The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Golden Age Premier GA-800G
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Doesn't matter if it sounds like the real thing. If it sounds awesome, I'll happily use it, and so would any of your favorite engineers/producers.

And I would gladly put the extra money towards a GML 8900. Or an Atomic Squeezebox. Or a Fearn VT-1. Or a Mercury M72.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Doesn't matter if it sounds like the real thing. If it sounds awesome, I'll happily use it, and so would any of your favorite engineers/producers.

And I would gladly put the extra money towards a GML 8900. Or an Atomic Squeezebox. Or a Fearn VT-1. Or a Mercury M72.
The thing is cloning a sony c800g. So it does matter if it doesn't sound like the real thing. If you are happy with that you would just about have a heart attack if you used and own the real thing.

& about the GML and Fearn...I believe you would buy those unless you happen to find a clone of one that sounds close (;
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I thought we were done arguing on the thread.. silly me
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBOYO View Post
The thing is cloning a sony c800g. So it does matter if it doesn't sound like the real thing. If you are happy with that you would just about have a heart attack if you used and own the real thing.

& about the GML and Fearn...I believe you would buy those unless you happen to find a clone of one that sounds close (;
Wild how you glossed right over the Mercury piece that I mentioned. I'm guessing that one doesn't fit your narrative.

Also, if you think the GAP and Sony are so utterly dissimilar that the difference would induce a heart attack, you don't know how to use your ears. Sorry.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

ga800 isnt on the GAP site anymore.

https://goldenagepremier.com/
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusted william View Post

I guess they’ll be back with the Mk 2. I hope so as Bo really cares about the project. Personally I think a new PSU and a good Chinese capsule Like the Ref C would get there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Quote:

I guess they’ll be back with the Mk 2. I hope so as Bo really cares about the project. Personally I think a new PSU and a good Chinese capsule Like the Ref C would get there.
I actually bought a GA800. I had to get a replacement because the PSU was crackly. by the time I got the replacement I didn't have much time to test it. I tried calling the store to see about returning it but they never called me back.. then I figured I'd keep it. If they make an MK2 I hope I'll get some sort of compensation.

It's not a bad mic, but it's not a C800.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I actually bought a GA800. I had to get a replacement because the PSU was crackly. by the time I got the replacement I didn't have much time to test it. I tried calling the store to see about returning it but they never called me back.. then I figured I'd keep it. If they make an MK2 I hope I'll get some sort of compensation.

It's not a bad mic, but it's not a C800.
If you contact Bo direct I’m sure he’ll make good on it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Same price, or adjusted price (for re-launching it)?
Interesting...
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
I wonder what's going on with the GA-800 At Golden Age not on site still? They are so quiet...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

new ga-800 review

interesting review. its in german. they added a lot of hi-res audio files. i was surprised how close the c-800g and the ga-800 sound in the file where they switched back and forth between the two.

it also seems that the mic is back on the GA page again.

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzel...800g-test.html
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
The Ref C is probably the closest mic I've heard to a C800G. It lacks a tiny bit of depth but I'm interested in hearing the new version.... Has anyone heard it?
But can you close the gap more with changing the tube for example a Telefunken 12ax7?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
But can you close the gap more with changing the tube for example a Telefunken 12ax7?
You would have to experiment. Maybe a good 5751 or something military.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

https://goldenagepremier.com/ga-800g/
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
You would have to experiment. Maybe a good 5751 or something military.
But the question after all, is it necessary to sound just as the c800g? Or are we just drooling over a +-5% increase "quality", which is subjective ofcourse.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
But the question after all, is it necessary to sound just as the c800g? Or are we just drooling over a +-5% increase "quality", which is subjective ofcourse.
I think there has become an unhealthy fixation with the Sony C800G, there are plenty of decent enough mics that are bright and modern enough to capture a
"WORLD CLASS" performance or an average demo.
The trouble is the Sony does sound great and people hunger for the instant sound.
It's hard to blame them. Is the glass 10% empty or 90% full?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

So i've got a ga-800g here (borrowed) ... im currently running it thorugh a 1073 no comp.... there is suck a lack of comparision and very little information on this mic and throughout the internet on the actual sound of this product. soooooooooooo. i will refrain from stating my opinion on the mic and ask anyone out there if they would like to hear sample audio of this mic. .....

I have a u87ai for reference...

vocals would be recorded by a rap artist ....

any takers because i dont want to waste my time shooting it out if this thread is dead and no one cares ... let me know ... please dont PM ... ask on thread or like post to indicate your approval or disapproval.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don't worry Austin. There are plenty of gear heads like me, who'd like to hear your recordings...
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbdot View Post
So i've got a ga-800g here (borrowed) ... im currently running it thorugh a 1073 no comp.... there is suck a lack of comparision and very little information on this mic and throughout the internet on the actual sound of this product. soooooooooooo. i will refrain from stating my opinion on the mic and ask anyone out there if they would like to hear sample audio of this mic. .....

I have a u87ai for reference...

vocals would be recorded by a rap artist ....

any takers because i dont want to waste my time shooting it out if this thread is dead and no one cares ... let me know ... please dont PM ... ask on thread or like post to indicate your approval or disapproval.
There’s plenty of info on this thread but if you’ve got a C800G to compare it to I guess people will always be interested.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
There’s plenty of info on this thread but if you’ve got a C800G to compare it to I guess people will always be interested.
man this mic is being sold used all over the place so I'm assuming people arent pleased with it ... I will post some dry samples and some recreations of popular hip hop songs recorded on c800gs and try to get the sound in the general area because I know that's what I would have wanted before purchasing this. give me a day or so.
Old 2 days ago
I am wondering is the Manley Ref C a better buy the the GA-800. Just heard the Manley Ref C vs Sony C-800... Very close indeed. Any thoughts?

KP
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Ref C is not best IMHO on a sibilant singer (like me). I was pleasantly surprised by how well the GAP tamed my naturally bright voice.
Most people won't notice the brightness, but it effectively sneaks up upon recorded playback. (due to my strong Low Mid's covering it somewhat)

My guess (from trying and listening to it) is that the GAP will also do better on any Female voice, that is already piercing to begin with.
Chris
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Ref C is not best IMHO on a sibilant singer (like me). I was pleasantly surprised by how well the GAP tamed my naturally bright voice.
Most people won't notice the brightness, but it effectively sneaks up upon recorded playback. (due to my strong Low Mid's covering it somewhat)

My guess (from trying and listening to it) is that the GAP will also do better on any Female voice, that is already piercing to begin with.
Chris
Hi Chris, thank you for your reply. Is there any vocal comparisons with the GA-800 and Manley Ref-C? How does the over all sound compare in your experience. I did hear some youtube vids with Ref C being used and it did have a sizzly high end.

KP
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Sure thing. Please keep in mind that Southside/Bose/Aremos/Paul G, are all much more familiar with the overall C800G style "sound" than I am.

AFAIK of the active members of this thread IIRC, only Paul has carefully tested/listened to all the rivaling "contenders" (Other than understandably the very recent STAM version)
And having an original Sony makes a huge difference too!

Plus one (among many) primary difference of an enthusiast (like me), and a (extremely!) strong Producer/AE like Paul...
Is their ability to judge "which mic" will suit the mix/arrangement the best, for the specific Artist.

I know enough now, that if I was considering forking out $4K, and it was something I wasn't that familiar with (like not a 44 ribbon or U87ai)...
I'd have a more experienced Buddy listen to me on it, and give their unvarnished opinion on it.

Hopefully, when the World situation subsides, you might get an opportunity to demo any microphones you're considering.
Chris
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP2020 View Post
I am wondering is the Manley Ref C a better buy the the GA-800. Just heard the Manley Ref C vs Sony C-800... Very close indeed. Any thoughts?

KP
are there sound clips from this?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think there has become an unhealthy fixation with the Sony C800G, there are plenty of decent enough mics that are bright and modern enough to capture a
"WORLD CLASS" performance or an average demo.
The trouble is the Sony does sound great and people hunger for the instant sound.
It's hard to blame them. Is the glass 10% empty or 90% full?
Just curious if you've had the opportunity to hear the JJ Audio Akita. I haven't heard it in person but the comparison here on GS several years back put it arguable close though a touch less harmonically rich. They worked hard at getting it right though chose to use a lower voltage to avoid stressing the tube as much as in the original, which was the source of my earlier comment about the effect of that on the sound. For myself, when I am looking for the sound of the Sony, I use a Peluso VTB which I've upgraded the capacitors in, which puts it closer to the Sony than the stock version.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search