The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Expands Thunderbolt Interface Line with Quantum 2626
Old 16th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
You could also get a second quantum 2 if 8 pres is enough for you. Or add 8 pres via adat.

I Considered that also, but figure for only a bit more I can have extra pres and not be limited. What would be the difference between a tb2 chain vs adat connection? I assume tb connection is faster and best Case scenario for people who already have it available like myself, right?
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

I'm assuming that if you use only quantum or quantum 2 pres, regalrdless of howmany units you have daisy chained, they will have equal latency and this will line up perfectly in the DAW.

I'm also assuming that if you add digimax pres to a quantum via ADAT, the digimax AD pre amp path will have slightly higher latency than the quantum pre AD path.
This is an assumption but call it an educated guess. I would be VERY surprised if they managed to have identical latency between digimax-> quantum and quantum only.
What is possible, is that Studio One will compensate for it so that your tracks will line up perfectly anyway.
I have no knowledge to support that, but I would say there's a fair chance it will.
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
Digimax fs? Those look just like the 2626, is that the older version of it? I agree about the rear inputs kinda sucking, but I also like the remote control pres, I guess that's the tug isn't it? How do the digimax compare to the 2626 or even the dp88? Do you still have the remote control capability via software?
Yeah, they really do look like the 2626. The Digimax FS is a discontinued product:

Presonus DigiMax FS

I can't say what these sound like compared to the 2626 or the DP88, but they're the same XMAX discrete high-voltage class A preamps found in the Presonus line, so I'd have to say they're comparable sound-wise; attached to the Quantum they're identical enough to those preamps that I can't hear a difference once I've got the gain staging set (Quantum/DP88 has 60db gain where the Digimax units have 55db).

There's no adjusting gain remotely on the Digimax, or any other ADAT expansion except for the DP88 that uses Presonus's proprietary communications protocol. That may be crucial for some customers but it's not a real consideration for my uses since I set max gain and cut back with the software. The convenience factor didn't justify the expense of a DP88; I bought all four of mine for slightly under $200 (with power supplies).

And it was primarily the sound of these Digimax units that sold me. Once I'd recorded with and heard it I realized how harsh and metallic the Behringer ADA800s sounded in comparison. But all the built-in I/O -- 1/4" DAC outputs, 1/4" direct outputs and 1/4" inserts -- which to me are more useful than building or buying a DB25 breakout box or wiring up a patch panel.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

I'm thinking of buying one over an RME UFX+ because it's about 1/4 of the price, still has ridiculously low latency with thunderbolt 3 and the pre-amps are very good on the Quantum (and I think they are probably the same XMAX on the 2626 judging by the tech specs). I don't really use pre-amps much anyway as I'm mostly a synth and drum machine guy. I'm not sure about longevity of product support or how reliable and solid their drivers are though and how fast they are to update. Any thoughts? How is yours working out for you on windows/mac? Can you run it under heavy load with full projects efficiently at 32 samples? The only difference I can see is that there are some numbers quoted at 96kHz for the Quantum but not on the 2626 for the various inputs. I think i'll be running it on a new 16 inch macbook pro. I can see some issues on their forums though and very little response. Here's one post below comparing RME and Presonus Quantum. Maybe there is a cost to going cheap and cheerful? I do remember RME had their fair share of complains and issues over the T2 chip in apple computers though.

"Here come the 3 scenarios and the related symptoms/problems/issues in both Quantum and Babyface cases.

1. DAW with ASIO and Windows System using Presonus and RME system drivers.

Quantum case 1 : Play a Youtube video... everything is fine.
Start a DAW (i.e. Reaper) using ASIO.
Two things can happen. In some cases Youtube sound continues and DAW doesn't play.
Changing Presonus buffer from the used value to a new one than back to the old one (i.e. from 64 to 128 and back to 64. In other cases Youtube audio vanishes an the DAW doesn't play as before. The changing buffer cure sometimes work at first try...sometimes it needs more tries.

Babyface case 1 : doin' the same as the Quantum case 1....everything works fine.

2. DAW with ASIO and another app using ASIO (i.e. VCV Rack or Ableton Live or Max etc.)

Quantum case 2 : As soon as the second app using ASIO sounds get glitchy and then stops.
Cure is tu shut down one of the apps, then doing the "changing buffer" cure then in some tries everything works again..but with an app only at a time.

Babyface case 2 : everything works just fine

3. DAW with ASIO and Windows audio routed to Presonus or RME via Voicemeeter Potato

Quantum case 3 : the same as Quantum case 1

Babyface case 3 : everything works just fine

4. DAW with ASIO and Windows audio routed to Presonus or RME via ASIO LInk PRO

Quantum case 4 : the same as Quantum case 1

Babyface case 4 : everything works just fine

*** Conclusion ***

Presonus Quantum multiclient operation on Windows 10 is basically not working.
Please Presonus...solve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by PeteJames; 24th May 2020 at 10:20 AM..
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Back in stock?

Everyone has these on order/backorder... Seems to be the only thunderbolt 3 interface with 8 or more I/O's on the market and at a fraction of the cost of the nearest competitor. They're just completely unavailable.

Does anyone know when Presonus will be shipping more units?
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear
Reach out to your preferred shop and ask when they might come in. The 2nd corona wave might cause delays and shutdowns. I wish it were a wave of delicious beer with a surfboard made out of limes that was coming.

Best to see how long you’ll have and decide to pay and sit tight, or find an alternative.
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Reach out to your preferred shop and ask when they might come in. ...sit tight, or find an alternative.
LOL, I just called Guitar Center and they told me the date they have is NOVEMBER 5th 2020. I guess that's out.

I'd be happy to consider an Antelope, Apogee, RME or another other option if anyone else had a TB3 interface yet. I think it's only Lynx, UA and Focusrite so far and I've poured too much money into this Macbook Pro to choke it down to a USB with an adapter, but with everyone's supply chains disrupted it's been tough.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey can anyone confirm if the outs support unbalanced, or if I need to wire my own cables to go balanced -> unbalanced?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Hey can anyone confirm if the outs support unbalanced, or if I need to wire my own cables to go balanced -> unbalanced?
Gosh, we should probably Google that for you...
Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus Expands Thunderbolt Interface Line with Quantum 2626-presonus-2626-outs.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
Gosh, we should probably Google that for you...
That doesn't answer his question.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
That doesn't answer his question.
The attached picture does, lab partner...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
The attached picture does, lab partner...
No it doesn't. Of course it's balanced, he's asking if he can plug in unbalanced cables.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
No it doesn't. Of course it's balanced, he's asking if he can plug in unbalanced cables.
Well then, good catch. Since you're being so helpful, perhaps you could Google that for him.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A bit shortsighted with only a single TB3 port.

With dual ports it would have been able to daisychain something like this for instance. The better way to keep the pricepoint low is to omit things like onboard mic pres. Digimax is a great idea for those who want pres.
https://us.amazon.com/dp/B085D9QPML/ref=emc_b_5_i
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well then, good catch. Since you're being so helpful, perhaps you could Google that for him.
You should change your rank/title to "Captain Obvious"

Does anyone have an answer past "google it for yourself"?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should change your rank/title to "Captain Obvious"
Well, thanks for the promotion ... ?

Quote:
Does anyone have an answer past "google it for yourself"?
The Presonus Quantum line and main outputs are "impedance balanced", meaning the hot line (XLR pin 2, TRS tip) carries the signal while the cold line (XLR pin 3, TRS ring) is matched to the same impedance to ground (XLR pin 1, TRS sleeve) as the hot line.

So yes, you can use them in unbalanced applications without any special cables or need for a DI box, and your cable can be either have the cold signal tied to the shield or left floating.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, thanks for the promotion ... ?

The Presonus Quantum line and main outputs are "impedance balanced", meaning the hot line (XLR pin 2, TRS tip) carries the signal while the cold line (XLR pin 3, TRS ring) is matched to the same impedance to ground (XLR pin 1, TRS sleeve) as the hot line.

So yes, you can use them in unbalanced applications without any special cables or need for a DI box, and your cable can be either have the cold signal tied to the shield or left floating.
Cool thanks, that's really helpful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi.

I'm completely new to DAWs/Soundcards but i've bought a Q2626.

Is it possible to set up a rack fx unit in a send/return configuration?

Thank you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It certainly is.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you.

Although i've just decided to sell my old rack fx and use plugins.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leio Scott View Post
Hi.

I'm completely new to DAWs/Soundcards but i've bought a Q2626.

Is it possible to set up a rack fx unit in a send/return configuration?

Thank you.
Do you actually have it in your possession or did you buy it on backorder somewhere and it still needs to ship?

Where are these in stock?

I got antsy and found a great deal on a used Focusrite Red 4Pre. It's TB2, but I couldn't wait anymore.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear