The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WesAudio announces ngLEVELER
Old 13th January 2020
  #1
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

WesAudio announces ngLEVELER

WesAudio announces ngLEVELER

ngLEVELER – “Next generation Leveler” is analog automation system with convenient features for better studio integration. Besides its automation engine it also brings analog saturation per each channel which helps tracks to get more presence in the mix. ngLEVELER doesn’t have any controls, it is either managable via:
  • DAW Plug-in
  • HUI controller
  • Or both
This approach gives us very convenient fader control with true total recall system via DAW plug-in. ngLEVELER was created to become studio centerpiece, and because of its simple analog connectivity it can be used in many applications:
  • Between preamps output and analog to digital conversion to manage signal signal going in our DAW, where passive PADs may be really a benefit for vintage high level preamplifiers which may create very high output signal,
  • As an automation system for analog consoles insert points,
  • As an vintage outboard automation system – as leveler is capable of signal modification on any stage, putting in in chain before and after our vintage processor, allows us to perfectly tweak signal level for a sweet spot, and back it off before hitting our converter.
  • As automation system for any analog summing stage,
  • Post compression automation – very common mixing problem, where our signal from compressor goes straight into next unit, and essentially this part of processing can’t be really automated – with incorporating ngLEVELER between those processors, it is very easy!
  • Analog processor driver – ngLEVELER also implements few channel linking improvements, and it can be used to drive analog units with different signal – please refer to next sections for more information.
Features
  • 16 channels of analog automation with total recall
  • +24dBu of headroom
  • 6dB passive attenuator (PAD) for better integration with high level signals
  • Very low noise and distortion - THD+N < 0.01%
  • MUTE and SOLO for each channel
  • HUI controllers integration
  • Proprietary THD implementation
  • IN and OUT (before and after signal leveling) metering fully integrated with DAW plug-in Flexible DAW/Live plug-in control for instant recall
  • DB-25 analog connectivity
  • Management via Ethernet or USB
As all our “Next Generation” units, advanced plugin for all DAW formats (VST2/VST3/AU/AAX) is available for better integration. Currently only multichannel version is available, which allows to manage whole unit, but in near future, also other plug-in versions will be released:
  • 1 channel version
  • 2 channels version (stereo)
  • 4 channels version – perfect plugin for stereo tracks when we would like to level signal going IN and OUT our unit.

ngLeveler – available middle/end of March, retail price: 1799 Euro + VAT / 1999$ + TAX.

For more information, visit: http://wesaudio.com/ngleveler/
Attached Thumbnails
WesAudio announces ngLEVELER-ngleveler_front_plugin_transparent_medium.jpg  

Last edited by The Press Desk; 13th January 2020 at 07:36 PM..
Old 13th January 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

nice!
i guess it's about that time to get into the whole 500 series ng thing.
your product palette is getting more and more attractive.
Old 13th January 2020
  #3
Useful. The Wes gear sounds awesome.
Old 13th January 2020
  #4
Gear Head
Curious about pricing!
Old 13th January 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Very cool. You can put this unit in front of a basic summing unit like the Roll Music Folcrom - a unit with just straight summing and channel select buttons and instantly have a "poor man's" SSL sigma. It's actually kind of attractive, depending on the price this comes in at. It does solve the problem of automating gains before summing but post compressor - which is usually how I want to sum - each channel out of my daw into an EQ/Compressor then into the summing. Gain automation has been a headache in this respect. This looks like a great solution - especially like I said, paired with a summing unit.
Old 13th January 2020
  #6
Yes. That's why I'm thinking 'useful.' Currently I have 16-channels of iZ RADAR into a DAV Electronics Passive Mixbus (no controls; all DSub I/O), so the ngLEVELER would fit in well.
Old 14th January 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
G-Spot's Avatar
 

Awesome! I was worried that if my sum.mation just dyed I would never find a replacement! This actually is something like an upgraded version of the concept!
Old 14th January 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

This looks perfect for the analog summing setup I want to move to. The Sigma is cool but I don't like that you can only automate volume in stereo track pairs, and I want the flexibility to have different summing mixers.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to use two or more of these at once, with a different plugin instance for each unit?
Old 14th January 2020
  #9
Company Rep
 
WesAudio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
This looks perfect for the analog summing setup I want to move to. The Sigma is cool but I don't like that you can only automate volume in stereo track pairs, and I want the flexibility to have different summing mixers.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to use two or more of these at once, with a different plugin instance for each unit?
You can use as many units as You would like Of course all units can be controlled via HUI control surface at the same time with plugin instances (just as Your DAW, so if You will have 64 channels - 4 ngLEVELERS - You can still control it via HUI)
Old 15th January 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
How is panning handled?
Old 15th January 2020
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
How is panning handled?
It seems this unit functions as an insert, so no panning.
Old 15th January 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
How is panning handled?

You're thinking of this unit as a summer. It's not. It's an automated volume control so it just makes each channel louder or softer, mutes, or solos it.

You get 16 channels out, not a stereo pair so panning doesn't figure into the thing. You'd put this BEFORE your summer and control panning with your summer. Or from your daw if summing in stereo pairs to a summer with no panning control.
Old 15th January 2020
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
It seems this unit functions as an insert, so no panning.
ionian is correct although it is possible to adjust the left or right level balance to achieve panning (on stereo stems).
Old 15th January 2020
  #14
Rea
Lives for gear
 
Rea's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
This looks perfect for the analog summing setup I want to move to. The Sigma is cool but I don't like that you can only automate volume in stereo track pairs, and I want the flexibility to have different summing mixers.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to use two or more of these at once, with a different plugin instance for each unit?
Sigma is 16 channels that, each, can be stereo or Mono. You are not forced to use 16 stereo pairs.
Old 17th January 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesAudio View Post
You can use as many units as You would like Of course all units can be controlled via HUI control surface at the same time with plugin instances (just as Your DAW, so if You will have 64 channels - 4 ngLEVELERS - You can still control it via HUI)
Great news that we can use multiple units!

Are you saying that it's possible to have the ngLEVELER directly connected to a HUI control surface and the DAW plugin at the same time? So we could use the HUI to control the unit and record automation in the plugin at the same time?
Old 17th January 2020
  #16
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
Sigma is 16 channels that, each, can be stereo or Mono. You are not forced to use 16 stereo pairs.
I know, but it's 32 input, so if you want to control/automate volume you basically lose a channel per mono input. 16 stereo channels isn't enough for my setup and the Sigma doesn't support controlling more than one unit with the plugin, that's why I'm excited that the ngLEVELER supports controlling multiple units through the plugin.
Old 17th January 2020
  #17
Company Rep
 
WesAudio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Great news that we can use multiple units!

Are you saying that it's possible to have the ngLEVELER directly connected to a HUI control surface and the DAW plugin at the same time? So we could use the HUI to control the unit and record automation in the plugin at the same time?
My general curse is that I'm hiding some usability cases from the description as I don't want to overcomplicate things, and sometimes I would hide something important

So HUI vs PLUG-IN.

HUI controllers connects to the PC/MAC, and this is transformed to GCon and routed to the device itself - in that sense You don't need a plug-in, or DAW running, You just plug-in the controller to PC/MAC, ngLEVELER(s) to the PC/MAC - and this is it - You can control all your ngLEVELER(s) exactly how You would control your DAW.

Now PLUG-In works on top of it. So You open as many plug-in instances as You have ngLEVELERS connnect those, and everything will be in sync. That means when You will move plug-in, HUI controller and ngLEVELER will be aware of that.

Now that of course means, that If You will enable touch automtion on the plug-in fader channel 1 - You will be of course able to write that automation from your HUI controller by moving this particular fader - of course with touch detection

Last edited by WesAudio; 17th January 2020 at 06:27 PM..
Old 19th January 2020
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Mind-Over-Midi's Avatar
 

If using protools, would I be able to control the plugin with my d-command which is not HUI? Thanks for your time.



Old 20th January 2020
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdekay View Post
Curious about pricing!
$1999
Old 20th January 2020
  #20
This was my favorite product at NAMM. I sum out of the box and now I can properly utilize all of my outboard gear and automated after my outboard!
Old 21st January 2020
  #21
Rea
Lives for gear
 
Rea's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
I know, but it's 32 input, so if you want to control/automate volume you basically lose a channel per mono input. 16 stereo channels isn't enough for my setup and the Sigma doesn't support controlling more than one unit with the plugin, that's why I'm excited that the ngLEVELER supports i controlling multiple units through the plugin.

i use 8 mono+8 stereo, as i have 24 outs in my DA.

I made a special db25 where i dont lose DA's in my patch bay, so 1-8 of my DA corresponds to 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15 of the Sigma.

Not sure i get where your issue is. i might help if i understood....

If you need more than 16 individual mono channels(ie you have more than 16 mono signals that are not part of a stereo pair, and require their own analog processing) you might need 2 sigmas, but honestly, this seems a bit rare to me nowadays,.
Old 22nd January 2020
  #22
Company Rep
 
WesAudio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
If using protools, would I be able to control the plugin with my d-command which is not HUI? Thanks for your time.

So ngLEVELER can work in 2 modes (actually in 3, but 2 are similar):
  • ngLEVELER as HUI device(MIDI) <-> DAW - in this mode You will have to create 16 tracks as first tracks in your session (more if You have more ngLEVELERs). Faders on those tracks will be mapped to ngLEVELERs channels. So using D-Command or ArtistMix to control those particular faders will also affect ngLEVELER channels. This mode has some limitations - only faders can be controlled, so MUTE/SOLO etc. won't be mapped to ngLEVELER controls unfortunately, and I'm afraid this can't be implemented - so in this scenario, to use MUTE/SOLO/PAD/THD - a plugin instance would need to be used.

    I can confirm that it works with Artist Mix, I don't have Command-D here to check it, but I assume it will work exactly the same way. We will try to confirm as many options as we can closer the the shipping date - but generally speaking, there are a lot of possibilities when it comes to DAW vs Controllers, so we won't be able to test all of them - I will prepare however list of officially tested solutions
  • HUI controller <-> PC/MAC <-> ngLEVELER - in this mode advantage is, that You don't need to run any application like DAW, you can use your HUI controller to exclusively control ngLEVELER anytime - also most HUI controls are mapped directly to ngLeveler - Mute/Solo/THD(mapped to PAN encoder)/PAD(mapped to select button), VU will be integrated in near future:
  • Third mode is exactly the same as the one above, but it allows to pass HUI command to DAW as well. That means all transport buttons will work with DAW where fader related controls will control ngLEVELER - and it is also possible to toggle (via function (F1-F8) button) between DAW mode (fader section will control DAW), and ngLEVELER mode (fader section will control ngLEVELER).

I hope it doesn't sound too scary
Old 22nd January 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Mind-Over-Midi's Avatar
 

Thanks for the info! Exciting product.



Old 23rd January 2020
  #24
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesAudio View Post
My general curse is that I'm hiding some usability cases from the description as I don't want to overcomplicate things, and sometimes I would hide something important

So HUI vs PLUG-IN.

HUI controllers connects to the PC/MAC, and this is transformed to GCon and routed to the device itself - in that sense You don't need a plug-in, or DAW running, You just plug-in the controller to PC/MAC, ngLEVELER(s) to the PC/MAC - and this is it - You can control all your ngLEVELER(s) exactly how You would control your DAW.

Now PLUG-In works on top of it. So You open as many plug-in instances as You have ngLEVELERS connnect those, and everything will be in sync. That means when You will move plug-in, HUI controller and ngLEVELER will be aware of that.

Now that of course means, that If You will enable touch automtion on the plug-in fader channel 1 - You will be of course able to write that automation from your HUI controller by moving this particular fader - of course with touch detection
Thanks for the details, this is exactly what I wanted to know!
Old 23rd January 2020
  #25
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
If using protools, would I be able to control the plugin with my d-command which is not HUI? Thanks for your time.



You should be able to custom map the ngLEVELER's plugin controls to the D-Command's knobs and faders. Controlling the ngLEVELER with the D-Command's faders sounds like a great workflow!
Old 23rd January 2020
  #26
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesAudio View Post
So ngLEVELER can work in 2 modes (actually in 3, but 2 are similar)......
Are all of the plugin's controls (MUTE/SOLO,THD etc) automatable?
Old 23rd January 2020
  #27
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
If you need more than 16 individual mono channels(ie you have more than 16 mono signals that are not part of a stereo pair, and require their own analog processing) you might need 2 sigmas, but honestly, this seems a bit rare to me nowadays,.
12 - 16 mono channels plus at least 12 stereo channels is what I need. Unfortunately the Sigma doesn't plugin doesn't support more than one unit, so using two isn't an option.

That's why the ngLEVELER is an exciting product, no limitation on how many post-gear / pre-summing-mixer channels we can automate.
Old 27th January 2020
  #28
Company Rep
 
WesAudio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
You should be able to custom map the ngLEVELER's plugin controls to the D-Command's knobs and faders. Controlling the ngLEVELER with the D-Command's faders sounds like a great workflow!
Yes, that should be possible as well as heart of the control is still a plug-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Are all of the plugin's controls (MUTE/SOLO,THD etc) automatable?
Technially yes, but all of those features are implemented via relays or switches, so basically "hard circuit change" - So I would say that it would be prefectly fine to automate those settings in between different takes/songs, but could not work well in the middle of the song. MUTE/SOLO - probably will work - to be honest I'm tweaking this engine now to align resolution and polishing the implementation - So I can get back to You with better answer in 2-3 weeks - but PAD is techincally a relay, so it could cause some noise (not necessarly, but I need some more tests to confirm that), and THD is managed via switch, so it depends what "transient it will meet" during setting change.

- Michal

Last edited by WesAudio; 27th January 2020 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Added signature
Old 27th January 2020
  #29
Engagement Manager
 
Sniperschool's Avatar
Thanks for being open with your answers Michal. Looking forward to hearing the results of your tweaking
Old 28th January 2020
  #30
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesAudio View Post
Yes, that should be possible as well as heart of the control is still a plug-in.


Technially yes, but all of those features are implemented via relays or switches, so basically "hard circuit change" - So I would say that it would be prefectly fine to automate those settings in between different takes/songs, but could not work well in the middle of the song. MUTE/SOLO - probably will work - to be honest I'm tweaking this engine now to align resolution and polishing the implementation - So I can get back to You with better answer in 2-3 weeks - but PAD is techincally a relay, so it could cause some noise (not necessarly, but I need some more tests to confirm that), and THD is managed via switch, so it depends what "transient it will meet" during setting change.

- Michal
Thanks for the details Michal! I don't think I would be actually automating anything except fader level, but if the other controls are technically automatable then I know we'll be able to map all of them to a control surface, which is what I was hoping for.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump