The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Expands Thunderbolt Interface Line with Quantum 2626
Old 9th January 2020
News Desk Editor

PreSonus Expands Thunderbolt Interface Line with Quantum 2626-presonus-quantum_2626-environmental_2650x1048.jpg

Baton Rouge, Louisiana—January 2019… The newest model in PreSonus®’ Quantum series of audio interfaces, the Quantum 2626 uses the blazing fast Thunderbolt 3 bus to achieve a barely measurable roundtrip latency (as low as <1 ms), enabling you to record and monitor with up to 24-bit, 192 kHz fidelity through your favorite plug-ins, without leaving your DAW. High-quality converters on every analog input and output provide 115 dB of dynamic range to capture complex musical harmonics smoothly and naturally with no audible distortion.

The Quantum 2626 provides up to 26 inputs and 26 outputs, with 8 of PreSonus’ lauded XMAX Class A analog microphone preamps, 2 instrument inputs to directly connect basses and guitars, and 6 balanced line level inputs for your favorite synths all on front-mounted combo jacks. The first two inputs are equipped with direct outputs and dedicated returns to patch in your favorite outboard gear. An additional 18 inputs and outputs are available via ADAT/dual SMUX and S/PDIF.

You also get eight ¼” TRS outputs that are DC coupled for sending control voltages, plus two balanced Main outputs, two high-volume headphone outs with dedicated volume controls, and MIDI I/O. BNC word clock I/O ensures the Quantum 2626 and other digital audio devices operate in tight sync. The interface is well protected by a 1U rack-mountable, rugged, all-metal chassis with metal knobs.

With the included Studio One® Artist DAW, the Quantum 2626 is a complete recording solution. The interface also is compatible with any recording software that supports Core Audio (macOS) or ASIO (Windows). Free PreSonus UC Surface control software for Mac® and Windows® provides access to full metering, including metering for connected PreSonus DP88 8-channel A/DA preamp/converters, as well as UC Surface’s integrated Real-Time Analyzer (RTA).

The Quantum 2626 is available now at PreSonus dealers at a U.S. street price of $599.95. For more information visit www.presonus.com/products/Quantum-2626.
Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus Expands Thunderbolt Interface Line with Quantum 2626-presonus-quantum_2626-back_4618x499.jpg   PreSonus Expands Thunderbolt Interface Line with Quantum 2626-presonus-quantum_2626-environmental_2650x1048.jpg  
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

what are the differences between this new unit and the tb2 26x32, which is double the price of this new unit? More simply, what is different about the older unit and why is the new unit so much cheaper?
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
There are 8 pres on the 26X32. Only two on the 2626. Not sure if that is all the reason but it does help explain some.
You need to read the information above once again.

Quote:
8 of PreSonus’ lauded XMAX Class A analog microphone preamps
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
what are the differences between this new unit and the tb2 26x32, which is double the price of this new unit? More simply, what is different about the older unit and why is the new unit so much cheaper?
Just look at the two of them.

Part of your answer yourself in the question: TB2 vs TB3; 32 digital outs vs 26 digital outs

The 26x32 has much more in the way of studio control. Talkback mic. Volume knob. LED readouts.

The 26 x 26 has a couple other differences to help with hooking up outboard gear for a tracking chain or insert effect.

Last edited by sirthought; 9th January 2020 at 08:52 PM..
Old 9th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Probably lower grade converters on this one. Only one TB3 jack is strange. And 2626 means the headphones probably don't have separate DAC outputs, which means no cue mixes. Fail.
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Just look at the two of them.

Part of you answer yourself in the question: TB2 vs TB3; 32 digital outs vs 26 digital outs

The 26x32 has much more in the way of studio control. Talkback mic. Volume knob. LED readouts.

The 26 x 26 has a couple other differences to help with hooking up outboard gear for a tracking chain or insert effect.
I guess I was more interested in converters and phone outs, but this was useful. Thanks
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
I guess I was more interested in converters and phone outs, but this was useful. Thanks
Based on the Sweetwater video, their marketing guy talks a lot about the Quantum 'series' being the fastest latency interfaces. This makes me feel like clocking, converters, and processing is pretty much the same throughout. It's the functionality around that that differs from model to model.
Old 9th January 2020
Here for the gear

I really love my Quantum 26x32 - it's easily the best interface I've ever owned, but I always feel like Presonus gets to 90% perfect and then cripples their designs with a major flaw. For the original Quantum and the Quantum 2, it's two front panel XLR combo jacks. For the Digimax DP-88 it's no signal from the mic pre when the line in is enabled (no insert ability for my ACP-88 for instance). For this Quantum 2626, it's no 2nd Thunderbolt 3 port.

Presonus even advertises that the Quantum series can be combined together to give your system different types of I/Os and expandability, yet this new interface can't do that due to a hardware limitation just to save on production costs. An entry price of $799 would have been acceptable (to me) to get that 2nd TB3 port and allow expandability in the new product line.

Secondly, I don't see how there are only 26 outputs here, even without the ability to select separate headphone outs:
8x Line outs
2x Main outs
2x SPDIF outs
16x ADAT outs
-----------------
28 outputs

does the SPDIF always mirror the mains? or has to be assigned as a mirror of another analog out? I can just make out that the ADATs are assigned to 11-18 and 19-26. On my Quantum SPDIF is 9-10, where are the mains? are they not counted in the 26 maybe?
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Based on the Sweetwater video, their marketing guy talks a lot about the Quantum 'series' being the fastest latency interfaces. This makes me feel like clocking, converters, and processing is pretty much the same throughout. It's the functionality around that that differs from model to model.
I had a good look at the specs and it's mostly exactly the same as the Quantum, I think this might be a really great unit for the price, and the simplicity is actually a good thing IMO, there is nothing I would want that this didn't offer as long as it sounds the same as the Quantum which sounds great IMO.
Old 11th January 2020
Here for the gear

I own a presonus quantum, do you think I could connect it with presonus 2626?
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastCrack View Post
I own a presonus quantum, do you think I could connect it with presonus 2626?
Marketing manager says in Sweetwater video it can connect with the rest of the series. You'd need a cable that goes TB 2 to TB3, or an adapter. The 26 x 26 only has one TB port, so it would be at the end of the chain.
Old 11th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Marketing manager says in Sweetwater video it can connect with the rest of the series. You'd need a cable that goes TB 2 to TB3, or an adapter. The 26 x 26 only has one TB port, so it would be at the end of the chain.
I was thinking that too, but he does not clarify which quantum series. Is a new quantum series with thunderbolt 3 on track? Is it possible with an adapter from quantum or it needs 2 thunderbolt outputs from a PC?
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was thinking that too, but he does not clarify which quantum series. Is a new quantum series with thunderbolt 3 on track? Is it possible with an adapter from quantum or it needs 2 thunderbolt outputs from a PC?
On their website there is only one Quantum series. I wouldn't get hung up on the TB3. It's just them keeping the hardware current. The actual data transport would still work fine in TB1, as that has more than enough bandwidth. TB3 adds no advantage other than that's what is on today's new computers.

A thunderbolt cable from the Quantum to the 26x26 should work. I daisy chain my Universal Audio gear and you can chain multiple units.
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

So what kind of cable would I need to connect this to my Gigabyte Designare z390 with the built in USB C Thunderbolt 3 ports?
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
So what kind of cable would I need to connect this to my Gigabyte Designare z390 with the built in USB C Thunderbolt 3 ports?
Any thunderbolt cable will work. Just make sure you have a 'C' end or adapter.
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any thunderbolt cable will work. Just make sure you have a 'C' end or adapter.
Thank you!
Old 13th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
On their website there is only one Quantum series. I wouldn't get hung up on the TB3. It's just them keeping the hardware current. The actual data transport would still work fine in TB1, as that has more than enough bandwidth. TB3 adds no advantage other than that's what is on today's new computers.

A thunderbolt cable from the Quantum to the 26x26 should work. I daisy chain my Universal Audio gear and you can chain multiple units.
I have daisy chained a quantum and a quantum 2. I don't know if a startech tb3 to tb2 is going to work between a quantum and a 2626. I know it shouldn't matter but normally with a tb3 to tb2 adapter you connect from a tb3 to a tb2. In this case (quantum to 2626) you are connecting a tb2 to tb3.
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have daisy chained a quantum and a quantum 2. I don't know if a startech tb3 to tb2 is going to work between a quantum and a 2626. I know it shouldn't matter but normally with a tb3 to tb2 adapter you connect from a tb3 to a tb2. In this case (quantum to 2626) you are connecting a tb2 to tb3.
I don't think it matters which direction.
Old 15th January 2020
Here for the gear

I think it’s exactly that. They don’t have a Tb3 interface on the market till now. I’d love to know what’s the difference in the converters when they say “high quality” or “audio file”. That wording is the only reason I bought a quantum and just days before this came out too.
Old 16th January 2020
Here for the gear

As I am considering getting two of these, I reached to Presonus...

I asked: Is it possible to aggregate two of these units on a system with two separate
tb3 ports?

It’s a shame that there was not a second port to allow daisy chaining
without wasting a second tb port. Especially when your previous units
included this. Also competitor products have it as well.

Thank you,

They answered:
Hello xxxx,

Thank you for your interest in PreSonus Audio!

Yes. It is possible to aggregate with a computer that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports. We withheld the extra port in favor of keeping down cost.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues that I may be of assistance in answering.

Best regards,

Houston Dragna
Inside Sales Coordinator

PreSonus Audio Electronics
18011 Grand Bay Court
Baton Rouge, LA 70809-USA
www.presonus.com
+1.225.216.7887 Corporate
+1.225.926.8347 Fax
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Addict

Let me guess, same xmax pre's ? Rehashed quantum technology from 2 years ago too right? same lower grade conversion too right?
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-d-ho-man View Post
Yes. It is possible to aggregate with a computer that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports. We withheld the extra port in favor of keeping down cost.
Great to have info on aggregation. Thanks for sharing.

Lots of bang for the buck with this.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybland View Post
Let me guess, same xmax pre's ? Rehashed quantum technology from 2 years ago too right? same lower grade conversion too right?
The RTL specs for the Quantum2 line are impressive. You find issue with the A/D ?
Old 20th January 2020
News Desk Editor

Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Good to see Presonus releasing TB3 interfaces. Really hoping there will be an update to the original Quantum to have Thunderbolt 3 and improved converters.
Old 27th January 2020
Here for the gear

Are the converters in the Quantum bad? I'm clocking all of my digital gear from my Apogee Big Ben and I think they sound more clear and open than any other converters I've had (not that those are anything great - M-Audio ProFire 2626, Alesis Ai3, MOTU 2408 Mk2&3, M-Audio Octane, Presonus Digimax FS&LT, Digi 192 I/O).
Old 28th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Good to see Presonus releasing TB3 interfaces. Really hoping there will be an update to the original Quantum to have Thunderbolt 3 and improved converters.
i wouldn't hold my breath
Old 28th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
There is no advantage to TB 3 on the original quantum. It has a channel count limit that does not exceed the current available bandwidth. You just want them to update the product so that you don't need an adapter? They just short-changed their first TB 3 product with a single port, severely restricting the ability to aggregate or take advantage of chaining storage on a TB bus.

I'd rather have a new product called Quantum 3 with 8 remote mic pres, DB25 line outs, 2 main outs, 2 headphones, MADI optical I/O, 16x16 ADAT I/O, and AVB. That kind of channel count is possible thanks to TB 3.
Old 28th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.funk View Post
Are the converters in the Quantum bad? I'm clocking all of my digital gear from my Apogee Big Ben and I think they sound more clear and open than any other converters I've had (not that those are anything great - M-Audio ProFire 2626, Alesis Ai3, MOTU 2408 Mk2&3, M-Audio Octane, Presonus Digimax FS&LT, Digi 192 I/O).
I really can't speak to the new 2626, but the Quantum (TB2 26x32) I have expanded with two Digimax FS units sounds just amazing. "Clear and open" really does describe them. I don't know if the Quantum still use the same discrete high-voltage XMAX preamps from the Digimax FS, but overall I don't hear a difference.
Old 28th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.funk View Post
I'd rather have a new product called Quantum 3 with 8 remote mic pres, DB25 line outs, 2 main outs, 2 headphones, MADI optical I/O, 16x16 ADAT I/O, and AVB. That kind of channel count is possible thanks to TB 3.
I'm happy to see the new lower cost Quantum emerge.. but would hope to see this big-brother come along soon too.

2nd TB3 port, Remote pres & AVB being the most desired features...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search