The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg i3 Workstation/Arranger Keyboard
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

Korg i3 Workstation/Arranger Keyboard

Frank Tedesco of Korg USA introduces the latest Korg i3 Arranger Workstation hybrid at the NAMM 2020.

So it's neither a fully featured workstation nor a full blown arranger. It's a compact keyboard with VERY light keybed. I'd say it's a good deal for quick song writing,writing ideas and light gigs maybe?

Old 18th January 2020
Here for the gear

So you find it "a compact keyboard with VERY light keybed" -- is it in terms of mass, or action? How would you compare its keybed with EK50, KROSS-61, and KROSS2-61?
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Addict

Odd that Korg would choose to name this the same as another KB they made in 1993.
Old 21st January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardeck View Post
So you find it "a compact keyboard with VERY light keybed" -- is it in terms of mass, or action? How would you compare its keybed with EK50, KROSS-61, and KROSS2-61?
Both actually...that is if you compare it to other Pa series keyboards. I do NOT like the keybed at all, but that's because I don't like synth action keys. To me this particular keybed felt even softer than a standard synth action but i could be wrong.

So after asking more and more questions from Korg people, this VERY confusing keyboard is just a different edition of EK50. No one seems to know why they decided to call this i3! They already had an actual arranger keyboard with that exact name back in the 90s.

That chord mode seems interesting, but nothing special about the sequencer. It's an ALL midi sequencer. You can however export the sequence as a single stereo wav. or mp3 track. The Pa series can only export mp3s I think.

You can NOT import your own user samples. You can only import EK50 or older Pa50 Styles. You can also use a DAW to create your own user styles...but again not based on user samples and only factory sounds.

Still it's a good sounding keyboard for what it is and can definitely be used for light gigs and song writing purposes. Factory styles seem to be geared more towards electronic and anything that is Synthy.
Old 21st January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathodeRay View Post
Odd that Korg would choose to name this the same as another KB they made in 1993.
It's just ridiculous! Who thought that was a good idea?
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

A better vid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BTspYoYaVKA
I think it’s quite interesting at the price.
Anyway. Ordered.
Old 6th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
A better vid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BTspYoYaVKA
I think it’s quite interesting at the price.
Anyway. Ordered.
Superficial question, I know, but which color did you go with?
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPXRH View Post
Superficial question, I know, but which color did you go with?

Black, as there was an 11% price difference in my store (Bax) but also since I believe I’ll prefer the rubber surface in that color. Also, black seems to make the screen part blend in. And finally, guess I always preferred the look of the M1 to the Triton.
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zx6M8vXQR3Y
I do love its looks, very sleek, reminiscent of the M1 indeed.
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

Apparently in Chord mode the chords are fixed per style (270 of them).
Old 12th March 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Apparently in Chord mode the chords are fixed per style (270 of them).
That's what I thought too. It's a good little keyboard for the price.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Got it in, together with a Roland RD-88 and a Kurzweil PC4. Now for some action ...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Got it in, together with a Roland RD-88 and a Kurzweil PC4. Now for some action ...
So you use it pretty much as a sound module then?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Mix View Post
So you use it pretty much as a sound module then?
More of a couch creativity thing. Batteries, headphones, all set. It’s so light, you can sit anywhere and play.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search