The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Electric To Double Bass Converter
Old 3rd February 2020
Lives for gear

Lightbulb Electric To Double Bass Converter

Electric To Double Bass Converter-double-bass-converter-cover.jpg

This is the second time that we’ve sampled a Double Bass body.

The first one was a 3/4 body, now you can get the biggest 4/4 body.

We used 2 Vintage Neumann Microphones (U47 & U87) and AKG 414.

Neve 1073 Mic Preamps and printed them on tape to capture the best image of this Vintage Contrabass.

We also managed to capture that natural big round woody sound which only a Double Bass can produce.

(24Bit/96kHz Wav Files) (Stereo & Mono Files)

Just don’t forget to put your direct signal to off (0%) in your IR loader. Or add dry signal to your taste.

Works best with Fretless Basses and Acoustic Basses with Piezo. But also sounds huge and unique with bass guitars like Fender Jazz Bass. It can add a big woody body to any kind of Bass Source.

Check out the on-off demo! (Please Use Headphones)

No mastering was added to the demo. What you hear is what you get.

Available now at; www.gumroad.com/pasttofuturereverbs

We are proud to bring you sounds you can’t find anywhere else!

A Past to Future Release
Attached Thumbnails
Electric To Double Bass Converter-double-bass-converter-cover.jpg  
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Nut

If the recorded track is 24/44.1kHz will the 24/96kHz IR work?
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lusk View Post
If the recorded track is 24/44.1kHz will the 24/96kHz IR work?
Yes
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

The 3/4 and 4/4 really sound fun (I'm a double bassist who doesn't always have time to break out "the tree") despite entirely missing the sound and dynamics of double bass strings and the fundamentally different approach to pizzicato playing.

THAT SAID, they are certainly useful IRs, so well done! For instance, I like the idea of trying them with a u-bass or a Hofner McCartney style.

Can someone advise the latency when using the IRs, as they could be fun for live performance?

Thanks!
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggo View Post
The 3/4 and 4/4 really sound fun (I'm a double bassist who doesn't always have time to break out "the tree") despite entirely missing the sound and dynamics of double bass strings and the fundamentally different approach to pizzicato playing.

THAT SAID, they are certainly useful IRs, so well done! For instance, I like the idea of trying them with a u-bass or a Hofner McCartney style.

Can someone advise the latency when using the IRs, as they could be fun for live performance?

Thanks!
Thank you.
IR's don't put extra latency so you can use them live.
Lots of people use cab IR's live with their kemper, Helix which is basicly the same thing
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
P.S. it sounds amazing with U-Basses.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

OK, cool, this coud be great for live performance, but I'm a little low on computer resources in that regard. Forgive my ignorance, but does a footpedal exist which is designed to load IRs?
Or, failing that, I have a Windows tablet which might suit if it has sufficient CPU.
For the use I have in mind, my laptop is already a dedicated sampler running Kontakt and it's already pushed to the limit (it's stable, but fully loaded up).
Thanks for any advice!
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, cool, this coud be great for live performance, but I'm a little low on computer resources in that regard. Forgive my ignorance, but does a footpedal exist which is designed to load IRs?
Or, failing that, I have a Windows tablet which might suit if it has sufficient CPU.
For the use I have in mind, my laptop is already a dedicated sampler running Kontakt and it's already pushed to the limit (it's stable, but fully loaded up).
Thanks for any advice!
Helix and Kemper can load IR's..
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Very good! Works very well on my fretless with flatwounds! i would have preferred the mics a bit closer but still happy.
Do you guys have a piezo DI recording before and after for your Martin acoustic guitar IRs? The audio demo is not very clear to me. (no A/B and I'm not really sure what it is I'm hearing)

Huub

Edit; nevermind, I bought the bundle
These are very useful for turning those godawful piezo pickups into something listenable.
I tried other IR's but have not found something I can use before.
I'm going to keep this a secret and not tell anyone :D
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Very good! Works very well on my fretless with flatwounds! i would have preferred the mics a bit closer but still happy.
Do you guys have a piezo DI recording before and after for your Martin acoustic guitar IRs? The audio demo is not very clear to me. (no A/B and I'm not really sure what it is I'm hearing)

Huub

Edit; nevermind, I bought the bundle
These are very useful for turning those godawful piezo pickups into something listenable.
I tried other IR's but have not found something I can use before.
I'm going to keep this a secret and not tell anyone :D
Thanks a lot

But please tell it further
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for any advice!
FYI...Strymon's new Iridium pedal loads up to three IRs on a given amp model. There are three amp models (Fender Deluxe, Vox AC30, and Marshall Plexi). However, you can turn off the amp models if you wish and just use the IR. I have heard some examples of electric bass going through the amps and it sounded good to me, but I realize some bass players might not find that satisfying. I plan to buy one of these and do play electric bass.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
FYI...Strymon's new Iridium pedal loads up to three IRs on a given amp model. There are three amp models (Fender Deluxe, Vox AC30, and Marshall Plexi). However, you can turn off the amp models if you wish and just use the IR. I have heard some examples of electric bass going through the amps and it sounded good to me, but I realize some bass players might not find that satisfying. I plan to buy one of these and do play electric bass.
Great idea that also works with acoustic guitar IR's
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastToFuture View Post
Great idea that also works with acoustic guitar IR's
I don't know if you can get ahold of one of these performance pedals with IR loader, but it would be keen to see a video demonstrating switching between the various acoustic/bass IRs for a live situation. Really could hammer home the impact.
Old 24th February 2020
Quote:
I don't know if you can get ahold of one of these performance pedals with IR loader, but it would be keen to see a video demonstrating switching between the various acoustic/bass IRs for a live situation. Really could hammer home the impact.
Reminds me of the old Variax guitar where you could change to a sitar and different guitar models.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Reminds me of the old Variax guitar where you could change to a sitar and different guitar models.
Yes, we still have one in the studio
Old 25th February 2020
Quote:
Yes, we still have one in the studio
Wov. Cool.
How does that sound today?
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Wov. Cool.
How does that sound today?
Not good
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

I'm interested to know if there are other pedals (or desktop devices) other than DAWS and tablets which can load IRs.

I'll be trying some of the iOS apps which can do it, but not sure of the CPU load.

Strymon's Iridium pedal is just a bit too expensive for me. I already have a spare iPhone XR (i.e. currently not used at gigs) which might do the trick.

I bought the 4/4 impulse.

Thanks
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Not good
Innovation can sometimes take time
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm interested to know if there are other pedals (or desktop devices) other than DAWS and tablets which can load IRs.

I'll be trying some of the iOS apps which can do it, but not sure of the CPU load.

Strymon's Iridium pedal is just a bit too expensive for me. I already have a spare iPhone XR (i.e. currently not used at gigs) which might do the trick.

I bought the 4/4 impulse.

Thanks
It's just that something like the HX Stomp or Iridium also have the EQ/Preamp sounds before the cab IR.

Here are other options. https://www.geartube.net/blog/76/top...act-ir-pedals/
I've heard good comments about the Moore Radar and the Nux Mini Studio.

The Hotone Omni AC looks decent, with an option for XLR output to go straight to the PA. https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/omni/omni-ac

Last edited by sirthought; 26th February 2020 at 12:23 PM..
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's just that something like the HX Stomp or Iridium also have the EQ/Preamp sounds before the cab IR.

Here are other options. https://www.geartube.net/blog/76/top...act-ir-pedals/
I've heard good comments about the Moore Radar and the Nux Mini Studio.

The Hotone Omni AC looks decent, with an option for XLR output to go straight to the PA. https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/omni/omni-ac
Yeah, but I have some very nice Aguilar options there already, so plain vanilla IR fits the bill for me
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

I've now tried Fiddlicator and iConvolver on iOS using iPhone XR and iConnectivity Audio4+ (I had a spare)

Works great! have to say I prefer Fiddlicator at this point.

I use the mono IRs.
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

I was less impressed with the u-bass than the Fender Jazz, but both sounded really good with the IRs anyway.

What I'd love to know is whether future iterations might be possible which (for example) could be done with world's leading ribbon mics matched to suitable preamps?

Also interested in what it would sound like to insert a DPA 4099B _inside_ the bass thru the F hole and take an impulse of that.

Thanks again for making these - although they should include a disclaimer that they cannot hope to replicate the sound of pizzicato playing on actual double bass strings, they bring something wonderful to the sound that is very satisfying to me (a bassist since 1979, double bassist since 1988)
Old 1st March 2020
Really Cool! The first melodic track, and the walking line sounded pretty authentic. The last funk line though just sounded like a different bass guitar.

I might use it in a really loud bar/restaurant gig with my electric understanding this is more or less intended for bass guitar players to emulate an "upright" sound.

I use the upright not for just the sound but because it is like playing a drum. In other words I can create a deeper groove for certain things with the upright because of the acoustic feedback from the body of the instrument, the physical effort required to pluck the strings, and other factors. It is a completely different instrument and technique that go into it. What I'm getting at is unless the bass guitar player already doubles on upright, they are unlikely to achieve that same feel/groove even though they can emulate the tone to some extent. On the flip side, when a strict "legit" upright player plays the bass guitar it can sometimes sound a little clunky-- unless they have studied both instruments.

Nice work.
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie1 View Post
I use the upright not for just the sound but because it is like playing a drum. In other words I can create a deeper groove for certain things with the upright because of the acoustic feedback from the body of the instrument, the physical effort required to pluck the strings, and other factors. It is a completely different instrument and technique that go into it. What I'm getting at is unless the bass guitar player already doubles on upright, they are unlikely to achieve that same feel/groove even though they can emulate the tone to some extent. On the flip side, when a strict "legit" upright player plays the bass guitar it can sometimes sound a little clunky-- unless they have studied both instruments.
Exactly! In some of the lineups I play in, I'm expected to be the bassist and "drummer" - I've been in many rockabilly bands in my younger days but nowadays my most common role is in country blues bands (not country music at all - the acoustic blues played in the '20s & '30s in rural areas where pianos weren't available because they couldn't be carried). The slap techniques I often use don't even slightly resemble the slap techniques played on electric basses. I'm usually trying to sound like a tuba or jug, with slap deployed when desired to add the percussive element. The older I get, the less I slap, not because I'm tired or weak, but because I prefer to underplay nowadays rather than overplay. I have nothing to prove anymore and "prefer to play songs rather than bass", if that makes sense.

On the Fender Jazz, I found the best approach to using the IRs was to play with thumb parallel to the string, rather than typical pizzicato. I really loved the full body of the tone. Definitely not ideal IMO to play it as you'd typically play an electric bass (unless you're already a "parallel thumb" player)

On the u-bass, it brought something extra to the table for sure, but the u-bass requires such a gentle touch (in my opinion) that the IRs helped, but not as effectively as with the Fender Jazz. I'll keep working on getting a better result from the u-bass. I've got the James Hutchinson model with Thundergut strings. Maybe I'll go back to the original strings, because the Thunderguts aren't as "thundery" or as "gutty" as the name suggests.

Also really want to try these IRs on a friend's McCartney Hofner. That could be an awesome combo.

But no IR could replace my upright. Could be very handy though for the guys that play solid body uprights.

Last edited by diggo; 1st March 2020 at 08:39 AM..
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly! In some of the lineups I play in, I'm expected to be the bassist and "drummer"
I should clarify this: mostly, I'm attempting to replicate aspects of a washboard, not a drum kit.

I that regard, it's kinda like a mix of hi-hat and snare, depending on what I'm trying to achieve.
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly! In some of the lineups I play in, I'm expected to be the bassist and "drummer" - I've been in many rockabilly bands in my younger days but nowadays my most common role is in country blues bands (not country music at all - the acoustic blues played in the '20s & '30s in rural areas where pianos weren't available because they couldn't be carried). The slap techniques I often use don't even slightly resemble the slap techniques played on electric basses. I'm usually trying to sound like a tuba or jug, with slap deployed when desired to add the percussive element. The older I get, the less I slap, not because I'm tired or weak, but because I prefer to underplay nowadays rather than overplay. I have nothing to prove anymore and "prefer to play songs rather than bass", if that makes sense.

On the Fender Jazz, I found the best approach to using the IRs was to play with thumb parallel to the string, rather than typical pizzicato. I really loved the full body of the tone. Definitely not ideal IMO to play it as you'd typically play an electric bass (unless you're already a "parallel thumb" player)

On the u-bass, it brought something extra to the table for sure, but the u-bass requires such a gentle touch (in my opinion) that the IRs helped, but not as effectively as with the Fender Jazz. I'll keep working on getting a better result from the u-bass. I've got the James Hutchinson model with Thundergut strings. Maybe I'll go back to the original strings, because the Thunderguts aren't as "thundery" or as "gutty" as the name suggests.

Also really want to try these IRs on a friend's McCartney Hofner. That could be an awesome combo.

But no IR could replace my upright. Could be very handy though for the guys that play solid body uprights.
We have already tried it on Höfner violin bass and it is a perfect match!
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

I just put some halfwounds on my McCartney/Hofner copy (Tanglewood FWIW) and think I'll give this a try for fun. Just wish (for the first and only time ever) that my bass was fretless! Must say it's a very clever use of IR technology, I was interested in those Martin IR's too, and now I'm really curious about what else can be done with this novel idea.

Also, maybe I'm alone here, but some "clean pre's/sans tape" IR's could be cool
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
I just put some halfwounds on my McCartney/Hofner copy (Tanglewood FWIW) and think I'll give this a try for fun. Just wish (for the first and only time ever) that my bass was fretless! Must say it's a very clever use of IR technology, I was interested in those Martin IR's too, and now I'm really curious about what else can be done with this novel idea.

Also, maybe I'm alone here, but some "clean pre's/sans tape" IR's could be cool
Cool..we did some pre and tape ir's but not released yet. If there is enough interest we can release them. With an ir you can't get the saturation but you can get that sound curve which sounds great too. We also did a dbx compressor for kemper
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool..we did some pre and tape ir's but not released yet. If there is enough interest we can release them. With an ir you can't get the saturation but you can get that sound curve which sounds great too. We also did a dbx compressor for kemper
Cool, thanks for the response! I realize now that I was unclear, sorry I meant, some IR's of the double bass, recorded into a clean/digital front-end (no tape or coloured preamp in the IR). I mention it because I'm familiar with what IR's can and can't be expected to reproduce from a signal capture (saturation), and these days there are more than a lot of decent algorithmic plugins available to provide those additional colours, if and when needed. Just a thought! Either way, thanks for sharing your cool ideas with the world!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search