package, I almost feel guilty paying what Ray charges for it, like I've stolen it or something
Old 7th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Being Fuse it's an instant buy anyway, but this time I thought I'd try it first.

Test 1: Male vox (crooning). Tone = Flat, Gain @ 5, Boost [Off], 45% mix - Added lovely warmth and body. It's not coming off.

Test 2: Mixbus/Master. Tone = Hi, Gain @ 7, Boost [On], 33% mix, Trim @ -0.2dB - WTF! Subtle (but gorgeous) opening up top with a fuller body. It's not coming off.

Very happy to have this before releasing my EP next week, this will be added to the master on each track. Knocked this out of the park Ray, a tube saturation go to (something I've been actively searching for the last few weeks and testing HW). On top of that, it's so easy/fast to dial in and AB. Reaper showing 0.4% CPU (I run 24/96) and very low latency.

TL;DR the usual: instabuy

Sounds like we have a similar experience - i wrote the above after literally ten minutes of installing it. But since it was a track recorded with all hi class chain and no compression i know it wasn't just some lucky 'nice effect'. And for the 251 air recorded without tape there's a subtle smoothing effect on those hi freqs that direct to AD are just a bit too much for me (even recorded with 672 pre), that signal high end tube to my ears even more. O and you need less reverb/room/ambience... brilliant.

I'd be very curious to hear Ray's similarly minimal function version of a Telefunken M10 or 15... then who needs EQ
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

First test in mixbus, I love the body that brings in the bass, rounds and adds weight, subtle, but when you deactivate it, you realize that it was necessary.
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Nut

Only had to demo it for a few minutes, pretty much an insta-buy. Fuse does it again! Amongst other things, loving it on drums.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

With these extremely well done saturation plugins I often notice how it's easier to apply EQ or any other processing after them. This is a trait that I've been missing from the hardware domain.. run a track through a nice little HW chain and suddenly all the post processing after it sounds better.

Well, this plugin right here captures that magic. Then again, that's hardly a surprise considering that this is true for the other Fuse Audio Labs products too.

Yeah, well done Ray. Bloody well done!
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Addict

I also love the fact that Fuse is literally the only company who makes the installers actually select only the Vst versions if i choose that option. :D
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
I also love the fact that Fuse is literally the only company who makes the installers actually select only the Vst versions if i choose that option. :D
Although for me it would be nice for it to always remember the PC Path for vst that I use for Fuse Audio stuff.
rsp
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Fuse Audio Labs always delivers! But I didn´t expect it to be THAT good. Wow can this plugin smooth out the high end.
I am not a huge fan of plugin saturation/ distortion as most of the plugins sound harsh, but this one is so smooth...awesome!
Old 7th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I just wish they had an option w/o oversampling. I'd rather have the lower cpu.
Out of curiosity, how did you even know that it implements oversampling? I imagine that you're correct and it does, just curious if you read that somewhere that I can't find on the website or the in the plugin?
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

btw...the installer doesn´t install the vst3 version here
Old 7th February 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbout View Post
Out of curiosity, how did you even know that it implements oversampling? I imagine that you're correct and it does, just curious if you read that somewhere that I can't find on the website or the in the plugin?
Sure, that’s a great question. So their LA4A which is a great product does not have oversampling. On my computer (Early 2009 Mac Pro which is showing it’s age but works amazingly) uses 1% to 2% of the cpu. Has great saturation and great compression. When they brought that plugin out, they mentioned it didn’t have OS and that they would not be adding it to it as it was a free plugin at the time. Not sure if it’s still free. That plugin doesn’t need OS and it sounds as good as any other plugin they have even when pushed.
After that, every plugin they’ve released, had cpu usage of 7% to 9% and I just asked why the high cpu usage and they mentioned it was because they were putting OS on their new plugins automatically. I understand and don’t mind adding OS when it truly needs it but I have a lot of plugins (Over 900 now) and the plugin that offer OS, when I switch it back and forth from OS to non OS I don’t hear a huge difference at all so, I always opt out of it. Slate’s VMR, All Kush Plugins (I love the fact they have a one touch button), IK plugins etc. I never use it and never have any issues. Of course, if I ever feel that I need it, at least the option is there.
I hope this answers your question. I just talked to Ray about it and he mentioned they did have a meeting about it. Hopefully we will see that option in the future. I think it would be great.
By the way, there are OS options that plugins are using now-a-days that only add 1% to 2% on the cpu which is great and maybe they need to look at that option. I’ve mentioned that to Ray as well.
I think he mentioned they use a linear phase option and some peeps use a minimal phase option. Hey, whatever works but even then, still give the option without.

Thanks and great question, Marc
Old 7th February 2020
Quote:
Sure, that’s a great question. So their LA4A which is a great product does not have oversampling. On my computer (Early 2009 Mac Pro which is showing it’s age but works amazingly) uses 1% to 2% of the cpu. Has great saturation and great compression. When they brought that plugin out, they mentioned it didn’t have OS and that they would not be adding it to it as it was a free plugin at the time. Not sure if it’s still free. That plugin doesn’t need OS and it sounds as good as any other plugin they have even when pushed.
After that, every plugin they’ve released, had cpu usage of 7% to 9% and I just asked why the high cpu usage and they mentioned it was because they were putting OS on their new plugins automatically. I understand and don’t mind adding OS when it truly needs it but I have a lot of plugins (Over 900 now) and the plugin that offer OS, when I switch it back and forth from OS to non OS I don’t hear a huge difference at all so, I always opt out of it. Slate’s VMR, All Kush Plugins (I love the fact they have a one touch button), IK plugins etc. I never use it and never have any issues. Of course, if I ever feel that I need it, at least the option is there.
I hope this answers your question. I just talked to Ray about it and he mentioned they did have a meeting about it. Hopefully we will see that option in the future. I think it would be great.
By the way, there are OS options that plugins are using now-a-days that only add 1% to 2% on the cpu which is great and maybe they need to look at that option. I’ve mentioned that to Ray as well.
I think he mentioned they use a linear phase option and some peeps use a minimal phase option. Hey, whatever works but even then, still give the option without.

Got it, thanks for all the detail! Ya I love the VCL-4 and it uses under 1% on my machine. I was a little surprised at the CPU usage of the VPRE-2C because I must have a preconceived notion now that FUSE will generally be low CPU. It didn't occur to me that it might be OS related until reading your first comment, but it makes perfect sense now. Ya I agree 100% it would be great to have a way to select OS multiples, or none at all.
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:

I would buy all of Fuse Audios lineup in a heartbeat if i could switch off OS.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

How much latency does this thing has?
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickskii View Post
I would buy all of Fuse Audios lineup in a heartbeat if i could switch off OS.
Any kind of saturation/distortion introduces aliasing, so having oversampling helps. An offline switch could help people with slower CPUs, we'll see if that gets implemented. I didn't notice too much CPU consumption anyway (AMD Ryzen 2700X).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
How much latency does this thing has?
32 samples
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search