The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic launches SSL 2 and SSL 2+ Audio Interfaces
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
And a bike is totally fine for commuting 20 miles to work. I’m curious what kind of latency they’ve achieved. The latest USB3 interfaces seem to be capable of lower latencies than their USB2 predecessors. Bus protocol is not all there is to the story (I mean the USB2 Babyface pro does exist) but it’s not a confidence boost...

USB3 will not ‘perform’ better for an audio interface than USB2.
Old 14th January 2020
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
Again, USB3 vs USB2 makes no difference whatsoever, everything else being equal. Even USB vs. TB makes no real difference in terms of latency. It's a misconception that is fueled by the marketing departments.
What are you basing that assertion on?
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Addict

Do these have loopback to record their own output? I was looking to upgrade my current interface to a MOTU M4 for this feature.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Seems like a great unit at a great price; should sell like hot cakes.

I like the 4K button...maybe SSL should do a standalone unit with just the 4K effect?
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the 4k effect?
Old 14th January 2020
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsmusic View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the 4k effect?
From the SSL website:

Legacy 4K is an all-new analogue enhancement , inspired by the character of an SSL 4000 series console (often referred to as '4K'). With the Legacy 4K button, we've distilled 2 essential characteristics of the 4K sound into a single-circuit, which you can engage when you need to breath some life into 'boring' or 'dull' sounding input sources.
1st characteristic: High-Frequency EQ boost – The first thing engaging the Legacy 4K button will do is introduce a 'forward', yet musical high-frequency EQ boost, something which 4000-series EQs are known and loved for.
2nd characteristic: Subtle-Harmonic Distortion – 4K consoles are synonymous with imparting a certain 'mojo' to signals passing through them. This mojo comes through multiple stages of harmonic distortion from compressor VCAs, VCA Faders and other crucial areas like the transistor mix amps. Using modern components, we've created a circuit that injects a controlled amount of finely-tuned, sweet- sounding harmonic distortion into the signal path, helping to give your sound more edge!
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

"the best sounding mic pres in town"

Well that's a lie right there.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
"the best sounding mic pres in town"

Well that's a lie right there.
Depends on the town, I guess.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYAuM View Post
Are these prices correct?
Seem extremely low for SSL hardware.
Just checked the date and it's definitely not April 1st
I share your sentiments. I was expecting this to be 500 and 600 respectively, at the minimum lol. But I'm happy to see a quality product offering for the budget bedroom studio producers. This is great, and really gets some more competition in this segment.

I haven't heard the thing, but I'm sure at this price point, the only guys competing with them (where quality is concerned) is Audient, and maybe Motu.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasr325 View Post
It does concern me they use USB 2.0 over USB Type C (despite having the C to C connector, it only supports 2.0 bandwidth speeds). Why even make it type C if you're not going to allow full use of the type c's bandwidth?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Clearly USB C is a nod to future proofing.

As to bandwidth, 6 channels do not need much bandwidth. There’s no application for more bandwidth here.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut

Honestly this was cool at first but looking at it some more, it's kind of lame. They have average specs and are using thesycon drivers on windows not their own in house driver. Channel count is low. They are just the most bog standard interface from the looks of it that are going sell solely based on the name. I'm not particularly confident that the 4k button will add much of anything special beyond what the focusrite air option gives you. I would have liked to see the price increase by say $100 and have them add in some more features or I/O.

I don't really get why these two interfaces are different either. They might have been better off with a 2pre and a 4 pre model.

Just gonna stick with my behringer interface I guess that's been great since 14'. Really feels like we've hit a wall with interface features. Someone make an interface with an open DSP platform built in or something.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut

Just bought the SSL 2 from Sweetwater. It said In Stock. My use will be with my iPad for recording video and also field recordings with my Mac. Hope it plays nice with the iPad.
Old 14th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzbull View Post
Just bought the SSL 2 from Sweetwater. It said In Stock. My use will be with my iPad for recording video and also field recordings with my Mac. Hope it plays nice with the iPad.
Please keep us posted on experience w iPad. It looks like it'll work. If it does, looks like the perfect portable solution!
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

The suit of plugins that comes with it is very cool. Seriously these will sell like crazy
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Head

Cool but I’m gonna wait and see if they put out A Six+ or something with more i/o
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear
USB is solid when only dealing with a total of 8 or less one way traffic. They have 2 in and 4 out, 6 lanes. Past that, better off with a different protocol.
Old 14th January 2020
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Depends on the town, I guess.
I suggest High Wycombe, UK.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
USB is solid when only dealing with a total of 8 or less one way traffic. They have 2 in and 4 out, 6 lanes. Past that, better off with a different protocol.
USB 2.0 can handle a considerably larger amount of channels than that. Even budget interfaces like a umc1820+8 channel pre easily do 16 in/16 out at low latency.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
What are you basing that assertion on?
These things only have 2 or 4 lines of signal going down the usb pipeline. Are you serious that you think usb3 does something faster with only 2 or 4 signals?
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
You should tell RME they're doing it wrong as soon as possible. My MADIface does 64 channel in/out all day and is ROCK SOLID over USB. Literally NEVER had a problem. Where does this garbage hearsay come from?!
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonengineer View Post
You should tell RME they're doing it wrong as soon as possible. My MADIface does 64 channel in/out all day and is ROCK SOLID over USB. Literally NEVER had a problem. Where does this garbage hearsay come from?!
Dumb people.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Still waiting for updates for my expensive Madiextreme 128 card from SSL.
Watch out for buying products from ssl.
Possible they dont give updates in a few years so watch out!
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I suggest High Wycombe, UK.
Ha!
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

I could not find a manual on their website, so I did try to look this up.

No where in the marketing does it talk about the dynamic range of the AD DA converters.

That will be important information to me. The new MOTU M4 is offering 120 db on the DAC, which is similar to the Apollo Twin MKII. Most other desktop interfaces don't come close to that, especially in this price range.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

I wonder if they sound as great as their ALHPA converters. I remember asking them in an email at that time, if they can make mobile interfaces, because they sound of those converters was (and is) to me
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I could not find a manual on their website, so I did try to look this up.

No where in the marketing does it talk about the dynamic range of the AD DA converters.

That will be important information to me. The new MOTU M4 is offering 120 db on the DAC, which is similar to the Apollo Twin MKII. Most other desktop interfaces don't come close to that, especially in this price range.
https://www.solidstatelogic.com/interfaces/features

If you scroll down, all the info is there.

The Motu M4 seems to be the interface to beat at the moment for little interfaces. Especially with that conversion, and the low latencies people have been reporting so far. Wish we had more info about the preamps.

What I do not like in both is the monitor mix knob that will probably cause more troubles than solve any.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv0gthir View Post
https://www.solidstatelogic.com/interfaces/features

If you scroll down, all the info is there.

The Motu M4 seems to be the interface to beat at the moment for little interfaces. Especially with that conversion, and the low latencies people have been reporting so far. Wish we had more info about the preamps.

What I do not like in both is the monitor mix knob that will probably cause more troubles than solve any.
I'm not sure I could trust that being the correct number: 112 db is what we were seeing on interfaces in the 90s.

Re: MOTU M4 preamps, I've watched three reviews where the reviewer actually does their own test on the preamp, and I'm content that they are very clean and low noise, which at this price point is the best you can ask. The on Julian guy from Germany compared it to 4-5 other interfaces and they seemed at or near the top.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut

Looks like vocalstrip has been updated to version 2 for this release: https://youtu.be/PzTWZXeXpvg
Old 14th January 2020
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I'm not sure I could trust that being the correct number: 112 db is what we were seeing on interfaces in the 90s.
It stands to reason that the THD specs will not be class-leading because it appears they’re not shooting for pristine. I think these interfaces will have to be judged by ear because regardless of the specs they may be pleasing. That’s what’s most important to me; others may have a different perspective.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_guy182_ View Post
Looks like vocalstrip has been updated to version 2 for this release: https://youtu.be/PzTWZXeXpvg

The software on offer is really great!!
Will it be possible to use the AAX (I do not mean the SSL plugins, but the Avid ones) plugins with a normal copy of ProTools?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear