The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio Now Shipping the OVox Vocal ReSynthesis
Old 16th January 2020
News Desk Editor

Waves Audio Now Shipping the OVox Vocal ReSynthesis-ovox-fullsize1.jpg

The NAMM Show, Anaheim, CA, January 16, 2020 — Waves Audio (booth 15302), the world’s leading developer of professional audio signal processing technologies and leading maker of audio plugins for mixing, music production, mastering, sound design, broadcast, post-production and live sound, is now shipping the OVox Vocal ReSynthesis.

Transform your vocals with Waves OVox, the next-generation voice-controlled synthesizer and vocal effects processor. You can use OVox as a plugin or standalone app (with or without a DAW) to create rich vocoder, talkbox, harmonizer, pitch/tune, vocal arpeggiation effects and beyond, with superior sound quality and instant results.

Whether you’re a producer, musician or engineer, the Waves OVox Vocal ReSynthesis places an unprecedented menu of vocal synthesis and vocal morphing options in your hands—from classic Daft Punk-style vocoding to futuristic vocal effects that defy category.

OVox delivers its ultra-high-resolution sound quality thanks to Waves’ Organic ReSynthesis® (ORS) technology, which takes your vocal signal and breaks it down to its core “DNA” elements—amplitude, pitch, and formant. It then re-synthesizes these elements to create a new pristine processed signal, without any of the artifacts that sometimes plague vocal synth-type instruments.

OVox’s workflow is instant, with none of the difficult routing, typical of other vocoders and vocal synthesizers. Just insert OVox as a plugin, or fire it up as a standalone app – sing, hum, speak or beatbox into it, and hear the magic happen.

Furthermore, MIDI control is optional, meaning that you can use OVox without a keyboard or controller: simply use your voice (or a recorded vocal) to trigger automatic chords, harmonies or scales, using OVox’s automatic Note Mapper.

You can choose from hundreds of OVox presets. Tweak them using the basic controls in OVox’s Main View, including Tune, Formant, and macro effect and modulation blending options. And for those who wish to delve deeper: open up OVox’s Expanded View, which unlocks a world of vocal-morphing possibilities:

The Expanded View offers detailed control of OVox’s key component, the Formant Filter, which enables the OVox synth to mimic the human voice so accurately, by imitating the effect of different sizes of vocal folds.

For extra morphing power, you get nine independent drag-and-drop modulators that can modulate any control within the plugin. These include four LFO/Sequencer modulators with your choice between 40 LFO shapes (plus the ability to draw your own custom shapes) and 16-step sequencer patterns; two traditional ADSR modulators; and three unique Organic ReSynthesis modulators that use the amplitude, pitch, and formant characteristics of your vocal to modulate other controls in the plugin.

For extra depth and richness, OVox boasts two vocal synthesis engines, OVox 1 and OVox 2, which you can control separately, based on a built-in eight-voice polyphonic synthesizer.

OVox is amazing on vocals and incredible on anything else. You can experiment and discover unique results with OVox on drums, bass and other instruments. It’s also an amazing sounding synth in its own right, even when not triggered by vocals or other external sounds.

OVox features:
  • Voice-controlled synth and vocal processor for endless vocal manipulation
  • Powered by Waves Organic ReSynthesis® technology
  • Create classic vocoder and talkbox effects to futuristic vocal morphing
  • Plugin or standalone app
  • Easy to use, no routing necessary
  • Pitch/tune, harmonizer, vocal arpeggiation, more
  • Packed with hundreds of presets
  • Automatic Note Mapper to trigger chords, harmonies or scales from your vocal
  • Sing straight into OVox — or use a MIDI keyboard, guitar, or any instrument as a carrier
  • Built-in 8-voice synthesizer with dual high-resolution synth engines
  • Nine customizable LFOs/Sequencer, ADSR and ORS modulators
  • Six modulatable FX: AutoPan, Chorus, Compressor, Delay, Distortion, Reverb
  • Fully modulatable four-band EQ
  • Coming soon: SoundGrid-compatibility for real-time low-latency live use and NKS-ready for Native Instruments Maschine and Komplete Kontrol

Waves OVox Vocal ReSynthesis is the next-generation voice-controlled synthesizer and vocal effects processor. The human voice is a unique and original instrument — the richest in expression and the fullest in color. Create rich vocoder, talkbox, harmonizer, pitch/tune, vocal arpeggiation effects and beyond, with superior sound quality and instant results. OVox turns your vocal — any vocal — into an even more limitless musical palette. With OVox, the ultimate instrument is you.

Waves OVox product page: https://www.waves.com/plugins/ovox-vocal-resynthesis
Attached Thumbnails
Waves Audio Now Shipping the OVox Vocal ReSynthesis-ovox-fullsize1.jpg  
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you Looks good can’t wait to use it
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Yet another plugin not included in Mercury...
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Spent ½ hour with tech support trying to explain that I own mercury and ALL the instruments in INSPIRE bundle except for the new one. The upgrade price was $140 to the INSPIRE bundle and it was saying I get three 'new' instruments. Not so. I owned them already. Well sir its an automated system.... blah blah blah
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

This is INCREDIBLY CORNY...

https://youtu.be/eQia1MlJTis
Old 17th January 2020
DSK
Lives for gear

I think it's very cool tbh
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

I just tried it at NAMM, pretty fun! Nice mix between vocoder and talkbox. It has lots of other possibilities, I was told, but I only tried it briefly.

I’ve been looking for something like this and am happy it’s here. Definitely gonna cop that.
Old 17th January 2020
This looks fun. It's too bad they're trying so hard to exclude new plugins from the Mercury Bundle. I guess they figure too many of us own Mercury so they won't make money, but it would give me incentive to renew WUP if they were more generous about including all plugins.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Addict

Anything that iZotope Vocalsynth 2 can’t do?
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse View Post
Anything that iZotope Vocalsynth 2 can’t do?
I don’t know if it was v2, but when I demoed that I couldn’t get any satisfying vocoder/talkbox sounds out of it. YMMV
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Just saw it at NAMM, believe it or not it was one of the coolest things I saw today.
Its vocoder sounds a little more vintage and usable than VocalSynth and definitely it’s a lot easier to enjoy its presets (thousands BTW), also it follows the vocal pitch and behaves almost like a trigger for other cool sounds, all very usable. Lots of tweaking possible under the hood too. Definitely a great release!
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Just saw it at NAMM, believe it or not it was one of the coolest things I saw today.
Assuming you saw a few things, doesn’t say much for the show...
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Assuming you saw a few things, doesn’t say much for the show...

Does it mean you didn't have a chance to go? The show is awesome. I just posted here because I saw the plugin and liked it.
For sure, everything is subjective, so if you are into guitar effects.. don't look into vocoder plugins if you need to know about NAMM, Ray
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its vocoder sounds a little more vintage and usable than VocalSynth and definitely it’s a lot easier to enjoy its presets (thousands BTW), also it follows the vocal pitch and behaves almost like a trigger for other cool sounds, all very usable. Lots of tweaking possible under the hood too. Definitely a great release!
interested in your thoughts about the under the hood stuff you spoke of?
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Nice to see the Violet Design Amethyst (I guess Vintage) being in the video..
Hopefully they’ll get some recognition with this.. helluva mic!

Sorry for the off topic..
On topic: sound like a great plug and quite usable versatile for a lot of stuff, also less “modern” or extreme as the ones showed in the video..

Nice..

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 17th January 2020 at 12:59 PM..
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

I will check that out. Nearly bought izotope vocal synth in the last sale.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Vocal Synth 2 had a lot of promise, but it's such a mess. The UI is clunky, and it's unnecessarily rough on the CPU.

I demoed this yesterday and found it more usable immediately.

Any other software vocoders out there that still hold up?
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

This will be on every commercial pop/hiphop record for the next 5 years.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

I'm trying the demo. I think I may buy this. Not sure yet.

I was looking for a vocal effect (not sure what I wanted, though) and thought it would be fun to just flip through the presets, quite a few presets. I got to a preset called "Dreaming" and my voice changed to a piano sound. I made a few small changes, added delay and reverb, and my "vocal" turned into an interesting background piano-style pad. A result which had never even crossed my mind. But it works. And I dig it.

I'll get to play with it more over the weekend. It has generated a number of new ideas. That alone makes me seriously consider this plugin.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does it mean you didn't have a chance to go? The show is awesome. I just posted here because I saw the plugin and liked it.
For sure, everything is subjective, so if you are into guitar effects.. don't look into vocoder plugins if you need to know about NAMM, Ray
Been to a lot of NAMM shows my friend. I’m pretty good at gauging the temperature…

EDIT: I should have added, I don’t really like what I’m hearing come out of that plug-in. So, I was using that as a component of my original comment…
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Been to a lot of NAMM shows my friend. I’m pretty good at gauging the temperature…

EDIT: I should have added, I don’t really like what I’m hearing come out of that plug-in. So, I was using that as a component of my original comment…
I’m glad you are a lucky person too. So you are just sour about a plugin you don’t own and know very little about. Keep commenting bad about it Ray, it helps your ego.

EDIT: And attack all the people who like it! That’s like a booster for your persona too! It will make you feel fantastic about yourself.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m glad you are a lucky person too. So you are just sour about a plugin you don’t own and know very little about. Keep commenting bad about it Ray, it helps your ego.
What does my ego have to do with me not liking something? And who are you to tell me I can’t have an opinion? I own most of the plug-ins that Waves makes. Sometimes they miss…
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
What does my ego have to do with me not liking something? And who are you to tell me I can’t have an opinion? I own most of the plug-ins that Waves makes. Sometimes they miss…
Yes! Make sure you point that out to anyone who has a different opinion from yours in the following posts! Especially 5 minutes after a product announcement with absolutely zero experience about the product. Who am I? I'm the one you quoted earlier because I had a different opinion from yours, so you could feel great about yourself.

Last edited by baslotto; 18th January 2020 at 12:50 AM..
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear
I'm frankly impressed from what I've heard from this.

Just now sure how to incorporate it. It could be cheesy, dunno.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
interested in your thoughts about the under the hood stuff you spoke of?
After downloading the demo and playing with it this thing is pretty massive. There are 4 sequencers you can play with, using a MIDI keyboard will trigger the tonality but you can decide if you want it to control the pitch or let the plugin follow your sequencer completely. This helps if you don't want to physically play the keyboard like in a normal vocoder. Definitely the manual is necessary to have full control of this synth but what it does right out of the box is pretty impressive and very musical.
Note: many presets are tempo dependent, they will have a pre-set sequencer in control of the key and tonality of what it does, so open up the plugin at its multiple levels to get control over them.
Old 19th January 2020
News Desk Editor

Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Yet another plugin not included in Mercury...
Indeed! So much for the Mercury Bundle the mother of ALL WAVES plugins.
It's included in the "Inspire Virtual Instruments Collection" from half of the stuff
was and still is part of the Mercury Bundle.

This time around they dont get away with the "abbey road license" excuse.
I paid a effin' premium then and always the WUP. This will stay in the past tense.

DISSAPPOINTED!
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Waves keeps asking questions nobody asked with their plugins.

And that's why they're still #1 plugin company and this is why I love them so much.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post

And that's why they're still #1 plugin company and this is why I love them so much.
like what?
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
There's usually a reason no one's asking those questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
like what?
Like, "What would happen if we took a silly looking hipster, loaded him up on monster energy drinks and gave him a vocoder but colored the knobs like Miami in 1989, and left him alone with a video camera running. We could put it on youtube."
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search