The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMS Neve Launches A New Hardware Version of The Iconic RMX16
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearrhea View Post
What are you not convinced by?

If the input/output stages aren't modeled in the plugin version, than who knows to what extent everything else is modeled.

AMS Neve obviously has the original algorithms and technology to work with.
Not convinced all settings are identical. Or even the algo. (the nonlin on the plugin doesn't sound like the nonlin on the plugin I demoed.

Anyway I think the 500 sounds good enough for me to want one.

MW
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivestudios View Post
So is Mark Crabtree not telling the truth when he says the algorithms are "byte for byte identical" between the original and the UAD version? He says so in the UAD promotional video.

And then, in this interview, this guy says pretty much the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Ou9cPnWhI

The UAD isn't modelling the harmonic quality of the converters, but I think that's ok... the world isn't lacking in different kinds of harmonic plugins... it's pretty easy to mess with the quality of the UAD plugin in very musical ways.

All 3 options seem pretty good to me. Despite mixing through an analog console, the plugin works better for my workflow... but I could see someone really enjoying having the knobs on this new AMS version... the physical interaction might be a really nice thing. As much as I love the UAD 480, getting your hands on the original remote is a very different experience.
I agree, that, and being able to feed it latency free to the performer while recording it.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

The UAD isn't modelling the harmonic quality of the converters, but I think that's ok... the world isn't lacking in different kinds of harmonic plugins... it's pretty easy to mess with the quality of the UAD plugin in very musical ways.

All 3 options seem pretty good to me. Despite mixing through an analog console, the plugin works better for my workflow... but I could see someone really enjoying having the knobs on this new AMS version... the physical interaction might be a really nice thing. As much as I love the UAD 480, getting your hands on the original remote is a very different experience.
Well there is a hell of a lot more going on in the input and output stage of an RMX..and there is little harmonic distortion...the RMX is amazingly clean. Also just to confuse things there are a few revisions with different DAC's.

I would say a LARC does much more and is much more interactive than the one knob you gain on the 500 series.

But my problem with the UAD480L is it only has 10 banks of presets compared to the 21 in the hardware.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearrhea View Post
Never been one for formalities, why I got into music.

But either I'm hallucinating (which I haven't ruled out, and would be a problem as I haven't taken any LSD or Mushrooms for some time now), or people aren't hearing this correctly.
There's a whole bunch of people on here who said the UAD RMX plug-in totally nails the hardware and are selling their hardware units

Everyone hears differently and is listening on different systems..bend your outer ear slightly while listening to music, the frequency response changes slightly.

Plus you've fried your brain with acid
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
When I’ve tried the uad 480L it wasn’t anywhere near to my hardware unit too. I’ve found no replacement for now.
I have the Relab version.

Relab have stated in the past their version is sample accurate to the hardware and if you can show it isn't you get the plug on for free!

Win win you either got to sell your hardware after you discover the plugin is just as good (only joking) or you get a free plug in version (maybe) ..... worth an email to Relab

Personally I think the Relab 480 plugin sounds like hardware reverb (well they are both digital) whether it's sample accurate .... I've never tested that theory.

As for this 500 series RMX16 I have the UAD version and I'd only buy this box if I wanted this sound live on stage.
Old 18th February 2020
The RMX 16 was my secret weapon to keep lead vocalists happy...

Ambient program number 2
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
There's a whole bunch of people on here who said the UAD RMX plug-in totally nails the hardware and are selling their hardware units

Everyone hears differently and is listening on different systems..bend your outer ear slightly while listening to music, the frequency response changes slightly.

Plus you've fried your brain with acid
Guess those people will be bummed to know the in/outs aren't modeled.

Everyone hears differently, but being able to focus in on and identify differences between a comparison isn't what you are alluding to.

In regards to LSD, Sam Harris doesn't think so, nor did Steve Jobs.
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

the 500 series ones sounds good enough for me, there are differences but not enough for me to really be bothered, I would probably eq out some of the extra heft the vintage one is providing
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was actually thinking of selling my rmx because i don't use it that much these days and the bricasti nonlin is pretty good (esp on snare) while not being a copy and honestly the altiverb sits in the mix similarly as well. the uad plug in i demoed when it came out and it was atrocious compared to the original and aside from "sounding exact" the bricasti and altiverb sounded better in a mix on what i'd wanna use it for.

that said, this new 500 series based on all videos so far is worse than even the uad plugin. it sounds uneven solo'd and i bet in a mix would get totally lost. basically it's trash. sometimes i wonder if these people who make some of this stuff have hearing problems or something. it's either that or they are crazy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
interaction might be a really nice thing. As much as I love the UAD 480, getting your hands on the original remote is a very different experience.
And now I want a 480L in 500 series format with LARC. But please no mini size format of the controller, just a 1 on 1 copy of the original LARC. I'd buy that in a heartbeat! How cool would that be a 480L and RMX 16 in one lunchbox.

Lexicon are you reading this?!
Attached Thumbnails
AMS Neve Launches A New Hardware Version of The Iconic RMX16-render.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search