The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oeksound Soothe2
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergeeaye ➡️
thank you for the info...those prices are exactly what I was hoping for!!

any info on when the sale begins?? how long it will last??

thanks again!
I think it's the 27th-30th.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane ➡️
I think it's the 27th-30th.
It has started!
I just grabbed SPIFF as I own SOOTHE.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where's the best place to buy Soothe 2? Is it only sold on the Oeksound website?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Is anyone else having trouble with Paypal from Oeksound's website? Right now the browser is leaving their page to finalize the order but the process terminates because it fails to connect and pass the order onto to Paypal.

Update: it just wasn't working in Chrome. Soothe 2 acquired!

Last edited by ziggysane; 26th November 2020 at 11:44 PM..
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
They need to do a 200 usd bundle of spiff and soothe
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom ➡️
They need to do a 200 usd bundle of spiff and soothe
Don't think people who have all ready purchased would be too happy lol since Soothe is almost that by itself normally.
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I notice even with depth set to zero there is still frequency attenuation. With my limited testing there seems to be a very narrow sweet spot. There can be a big difference between only a few 10ths of an increment.

I'm taking my time evaluating this one as even with 40% off it still costs $250 here in Australia. Nearly $400 without the sale. That's why I never really checked it out before.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➡️
I notice even with depth set to zero there is still frequency attenuation. With my limited testing there seems to be a very narrow sweet spot. There can be a big difference between only a few 10ths of an increment.

I'm taking my time evaluating this one as even with 40% off it still costs $250 here in Australia. Nearly $400 without the sale. That's why I never really checked it out before.
How much is a can of Coke in Aussie?

If you click on the number, it shows 2 decimal points. They hide it when you turn the knob. I complained about this to them and they said it's too baked into their code to do anything about it.

I'm on the fence, too. But DSEQ is not a good alternative, from the demo I just tried.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How much is a can of Coke in Aussie?

If you click on the number, it shows 2 decimal points. They hide it when you turn the knob. I complained about this to them and they said it's too baked into their code to do anything about it.

I'm on the fence, too. But DSEQ is not a good alternative, from the demo I just tried.
Not sure about a can of Coke as I don't drink it but a 250ml (small) bottle of water is $3 and Coke owns a lot of the bottled water now.

I'm getting close enough to Soothe with my short time with the DSEQ demo I think considering the huge price difference.
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Still playing with Soothe 2 and DSEQ along with Pro-Q. Anyone else find Soothe and DSEQ to sound a bit grainy and course? I can hear the processing. If I use dynamic notching in Pro-Q, it sounds more natural and more targeted.
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Still playing with Soothe 2 and DSEQ along with Pro-Q. Anyone else find Soothe and DSEQ to sound a bit grainy and course? I can hear the processing. If I use dynamic notching in Pro-Q, it sounds more natural and more targeted.
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes I can hear the processing on both so I have them on very subtle settings. I haven't tried using Pro-Q in this context though as I don't own it and already demoed it a while back.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So after further testing between Soothe and DSEQ I threw Gullfoss into the mix using Tame and the frequency selector only working on the upper frequency spectrum where the harshness lies. Blind testing myself I could get them all close but I preferred Gullfoss first, DSEQ a very close second and Soothe last. As I already own Gullfoss I'm going to save myself a considerable outlay even with the BF 40% off and just use Gullfoss.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
So after further testing between Soothe and DSEQ I threw Gullfoss into the mix using Tame and the frequency selector only working on the upper frequency spectrum where the harshness lies. Blind testing myself I could get them all close but I preferred Gullfoss first, DSEQ a very close second and Soothe last. As I already own Gullfoss I'm going to save myself a considerable outlay even with the BF 40% off and just use Gullfoss.
Thanks. I'll look at Gullfoss. I keep forgetting to.

Soothe is taking advantage of hype and cranked their price up so much, considering the poor economy we're having. Not worth it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Such different tools I wouldn’t even consider them for the same purpose
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto ➡️
Indeed some people will always try to put the square through the triangle slot and complain it doesn't work properly lol.
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Counterpoint: reeeeeally like Soothe2, and feel like Gullfoss has been mostly a bust for me. I like the idea of it, and like dynamic eq in general, and Gullfoss has been "instructional" in a way, but I nearly always seem to prefer more manual control using ProQ 3 and TDR Nova GE.

There's a lot of great choices these days, thankfully, and it's definitely true to make what you have work for you. But still, haven't come across anything that quite does what Soothe does. Same with Gullfoss, but just never seems to work for me personally, while other people seem to love it.
Old 1st December 2020

🎧 10 years
I've not tried gullfoss; soothe works for what it does. Of course you can overdo it, sometimes the window is narrow and it definitely pays to get involved in tweaking..but it works. Does what it does with no grain for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm always open to learning. A big reason I spend so much time on GS. I had been excitedly preparing for some time to buy Soothe in the BF sale but even with 40% off it was still quite an outlay for me so I had to justify it to myself and see if what I already had would get me close enough.

Do you mind explaining how Gullfoss and Soothe are working differently in the context I described please? Targeting only the high frequencies and applying only Tame. Not disputing your statement just curious to learn how they are different?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Precisely.

Soothe I see more as a targeted fixer type plug-in (de-harshing, de-essing), whereas Gullfoss is nice for adding a slight bit of clarity and overall definition enhancement by unmasking things a bit more than you might have already done yourself.

I always seem to be able to apply a bit of Gullfoss and get an improvement on whatever I'm applying it to. That being said, you can overdo it if you aren't careful, just like you can get carried away with a good BBQ sauce.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➡️
Precisely.

Soothe I see more as a targeted fixer type plug-in (de-harshing, de-essing), whereas Gullfoss is nice for adding a slight bit of clarity and overall definition enhancement by unmasking things a bit more than you might have already done yourself.

I always seem to be able to apply a bit of Gullfoss and get an improvement on whatever I'm applying it to. That being said, you can overdo it if you aren't careful, just like you can get carried away with a good BBQ sauce.
You do realise Gullfoss has both Recover and Tame functions? Recover for adding and Tame for removing to put it simplistically.
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
After a bunch of time playing with it, I feel these type of plugins just suck the life out of recordings. If theres a problem, I get better results with a single dynamic sliver and retain most of the life and excitement.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
After a bunch of time playing with it, I feel these type of plugins just suck the life out of recordings. If theres a problem, I get better results with a single dynamic sliver and retain most of the life and excitement.
This was my experience with Soothe too unless I had depth at around 0.3
Anything more and there was a veil over the audio.

I got to wondering if I was just removing what an exciter might put back?

You have to have very good aural perception to work with these kind of tools without going overboard.
Gear Head

I recommend you to try another approach:
1.Instead of lowering the depth knob,increase it till you get the desired (taming) result.
Then 2. Play with the mix knob till you get your best of both (natural/problem fixed) balance.
Sometimes I get better results this way and sometimes your approach get's me there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArimaTribe ➡️
1.Instead of lowering the depth knob,increase it till you get the desired (taming) result.
Then 2. Play with the mix knob till you get your best of both (natural/problem fixed) balance.
Sometimes I get better results this way and sometimes your approach get's me there.
Good suggestion thank you. I will try that. Will be funny if I change my opinion of Soothe now that BF is over!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Good suggestion thank you. I will try that. Will be funny if I change my opinion of Soothe now that BF is over!
Meh, ill just buy the tube amp i wanted. i have enough plugins
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Gullfloss also works with broader curves. I think it's indispensable for surfing requencies on a full mix and keeping the low mids in check for clarity, but I don't think it's a substitute for the kind of narrow mid and upper mid resonances that Soothe addresses.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Quote:
This was my experience with Soothe too unless I had depth at around 0.3
Anything more and there was a veil over the audio.

I got to wondering if I was just removing what an exciter might put back?

You have to have very good aural perception to work with these kind of tools without going overboard.
I do think it's personal - I often hear REALLY resonant vocals on even quite big pop and rock tracks, and on guitars too - things getting quite harsh. It doesn't seem to bother some; it really bothers me - I have to tame that stuff, often using RX, but also using Soothe and some fixed notches.

(I've seen both Tom Elmhirst and John Hanes talk about the same stuff; it's good to know I'm not alone!).

It is easy to overdo, and sometimes I go back and re-edit/dial back the processing.

And I guess sometimes one person's excitement is another's annoying resonances!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArimaTribe ➡️
I've been taking this approach with the Eoisis de-esser too. I find that often makes it more even/less automation needed if you're careful.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You do realise Gullfoss has both Recover and Tame functions? Recover for adding and Tame for removing to put it simplistically.
Yes I do realize that.
Old 3rd December 2020
I've found myself using Soothe 2 much more than I did Soothe 1. For anyone questioning if it's worth it, I've been expanding it's use to a lot more instruments other than vocals. It's amazing on bass and low end sounds to get those wilds notes down low under control. I occasionally use it on mixbuss as well if I think it can use it with a very low wet/dry mix. Overheads have become a great spot to use it too. I know it's pricey and there are other "similar" tools out there, but to my knowledge Soothe gives you much more control compared to something like Gullfoss, which I demoed a while back. Both great tools, but different. I don't overuse to by any means, but I have been expanding it's use for sure.
📝 Reply