The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic launches SSL 2 and SSL 2+ Audio Interfaces
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

Does anyone know if these are made in China?
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

I need a back up to my apollo twin, I use to have an ID4 which sounded amazing (i think better than the apollo?) so I was already planned to get an ID14, because I don't like switching on the apollo all the time. But then I saw this SSL and it looks so much better than the plain (almost ugly) audient.

But at the end of the day ALL I CARE ABOUT IS PRES AND CONVERSION.

Which one of these sounds better???
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1647 View Post
Does anyone know if these are made in China?
seriously, do you mean will it need to be Quarantined ?? Wiped Down with something Anticeptic !!!
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Maniac

According to an email I received this morning--and a quick visit to the site just now (8:43 PM MT)--B&H (bhphotovideo.com) has both the 2 and the 2+ in stock (and one can use a payment service, there, that will reimburse one for the state tax).
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Played around w my 2+ for just a few minutes today and can say that the headphone amp is quite loud.

Using LCD-1 I couldn’t stand anything louder than 70% volume.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
seriously, do you mean will it need to be Quarantined ?? Wiped Down with something Anticeptic !!!
We'd all be sick a lot more if viruses could be caught this way.
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Boat late arriving in the UK. Significant quantities will ship out from Begbroke towards the end of the month to distributors across the world.
Not coming from Wuhan are they?
Old 15th February 2020
MMD
Here for the gear

I have the ability to get the SSL 2+ for $249 or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB for $338. What’s the better bang for my buck / quality device for the price? Feedback greatly appreciated!
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Scott,

Just wondering if you could comment on the DA conversion between the SSL2+ and the M2?

I just recently upgraded to Catalina on a new MBP and can't use my MH2882 interface unless I upgrade it with a 3D card, which costs $900 in Australia.

So I took a punt on the M2, but it is significantly more cloudy than the 2882 for playback.
Wondering whether the SSL2+ sounds significantly clearer than the M2 for pure playback??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrio View Post
I've just received my SSL 2+ and am going to do a shootout video with in in the next week or two. I'll be comparing it to my Scarlett 18i20, as well as a MOTU M2 and the the pre's on my GAP Pre73. I'll be using a few different microphones for voice and a drum machine as well.

How would I go about measuring latency? Is there anything in particular you all would like to see in the video in addition to what I'm planning on including currently?
Old 15th February 2020
Aperantly these sound great - has anyone compared with the Apollo twin x ? Or arrow? ..not specs.. ears
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut

Just got the 2 yesterday sounds great the pots feel really nice. Can someone explain to me PLEASE!! Why new interfaces the buffer can't be turned up more? I took a session I'm mixing on my old mbox 2 mini we record on my presonus 1824 at the drummers house. Then I mix at home that's why 2 interfaces. I opened a session I'm currently mixing the ssl can only be turned up to around 2000 in the buffer while the mbox can be as high as 4000 .so now if mix on the ssl the reason I bought it. Continuous drops outs unless I render tracks I wouldn't normally have to. Is there a work around?
Old 15th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpcalhoon View Post
Just got the 2 yesterday sounds great the pots feel really nice. Can someone explain to me PLEASE!! Why new interfaces the buffer can't be turned up more? I took a session I'm mixing on my old mbox 2 mini we record on my presonus 1824 at the drummers house. Then I mix at home that's why 2 interfaces. I opened a session I'm currently mixing the ssl can only be turned up to around 2000 in the buffer while the mbox can be as high as 4000 .so now if mix on the ssl the reason I bought it. Continuous drops outs unless I render tracks I wouldn't normally have to. Is there a work around?
4000..?. I have never seen that... well If you want to use the same plugs I would, Save as new session and Down sample
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
4000..?. I have never seen that... well If you want to use the same plugs I would, Save as new session and Down sample
That's a great idea change from 24 down to 16 never even crossed my mind to do that. All my buddy's say the same thing they've never seen it either lol but the mbox I've mixed for years on at home goes right up to 4000 samples. I'm using studio one. Will I have to start a new session and then bring all the files in? Or can in just down sample in the saved session?
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Downsampling would be going from 96k or 88.2k to 48 or 44.1k.

Changing from 24bit to 16bit is bit depth reduction and isn't a good idea in any way shape or form.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Downsampling would be going from 96k or 88.2k to 48 or 44.1k.

Changing from 24bit to 16bit is bit depth reduction and isn't a good idea in any way shape or form.
I'm already at 44.1 due to the adat preamp I'm using for extra channels tracking drums :/ well that won't work any other ideas? Help please lol
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Oh no they won't
Hey Jim if you could weigh in with a work around for my buffer issue I would really appreciate it!
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Has anyone here had a chance to compare the SSL with the Audient ID14? I'm helping a friend figure out which one to get. Also, I'm a bit clueless about this kind of thing as I have an Apollo. Would high track counts be something that would need to be taken into consideration. Say 50 tracks at mixdown for example. Thanks very much in advance
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoghat View Post
Has anyone here had a chance to compare the SSL with the Audient ID14? I'm helping a friend figure out which one to get. Also, I'm a bit clueless about this kind of thing as I have an Apollo. Would high track counts be something that would need to be taken into consideration. Say 50 tracks at mixdown for example. Thanks very much in advance
I have the Audient ID14 and it's a very good interface + with ADAT in.
I doubt the SSL2 is much better.

The trackcount in your projects is generally only limited by your computer.
And what buffer size you use.
If you have the buffer size set to very low (low latency) and you use live monitoring in your project, then things could start to sweat and stutter.
But it's mostly up to the computer and buffer setting in the audio interface (or project).
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Jim if you could weigh in with a work around for my buffer issue I would really appreciate it!
I think the unfortunate truth is that you already know the workarounds....render tracks, use the mbox, use less plugins. If there was some magic extra performance workaround it would be implemented already.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think the unfortunate truth is that you already know the workarounds....render tracks, use the mbox, use less plugins. If there was some magic extra performance workaround it would be implemented already.
Yeah I was hoping for a driver setting or something like that maybe I didnt already think of :/
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMD View Post
I have the ability to get the SSL 2+ for $249 or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB for $338. What’s the better bang for my buck / quality device for the price? Feedback greatly appreciated!
I'm about 2/3 through my tests and filming my review video. I have yet to hear the Clarett 2Pre, but in comparing the SSL 2+ to my Scarlett 18i20, I would have to recommend the SSL 2+. The video will be much more comprehensive but I'll say now that I listened to the multitracked loops coming from my hardware sampler recorded on each interface for almost an hour, switching back and forth.

I really didn't want to keep the 2+ as I don't need it and it throws a monkey wrench in my current studio setup having only two inputs, but it just sounds so good. With 4K mode engaged, I can honestly say that to some degree, it is definitely imparting the "SSL sound" onto your recordings. So much so, that when you use 4K mode on all recorded tracks, it creates that beautiful pillowy bass and 'smearing' effect their big consoles are known for. It's much more 3 dimensional than the recordings on my Scarlet 18i20. Night and day really when multi-tracked. The SSL 2+ recordings stacked together just sound like all those records you hear and wonder why they sound so good, whereas the 18i20 recordings sound more flat, and amateur (I say this as someone who previously believed most or all interfaces were created equal).

Video, multitrack files to download, and full breakdown on my opinion coming soon- next week or so at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Hi Scott,

Just wondering if you could comment on the DA conversion between the SSL2+ and the M2?

I just recently upgraded to Catalina on a new MBP and can't use my MH2882 interface unless I upgrade it with a 3D card, which costs $900 in Australia.

So I took a punt on the M2, but it is significantly more cloudy than the 2882 for playback.
Wondering whether the SSL2+ sounds significantly clearer than the M2 for pure playback??
I have yet to do the DA conversion as I'm still figuring out how to use AudioDiff maker. I also won't have the M2 to test against till tomorrow, but read my comment above. I'm currently head-over-heels for the 2+.

Also to the other poster- I have yet to go past about 80% on the headphones. They're definitely loud enough, and if they aren't, you may be hard of hearing

Last edited by ScottBrio; 16th February 2020 at 04:05 AM..
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have yet to do the DA conversion as I'm still figuring out how to use AudioDiff maker. I also won't have the M2 to test against till tomorrow, but read my comment above. I'm currently head-over-heels for the 2+.
Thanks Scott I’d be keen to get your opinion. All the reviews I’ve read have focused on the inputs/pres etc, but I’m interested in getting the clearest output to my Amphion One 15s. They are super revealing so any upstream difference in DA conversion is going to be crucial for me. The M2 sounds more veiled than my MH2882, but it’s not a fair comparison budget wise. If the SSL2 has obviously clearer playback I’d certainly swap to that.
Old 16th February 2020
Quote:
I'm already at 44.1 due to the adat preamp I'm using for extra channels tracking drums :/ well that won't work any other ideas? Help please lol
Wow ..seriously? ... time to start over with less of everything
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
Wow ..seriously? ... time to start over with less of everything
Yeah Im gonna finish the last four mixes on the old interface. I tracked a vocal last night the 4k button was really nice. And more than enough gain for an sm7b. I actually on this vocal liked it better than my gap73. So I will most likely keep it. But I still can't figure out why current interfaces are more limited in the buffer than older ones. I really was hoping someone would pipe in explain why they would change that. Anyway thanks for helping.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm about 2/3 through my tests and filming my review video. I have yet to hear the Clarett 2Pre, but in comparing the SSL 2+ to my Scarlett 18i20, I would have to recommend the SSL 2+. The video will be much more comprehensive but I'll say now that I listened to the multitracked loops coming from my hardware sampler recorded on each interface for almost an hour, switching back and forth.

I really didn't want to keep the 2+ as I don't need it and it throws a monkey wrench in my current studio setup having only two inputs, but it just sounds so good. With 4K mode engaged, I can honestly say that to some degree, it is definitely imparting the "SSL sound" onto your recordings. So much so, that when you use 4K mode on all recorded tracks, it creates that beautiful pillowy bass and 'smearing' effect their big consoles are known for. It's much more 3 dimensional than the recordings on my Scarlet 18i20. Night and day really when multi-tracked. The SSL 2+ recordings stacked together just sound like all those records you hear and wonder why they sound so good, whereas the 18i20 recordings sound more flat, and amateur (I say this as someone who previously believed most or all interfaces were created equal).

Video, multitrack files to download, and full breakdown on my opinion coming soon- next week or so at most.

Also to the other poster- I have yet to go past about 80% on the headphones. They're definitely loud enough, and if they aren't, you may be hard of hearing
Does the 4K Button add a good amount of High End?

I saw that on another video and kind of bugs me.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhmIsh View Post
I have the Audient ID14 and it's a very good interface + with ADAT in.
I doubt the SSL2 is much better.

The trackcount in your projects is generally only limited by your computer.
And what buffer size you use.
If you have the buffer size set to very low (low latency) and you use live monitoring in your project, then things could start to sweat and stutter.
But it's mostly up to the computer and buffer setting in the audio interface (or project).
Thanks so much Ohmish. Re track count, that's what I thought too but the poster above saying they needed to get their buffer super high to run their mix and were unable to had me confused. I've never needed to go beyond a buffer of 1024 no matter what's going on. Anyway, thanks for clarifying that, super helpful.

I also figured that the Audient ID14 and SSL 2 would be similar so that's why I'm asking if anyone has directly compared. Wondering if there would be something that would stand out in terms of choosing one over the other. I'm most interested to hear how the pres compare, being that the Audient is pretty clean and SSL has a bit of color
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
But I still can't figure out why current interfaces are more limited in the buffer than older ones. I really was hoping someone would pipe in explain why they would change that.
I've read that there just isn't much more to be gained once the buffers reach a certain point...not sure how true this is.

Out of interest have you tried running the projects at 2048 buffers on the Mbox...if that also runs OK it would suggest the issue is not the max buffer specifically but a generally less efficient driver.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoghat View Post
I also figured that the Audient ID14 and SSL 2 would be similar so that's why I'm asking if anyone has directly compared. Wondering if there would be something that would stand out in terms of choosing one over the other. I'm most interested to hear how the pres compare, being that the Audient is pretty clean and SSL has a bit of color
Also very interested in a comparison of these.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've read that there just isn't much more to be gained once the buffers reach a certain point...not sure how true this is.

Out of interest have you tried running the projects at 2048 buffers on the Mbox...if that also runs OK it would suggest the issue is not the max buffer specifically but a generally less efficient driver.
does the same thing 2048 cuts out and and pops. It's not only the ssl but the presonus 1824 does the same thing if I run too many plugins. I just don't understand why the ssl and new interfaces can't be turned up. Like I said current sessions I'll just have to finish mixing on the old interface. I'm actually thinking about sending it back I would only be keeping it at this point for the preamps. And it's hard to justify the the price for just that. Its a little disheartening I wrote an email to ssl and reached out on here so I'll wait a couple days before sending it back.
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Does the 4K Button add a good amount of High End?

I saw that on another video and kind of bugs me.
I assumed before using it that it would add high end, similar to the Claraphonic rack/VST, however after using it and multitracking drum loop and synth stems through it I've realized that it's more of a harmonics thing. I was expecting that using it on every track would be too much and would make things too bright- not the case at all. In fact, using the 4K button on all tracks added a sort of pillowy softness to my kick drum, cohesiveness to my percussion, and overall a sound that I have previously never heard from or been able to achieve with just an audio interface.

I'm trying really hard not to over-hype this thing, but it's definitely sold me on what it can do for incoming audio vs any other interface I've heard, and far exceeded my expectations.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search