The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AVID MTRX Studio
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Unless something has changed, DVS isn't great for low buffer settings. It's been a while since I've played with DVS though, but the last I did, the rednet PCIeR card was a better choice if you need low latency.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason kalman View Post
So for a home recording hobbyist like myself with an Omni, I/O, Pre, HDX setup, is there a compelling reason to upgrade to the MTRX studio? Are the converters noticeably better than the Omni or I/O interfaces? I don't see a need for Dante since I am not running a studio or complex recording setups. I'm just curious if I'm missing a reason to get the MTRX studio. Any input would be much appreciated
thanks,
Jason
I'm in the same boat but have the Omni + PCI Native card. Is the MTRX converters noticeably better than my Omni?

2 x headphones out and monitoring outputs are nice, but I would like to se at least 4 x mic pres.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I'm in the same boat but have the Omni + PCI Native card. Is the MTRX converters noticeably better than my Omni?
Can't comment on the MTRX Studio (just put in an order for one yesterday from earmarked first-delivery stock; so will probably get it sent over today), but the MTRX (full version) converters are noticeably better than the Omni (I have both hooked to the same HDX system.)

I'll compare it to the Studio when the Studio arrives (between all three -- I have extra HDX card ports open; I don't think there should be an issue with DADman on a mixed system like this.)

The MTRX Studio, though, won't be a part of this system in the end but is going to another system and replacing a MADI HD in the process.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

On paper the MTRX Studio specs are comparable to the omni, with slightly worse dynamic range.

The specs on the full size MTRX, again on paper, are vastly superior to the MTRX studio.
The numbers don’t suggest anything being similar in both devices.

But then again, there’s more to it than specs alone. However, I would think the omni and mtrx studio shouldn’t sound too different.

I’d upgrade for functionality, not sonics.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

So difference in sonics improvement between Omni and MTRX Studio is small but Omni compared to MTRX is huge?

Is this the full MTRX?
https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-mtrx
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
So difference in sonics improvement between Omni and MTRX Studio is small but Omni compared to MTRX is huge?
I don't know if anyone can accurately say the former yet. Jamie Mac was referring to paper specs.
AFAIK (and I do from my US dealer), only the European market has had ample time to compare the MTRX Studio. The MTRX Studio in the US is just now hitting dealers. I don't know about the Asian or Oceana markets -- but I haven't seen them advertising access when Europe did.

Quote:
Yes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search