The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Barefoot Sound Introduces Footprint02
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
can anyone attest to headroom limitations with these? on the NAMM floor i remember them red-lighting pretty quickly. obviously it’s a ton of air to move on a show room floor, but do these have enough headroom to playback loud in a 200-300 sq ft space? i monitor pretty low but when clients are in, i like to get some air moving in the room
I think the Footprint01 would serve you better for that size
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
can anyone attest to headroom limitations with these? on the NAMM floor i remember them red-lighting pretty quickly. obviously it’s a ton of air to move on a show room floor, but do these have enough headroom to playback loud in a 200-300 sq ft space? i monitor pretty low but when clients are in, i like to get some air moving in the room
my room isn't as big as that, it's like 120sq ft and I haven't seen a red light yet. I'm surprised at the level I get from them. My Neuman kh120 would crap out way lower.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbonez View Post
my room isn't as big as that, it's like 120sq ft and I haven't seen a red light yet. I'm surprised at the level I get from them. My Neuman kh120 would crap out way lower.
mine is actually about the same size as yours, just a tad larger at 150 sq ft, so i’m thinking 02 might work. trying to plan ahead and do the math on whether i should just invest in 01’s in case i ever do get into a larger space like a 200-300 sq ft. if you get a chance, would you mind pulling a db meter on your desk and seeing how loud you can push them on “flat” mode before the limiter starts kicking in?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
mine is actually about the same size as yours, just a tad larger at 150 sq ft, so i’m thinking 02 might work. trying to plan ahead and do the math on whether i should just invest in 01’s in case i ever do get into a larger space like a 200-300 sq ft. if you get a chance, would you mind pulling a db meter on your desk and seeing how loud you can push them on “flat” mode before the limiter starts kicking in?
I've got the Footprint 01's and my control room is around 150 square feet (I think it's 14x11). I just pulled up a pop mix I did yesterday and pushed them, the meter on my phone is reading right at 100 dB when the limiter is kicking in (its just starting to flicker red). They sound a little louder than I would have them when I'm doing my final "loud" test at the end of the day once everything's mixed. There's no way I would walk in with a fresh set of ears and ever turn them this loud.

The footprints have always felt loud enough for pushing mixed music. I do wish they had a little more headroom during drum and bass guitar tracking sometimes. When I'm honing in on shaping the low end on a kick drum, there are a lot of times I have to catch myself and turn things down because the limiters are kicking in. They really are there more for catching the low end than anything else. Same with tracking bass guitar in the control room, I've had at least 2 bassists ask if I can push the level more. I had to throw an LA-2A on their bass inside my UA Apollo and push it pretty hard to get them enough level without the limiters kicking in.

My control room is on the smaller side for a "professional" studio that's not just a personal space. I think if you had anything larger than a 200 square foot control room where you're pushing mixes for clients, you might want something a bit bigger. My friend has a pair of footprints in his smaller little side room at his house that's well treated. I don't think he's ever seen the limiter come on with his.
Attached Thumbnails
Barefoot Sound Introduces Footprint02-screen-shot-2020-05-25-5.02.26-pm.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I've got the Footprint 01's and my control room is around 150 square feet (I think it's 14x11). I just pulled up a pop mix I did yesterday and pushed them, the meter on my phone is reading right at 100 dB when the limiter is kicking in (its just starting to flicker red). They sound a little louder than I would have them when I'm doing my final "loud" test at the end of the day once everything's mixed. There's no way I would walk in with a fresh set of ears and ever turn them this loud.

The footprints have always felt loud enough for pushing mixed music. I do wish they had a little more headroom during drum and bass guitar tracking sometimes. When I'm honing in on shaping the low end on a kick drum, there are a lot of times I have to catch myself and turn things down because the limiters are kicking in. They really are there more for catching the low end than anything else. Same with tracking bass guitar in the control room, I've had at least 2 bassists ask if I can push the level more. I had to throw an LA-2A on their bass inside my UA Apollo and push it pretty hard to get them enough level without the limiters kicking in.

My control room is on the smaller side for a "professional" studio that's not just a personal space. I think if you had anything larger than a 200 square foot control room where you're pushing mixes for clients, you might want something a bit bigger. My friend has a pair of footprints in his smaller little side room at his house that's well treated. I don't think he's ever seen the limiter come on with his.
thanks for your insight on this. i think i will try and stretch up to a pair of 01's!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search