The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Symphony USB
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Found an old thread about Antelope vs Apogee here on GS...

Apogee Symphony MK2 vs Antelope Goliath converters

Sounds like I may go with the Symphony...I'm on Mac..
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDroste View Post
Gotta save my pennies... just bought the Mac Pro

I am thinking of switching over to the Mac Pro (I currently have an iMac (late 2015, 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM) but noticing little annoyances lately where I have to restart the computer (video playing in super speed, iTunes glitching, etc.)

Did you get the XDR monitor? monitor stand?
Old 15th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicEsquire View Post
I am thinking of switching over to the Mac Pro (I currently have an iMac (late 2015, 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM) but noticing little annoyances lately where I have to restart the computer (video playing in super speed, iTunes glitching, etc.)

What audio interface are you using?
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
What audio interface are you using?
Currently the Apogee Element 24 (Thunderbolt 2) but am really interested in the Antelope Audio Zen Synergy Core
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

No bought an HP monitor
Old 16th February 2020
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
According to Apogee, the SE are their latest technology & are labeled Mastering Converters. Only found, as of now, on the 2x6.
Old 16th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXBOSS View Post
Hey man, I am eyeing the Trak 2 and have Symphony I/O... How's that pre vs standalone ones... and fan noise? looking at getting it and forgoing saving for a 1073 or the likes... vocals only.
If your post is sincere, no, I wouldn't pick it over a 1073 for vocals. It's clean as can be. Acoustic guitar, maybe, but I usually like the 1073. The Trak 2 has more gain, less noise, and less character.
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
looks great - wondering if can be used as an expansion/control of an existing Symphony mk2 system.

Also, does this mean dualpath is coming to the rest of the Symphony line?
I use this: https://apogeedigital.com/shop/apogee-control
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Found an old thread about Antelope vs Apogee here on GS...

Apogee Symphony MK2 vs Antelope Goliath converters

Sounds like I may go with the Symphony...I'm on Mac..
I made the same move ... From Antelope to Symphony/ Love it.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Does anyone know yet if Symphony Desktop can be used as standalone AD/DA, without a computer connected?
Old 19th February 2020
hhhmmm....no BNC ..so you will need to clock with what ever your using if you want to use the ADAT in/out.. I would think the SYM clock is crazy good - thats a turn off ..
Old 19th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
hhhmmm....no BNC ..so you will need to clock with what ever your using if you want to use the ADAT in/out.. I would think the SYM clock is crazy good - thats a turn off ..
Your external device could just clock from Symphony's digital out.
Old 19th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Your external device could just clock from Symphony's digital out.
you always have to clock via the ADAT source- if you want to use ADAT I/O .. I'm doing it via AD16X at my place with an Apollo as the Interface and my AD16X as my main clock/converter ..BNC and proper termination of course.. in all my years this has always been the case ..unless things have changed and it's different now

I wanted to ask you if you still use your ..or miss your AD16X ..VS the symphony MKII ..I think I'm done with Apollo for my next upgrade.. I think its going to be the Symphony system 16X16 MKII ..or do you think I would be happy with an Apollo 16X .. I really LOVE the AD16X ..and can't stand the (silver) Apollo converter side ..
Old 19th February 2020
Here for the gear
Wondering what made you to move to Symphony than another Apollo?
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
you always have to clock via the ADAT source- if you want to use ADAT I/O .. I'm doing it via AD16X at my place with an Apollo as the Interface and my AD16X as my main clock/converter ..BNC and proper termination of course.. in all my years this has always been the case ..unless things have changed and it's different now

I wanted to ask you if you still use your ..or miss your AD16X ..VS the symphony MKII ..I think I'm done with Apollo for my next upgrade.. I think its going to be the Symphony system 16X16 MKII ..or do you think I would be happy with an Apollo 16X .. I really LOVE the AD16X ..and can't stand the (silver) Apollo converter side ..

I was impressed with just the Twin X. I imagine the X16 to be sick. Try both.
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Currently the Apogee Element 24 (Thunderbolt 2) but am really interested in the Antelope Audio Zen Synergy Core
I asked that question as I used to get similar issues when I was using the Apogee Duet MK1, all kinds of weird audio issues both with Logic and iTunes (it started after maybe 2nd or 3rd year of use). I was forever restarting my Mac. It's what made me start looking for a new interface and eventually my Apollo journey.
Old 20th February 2020
Use WC if you're clocking more than one external device. There's no difference in clocking a single device from WC vs ADAT. So, Apollo can simply be set to ADAT as clock source.

IME, the AD16X was the last of the classic "Apogee sound". Still a great sounding converter that I'd happily use on money tracks.

Starting with Symphony (original), the "Apogee sound" was replaced with a still musical, but more transparent sound. Still top shelf, and I consider Symphony to be superior, but I still have a preference for AD16X on some tracks and still keep thinking of picking one up again.
So, yeah, I miss it.

Quote:

Old 20th February 2020
Is the AD/DA for this superior to the Element 88?
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsong View Post
Is the AD/DA for this superior to the Element 88?
According to info from Apogee it's using Symphony conversion, so definitely a yes, if so.
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Use WC if you're clocking more than one external device. There's no difference in clocking a single device from WC vs ADAT. So, Apollo can simply be set to ADAT as clock source.

IME, the AD16X was the last of the classic "Apogee sound". Still a great sounding converter that I'd happily use on money tracks.

Starting with Symphony (original), the "Apogee sound" was replaced with a still musical, but more transparent sound. Still top shelf, and I consider Symphony to be superior, but I still have a preference for AD16X on some tracks and still keep thinking of picking one up again.
So, yeah, I miss it.
i'm clocking my IO with WC from AD16X->Apollo->Rosetta200.. all BNC and terminated correctly..sounds great

I was thinking about the symphony desktop not having WC .. so it's not something I would invest in at this time..I think I'm going straight to a SYM MKII 16X16 from here
thanks for the update on the symphony vs AD16X

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Pardon my ignorance, but why are some people concerned about the usb-c connection?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_I_Crawl View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but why are some people concerned about the usb-c connection?
l

Latency
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
l

Latency
Ah. Is it possible Apogee found a low latency solution?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
l

Latency
Just thought of something. I bet that they found a way to get reasonable latency and low cpu drain if you run Logic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Yep, Apogee and Logic are well integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_I_Crawl View Post
Just thought of something. I bet that they found a way to get reasonable latency and low cpu drain if you run Logic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It just would’ve been nice if they had use thunderbolt but then that might take out the windows market
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have one on preorder (newly built pc is not loving TB3, had a bunch of problems with a Twin Mk2 but not with USB interfaces). I've contacted Apogee and received confirmation that the production of these units has been affected by the most recent human malware, so it's possible that they'll miss the Q1 release target.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proggm View Post
I have one on preorder (newly built pc is not loving TB3, had a bunch of problems with a Twin Mk2 but not with USB interfaces). I've contacted Apogee and received confirmation that the production of these units has been affected by the most recent human malware, so it's possible that they'll miss the Q1 release target.
Malware?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Human malware. Aka coronavirus.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

A reference to COVID-19 and its impact on supply chains.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search