The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing EVO by Audient Audio Interface Range
Old 15th January 2020
God I hate marketing hyperbole.

I like Audient consoles. This tho... I’m sure some kid making trap music will love it.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Seriously, what wasn't lame about that? I'm not sure what was more lame, that 10 second video that's completely devoid of anything, or your overplayed GIF.
Old 15th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Seriously, what wasn't lame about that? I'm not sure what was more lame, that 10 second video that's completely devoid of anything, or your overplayed GIF.
I mean it’s not a gif, but at the risk of repeating myself, your comment makes me want to advise you to look at my photo again as my current response.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
I mean it’s not a gif, but at the risk of repeating myself, your comment makes me want to advise you to look at my photo again as my current response.
Sick burn.

It’s a JPG. And now you’re just being pedantic.

Point still stands. Or do I need to communicate via memes with you?
Old 15th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Sick burn.

It’s a JPG. And now you’re just being pedantic.

Point still stands. Or do I need to communicate via memes with you?
Everyone else on this board at some point or another devolves to some sort of pathetic medium of communication, so I'll take memes, please.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

I don't get all the negativity. Marketing gimmicks and the slightly toyish looks aside, it seems interesting. I suppose it's targeted more towards people who make electronic music with occasional audio recording. That's a big market.

The fact that the I/O levels are digitally controlled is kinda nice, it means fewer uneven and worn out pots to worry about. And you can control them with software (as they mentioned in the video), although I don't know the exact requirements for that.
To me the bigger EVO doesn't make as much sense as the small one, though, because you might want to have more physical knobs and visual feedback when dealing with more channels. Unless you go all digital and tweak the levels on the computer or with a midi controller or something.

But I'm mostly interested in how the drivers perform, especially on Windows.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

So I asked Audient a couple of questions...

Good news: it supports multi-client ASIO

Bad news: the EVO 4 can't play audio from the monitor outs and headphones at the same time. When you plug in the headphones the speakers are muted. (The EVO 8 can, though.)
Old 17th January 2020
News Desk Editor

Old 17th January 2020
Deleted e09cd8e
Audient still has a brand name to protect? They already almost exclusively sell chinese OEM made budget gear. Do they have to protect that to sell even junkier stuff made from the Behringer parts bin? Most of the current Audient stuff I tried sounded a little better than B but had functionality issues B stuff, being incredibly basic, doesn’t typically have.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

It’s ironic that Behringer still battles the perception that their stuff is second rate. The fact is that their manufacturing is the best in the business. Why? They started in China before everybody else did, ran into problems with factories there, and decided to build their own factories so they could control the QA. When everybody else started manufacturing in China they ran into the same problems, and Behringer is now at least a decade ahead of the rest of the industry.

As for Audient, their ASP console is actually very nice. I have an iD14, and that sounds very good as well, but it’s kind of let down by the drivers. The hardware seems fine to me, they just need to figure out the software side.
Old 17th January 2020
Deleted e09cd8e
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
It’s ironic that Behringer still battles the perception that their stuff is second rate. The fact is that their manufacturing is the best in the business. Why? They started in China before everybody else did, ran into problems with factories there, and decided to build their own factories so they could control the QA. When everybody else started manufacturing in China they ran into the same problems, and Behringer is now at least a decade ahead of the rest of the industry.

As for Audient, their ASP console is actually very nice. I have an iD14, and that sounds very good as well, but it’s kind of let down by the drivers. The hardware seems fine to me, they just need to figure out the software side.
Best in the made in China budget gear business.

Sonically? It’s pretty bottom of the barrel but it is consistently bad. Behringer has their own factory complex and will fix their stuff that breaks down. This other China stuff is mostly made by oems with all the flaws of outsourced manufacturing. A large manufacture like Behringer making tens of thousands of cheap products CAN have uncontaminated supply chains for the parts they use. A lot of these other manufacturers will just end up with pirated electrical parts in very expensive stuff. Behringer also standardizes designs to use the same parts. This is why their clones pretty much all suck but they make a not totally awful digital live console for practically nothing and you can get 8 channels of something sonically rivaling a Focusrite Scarlet for a Benjamin with way less dodgy Chinese caps. The scarlets die more than the 8000 and 8200 anyway despite the big issues with those boxes.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Best in the made in China budget gear business.

Sonically? It’s pretty bottom of the barrel but it is consistently bad. Behringer has their own factory complex and will fix their stuff that breaks down. This other China stuff is mostly made by oems with all the flaws of outsourced manufacturing. A large manufacture like Behringer making tens of thousands of cheap products CAN have uncontaminated supply chains for the parts they use. A lot of these other manufacturers will just end up with pirated electrical parts in very expensive stuff. Behringer also standardizes designs to use the same parts. This is why their clones pretty much all suck but they make a not totally awful digital live console for practically nothing and you can get 8 channels of something sonically rivaling a Focusrite Scarlet for a Benjamin with way less dodgy Chinese caps. The scarlets die more than the 8000 and 8200 anyway despite the big issues with those boxes.
Yeah, I'm sorry, but clones that sound exactly like originals can't and don't suck (especially their synths)

Give me and everyone else a break, thanks
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e09cd8e View Post
Audient still has a brand name to protect? They already almost exclusively sell chinese OEM made budget gear. Do they have to protect that to sell even junkier stuff made from the Behringer parts bin? Most of the current Audient stuff I tried sounded a little better than B but had functionality issues B stuff, being incredibly basic, doesn’t typically have.
I have an ASP4816 console in the studio - it is fantastic. It is handmade in England...not China and is absolutely stellar. I have worked on Studer, Neve, SSL, etc. If you can't mix a quality album with the sound/functionality of their consoles it has nothing to do with the console
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
Yeah, I'm sorry, but clones that sound exactly like originals can't and don't suck (especially their synths)

Give me and everyone else a break, thanks
They DO NOT sound exactly like the originals.

Yet, they don’t have to. They’re for people who don’t have enough money, time nor concern to tell the difference. Money is the primary motivator for the buyer and the seller, and B seems not to have any shame.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
They DO NOT sound exactly like the originals.

Yet, they don’t have to. They’re for people who don’t have enough money, time nor concern to tell the difference. Money is the primary motivator for the buyer and the seller, and B seems not to have any shame.
Semantics and technicalities. Nothing will sound exactly like the original; even the original units won't sound exactly alike, (if you could measure them in detail), due to variances in production, voltages, detuning over time, etc.

But there have been many comparison videos done. They're littered about on YouTube if you doubt me. To the ear, and simple oscilloscopes, there is no obvious discernible differences.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Been using an 8 channel/ADAT Audient preamp for a few years. Works great. Use it for drums mostly. You don’t like their gear, don’t use it. Gear snobs, pffft.
Old 21st January 2020
Deleted e09cd8e
Quote:
Semantics and technicalities. Nothing will sound exactly like the original; even the original units won't sound exactly alike, (if you could measure them in detail), due to variances in production, voltages, detuning over time, etc.

But there have been many comparison videos done. They're littered about on YouTube if you doubt me. To the ear, and simple oscilloscopes, there is no obvious discernible differences.
Lol YouTube comparisons. Enjoy your JRC4580s.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

You and I must have very different ears. I will concede that they’re great bargains, generally.
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Nothing said about a "line in". No "line in"?
Old 1st February 2020
I've been looking for a small bus-powered interface with good pres - for a super portable setup - there is nothing out there with good SNR and dynamic range. The price of the EVOs is great - definitely picking up one. Will do great for backpack setup with an iPad pro or macbook.

I also have the ID44 from Audient - I've only had it for a few weeks but very happy so far. Great company. I picked that one over the UAD Apollo Twin X
Old 6th February 2020
Gear Nut
I really like that it's simple/clean, small, bus-powered and top controlled.
I wonder how the preamps in this thing are.
A bit under Audient IDxx quality perhaps but still on par or better than Focusrite Scarlett?

It seems to me like most interface preamps today are generally on such a good clean high level that it doesn't matter much.
They only have slight differences, but no major QUALITY differences.
Old 6th February 2020
Here for the gear

are these keeping volume settings ? I've heard Audient iD4 does not:

The volume setting is volatile: you have to re-adjust it every time you turn it on.

source link:
Audient ID4 opinions?
Old 14th February 2020
Looks like a good deal for those, like me, with dexterity problems. Following with interest.
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Maniac

This looks like a simplified and cheaper ID4 or ID14. Will the sound be as good ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
I kind of like it.

I have had lots of interfaces big & small.

But this might be nice to keep in the backpack.
I kind of like it too, after watching the Hop Pole video review. I have a strictly desktop-based, non portable DAW workstation, but have been looking around for an inexpensive portable "good enough" setup that I can easily carry around...

... Trying to weigh whether you benefit from the famous 80/20 rule if you get a $100-200 budget interface, or whether it's truly worth it to go for, say, a Babyface Pro or similar. I don't have a real world sense of the sonic difference to be gained from the price difference, though there are tangible features such as the ADAT I/O on the RME device that the extreme low-end portables never seem to have.

So many choices...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search