The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic launches SSL 2 and SSL 2+ Audio Interfaces
Old 13th January 2020
People are complaining about price.. the thing is $230. How in the world is it priced “too high”???
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

These look very cool...bus powered too...will be interesting to hear it...
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
Seems that all the plug ins are AAX only.
For the Avid plugins not the Vocal strip and drum strip.
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
People are complaining about price.. the thing is $230. How in the world is it priced “too high”???
Probably your average behringer consumer who spends around that price for an incredibly "meh" 4-8 channel interface.
Old 13th January 2020
Here for the gear

I was expecting the price to be double. Very interesting product. Having ADAT expansion would make it an instant purchase but I may hold back and see some reviews
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
For the Avid plugins not the Vocal strip and drum strip.
I see that I read it differently but you are correct. It might be worth it just for these plug ins. I want to see how it works with Studio One. If it is ok, Ill try it just for some additional pres and a mobile rig.

Sucks that the rest of the plug ins are aax though. I never used the free pro tools software. I left pro tools years ago but it would be nice if the free version would allow me to take someones session and bounce out for me to use in studio one. Im sure you cant do this for some pro tools reason. Can you?
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

shocked at the price I thought theyd be priced much higher..there a bargain seeing as the software you get with it is worth double than the price of the hardware.if I didn't have a uad Apollo id be all over one of these
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

No dedicated Mac drivers? No digital I/O? No thanks. Also, there is such a thing as something being priced too low. I see $230 and start thinking "there must be tons of corners cut".
Old 13th January 2020
Deleted 2137a08
[email protected]?

Can the preamps, headphones be used stand alone?

Can I just plug it in to an iphone charger and go?
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Maniac

I'm smack-dab in the middle of the target-market for this but I'm struggling to pull-the-trigger. Do I need a new interface? Will it sound that much better or different? Is it worth $280 to see the "SSL" logo on my desk and feel like I'm just a tiny bit closer to the Big Time? If I put a Waves SSL channel strip and NLS on every track - would this put me over-the-top to the "SSL Sound"? (Doubt it - it's the witch, not the wand. And this witch isn't that talented - yet).
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Head
Talking

I bought one too! I've been playing around with the idea of ditching a high input/high output interface (echo audio fire 12) and old yamaha console for analog summing and this pushed me over the edge to do it!

Should arrive tomorrow from sweetwater! Or the following day.

Anybody want a yamaha PM430 and echo audiofire 12 interface?
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

let's see how the usb performance pans out, and whether the windows drivers have what it takes... do SSL have form for usb adio?
Old 13th January 2020
Deleted 2137a08
Yes, standalone mode. Dual mono or stereo SSL preamps with harmonic distortion for $250

So you have dual mono or stereo input with 3 stereo outputs or 6 mono outputs? If you can pan the inputs 1&2 left and right and save this?

Even so, stereo input with 3 stereo outputs (one unbalanced) is great. It’s like a monitor controller with 4K mojo.

Or a vocal setup with FX bus.

Or drum bus with parallel.

Or mix bus with three monitor outputs.

Wild!

$250!
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Fantastic. If the drivers are stable. The best of audio equipment manufacturers can stumble on drivers. Hopefully this cost effective portable unit bears all the hallmark traits of a product badged SSL. Im not fussed where it's made, so long as it's workers are treated and paid fairly. Unethical production is the only thing that would stop me from grabbing one new. Congratulations SSL..
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
Fantastic. If the drivers are stable. The best of audio equipment manufacturers can stumble on drivers. Hopefully this cost effective portable unit bears all the hallmark traits of a product badged SSL. Im not fussed where it's made, so long as it's workers are treated and paid fairly. Unethical production is the only thing that would stop me from grabbing one new. Congratulations SSL..
Now I understand this..looks like audience have a rival product

Old 13th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
let's see how the usb performance pans out, and whether the windows drivers have what it takes... do SSL have form for usb adio?
It does concern me they use USB 2.0 over USB Type C (despite having the C to C connector, it only supports 2.0 bandwidth speeds). Why even make it type C if you're not going to allow full use of the type c's bandwidth?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Sweetwater is backordered now until Feb, I managed to grab 2. Excited.
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDrugLord View Post
Wow. Glad I got mine on its way!
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDrugLord View Post
Same here! I guess I got the first SSL2+ to ship out of the store. Or at least to be completed on an invoice. ??
Old 13th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasr325 View Post
It does concern me they use USB 2.0 over USB Type C (despite having the C to C connector, it only supports 2.0 bandwidth speeds). Why even make it type C if you're not going to allow full use of the type c's bandwidth?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
A couple of audio channels only use a fraction of USB2’s bandwidth anyway. Nothing would be gained with USB3 (except maybe for marketing bs).
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
A couple of audio channels only use a fraction of USB2’s bandwidth anyway. Nothing would be gained with USB3 (except maybe for marketing bs).
Correct - USB2 is perfectly fine for audio.
I’m surely getting one.
Old 14th January 2020
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasr325 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You don't need bandwidth for that low of a channel count, and contrary to what seems to be common belief here, the choice of protocol makes no humanly discernible difference in terms of latency either.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut

The specs on this thing are not great.
Very similar to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which is cheaper.

I'm quite disappointed SSL have sunk to releasing prosumer quality products.
Objectively, a second hand original UAD Apollo twin is a much better bet.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut

Does is support multi-client ASIO by any chance?

IMO the driver performance is the crucial aspect.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
No dedicated Mac drivers? No digital I/O? No thanks. Also, there is such a thing as something being priced too low. I see $230 and start thinking "there must be tons of corners cut".
‘Dedicated Mac drivers’..? Isn’t this CoreAudio compliant? It doesn’t get more Mac-dedicated than that really.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavB View Post
‘Dedicated Mac drivers’..? Isn’t this CoreAudio compliant? It doesn’t get more Mac-dedicated than that really.
Keep that guy away from a Windows PC, so help him be burdened by having to actually download a driver and install it.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quite confused as to why they have two products so close in price point. Would make more sense to keep the 2+ only as an entry model and then have a pro version with ADAT and improved specs at roughly twice the price.
Old 14th January 2020
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavB View Post
Correct - USB2 is perfectly fine for audio.
I’m surely getting one.
And a bike is totally fine for commuting 20 miles to work. I’m curious what kind of latency they’ve achieved. The latest USB3 interfaces seem to be capable of lower latencies than their USB2 predecessors. Bus protocol is not all there is to the story (I mean the USB2 Babyface pro does exist) but it’s not a confidence boost...
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
And a bike is totally fine for commuting 20 miles to work. I’m curious what kind of latency they’ve achieved. The latest USB3 interfaces seem to be capable of lower latencies than their USB2 predecessors.
Again, USB3 vs USB2 makes no difference whatsoever, everything else being equal. Even USB vs. TB makes no real difference in terms of latency. It's a misconception that is fueled by the marketing departments.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear