The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Novation announces new Launchpad Pro MK3
Old 14th January 2020
News Desk Editor

Novation announces new Launchpad Pro MK3-lpp-overhead-2000.jpg

Launchpad Pro is our most powerful 64-pad MIDI grid controller for producing: both in Ableton Live and with your hardware. It gives you everything you need to create and perform your tracks.

Our Deepest Ableton Live Integration
Launch clips and scenes, access mixer, device and transport controls, and quantise, duplicate and double, all without touching your mouse.

64 Super-sensitive RGB Pads
Large RGB velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads give you a perfect reflection of your Ableton Live session, making it easier than ever to see your clips and play your instruments dynamically and expressively.

Powerful Four-track, 32-step Sequencer
Create full tracks with Launchpad Pro's built-in sequencer, featuring eight-note polyphony, pattern chaining and scenes to create and trigger longer sequences, and probability and mutation controls to keep your tracks evolving.

Chord Mode
Easily explore, build and play complex chords straight from the grid; quickly find new harmonies.

Dynamic Note & Scale Modes
Effortlessly play perfectly in-key basslines, melodies, chords and leads. Launchpad Pro even knows when you’re drumming and shows your drum rack on the grid.

MIDI In, Out & Out 2/Thru
Control anything MIDI in your studio directly from Launchpad Pro.

Capture MIDI
Never lose ideas and happy accidents with on-device access to Live's Capture MIDI function.

Eight Custom Modes
Use Novation Components to customise mappings and control anything MIDI easily from Launchpad Pro.

Grab And Go
Sleek, lightweight and tough, and USB-C bus-powered.

Get Started Easily
Use our Easy Start Tool to get all the software you want, and step-by-step video guides to get you set up with Live and making music in minutes.

For more information: https://novationmusic.com/en/launch/launchpad-pro
Attached Thumbnails
Novation announces new Launchpad Pro MK3-lpp-overhead-2000.jpg  
Old 14th January 2020
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Maniac
We knew an updated Launchpad Pro was coming. It doesn't appear to be groundbreaking but all buttons are square now with descriptions.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

for a bit more you can buy abelton push..i think its too much and doesn't offer a great deal more than the normal launchpads.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Head

I was going to get a circuit to control 2 external synths because i just love the layout of the circuit but if I can get a better sequencer with this as I dont need the internal sounds of the circuit anyhow...this might be perfect.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Nut

So that's 32 steps x 8 patterns = 256 steps AND I can change the length/start/finish of each pattern AND have any combination of patterns AND 16 notes per step, note probability AND print that data to Ableton with the press of a button?

Want!
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

I bought all three newer Launchpads/Launchkey a few months ago. I dig them all, especially the Launchpad X. But now, with the release of LP Pro MK3, the X had so much potential, but absolutely squandered, without the dedicated undo, quantize, etc that COULD have been on it.

Here we are with literally, Launchpad X / Circuit / Launchkey Mini MK3 (Mutate, etc) and the SL MKIII.... all bundled into the new Launchpad Pro.... this is insane. In hindsight, why did they even release Launchpad X?

The Launchpad Pro MK3 is only $50 more than the regular Launchpad Pro (there was never a MK2 of the Launchpad Pro, from my memory)... and just $150 more than Launchpad X... with SO much more, including 4 more custom MIDI modes.

The Launchpad Pro MK3 seriously looks like it will tick all the boxes... even people pining after Push 2 (which I also have).

What I hate, though...............

The SHIFT button should be where the SETUP button is. One-handed undo/redo, click on/off, etc.
Why is CLEAR (Delete) up on the left side (I rarely use that function with Ableton), and UNDO/REDO (with shift) ISN'T?

Why they don't think of these VERY important things is beyond my comprehension. Do they ever do market research? Or send out prototypes to the pros or YouTube influencers, so they can give their valued opinions? Do they ever READ the forums of our complaints, praises, suggestions?

Despite this, Launchpad Pro MK3 is going to be a hit, I guarantee it... I pre-ordered mine from Sweetwater, already. $350 for the same type of "Sessions" that are in Circuit and the SL MKIII, and all the other great stuff (and more), and $450 less than Push 2. Granted, no screens.. but holy crap, the features.... Push 2 is still incredibly dope (I have that, too)... but this is pretty damn nice. Should be the same price as the current Launchpad Pro, though.

Circuit may not be the greatest midi controller (though it can be used as one).. it's only $329 and is a sample player, and two very powerful synths, all in one.

The LP MK3 definitely looks dope, though. I've said this in other areas-- Components NEEDS to support the original Launchpad Pro, with custom MIDI modes, too. Bigtime. A single press of the User button, and 8 custom modes, just like this new Launchpad Pro. Would really make a lot of original LP owners happy. Just an FYI, Novation--- we already dropped the $300 on the Launchpad Pro... throw us a bone here, will ya?

Last edited by themixtape; 15th January 2020 at 10:13 AM..
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Nut

Can you change the octave of a pattern to go up or down on the LPPMK3?
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
for a bit more you can buy abelton push..i think its too much and doesn't offer a great deal more than the normal launchpads.
The Push isn't a standalone sequencer. So they're not the same products although they both can work with Ableton.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Addict

Nice work Novation. Now bring on Circuit Pro!
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Champ View Post
The Push isn't a standalone sequencer. So they're not the same products although they both can work with Ableton.
sorry didn't realise it was a standalone sequencer as well as a controller
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head

Any info on the note mode in this? Sadly there does not seem to be a manual yet.
I'm looking for something like a poor man's Linnstrument.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Nut

Any word on the hardware quality? Any changes to the pads or something? Of course there is more buttons in the bottom row, but I mean more like responsiveness etc.

And is the USB outlet still at the top, so the cable sticks out? I´d just love to see them make an option that allows the cable to be fed towards the bottom of the unit, as I combine multiple pads to a larger controller and the USB cable position is a pain the neck. Pretty much the only pain I have with that product, otherwise I wouldn´t use four of them .

But it´s the same with almost every hardware: If you have multiple controllers, each and every one of them asks for a an inch or so of space just to get the cabling done and this makes building your flight control station messier than it needs to be. Granted, there is angled plugs, but that´s a workaround you wouldn´t need if the case design had been done with more use cases in mind.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomind View Post
Any word on the hardware quality? Any changes to the pads or something? Of course there is more buttons in the bottom row, but I mean more like responsiveness etc.

And is the USB outlet still at the top, so the cable sticks out? I´d just love to see them make an option that allows the cable to be fed towards the bottom of the unit, as I combine multiple pads to a larger controller and the USB cable position is a pain the neck. Pretty much the only pain I have with that product, otherwise I wouldn´t use four of them .

But it´s the same with almost every hardware: If you have multiple controllers, each and every one of them asks for a an inch or so of space just to get the cabling done and this makes building your flight control station messier than it needs to be. Granted, there is angled plugs, but that´s a workaround you wouldn´t need if the case design had been done with more use cases in mind.
You can buy cables with connectors that have angles. (some can even rotate) That way you can make it as tight as possible.
Old 18th January 2020
News Desk Editor

Old 18th January 2020
Here for the gear

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this video https://youtu.be/MRt2GSjtX-Y?t=137 it seems like it has the same scales choice as Launchpad X, 16 instead of 32 previous generation had. Ridiculous downgrade!

Last edited by tomaszffffff; 18th January 2020 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Head

Love the square slab look. Hope the Launch Control XL gets the same treatment.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut

So while I think this is a great product I do feel it's again missing some cool features.

I love the workflow with pads but for 50,- more one could get a Keystep Pro which includes a lot of CV connectivity as well.
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Head

Mine is coming tomorrow. With my circuit and mono station, not sure if I will be able to work with all those colorful lights flashing!
Old 25th January 2020
Gear Addict

Just lacks one thing on that 8 x 8 board from what I can perceive -- a Chess Master game algorithm. :P
Old 25th January 2020
Gear Head

There is now a manual available: https://customer.novationmusic.com/s...er%20Guide.pdf
Old 25th January 2020
Gear Maniac

It looks to me as if the ability to write your own custom firmware has been replaced with an app for mapping, is that right?
Old 5th February 2020
M32
Lives for gear

Hey folks, i would like to upgrade to a launchpad pro MK3,
but i do not have any usb c outputs. I could easily add a pci-e to usb c card on my desktop, but i have an older windows laptop (that is still a beast) that only has usb 3, displayport and hdmi connectors.

I would like to be able to use the lp mk3 with the laptop for live/outdoors purposes.

I found some connector dongles from usb 3 to usb c female, but i can only assume these have a limited speed.
So, my question: will the lp mk3 work with such a dongle, or do i need to get a pci-e card?
Old 5th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Hey folks, i would like to upgrade to a launchpad pro MK3,
but i do not have any usb c outputs. I could easily add a pci-e to usb c card on my desktop, but i have an older windows laptop (that is still a beast) that only has usb 3, displayport and hdmi connectors.

I would like to be able to use the lp mk3 with the laptop for live/outdoors purposes.

I found some connector dongles from usb 3 to usb c female, but i can only assume these have a limited speed.
So, my question: will the lp mk3 work with such a dongle, or do i need to get a pci-e card?
On the product page..

"What’s In The Box:
- Launchpad Pro
- USB-A to USB-C Cable
- USB-C to USB-C Cable
- USB-A Power Adapter
- 3x TRS Minijack to DIN MIDI Adapters
- Safety information sheet"
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Head

Got it in the mail today. I like it very much so far. Poly-AT is great!
My only gripe: Empty and filled steps in the sequencer have almost the same color. At least for me it is almost indistinguishable. :(
Old 15th March 2020
Here for the gear
I can't believe this is the only gripe I've found about the poor contrast. It's terrible, can barely tell where notes are, even in low light!
Old 17th March 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter76 View Post
I can't believe this is the only gripe I've found about the poor contrast. It's terrible, can barely tell where notes are, even in low light!
I'll bet Novation will update this. Hopefully we don't have to wait long for that.
Old 30th March 2020
Gear Head

loopop review:
Old 10th April 2020
Here for the gear

I have been thinking to buy hardware seqencer like deluge, keystep pro but now i'm inclined to launchpad pro mk3.
now i have few questions,

using external synth, is it possible to do realtime recording?

are 8 polyphonic voices assingnable for 1 step? i read keystep pro can do that like 16 notes per one step.
if it can do these,i definitely buy it!
Old 13th April 2020
Gear Addict

Using external keyboard with midi sequencer

I am trying to record into the sequencer using my USB keyboard. The manual simply says

Quote:
Press the Record [O] button to enable live recording to the sequencer. Recording is enabled when the record button is red. When enabled, notes played in the Play Area during sequencer playback will be recorded into the sequencer. MIDI received externally via USB or the TRS MIDI In port will also be recorded.
But it's doing nothing for me. I've got an enabled midi track in Ableton, taking data from my keyboard and sending to the LPPMK3 Midi port. Record is enabled. Nothing registering on the LP. Is it just me or anyone else seeing this?

Ian
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search