The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oeksound Soothe2
Old 26th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Hey PM if you don't mind a quick a little explanation about your workflow using RX as a de-esser?

Are loading the entire vocal into stand-alone and going through it that way or are you highlighting problems and zapping with the de-ess module in Audio Suite or?

I guess it obviously depends on the source audio, right? But just wondering previously I always used a combination of automation and either Fabfilter or Waves de-esser but now I have RX 7 and looking into ways of using it.

Cheers!

R.

P.S. Love Soothe2. Use it loads. Subtlety but loads.
With RX, if I've got time I like to beam all the vocals, section by section, into it, and sort out any issues - mouth clicks, pops and rumble, any ringing resonances and de-essing any whistling esses.

I don't generally use the de-ess module - I'm usually highlighting areas and using spectral editing to dull them down. It's also usually when there's some esses brighter than others - I'm just tucking them in and evening things out.
Old 26th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
With RX, if I've got time I like to beam all the vocals, section by section, into it, and sort out any issues - mouth clicks, pops and rumble, any ringing resonances and de-essing any whistling esses.

I don't generally use the de-ess module - I'm usually highlighting areas and using spectral editing to dull them down. It's also usually when there's some esses brighter than others - I'm just tucking them in and evening things out.
Thanks PM.

Yea I wish I would have had RX for the last big vocal I did. I had one track where I sounded like I was whistling a ditty (!) and took forever getting it reasonable with automating EQ and levels.

Going to really spend a few days digging into RX. It's serious tool.

R.

(P.S. Still really digging Johnny Hunter!)
Old 26th August 2020
Quote:
Thanks PM.

Yea I wish I would have had RX for the last big vocal I did. I had one track where I sounded like I was whistling a ditty (!) and took forever getting it reasonable with automating EQ and levels.

Going to really spend a few days digging into RX. It's serious tool.

R.
Yes - I'm pretty sure I just scratch the surface of it, but I find it so useful!

Quote:
(P.S. Still really digging Johnny Hunter!)
Thanks! Have you heard the full EP now? it was released last week - another 2 songs to complete it!
Old 26th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Thanks! Have you heard the full EP now? it was released last week - another 2 songs to complete it!
Indeed I have. Just listened to it after I wrote my last message. And very good it is too! Gonna have to keep an eye on them. Would love to see them over here at some point but I guess that future is a way off now. Sigh.

OK. Sorry for the OT chaps!

R.
Old 27th August 2020
Gear Head

Songwriting

I’m a songwriter/producer trying to get my tracks to sound as well mixed as possible with minimal effort.
I know a little bit about mixing but I think it’s way too boring compared to making new ****.

Soothe seems like a must have, but in the demos I’ve heard/watched the difference seems way too subtle - should I just skip this one and what other “mixing-for-dummies”-plugins might you recommend?

I got Gullfoss, love that thing - more stuff like this, less copies of copied compressors - I want **** that anyone can hear not the subtle mouse fart in the background stuff
Old 27th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugeskystalker View Post
I’m a songwriter/producer trying to get my tracks to sound as well mixed as possible with minimal effort.
f
Sounds like you need to hire a mixer. Takes essentially 0 effort
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know a little bit about mixing but I think it’s way too boring compared to making new ****.

Soothe seems like a must have, but in the demos I’ve heard/watched the difference seems way too subtle - should I just skip this one and what other “mixing-for-dummies”-plugins might you recommend?

I got Gullfoss, love that thing - more stuff like this, less copies of copied compressors - I want **** that anyone can hear not the subtle mouse fart in the background stuff
Izotope's Music Production Suite 3.1 on offer now I would say is the best deal currently for stuff like that to start off with. Has literally everything you could need included up to a very good level, loads of presets and help with mixing and mastering, unmasking, inter-plugin communication. Best product for the money imo.
Old 27th August 2020
Quote:
Indeed I have. Just listened to it after I wrote my last message. And very good it is too! Gonna have to keep an eye on them. Would love to see them over here at some point but I guess that future is a way off now. Sigh.

OK. Sorry for the OT chaps!

R.
Thanks again

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2mix.com View Post
Sounds like you need to hire a mixer. Takes essentially 0 effort
I was gonna say - it's hardly a way to strive for excellence!
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

try tbproaudio DSEQ! u can use it from subtle to very obvious and it have a few more great features. it took nearly all my soothe tasks over!
Old 28th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Izotope's Music Production Suite 3.1 on offer now I would say is the best deal currently for stuff like that to start off with. Has literally everything you could need included up to a very good level, loads of presets and help with mixing and mastering, unmasking, inter-plugin communication. Best product for the money imo.
Agree with this. Izotope has the best smart mixing package IMO. Gullfoss is cool but I would hesitate to slap it on everything, does more harm than good often in my experience. To the question on Soothe, it's great and a good tool for fixing harsh freq but again, please don't slap it on everything unless you want the life essence sucked out of your mix.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Part of the trickiness with soothe is its sweet spot is so dang small. Goes from nice to doo doo very very quickly. Slowing the release momentarily will make effect easier to hear.
Old 29th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

Rule of thumb for songwriting and music production could be summed up as "Put **** in, get **** out."
You will never get good results with minimal effort, regardless of the tools that you have. There are no shortcuts. You learn by experience, which takes time and effort.
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
try tbproaudio DSEQ! u can use it from subtle to very obvious and it have a few more great features. it took nearly all my soothe tasks over!
DSEQ greatly changes the sound by adding dirt.
Soothe works cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
Oeksound Soothe2-screenshot-2020-08-31-20.29.06.jpg   Oeksound Soothe2-screenshot-2020-08-31-20.31.59.jpg   Oeksound Soothe2-screenshot-2020-08-31-20.33.37.jpg  
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Soothe works cleaner.
Yep
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Soothe works cleaner.
This post went down a lot better here than in the DSEQ 2 thread lol.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Just downloaded a demo of this to see if I'm into it before buying it. I tried running it as VST in Maschine on a snare drum group, and it's causing crazy latency. As soon as I turn on the plug in, my snare starts hitting like an 8th note late. Anyone know what's causing that?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsGod View Post
Just downloaded a demo of this to see if I'm into it before buying it. I tried running it as VST in Maschine on a snare drum group, and it's causing crazy latency. As soon as I turn on the plug in, my snare starts hitting like an 8th note late. Anyone know what's causing that?
Does Maschine have delay compensation, and do you have it enabled?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsGod View Post
It introduces latency, so that's what is causing that, not uncommon on many plugins. I guess Maschine doesn't have latency compensation, not familiar with it. Works perfectly fine in a DAW w/ latency compensation, but I dont track with it for that reason, along with lots of plugins that also fall into that category.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
It introduces latency, so that's what is causing that, not uncommon on many plugins. I guess Maschine doesn't have latency compensation, not familiar with it. Works perfectly fine in a DAW w/ latency compensation, but I dont track with it for that reason, along with lots of plugins that also fall into that category.
Yeah definitely not for tracking.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
Does Maschine have delay compensation, and do you have it enabled?
Ahh, I see thanks for answers ya'll. A basic Google search is looking like Maschine does not have an latency compensation.
📝 Reply