The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PlugInGuru Unify
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

PlugInGuru Unify

Available now for $59 (RRP $79) here:

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/...eid=476043b6e7

Apparently it'll never go on sale again. There'll be an upgrade path to Unify Pro, which will appear in 12->18 months' time.

Here's Skippy's short introduction video:

Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

My first question is, does anybody know if you can use AU plugins instead of VST? I chose to go AU many years ago so my whole library is in this format.

Secondly, does it play nicely with DP?
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
My first question is, does anybody know if you can use AU plugins instead of VST? I chose to go AU many years ago so my whole library is in this format.

Secondly, does it play nicely with DP?
I’d have the same question about AU
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

Glad I'm not alone on this, mate.

The demo won't be available 'til next month IIRC, so in the meantime we'll have to rely on those who've bought it to give us the skinny on compatibility of both DAW's and plugin formats.
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

That is pretty damn cool. I can’t stand it when companies use “game changer” in their marketing, but I’ll give them a pass in this case
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

I watched the video and I gotta give the guy mad points for enthusiasm!

But... I didn’t “get” it... no offense, but, it sounded like a pro-line rompler from the 90s to me... like, when I got my korg trinity plus in 1995 or thereabouts.

Did I stop watching the video too early?
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

Yup.

The 400 factory patches are associated with / created using the free VI's and plugin effects it comes bundled with (2.6G download, which includes samples used in PlugInGuru Omnisphere libraries IIRC). This makes sense 'cause there's no way to know which particular instruments any given user already has.

You're able to use any combination of VI's and effects plugins that you own to create new sounds / patches. The plugin scans your plugin folders and offers them all in drop-down menus, which you can refine and customise yourself, allowing you to pick and choose components for layering sounds to make a preset.

AFAICT there's a selection of MIDI effects included as well.

The idea is to allow you to mix / layer / modulate sounds to create monster patches using your entire plugin arsenal quickly and in one convenient place.
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Glad I'm not alone on this, mate.

The demo won't be available 'til next month IIRC, so in the meantime we'll have to rely on those who've bought it to give us the skinny on compatibility of both DAW's and plugin formats.
I’m just going to email them and ask today. I’ll post here with the reply.
Old 7th January 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
That is pretty damn cool. I can’t stand it when companies use “game changer” in their marketing, but I’ll give them a pass in this case
Same here!

Does not show Waves plugins being available to use?
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah you can use AU plugins.
You can save with AU plugins as well but John suggested using VST plugins because you can use those on both Mac and PC and he was taking about maybe eventually having a user shared library for presets.
I didn’t load up all of my au plugins but it does load them. You can scan for vst, vst3, and au plugins, individually.
It scans quickly and in the background so you can play around with it while you’re waiting.

It’s hard to say if it would work well in Digital Performer. Definitely write them and ask if they’ve tested it.

For now it’s 1.0 software.
I had a few crashes last night and I’m using the same DAW John uses. Logic.
Also it doesn’t have all the features you’d want like multiout, and full control over the included sampler. But multiout is coming and you can load another sampler for now.
Considering what it does and that it’s 1.0 software, and that it’s $60, I’d say it’s great deal.

I bought it to support John and his company.
Hes a good guy, did sound design for Korg back in the day and worked on the new Korg synth coming out. He knows his stuff and he’s shared his knowledge on his channel for years.
He’s up there with Eric Persing, sound designer for Roland and creator of Omnisphere.

At this price and the features it has, and considering the guy behind it, it was a no brainer for me.
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks Tnevs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I’m just going to email them and ask today. I’ll post here with the reply.
Thank you, motomotomoto.
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

Motomotomoto, Skippy answered my question about AU's over at VI Control.

Yes, AU's will work, but if you need to share presets with the PC platform only VST-based ones will port for the obvious reason that it's a cross-platform format.
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Motomotomoto, Skippy answered my question about AU's over at VI Control.

Yes, AU's will work, but if you need to share presets with the PC platform only VST-based ones will port for the obvious reason that it's a cross-platform format.
great, i hadn't heard back yet so thats perfect
Old 8th January 2020
Gear Nut

Has anyone got this working on Catalina?
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmo View Post
Has anyone got this working on Catalina?
They said it’s not working on Catalina at this point.
Old 8th January 2020
Gear Nut

so what about the feature to spread cpu processing over you Cores manually (it was announced for unify a long time ago). Is it working?
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneage View Post
so what about the feature to spread cpu processing over you Cores manually (it was announced for unify a long time ago). Is it working?
I haven’t really delved into that.
It definitely felt cpu effecient when I was playing with it the other night.
Im thinking that feature you mention is just how the plugin works at default.
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

Indeed, apparently every time you add a plugin layer a new core is employed.
Old 9th January 2020
Here for the gear
MIDI effect

Does anyone know whether you can have Kontakt as a MIDI effect, as well as a Vst/Inst Effect? For HGsounds and SzcZ Kontakt MIDI arps etc.,
Old 9th January 2020
Gear Addict

The only reason I can see for this is if a VSTi or DAW doesn't make use of multi-cores and threads enough as otherwise wouldn't you just load the VSTis on separate tracks and bus them together for simple layering as usual. I think I am missing what this is about?

I have seen two videos but still none the wiser as to why this would be worth the outlay. Has anyone tried multiple instances of serum (which can be CPU intensive depending on the patch) and playing midi keyboard at a low buffer setting through the mutilple instances at once? If so how does it perform?

Cheers in advance for any feedback as I feel this one is going straight over my head.
Old 9th January 2020
Here for the gear

Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
The only reason I can see for this is if a VSTi or DAW doesn't make use of multi-cores and threads enough as otherwise wouldn't you just load the VSTis on separate tracks and bus them together for simple layering as usual. I think I am missing what this is about?

I have seen two videos but still none the wiser as to why this would be worth the outlay. Has anyone tried multiple instances of serum (which can be CPU intensive depending on the patch) and playing midi keyboard at a low buffer setting through the mutilple instances at once? If so how does it perform?

Cheers in advance for any feedback as I feel this one is going straight over my head.
Most plugins are single-threaded, so a naive implementation of a plugin-chaining plugin would have all hosted plugins sharing one core, so performance would be worse than just putting them all on separate DAW tracks.

The main purpose of Unify is that it lets you create multi-plugin combinations more flexibly and quickly than most DAWs, save these as presets, and use them in other productions, even in a different DAW.

-shane

PS I'm the author of Unify
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdunne View Post
Most plugins are single-threaded, so a naive implementation of a plugin-chaining plugin would have all hosted plugins sharing one core, so performance would be worse than just putting them all on separate DAW tracks.

The main purpose of Unify is that it lets you create multi-plugin combinations more flexibly and quickly than most DAWs, save these as presets, and use them in other productions, even in a different DAW.

-shane

PS I'm the author of Unify
Thanks for responding.

Is this like AKAI VIP then?

Also, if you can save preset fx chains within your DAW, is the only difference that Unify would allow you to use these saved fx chains cross-platform in other DAWs like with AKAI VIP?

Cheers.
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks for responding.

Also, if you can save preset fx chains within your DAW, is the only difference that Unify would allow you to use these saved fx chains cross-platform in other DAWs like with AKAI VIP?

Cheers.
Similar to VIP in some ways, yes, but as you say it allows cross-platform and cross-DAW use. VIP also ONLY works with VST (afaik), whereas Unify handles VST/VST3 and AU (Mac).

The really major differences are in workflow (very easy to set up splits, layers etc.), MIDI effects support (unlimited MIDI FX-chain layers, each MIDI layer can drive more than one Instrument layer), and CONTENT -- Akai VIP, DDMF MetaPlugin, Blue Cat's Patchwork, etc. are basically utilities, whereas Unify is a full instrument which comes with 400 patches from John Lehmkuhl and other top sound designers, not one of which requires any plug-ins that don't come with Unify. MANY more patch libraries will be published by PlugInGuru and others, some of which will require specific third-party plug-ins.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you for chiming in, Shane.
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Thanks for responding.

Cheers.
I thought that, at first, but VIP doesn't have the MIDI facilities.
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

hello, your VST is not being loaded in Ableton Live 10.1.6 (sierra 10.12.6) after scanning, doesnt show up. happening with V 1.01 and 1.02. Any Solutions please ? havent been able to use this plugin since my purchase and am patiently awaiting a solution :( Also tried a recodesign -f -s of VST and no go.
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler View Post
hello, your VST is not being loaded in Ableton Live 10.1.6 (sierra 10.12.6) after scanning, doesnt show up. happening with V 1.01 and 1.02. Any Solutions please ? havent been able to use this plugin since my purchase and am patiently awaiting a solution :( Also tried a recodesign -f -s of VST and no go.
Please re-download the v1.0.2 installer from your account at PlugInGuru.com and run it, then retry. I just uploaded an updated version with updated code signing (there was a problem with our signing certificate). Let me know if it works or doesn't.
-shane
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

Unfortunately, your new 1.02 installer fails to complete installation...
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler View Post
Unfortunately, your new 1.02 installer fails to complete installation...
This is unexpected, as I've run it on three different Macs here. Can you provide a screenshot or some more details?
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

Solved failed install: When you try and run it on exisiting 1.02 previous install it fails... had to do a manual removal of all plugins and standalone and now it installs as expected. Trying new VST soon, will report back shortly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search