The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Golden Age Premier GA-800G
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n View Post
That's great!! Since you felt compelled to post and try to prove me wrong, I will ask you this....

-Where is the STOCK for SA4000??
-Where is the STOCK for SA4000+???
-Where is the STOCK for SA4000MKII??
-Where is the STOCK for SA76(blue stripe)??
-Where is the STOCK for SA2A??
-Where is the STOCK for SA87???
-Where is the STOCK for SA47FET???
-Where is the STOCK for SA47Tube???
-Where is the STOCK for the SA3A??
-Where is the STOCK for the SA2A+???
-Where is the STOCK for the SA76ADG???
-Where is the STOCK for the SA76ADF??
-Where is the STOCK for the SA670??
-Where is the STOCK for the SA609???
-Where is the STOCK for the SA1073?
-Where is the STOCK for the SA1073EQ
-Where is the STOCK for the SSL EQ??
........and the list goes on

Shall I continue!?

I rest my case!!!
(FYI: and this is coming from someone who actually owns 5 pieces of STAM gear)
Dude you are getting it wrong, you are considering Stam as AKG or Senheiser, but they are a boutique shop that does batches of replicas and moves to a different product constantly. It's not like they discontinue, they simply make a limited number of something and move on.
Old 17th February 2020
Back on track:
I found Paul's post telling and my favorite was the AA mic and then the real deal lol (of course lol).
I get the feeling the GA mic is up to snuff and sounds like a brand new 800g off the line, and with that being said Paul's thread was enough for me to get the cm800t this week coming up. At this point we're splitting hairs and I just hope whatever mic everyone here chooses brings you closer to that awesome sound we hear when we start recording!
Happy tracking everyone!
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Dude you are getting it wrong, you are considering Stam as AKG or Senheiser, but they are a boutique shop that does batches of replicas and moves to a different product constantly. It's not like they discontinue, they simply make a limited number of something and move on.
So when a certain someone repeatedly said that by a certain date they would have all their products in stock and no more wait times......I must have heard wrong!?! Must have misheard it from the tooth fairy then!! Sorry...my bad!
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
So when a certain someone repeatedly said that by a certain date they would have all their products in stock and no more wait times......I must have heard wrong!?! Must have misheard it from the tooth fairy then!! Sorry...my bad!
LOL! No you are totally right, but after all these years of seeing a business model in a certain direction it doesn’t matter what Stam says, it remains a boutique company that makes limited batches of amazing sounding gear, moves on to other products and takes YEARS to deliver. We know what Stam is despite what they claim to be.
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Any news? Should we just pick up a CM800t at $695 just Incase???
Old 19th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Right, I'm very eager to hear a sample
Old 19th February 2020
The Stam sounds incredibly sibilant. I prefer the AA by a long stretch which means that the tube has nothing to do with it.
Old 19th February 2020
Quote:
I would after hearing the Stam.
Old 19th February 2020
And done!!!
Once their stock is back in (a week and some change) I like many in this thread will be the proud owner of a CM800T!!!
Thanks Paul!!! Definitely if you're ever in the DC/MD/VA area, your next drink is on me
Old 19th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
And done!!!
Once their stock is back in (a week and some change) I like many in this thread will be the proud owner of a CM800T!!!
Thanks Paul!!! Definitely if you're ever in the DC/MD/VA area, your next drink is on me
I have one and I am telling you that you will not be disappointed! I run pretty much all my clients rap/pop vocals through this mic, a chandler ltd-1 and a tube tech cl1b and have had ZERO complaints about the quality and "that" sound . Let us know how it works out for you once you get it and put it through its paces! For the price, I think this mic is very hard to beat(and you can actually get customer support and responses to emails should you need anything from the company(not directed at GA))!

So anyone have any samples of the GA yet or is everyone who has one to afraid or too ashamed to post some as they paid 4K for a mic that sounds just like/almost identical/sub par to the one that's under 1K?!?!? Id be showing off my shiny new toy to the masses if it was that great and I was one of the first to get it!
Old 19th February 2020
Quote:
I have one and I am telling you that you will not be disappointed! I run pretty much all my clients rap/pop vocals through this mic, a chandler ltd-1 and a tube tech cl1b and have had ZERO complaints about the quality and "that" sound . Let us know how it works out for you once you get it and put it through its paces! For the price, I think this mic is very hard to beat(and you can actually get customer support and responses to emails should you need anything from the company(not directed at GA))!

So anyone have any samples of the GA yet or is everyone who has one to afraid or too ashamed to post some as they paid 4K for a mic that sounds just like/almost identical/sub par to the one that's under 1K?!?!? Id be showing off my shiny new toy to the masses if it was that great and I was one of the first to get it!
Thank you and it'll be going through a 1073 preamp to 1176 to la2a After listening to the shootout I was sold and I really liked what I heard so I'm following this thread because I'm also fortunate enough to have an amazing colleague who will be having the GA mic as well as the AA mic like myself coming around the same time. I also am a VMS owner and he definitely was adamant about how close that mic was to the Sony! I'm just glad I have the choices and so do my clients now as well so I'm sure for the cost and look everyone will be happy with this option too.
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

I have a VMS too and I think it does the 800 sound pretty well. Where it starts to fall apart is when the source gets loud and pushes over a certain threshold. That’s when stuff can get nasty and need fixing down the line. That’s what’s making me push back towards getting a “real” mic. The VMS made me realize how much I love the C800g sound which is exactly why I wanted it in the first place. The studio I work at has just about every other great vocal mic but I’m the only one who wants a C800g...so it’s on me to buy one. Lol

Quote:
Thank you and it'll be going through a 1073 preamp to 1176 to la2a After listening to the shootout I was sold and I really liked what I heard so I'm following this thread because I'm also fortunate enough to have an amazing colleague who will be having the GA mic as well as the AA mic like myself coming around the same time. I also am a VMS owner and he definitely was adamant about how close that mic was to the Sony! I'm just glad I have the choices and so do my clients now as well so I'm sure for the cost and look everyone will be happy with this option too.
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

VMS has a—comparatively—flat/plastic top end imo. Compared it to the REDD; Steven (Slate) asked for sample files so he could model it (to test, not to release), and sent back blind comparison files. I picked the REDD with 100% success.

Nothing against the VMS, just don't think it has the same quality as a great mic (or clone, CM800T beat it also).
Old 19th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
VMS has a—comparatively—flat/plastic top end imo. Compared it to the REDD; Steven (Slate) asked for sample files so he could model it (to test, not to release), and sent back blind comparison files. I picked the REDD with 100% success.

Nothing against the VMS, just don't think it has the same quality as a great mic (or clone, CM800T beat it also).
That's a bold statement because I love my VMS and only even made it this far because it drove me to listen to the real thing on my own (lucky me). I almost bought a Sony used but also read about issues it has after a number of years so when this GA mic came up so did all the Sony clones into the convo. Both my friends have the cm800t and have told me all about it but now we've got a plethora of choices and man this is gonna be a crazy month
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a bold statement because I love my VMS and only even made it this far because it drove me to listen to the real thing on my own (lucky me). I almost bought a Sony used but also read about issues it has after a number of years so when this GA mic came up so did all the Sony clones into the convo. Both my friends have the cm800t and have told me all about it but now we've got a plethora of choices and man this is gonna be a crazy month
Especially with your new addition (congrats btw!)

The C800 emulation was my favourite aspect of the VMS also, that—combined with Paul's comparisons—is what led me to the REDD/CM800T.
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Nut

Got the CMT800 4 months ago. Been using it DAILY. I love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier GA-800G-20200219_152603.jpg  
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke M2D6 View Post
Got the CMT800 4 months ago. Been using it DAILY. I love it.
Y'all are just fueling the fire lol
I just gotta make it til after this month and I'll be in the club too. But until then the vms is still getting the work done, even running after the clones. The Sony emulation just sounds great and modern and ready for mixing
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Y'all are just fueling the fire lol
I just gotta make it til after this month and I'll be in the club too. But until then the vms is still getting the work done, even running after the clones. The Sony emulation just sounds great and modern and ready for mixing
I have a client that used to bring his U67 to sessions...One session he forgot to put his mic in the case, so when he showed up he only had his power supply with him. We tracked that day with the CMT 800 and he has now quit bringing his u67. (the two mics sound totally different, we just liked the 800 on his voice better)

He also bought two on the spot, and that isnt the only time that clients have done that (bought the cmt800 on the spot.)

Clients of mine will do a couple takes on this mic and they always have something to say about it.

I have never used a c800 so I have no idea what it sounds like, but after hearing Paul G's shoot out with the C800,C100, and the CMT800 and picking the Cmt800 blindly everytime, I can easily say its a mic I just like the sound of, especially paired with a Silver Bullet into a LA3A or 1176 into an LA2A. Makes mixing EASY
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke M2D6 View Post
I have a client that used to bring his U67 to sessions...One session he forgot to put his mic in the case, so when he showed up he only had his power supply with him. We tracked that day with the CMT 800 and he has now quit bringing his u67. (the two mics sound totally different, we just liked the 800 on his voice better)

He also bought two on the spot, and that isnt the only time that clients have done that (bought the cmt800 on the spot.)

Clients of mine will do a couple takes on this mic and they always have something to say about it.

I have never used a c800 so I have no idea what it sounds like, but after hearing Paul G's shoot out with the C800,C100, and the CMT800 and picking the Cmt800 blindly everytime, I can easily say its a mic I just like the sound of, especially paired with a Silver Bullet into a LA3A or 1176 into an LA2A. Makes mixing EASY
You just super sold me cause that's exactly what happened to me!!!
Old 20th February 2020
I got sent a package from GAP. It didn't have the GA800G which was really the only mic I wanted to hear but the GA 47 Extended is very good and when I put a Flea Thiersch head on it, it sounded terrific.
The 251 is really well made but didn't sound as good (it was a bit brighter and lacked some lows) as the Bock 251 which is 4 x the price and 1/4 of the build. The Bock has the Haun capsule which is by far my favourite.
The Pre-73 DLX Premier sounds fantastic, better than the BAE 1084 I compared it too.
So I think this GAP gear is really good, the proof will be in the pudding of the GA800G though as it's such a huge investment. It doesn't have tubes in the PSU so it's not made exactly like the Sony so it'll be interesting to see if it matches up sonically.....
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Do you have an early Bock 251 or something?

I haven’t seen the inside of the GAP 251, but I saw the inside of a 47 and the wiring job was pretty amateur.

Surprisingly strong diss to say a Bock mic is 1/4
the build...and doesn’t ring true with my experiences. Not saying there isn’t possibly some extenuating circumstances.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

When there was an Audio comparison on GS between the GAP 251 and an ELAM, I found that the GAP never ever could satisfy my lust for an ELAM. However, others seemed to like the GAP 251.
Old 20th February 2020
I have never believed that Bock’s builds are worthy of the price but they sound great.
Maybe the GA47 you saw wasn’t the extended premier model. The 251 is very heavy duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Do you have an early Bock 251 or something?

I haven’t seen the inside of the GAP 251, but I saw the inside of a 47 and the wiring job was pretty amateur.

Surprisingly strong diss to say a Bock mic is 1/4
the build...and doesn’t ring true with my experiences. Not saying there isn’t possibly some extenuating circumstances.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

That’s a bummer that they didn’t send an 800 though. Is the Bock 251 a better clone than the Upton?

Last edited by Colin McCabe; 20th February 2020 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I have never believed that Bock’s builds are worthy of the price but they sound great.
Maybe the GA47 you saw wasn’t the extended premier model. The 251 is very heavy duty.
ok
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
That’s a bummer that they didn’t send an 800 though. Is the Bock 251 a better clone than the Upton?
I have one on the way I'm excited about!
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
ok
The price of US retail goods in the U.K. shops is crazy though.
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
I’ve never heard an Upton, they look good and people speak highly of them. I’d like to experience one.
Old 20th February 2020
My GA800 comes in tomorrow. This is gonna be interesting.
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I got sent a package from GAP. It didn't have the GA800G which was really the only mic I wanted to hear but the GA 47 Extended is very good and when I put a Flea Thiersch head on it, it sounded terrific.
The 251 is really well made but didn't sound as good (it was a bit brighter and lacked some lows) as the Bock 251 which is 4 x the price and 1/4 of the build. The Bock has the Haun capsule which is by far my favourite.
The Pre-73 DLX Premier sounds fantastic, better than the BAE 1084 I compared it too.
So I think this GAP gear is really good, the proof will be in the pudding of the GA800G though as it's such a huge investment. It doesn't have tubes in the PSU so it's not made exactly like the Sony so it'll be interesting to see if it matches up sonically.....
That's super great news about the Pre-73
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search