The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb recreates iconic studio's spaces
Old 17th January 2020
News Desk Editor

IK Multimedia T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb recreates iconic studio's spaces

IK Multimedia T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb recreates iconic studio's spaces-unnamed-3-.jpg

IK Multimedia T-RackS® Sunset Sound Studio Reverb recreates iconic studio's spaces

Reverb processor module offers the authentic sounds and characteristics of the legendary Sunset Sound recording facility

The NAMM Show, January 17, 2020 - IK Multimedia presents Sunset Sound Studio Reverb, a new T-RackS® module processor that brings the reverbs and sounds of the studios in the iconic Sunset Sound recording facility in Los Angeles to musicians everywhere. Sunset Sound Studio Reverb is the first convolution reverb for IK's industry-standard T-RackS 5 mixing and mastering software workstation.

IK worked in collaboration with studio owner Paul Camarata to give recording engineers "all access" to the sound and vibe of the studios in this landmark facility, where a who's who of music has recorded for 60 years, including the Doors, the Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin, Joe Cocker, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Prince, Aretha Franklin, Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and countless others.

Studio owner Paul Camarata notes, "For 60 years, the sound of our studios has been heard on hit records around the world. Now, we're proud to be working with IK Multimedia to bring our famed sound to everyone's recordings. Sunset Sound Studio Reverb really nails the essence of our distinct character."

Each room of Sunset Sound's three studios was recorded using its custom console and Sunset's mic collection, to capture not just the acoustics but also the unique vibe of the space. IK recreated them using a powerful new dynamic convolution engine, and the result is a faithful studio quality reverb that offers the same iconic sound as countless hit records, complemented by an array of flexible control options for further tone shaping.

Abundant reverb
Users can select from among the various reverbs taken from the live echo chambers and each of the three studios found in the facility. The choices are:
  • Live room: Studio 1, Studio 2 or Studio 3
  • Iso Booth: Studio 1, Studio 2 or Studio 3
  • 3 Live echo chambers
  • 2 plate reverbs and 1 spring reverb
Control it all
An intuitive GUI provides a realistic experience, offering information and insights about each particular room, as well as additional controls to help users shape the sound to suit their tastes. Additional controls include:
  • Adjustable decay time and pre-delay
  • High-pass and low-pass filters
  • Low and high shelving EQs
  • Stereo image width
  • Wet/dry mix
and more.

Flexible use
Like all T-RackS modules, Sunset Sound Studio Reverb can be used as an individual plug-in within any recording software, or inside the T-RackS 5 shell for even faster workflow both as plug-in or stand-alone mastering software.

About T-RackS
T-RackS 5 is the latest version of IK's industry standard mixing and mastering software workstation that has been used on countless albums by top engineers for more than 20 years. This powerful modular system offers maximum versatility via 43 high-quality processors (EQs, limiters, compressors, etc) that can be used in parallel or series, in a variety of working environments. In total, T-RackS 5 offers everything needed to professionally treat and finalize audio from raw mixes to a perfect finished product. For even more professional results, each version of T-RackS 5 also offers free downloadable signature presets from some of the industry's top engineers.

About Sunset Sound Recorders
Sunset Sound was opened in 1958 by Tutti Camarata, then director of recording for Disney Studios, and initially handled in-house work for Disney, recording movies like "Mary Poppins" and "101 Dalmatians." In 1962, Sunset Sound opened to external clients, and soon expanded to a 3-studio complex, welcoming artists like The Doors, Joe Cocker, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Prince and countless more. Now owned and operated by Paul Camarata, Tutti's son, Sunset Sound continues to welcome world-class artists to its iconic rooms. All three original rooms remain in operation, and with their custom acoustics and consoles, fully equipped echo chambers and comprehensive mic lockers, Sunset Sound remains a dream destination for musicians.

Pricing and availability
Sunset Sound Studio Reverb for T-RackS 5 will be available in January 2020 from the IK Custom Shop, the IK Multimedia online store and from IK authorized dealers worldwide for a special introductory price of €/$149.99* until March 31, 2020 (regular pricing will be €/$249.99).
* All prices excluding taxes

For more information about Sunset Sound Studio Reverb, please visit: www.t-racks.com/sunsetstudio
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb recreates iconic studio's spaces-unnamed-3-.jpg  
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Addict

I can't wait to try this one!
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Head

This is going to be perfect for "re-miking" stereo room tracks for dull drum takes.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Oh, interesting
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Addict

Peace out, Dino.

Yes, I’ll buy it...
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

demos sound great. Not quite the versatility of what Ocean Way offers as far as mic choices/placements etc. The plates/chambers/spring have got to be worth it alone, while those rooms are my favourite on the planet - even if its just a taste of what its like to track in there it'll be cool.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Addict

Sorry not understanding. But what is different from any good IR plugin? You can’t change position or any room specific parameter? Is it the GUI and the image of the room? And again. Sorry for not understanding. But need to know what is unique with this since I have altiverb and Rematrix that I use daily.
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post
Sorry not understanding. But what is different from any good IR plugin? You can’t change position or any room specific parameter? Is it the GUI and the image of the room? And again. Sorry for not understanding. But need to know what is unique with this since I have altiverb and Rematrix that I use daily.
If you already have Altiverb and Rematrix, then maybe you don't have anything special .. :P
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Interested to try the demo for this. I already have some wonderful reverbs including :- LiquidSonics Illusion/Lustrious Plates & Reverberate 2, Acon Verberate 2, Arturia Rev Plate-140, PSP 2445, Waves H-Reverb plus all the Steinberg, NI and existing IK reverbs. Will be interesting to hear what IK's Sunset Studios brings to the table.
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Check out the session today with Ross Hogarth and Joe Chiccarelli about T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb (and others like the Tom and Chris Lord-Alge session) which will be live streamed on our Instagram channel https://www.instagram.com/ikmultimedia/
Old 18th January 2020
This is of great interest to me. Peter, is there a VH I/II aimed capture included?
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Addict

Would be great if it were multiple studios (i.e. like Sound City, Muscle Shoals), especially as most convolution reverbs offer a LOT of spaces.

Won't knock it 'til I try it though.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Wow! A new reverb from IK? I thought I'd never see the day. It's been what, 15 years? So badly needed.

This looks very interesting. It's a shame it hasn't got the flexibility of OWS, but still, very cool.
Will this trickle down to MODO Drums as well?
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Haven't been this excited since the tape plugin release! Day one I am trying it.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Haven't been this excited since the tape plugin release! Day one I am trying it.
We're trying to keep the hits coming. This sounds great. The version we have here isn't final but that didn't stop a few of us from enjoying how amazing those chambers sound with a clean(ish) guitar noodling around. Was a fun couple of nights at the hotel going down the SUnset Sound rabbit hole.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
This is of great interest to me. Peter, is there a VH I/II aimed capture included?
We currently don't have presets laid out but we definitely have the room and chamber that was preferred/used for those sessions. We had a great session with Ross yesterday and also got to talk a while with him. He definitely believes in how these rooms and chambers are a near-spiritual experience and space that put their stamp on what was recorded there. He was running through the character of each room and some of the artists' preferences as one is more "ambient" vs another "punchy" etc.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Y’all IK nerds should start crisscrossing the globe now and inking deals and capturing these great rooms before the all go away... especially here in the States

I haven’t picked up the UAD Capitol deal yet, but, I think that’s just their chambers... which... wow... there were so many great chambers in LA that have been filled in, buried, forgotten...

Seriously, I think this is great... and as far as room placement, etc, ala Ocean Way... that would be cool as sh|t, but, we can approximate that ITB with the slew of crazy tools we have avail now for space/time manipulation.

The Eventide Tverb is another amazing product in this general realm
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Would be great if it were multiple studios (i.e. like Sound City, Muscle Shoals), especially as most convolution reverbs offer a LOT of spaces.

Won't knock it 'til I try it though.
I get you... but, so many of those spaces are things like “gas chamber”... “shoe factory”... “Belarus dungeon”... I mean... cool! But, they don’t inform me for music production. Maybe sound design!

Sunset Sound? I know that joint! Besides, it’s interesting to me that they’ve captured iso rooms, etc.. but, I’d love more studios for sure
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

I love that we captured ISO rooms. Get that Eddie sound using that ISO room and the chamber panned to one side. Ross loves talking about that sound, it's a great use of the Sunset Sound tools.
Old 19th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I get you... but, so many of those spaces are things like “gas chamber”... “shoe factory”... “Belarus dungeon”... I mean... cool! But, they don’t inform me for music production. Maybe sound design!

Sunset Sound? I know that joint! Besides, it’s interesting to me that they’ve captured iso rooms, etc.. but, I’d love more studios for sure
I agree. I suspect that post-production is the target market for such greatest hits of reverb as “Belarus dungeon“, “1942 Amsterdam Canal House Secret Annex Juvenilia Writer’s Loft”, “Authentic 2015 Sino-Sweatshop iPhone Factory”, and “Milwaukee's Oxford Apartments #213 Refrigerator Space”.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien View Post
This is going to be perfect for "re-miking" stereo room tracks for dull drum takes.
This! +1
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post
At least one of the rooms will have multiple positions available.

T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb is different from other IR plugins due to the specific rooms we captured which each have a very "signature" sound, as well as those chambers which are definitely hugely sought after, plus the ISO rooms where people like Eddie Van Halen recorded his amps - not to mention panning one of the amazing Sunset Sound chambers to the other side... - and the plates and spring reverbs from this iconic studio.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Peter... when-ish on release?
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
If it's anything like the quality of their Tape emulations.... I'm glad the intro pricing will be on until the end of March!
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

The electric piano audio demos are pretty sweet.
This will be interesting.
Old 22nd January 2020
News Desk Editor

Old 22nd January 2020
I'd like to hear more demos. Or better yet; I'd love to demo it.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

@ Peter -IK, can you let us know exactly which springs were modelled? Other than the AKG BX-20..
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
@ Peter -IK, can you let us know exactly which springs were modelled? Other than the AKG BX-20..
We modeled the spring reverb they had which is indeed the AKG BX20E
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

We had Ross Hogarth (who recorded many times at Sunset Sound) at NAMM 2020 with KVR's old friend Dave "Squids" Kerzner helming the talk:

https://youtu.be/nKIXI4p7wOI

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search