The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toontrack announces Kicks & Snares EZX
Old 28th January 2020
News Desk Editor

Toontrack announces Kicks & Snares EZX-unnamed-55-.jpg

Today, Toontrack announced the release of the Kicks & Snares EZX, a new expansion for EZdrummer 2 and Superior Drummer 3 featuring a massive selection of kicks, snare and mix-ready presets. This marks the forty-second individual title in Toontrack’s ever-growing collection of widely popular EZXs.

About the Kicks & Snares EZX
Regardless of genre or style, arguably any engineer would agree: the kick and the snare are irrevocably the two biggest focal points of not only the rhythm section but also the entire mix. The Kicks & Snares EZX zooms in on delivering exactly that: kicks and snares. An overwhelming amount of them, we might add – in total 74 multi-sampled and never-before-released instruments recorded in eight different top studios in Australia and the UK. Factoring in the wide range of alternative tunings and recorded configurations, you’ll have around 130 unique kick and snare voices at your disposal. What differentiates this EZX even more from earlier ones is that each kick and snare position has four extra channels featuring individually processed versions: ‘Sub,’ ‘Skin Lo,’ ‘Skin Hi’ and ‘Club/Stick.’ This will enable you to infinitely tweak and find your personal blends for each instrument.

In addition, the Kicks & Snares EZX comes with close to 100 unique kit presets covering anything from traditional/organic mixes to those involving elaborate sound design. Also, one set of toms, two crashes, one ride and one set of hi-hats are included for easy kit construction.

Combined, this all makes this EZX a veritable monster of sound for broad use in anything from custom kit creation and sound replacement to acoustic/organic, modern pop, hip-hop, ambient and electronic. EZdrummer 2 owner? Welcome to a mind-blowing toolbox of mix-ready kits and instruments. Superior Drummer 3 user? Revel in a near infinite palette of options that opens up for limitless sound design.

FEATURE SPOTLIGHT
  • 31 multi-sampled, individual kick drum instruments
  • 43 multi-sampled, individual snare drum instruments
  • A wide range of alternative tunings and configurations, in total around 130 kick and snare voices
  • Never-before-released material recorded in eight different top studios in Australia and the UK
  • Sampled by three different drummers for maximum variation (Chris Whitten, Adam Falkner and Simon Ayton)
  • Also includes three toms, two crashes, one ride and one set of hi-hats for easy kit construction
  • Close to 100 unique mix-ready kit presets covering anything from traditional/organic mixes to those involving elaborate sound design
  • The perfect palette of raw material for sound design, custom kit creation and sound replacement
  • Tailored for a broad use in anything from acoustic/organic to modern pop, hip-hop, ambient and electronic
  • Includes a selection of backbeat-oriented MIDI grooves performed by Darby Todd

Find more info, audio demos and video content here: https://www.toontrack.com/product/kicks-snares-ezx/

Attached Thumbnails
Toontrack announces Kicks & Snares EZX-unnamed-55-.jpg  
Old 29th January 2020
Gear Maniac
Its cool but Ive been waiting almost a year and a half for them to create EZ Bass...

SMH
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGOD_OFFICIAL View Post
Its cool but Ive been waiting almost a year and a half for them to create EZ Bass...

SMH
May this year
Old 29th January 2020
Such a departure for EZdrummer and Toontrack, I thought it would have spawned more discussion than a moan about EZbass.
Old 29th January 2020
Gear Addict

Well I love the concept! It's certainly on my GAS list when finances allow.
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1thedon View Post
Well I love the concept! It's certainly on my GAS list when finances allow.
This, I'll be in for this set. Sounds good.
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

SMH
You could’ve learned to play an actual bass in all that time! ☺️
Old 29th January 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
You could’ve learned to play an actual bass in all that time! ☺️
I know how to play bass, that's not the point. Toon track advertised EZ bass last year and it never came out, genius....
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know how to play bass, that's not the point. Toon track advertised EZ bass last year and it never came out, genius....
So, crying on a third party forum in a thread about a totally different product IS the point? Nice going bud.

Definitely looking forward to trying these out - surprised they didn't do something like this sooner. Great idea.
Old 29th January 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
So, crying on a third party forum in a thread about a totally different product IS the point? Nice going bud.

Definitely looking forward to trying these out - surprised they didn't do something like this sooner. Great idea.

Crying? Oh yet another internet tough guy.

Ive actually contacted Toontrack and never received an answer when it was coming out but thanks to Eric Stravinsky for letting me know in the previous post.

So yeah Im glad I came to a "FORUM" and got the answer I was looking for... "genius"
Old 30th January 2020
I have a handful of their expansions. I'll look into this one. But, like a lot of their stuff in terms of the midi provided, I'm guessing it'll be more of the over-the-top heavy handed smashing fills and wild animal like beats. I've heard their very own ballad stuff and the country stuff sound like a 10 kilo tonne explosion. I wish they would put out some expansions that are very laid back, with simple, simple, simple fills etc. I should email them again I suppose. I do like their stuff and the sounds are ok...but there's a market, surely, for much more simple midi. What they need is something like "Old School Country"...maybe modern sounding drums with old school beats and fills. Something simple!

Old 30th January 2020
Extensive review:
Old 30th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I've heard their very own ballad stuff and the country stuff sound like a 10 kilo tonne explosion.
You just have to reduce all the velocities across the board by 10 to 20.
The main snare hits in their midi tend to live around 125-127, which is the maximum velocity. So if you want it to sound warmer and calmer, just select all midi and reduce everything by up to 20, so the snares are hitting around 100-110.
Old 30th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You just have to reduce all the velocities across the board by 10 to 20.
The main snare hits in their midi tend to live around 125-127, which is the maximum velocity. So if you want it to sound warmer and calmer, just select all midi and reduce everything by up to 20, so the snares are hitting around 100-110.
It's not to do with velocity. It's to do with the actual sequencing of individual hits comprised to make beats and fills that are overly complicated, 'too much', too fancy, too ornate, too bombastic, too involved or convoluted etc.

Yeah, you can go into the clip editor and subtract kick hits or snare hits etc...but in my experience that doesn't solve the problem. It's a very mechanical subtraction that tends to sound as such. Not always, sometimes it can work. But mostly.

Toontrack leans toward the flashy...the showy and the ostentatious in terms of beats and fills...I guess because that's what makes the common denominator go 'wow that sure is cool'. So, sure there's a market for all that. And that's cool.

I think there's a market for simple stuff too. This new expansion doesn't fit that bill, unfortunately. But I still have hope one day they'll move into that simplicity market. They'll probably do alright too, I'd imagine.
Old 30th January 2020
Quote:
It's not to do with velocity. It's to do with the actual sequencing of individual hits comprised to make beats and fills that are overly complicated, 'too much', too fancy, too ornate, too bombastic, too involved or convoluted etc.
I hear you, but you mentioned some midi packs being like a 10 tonne explosion. That's all down to the velocity of the notes.
I understand what you say about the flashy and complex midi too.

Quote:
I think there's a market for simple stuff too. This new expansion doesn't fit that bill, unfortunately.

Errr, how do you know?
Old 30th January 2020
Quote:
I hear you, but you mentioned some midi packs being like a 10 tonne explosion. That's all down to the velocity of the notes.
I understand what you say about the flashy and complex midi too.

Errr, how do you know?
a) It's down to the flashy/ complex structure. I get your point about velocity. But velocity doesn't impact flashy, complexity, which, reading between the lines, is what I'm talking about. The overly complex complexion of their midi makes it too explosive. Too complicated. Too much. Turning it down won't reduce complexity.

b) I'd buy it. The rest is a hunch. Hunches haven't been outlawed have they? Or how do I know it doesn't fit the bill? I've heard the samples on the Toontrack website.

Old 30th January 2020
Quote:
Turning it down won't reduce complexity.
Yes, I already agreed.

Quote:
Hunches haven't been outlawed have they?
Sure, you made it sound like a fact.
Old 30th January 2020
Here for the gear

One can use the "Number of hits edit function" to simplify the complexity of the drum track. It's how I do it anyways.

Another thing I'll do besides dropping the velocity is to go into the EZD Mixer section and globally drop the outputs a db or more as it often sounds better.
Old 30th January 2020
Quote:
Sure, you made it sound like a fact.
Thank God you're around to police such scurrilous flippancy, chrisso.

Old 30th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach music View Post
One can use the "Number of hits edit function" to simplify the complexity of the drum track. It's how I do it anyways.

Another thing I'll do besides dropping the velocity is to go into the EZD Mixer section and globally drop the outputs a db or more as it often sounds better.
The 'number of hits' function can tend to be very...very mechanical. Works at times. But in my experience not often enough.

Velocity has no bearing on complexity, as I've explained.
Old 30th January 2020
Gear Head

cool expansion here...I've been waiting for these short and snappy snares
Old 30th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a handful of their expansions. I'll look into this one. But, like a lot of their stuff in terms of the midi provided, I'm guessing it'll be more of the over-the-top heavy handed smashing fills and wild animal like beats. I've heard their very own ballad stuff and the country stuff sound like a 10 kilo tonne explosion. I wish they would put out some expansions that are very laid back, with simple, simple, simple fills etc. I should email them again I suppose. I do like their stuff and the sounds are ok...but there's a market, surely, for much more simple midi. What they need is something like "Old School Country"...maybe modern sounding drums with old school beats and fills. Something simple!

I agree 100%
I find myself searching the midi library's way to long looking for simple usable content and end up 99% of the time reprogramming anyway!!!
Can be frustrating at times!!
Old 30th January 2020
Quote:
Thank God you're around to police such scurrilous flippancy, chrisso.
Hey, I’ve produced some of the simplest, calmest pop/rock midi in any pack - what can I say.
Old 30th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
The 'number of hits' function can tend to be very...very mechanical. Works at times. But in my experience not often enough.

Velocity has no bearing on complexity, as I've explained.
Mechanical yes, but it can get one closer to a more laid back groove quicker than not having this option. Plus there's the Humanize function that mixes things up and using the DAW random timing within a set range that simulates human timing errors that could come in handy.

Plus, while Velocity has no bearing on complexity. It does calm down the explosive hits that laid back grooves favor.
Old 30th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:

Toontrack leans toward the flashy...the showy and the ostentatious in terms of beats and fills...I guess because that's what makes the common denominator go 'wow that sure is cool'. So, sure there's a market for all that. And that's cool.

I think there's a market for simple stuff too. This new expansion doesn't fit that bill, unfortunately. But I still have hope one day they'll move into that simplicity market. They'll probably do alright too, I'd imagine.
I find that not just Toontrack, but the other drum programs I formerly used (especially Slate) as well as 3rd party drum grooves are, mostly, "guilty" of this same over-the-top, overly flashy midi grooves. (I've had the best luck with Groove Monkee stuff in this respect -- and find more of those useful.)

The irony is that in virtually all of the music and genres I like -- when I focus my listening on drums, I'm continually amazed to realize they're most often playing simple backbeats and simple fills -- with lots of space. Nowhere near as "busy" as most of the commercial midi grooves.

It sort of feels like 95% of commercial available midi grooves represent what I hear in 5% of records -- and vice versa.

I'm thinking that maybe the reason is that when you boil down drum playing -- there are actually so FEW grooves that the best and most tasteful drummers actually use and play in their real sessions -- that it doesn't support a business model which requires constantly releasing new groove packs? Disclaimer -- I'm NOT a drummer (other than backbeat) -- so I could well be wrong about this -- and I stand ready to be educated!

I started out programming all my own drum parts -- which were mostly things I could've actually played myself on real drums -- and using my DAW to slightly randomize timing and velocities -- and was relatively satisfied. Then, assuming "real drummers" knew more than me -- I shifted to relying on pre-made midi-grooves.

But I'm beginning to wonder how much those marketed grooves actually represent what "real drummers" would play for a "real sessions."

In any case I completely agree that it seems hard to ferret out simple and spacious grooves -- and especially fills -- in all these midi packs -- and that there seems to be a preponderance of "over-the-top" flashy (and annoying) grooves and fills. And this doesn't just apply to Toontrack.

And while I'm here -- OMG I wish Toontrack would find a way to LABEL their grooves in a way that better identifies them when you drag them into your DAW. In Logic it'll just be labelled "Variation 1" or some such -- providing NO CLUE where you found it -- in case you want to go back later to the source -- for related alternatives.
Old 30th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think all drummers who create MIDI beats should be guided by a simple mantra: if I'm not bored, I'm playing too much.
Old 30th January 2020
When I have made midi for Toontrack (twice), I actually played the parts I played on well known records.
I think you are damned if you do and dammed if you don’t. I presume, because they’ve done their research, the midi packs with complex drumming sell the most, and ‘boring’ 2 & 4 midi sells the least.
For example, if you follow any drum channels on Youtube or Instagram, whenever they post a video of a drummer playing a complex groove in an odd time signature, it gets thousands of likes. If they post a video of a drummer playing a simple pop groove - very few likes.
I find it very annoying and frustrating myself.
But by the way - EZX: Kicks and Snares is ALL about giving you a huge range of diverse kicks and snare drums, more than any drum product ever produced before. It’s not really about midi grooves.
Old 30th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
For example, if you follow any drum channels on Youtube or Instagram, whenever they post a video of a drummer playing a complex groove in an odd time signature, it gets thousands of likes. If they post a video of a drummer playing a simple pop groove - very few likes.
Well, of course. I would be much more entertained by a video of a drummer playing a complex groove than a simple one. That doesn't mean I would find the complex groove more useful in putting a song arrangement together.
Old 31st January 2020
Gear Nut

Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
I agree 100%
I find myself searching the midi library's way to long looking for simple usable content and end up 99% of the time reprogramming anyway!!!
Can be frustrating at times!!
I’m a drummer myself (30+ years) and even I find them to be too busy. I personally just drag the midi into my DAW and trim out the hits I don’t need. Not a huge fan of the built-in sequencer anyway. Sometimes I just copy the hats and make my own backbeats.

SD3 has some more utilitarian ones if remember correctly though.

There are also some third party options available though, ex: https://groovemonkee.com/collections/midi-loops
These are generally more laid back and song oriented.
Old 31st January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
When I have made midi for Toontrack (twice), I actually played the parts I played on well known records.
I think you are damned if you do and dammed if you don’t. I presume, because they’ve done their research, the midi packs with complex drumming sell the most, and ‘boring’ 2 & 4 midi sells the least.
Hey Chrisso -- if you're referring to your own midi packs -- which are your the ones that have the most "boring 2 & 4 midi?" When it comes to drum grooves - I have a feeling that "boring 2 & 4" is exactly what I'm looking for!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search